Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Replace APT timer with smart switch like a Sonoff Mini

Options
  • 04-09-2021 9:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭

Hi Eveyone. I have been reading a few post on this here and am still a little confused. We have quite a strange set up in our house. We have OFCH with 4 APT timers. One for the boiler, and 3 other - one for ground floor, one for first floor and one for the Attic. See the images below. There is no immersion in our boiler so we need to set the Boiler timer to heat the water during summer and then try and match the timers to come on for each floor during the winter... Too much work. I have contacted a few electricians about changing it over and most have no interest - either its not enough work and they have bigger fish to fry!

So my question is, could I use a Sonoff Mini or a Sonoff TH16/TH15/Th10 or is there something else out there that might be a alternative. Would i have to get a different device for each APT timer or is it possible to combine 2 timers to one sonoff device .

THanks for your help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭Dr4gul4

Having Flashbacks here to my own install i inherited. One timer, Oil boiler, UFH. jesus the pain !

It's tricky to say but I can only assume they are not beside each other, but something like a 4chan Pro R2 might work ( if they are beside each other, if not, 4 shelly1's would suffice) However the real magic here is in the software, No matter what you do, you have need a few basic rules, Burner ignites, zone value opens. this is with out even thinking about the Temperature on each floor, or in the tank.

As far as the temp in the tank goes, I had no switch wire or thermostate at my tank to feed back to my main control board downstairs in the plant room. My only option here was two Sonoff Th16's measuring the Temp at the bottom and the top of the tank ( i have a solar coil in the bottom of the tank) Using this, i could then control the hot water to come on when the outside edge of the tank hit 40 degrees, and heat the water until it got to 65 degrees. For this to function i only had to call the "DHW terminal on my control board, But I also had to use another Sonoff out in my garage to open a motorized valve out there to allow the water circulate to the tank.

All is possible ! but i would start by looking at where your terminals are, then obtaining some hardware to test, writing the code ( Home assistant + node red) and extensive testing.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Alangers

Thanks Dr4gul4, Unfortunately controls are not beside each other. The burner and ground floor are aside by side and the first floor and attic are side by side. They are in the same area though but not close enough to wire into the same controller. Burner and hot water tank and all controls are all in the same place (burner just other side of the wall). There is a built in temp gauge on the hot water tank so the burner cuts in and out all the time when on to maintain the hot water.

I will do a bit more investigating and look at what you mentioned. Haven't seen the Shelly1's so must look that up.

Cheers

Andrew

Advertisement