Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Star Trek: Lower Decks (animated series)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,808 ✭✭✭Evade

This is quote is the Borg pursuit - perfection

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,833 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Spock, his eyebrow raised. - that is very interesting

All eyes on Kursk. Slava Ukraini.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,708 ✭✭✭corkie

This was animated before posting here? https://giphy.com/gifs/funny-cat-kitty-1lxkNQ5SDqkEYociFG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

2.3: That was freakin hilarious! Who doesn't listen to Klingon Acid Punk! 😁

I must've rewatched the shuttle go **dink** into the shields like 15 times!! 😂

So many references! So much nostalgia! Aaaaaaah 🙂

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,409 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Its always Christmas in the Nexus

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,807 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Can't really search the thread, the new episodes seem to drop Fridays on amazon prime UK but anyone know what time?

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

So is Mariner going back to being an insufferable screw up? She's like Homer's definition of beer "the cause of, and solution to, all of life's the main characters' problems" Lots more nice references this episode.

I'm adding another new Tamarian phase

• Mariner, plan in motion - an impending crisis

Rutherford's visions of how Shax came back were funny and Tom's "KAZON!" got a laugh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,382 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

So will everyone start calling it "Voy" now?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,442 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Let's hope not. It's just lazy. I certainly will not call it that.

I loved the first scene with Boimler at the replicator trying to get food and then the ship not liking him at all lol. I thought that could be a reference too maybe that the ship is alive or a characther too.

I doubt Tom Paris would much care for a challanger class ship after all he flew an Intrepid class so he must be either desperate or bored lol. I suppose it could be like taking a Toyota IQ out or a Smart car cute but funky.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Practically everyone calls it VOY on fan forums which is where the joke comes from. All Trek up to LD had a 3 letter abbreviation

What will we call Those Old Scientists of the original Star Trek?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,277 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Yeah, you type TOS, TAS, TNG etc. But when speaking with our voices we'd say "Original Series, Next Generation", etc. OK we might say DS9 rather than Deep Space Nine but other than that everything gets their full names generally

I wasn't sure AMKC knew that because they seemed pretty angry about the joke

• Advertisement
    Ms

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I loved that episode, that was more like the heights of Season 1. The character stuff between Tendi and Mariner really hummed; using that staple of comedy ensembles, with a match-up between two characters you realise never actually interacted meaningfully. It's a broken record but the character writing is so good.

And for once, the comedy worked for me. I've cribbed that the one flaw in the show is its comedic chops have been very lazy, or a bit bland. This week had me laughing out loud at various points. Poor Boimler's woes for one, but the force-field punchline was just *chef's kiss* It was a fun use of Tom Paris too.

Maybe, maybe if I had one criticism is that sometimes the Easter Eggs get a little much. But then it rarely grinds the stories to a halt either so it's not a big quibble.

I think a lot of the Easter Eggs are really only for those up to their neck in Star Trek trivia, more casual fans would miss them entirely. If you didn't know about Starbase Earheart or the Nausicans in the bar there you'd think it's just a rough bar that could be found anywhere in the galaxy.

You wouldn't need to be up to your neck to know about the Nausicaans. Pretty famous bit of TNG that anyone other than casual movie fans would surely recognize

• Advertisement

If you've only watched TNG once or twice, like a casual fan, you might not recognise it or at least not until it was pointed out.

As a bit of a survey, without googling, does anyone not know about the Nausicans at Earhart?

I didn't know the station was called Earhart but I definitely knew that "human play domjot"

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

To say again, tis just a quibble and like I said doesn't grind the stories to a halt. It's the best kind of Easter egg where the casual viewer won't be left confused, the fan instead chuckling. Just the sheer volume of nods can be exhausting!

I had to laugh doubly for this episode; usually my wife is off doing something else while I watch this, fairly disinterested; today I caught her outright laughing at the episode, pulled into the Mariner/Tendy stuff too. The forcefield *thunk* had her in stitches.

One thing about Mariner is that she, as an intentional **** up, knows that she is screwing her career but is not one to sabotage others intentionally.

She'll throw herself on the grenade willingly if she sees her actions are affecting others

"So, there you have it. The Mugato is also the Mugatu... and also a Gumato. All of these spellings are now canonically correct, and any Trekkie (or Trekker) debate about the matter has been settled."

Think they used a few more names for them throughout the episode.

And you can't convince me that Mariner isn't Black Ops

Ms

Just watching it now. Loved the teaser lol especially with what Shaxs say lol.

Was Marineer doing the knife finger thing a compliment to Alien?

I like the way they sneered Discovery there by her saying she was section 31 and not even hiding it lol

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Ms

That was an excellent episode I loved it. Best yet.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

2.4: That was fun!🙂

I think I liked the side quest most

with Tendi chasing the Doctor all over the place.

Ms

Ye that was hilarious lol. I had a fair idea it was him even before she discovered it was him. Still there sick Bay seems a bit chaotic.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement

It's absolutely criminal that a half hour, over the top, comedy show is spiritually and storywise the successor to Trek.

The Orville needs to get back. The pandemic allowing two seasons of LD to be developed is running the risk of Orville becoming redundant

Ms

It's coming. They have it all shot. It will be out soon again.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Ms

At least we have a spiritual succeser which is better than nothing at all even if it is a cartoon and on average about 22mins long.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

I enjoyed the latest one. I liked how Section31 seem to be known about during wartime.

Had a couple of laugh out loud moments, was nice to have a boimler and Rutherford episode.

Hard to believe but a cartoon is the authentic Trek in years.

Also, there is definitely more to Mariner and her back story.

Another good episode with some fun ups and downs. Of course the rumours would prove to be false, but getting there was entertaining. The Tendy stuff was fun again, glad they're trying to give her and Rutherford more to do.

As to The Orville, cool that others enjoy it but Seth McFarlane has been a huge blemish on the show, while the slavish devotion to TNG era Trek and TV made it feel like empty fandom. Lower Decks' approach feels more organic, working in the lineage while charting its own course.

Last episode was probably the one I laughed most at so far this season. Anything got to do with Dr. Cat seems to work for me and the scene in the log was my kind of immature humour

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,047 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Yeah I find Dr. Cat very funny. I lolled when she did the typical cat thing of hiding under the shuttlecraft and hissing/swiping at Tendi. Also "I admire your newconfidence. Now GTFO of the way, this isn't your patient".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,047 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Was there another dig at Discovery in this episode? "He's using the power of Math!".

• Advertisement

I do think they are getting small digs in alright. I wonder do they think their market are the viewers who are a bit disillusioned with Discovery.

Maybe it's the writers and show runners own frustration, with DSC

A lot of the show is about laughing at the tropes and absurdities of the older Trek so Discovery should be fair game. Boimlers speech a few weeks back did seem a bit more vicious than normal though (but also correct as far as I'm concerned)

Yeah. Lower Decks has laughed at all of Trek's foibles, Discovery hasn't been unique, only perhaps the most deserving of mockery.

A dig at the spinning next would be nice.

I know Mariner is pretty much Lower Decks' version of her, but taking a dig at Michael being the single most powerful and influential character in all of Trek wouldn't be a bad thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,277 ✭✭✭✭flazio

I'm not really looking for Lower Decks to be the anti Discovery to be honest. I just want to enjoy the show in its own right.

Spock is the man he is thanks to her after all 😂

Mid Season Trailer!

Duplicate Boimler!!

Borg!!!

Star Trek Lower Decks "An Embarrassment of Dopplers" Episode 5

Did they re use scenes from earlier episode of driving through a station.

Richard Kind has one of those voices that just suits this kind of character.

• Advertisement
Advertisement