Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Thread - Mod note post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭optiplex780

Ballygunner 1-22 Abbeyside 1-16. Full time.

Ballygunner through to QFs. Abbeyside and Ballduff Upper in winner takes all next week.

Roanmore 1-20 Clonea 15. Full time.

Clonea will need a result against Passage to avoid relegation final.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭Mastermcgrath

If Ballygunner are going to be beaten it’s better that it’s in a knock out game because they won’t be beaten twice. Depressing that DLS the only team side they could potentially match them on talent base will be fighting relegation

Most probable outcome for championship :

QFS -

Lismore

Tallow/Fourmilewater

Ballygunner

Abbeyside

Mount Sion

Dungarvan

Passage

Roanmore

Relegation finals:

Ballysaggart

Ballyduff Upper

De la Salle

Clonea

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭supernova5

I know Shane, Kieran, Steven and Ryan Bennett are all brothers on the Ballysaggart team, there was a 5th Bennett playing last evening, [not sure his first name]

question, is he also a brother of the others?

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭Deisegodeo

Lismore 1-20 Fourmilewater 22. Full time.

Fourmilewater very unlucky as leading for vast majority of the match. Lismore through to QF.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,295 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Wouldn't surprise me if one of those got to the final

It's kind of unfair that the Grp A teams have to play 3 weeks in row while the others get 1 week off. QFs prob the weekend of 17/18/19 Sep ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,834 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Any match reports from the weekend lads? Any stand out players put their hands up for potentially being looked at for the county (that aren't already on the panel)?

Heartbreaking stuff for Ballysaggart, two weeks in a row where they seemed to have somehow snatched defeat from the jaws of victory. I watched that game and the Western intermediate game between Shamrocks and St Mary's/Sliabh gCua on Youtube (credit to the lads who both uploaded and produced this - really good quality). Great finishes to both games.

Waterford GAA | SHC Group A | Ballysaggart v Tallow - YouTube

Waterford GAA | Western IHC | Shamrocks v Sliabh gCua/St Marys - YouTube

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭Deisegodeo

Some really good games the weekend, Ballygunner v abbeyside was a super game, abbeyside really put it up to Ballygunner with their physicality and intensity, they are a team on the up with the quality young players they're bringing through.

in terms of young players trying to catch the eye of Cahill and his management, some good performances so far. early days in the championship still of course, but Harry Ruddle has been excellent for Ballygunner, scoring freely from play in both games so far. I didn't see Mark Fitzgerald for passage but by all accounts he was excellent in the forwards scoring 2-3. Sean Walsh and Aaron Ryan both of fourmilewater have shown glimpses that they have real potential, Walsh is an interesting one given his size and the way he plays. just a few I found Interesting the last 2 weeks, I'm sure others have different ideas!

pity to see iarla Daly go off injured early on again for lismore, hopefully not a serious injury.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭Jerry Atrick

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭siyo

Not at all, I'm sure the people involved in the Abbeyside/Ballinacourty club were delighted to have annexed another county football title as they should be.

I made the point that the focus on the football final would detract from the preparations for the game against Ballygunner yesterday. I think that was a valid and reasonable point.

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭Jjjjjjjjbarry

Harry Ruddle stood out for me too. That was the only game I could get to. Great excitement anytime Abbeyside got a few scores in a row. Prunty was all over Dessie Hutch like glue. Pity to see Ferncombe go off injured as he was a loss down the stretch. Paudie Mahoney back in action too and looked as composed as ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭Jerry Atrick

The way both games are played now I doubt it would impact hurling preparations. Hurling is a football hybrid in its current guise.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭seananigans

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭blacksuir

Only happened because no team were relegated last year. One group had to have four teams while the other three had three teams. Two teams are going down this year.

Explains maybe why they are so poor this year.

• Advertisement

How would it take from getting ready for that game. Clonea and Abbeyside did not have to play in round one (agreed between ALL clubs and officers I understand) so they had two weeks to get ready for last sundays games. Also agreed that the two clubs would NOT be in the group of four teams.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭DiscoStew

Once it was agreed to give both Clonea & Abbeyside 2 weeks preparation they couldn’t play the first week & they couldn’t be in the group of 4. They couldn’t play the first week as the championship had to kick off by that date to meet Munster Club schedule once we weren’t in the All Ireland Final. They couldn’t be in the group of 4 as that group had no bye week & thus they would have only had 1 weeks preparation if they were in that group.

As a side note, a number of games in this years championship have shown how competitive a premier intermediate championship could be, if the number of senior teams was reduced to 8. I’m thinking in particular of the 2 Ballysaggart games, vs Fourmilewater & Tallow. If 5 teams were to be removed from senior, you’d probably have looked at those 3, Ballyduff Upper & one more. Those 5 teams plus 3 of the best intermediate teams, could make up a very competitive competition but it only works if the senior championship is reduced to 8 teams. I don’t see a lot of benefit to it without reducing the number of senior teams.

I wonder does Cahill and Beavens know that the next Tipp Managers reign (Colm Bonnor big favourite) will be short term and last only 2 years. Then they can take over for the 2024 season after possibly a year out in 2023

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭whiteandblue

Fourmilewater and Tallow are possible 1/4 finalists so there would be no reason for those 2 to go down a level? On this year's form, De La Salle would be down along with possibly Ballysaggart, Clonea & Ballyduff Upper/Abbeyside losers.

I don't agree that we need a intermediate premier competition. The only issue with the senior championship is that Ballygunner are so far ahead of every other team. I would have Lismore, Mount Sion, Abbeyside & possibly Passage as the best of the rest but on a given day, I think any of the 11 sides can beat one another other than Ballygunner who could coast to 10 in a row in my opinion. Their conveyer belt of talent doesn't seem to be ending anytime soon & even losing Philip Mahony to a broken leg at the weekend is unlikely to curtail them.

The western intermediate championship is one of the best adult championships and is unbelievably competitive and has seen some great games in recent years and I'm sure the east is similar but I would have a full county intermediate championship. This rubbish of playing a group stage and no one being knocked out is ridiculous and only leads to shadow boxing. The intermediate champions are generally very competitive in the Munster championship as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭TheScoringGoal

Has Mahonys injury been confirmed as a broken leg?

Fourmilewater & Tallow wouldn’t have been in too many quarters in recent years, but your point stands re this year it a restructuring was to be based on this year alone (which would not happen IMO).

The Western Intermediate is indeed strong & I think they could compete with the lower senior teams certainly, as well as the top Eastern team(s).

I’d like to think that the introduction of a premier intermediate would provide another stepping stone towards being competitive at senior level. It seems like intermediate teams are struggling after gaining promotion in general.

I don’t imagine the Tallows, Ballyduff’s or Fourmilewater’s would vote for it, but I do think it could revitalise our championship.

Ballygunner being so far ahead is an issue that’s pretty impossible for the board to fix really. The chasing clubs just have to keep trying to close that gap really.

I’m not sure what the reference to meaningless group games when all qualify is about. Maybe I’ve missed something, but to my mind the senior groups see teams eliminated, the western intermediate only sees the top 2 in each group through to the semi finals.

think he's based in cork, best of luck to him with it,

blob:https://web.whatsapp.com/479764c2-82cc-432f-9666-acadf06ead52 congrat to yet another grandson of pat o sullivan, he had a production line to rival ford's

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Montys return

Would shock you to learn FMW have made 4/6 quarter finals in the last few years. Tallow have been a Senior team for 34 consecutive years, they have earnt the right to be allowed battle for that on the field of play with the County board relegating them at a meeting.

Only 6 years ago, Tallow, FMW and Ballyduff Upper who you mentioned were in the County Semi Finals. In all, 10/13 in this year's championship I think have been in the semi finals in that timeframe.

If you relegated the bottom 4 to make an 8 team championship in a given year, only Ballygunner, Mt Sion and Passage would have survived all 6 championships.

De La Salle have now been in more relegation playoffs than either FMW or Tallow in that time frame, albeit unusually position that there are two relegated this year.

Lismore went down to intermediate the same year. Mt Sion were finalists a couple of years ago and you'd fancy them to push for that this year, but only two years ago were run close by Clonea in knockout. Dungarvan didn't get out of their group last year, are pushing to top the group of death this year.

Ballygunner are an outlier and you could have 2 teams or 200 teams in it, they'd still have won 7 in a row. The championship is plenty competitive outside of that. What other strong hurling County has a Senior championship with less than 12 teams in it?

The only issue I could see with the Senior championship was uncompetitive formats in previous years. When they had two groups of 6, 4 teams shouldn't have been able to qualify for each group. The pre Covid format was even worse when they had a group stage that didn't knock anyone out of the championship.

Current format is probably the way to go when back to 12 teams.

• Advertisement

All good points.

Just to be clear I am not suggesting any clubs are relegated based on one years results. If it were to happen I would suggest results over a 3 - 5 year period be taken into consideration, similar to how Cork did when they restructured their championships.

It’s not a straight forward solution however.

Advertisement