Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Housing for All Plan launched

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭lossless

"If you make claims it's up to you.."

Says the arse stating I'm being untruthful, that I'm blaming immigrants despite the words being right here for all to see.

Yeah, you're not an agenda at all.

While you may have an alarm in your house that goes off at mention of "immigrant" and rush to the defence post haste with your singular one-note nonsense, on Earth this is about the government making promises it isn't going to keep.

And that's all it's about.

So instead of trying to distract and corrupt conversation on the number one issue in this country with feigned ignorance, why don't you answer this simple question...

How do you square a promise of 300k units, versus 360k migrants in the exact same period, as solving the housing crisis? Stay on target and answer that.

I have no agenda about anything and no idea where you came up with that.

I won't get involved in discussion with dishonest posters.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭UsBus

Reading the Indo piece today about the shortage of construction workers and bringing in UK and Eastern European workers to build the required houses. Christ talk about rinse and repeat. Where are they gonna live...? Building houses to accommodate these lads. They build more to house even more workers and before you know it, we'll have a roaring property boom again. I feel a jumbo breakfast roll coming on....

"I have no agenda"

"You're a liar"

"I just wanted to post about the war on immigrants and how it's naughty and wrong and, and, and..."

"No, I won't answer a straightforward question"

Sure thing, Jan. Bye.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,493 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

How are the racists on every post about housing?

• Advertisement

Is that directed at me?

If you are calling me racist for pointing out the obvious government statistics, then would you at least have some semblance of a skeleton and state directly "how" I am racist, and who that racism is directed toward?

If your comment wasn't directed at me, then my apologies for inferring it so.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Luxemburgo

I don't think it's racist to say if demand grows more than supply due to the import of people, we will still have a housing "crisis". In fact there is no mention of race at all in that statement.

That is not targeted on those that arrive in Ireland at all, I would say the same with x amount of internal migration to Dublin expected.

It is a bit strange this is never ever brought up in discussions of the "crisis"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,684 ✭✭✭RichardAnd

Honestly, I don't know. One doesn't need to be able to solve a problem to point out that it exists, however.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,540 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

How do I explain it? As with anything of this nature, it's complicated and multi-faceted.

However, your point was that the politicians are all creating this housing crisis deliberately, which I reject because first and foremost politicians are self-interested and want to be re-elected. Housing is THE big issue topic at the moment. It is in the self-interest of politicians in power to try and solve it, or at least ease the pressure.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,540 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

In fairness, that is a cop-out. The fact you won't even offer a solution shows you are beating on an agenda.

• Advertisement

Id probably not offer amnesty to over 20k people residing in this country who will suddenly increase the demand side of the housing market. And again that's targeted at the government, not the people involved

I don't know a solution, the housing crisis is partly due to us being a successful country. There needs to be an honest conversation, not just throw money at it

I disagree. Pointing out that a house is on fire when one cannot help to put it out is not a flaw. I have no real solution because I would not be so arrogant as to suggest that I know how to fix what is not an easily addressed problem. Is it a cop-out simply to admit a limitation?

However, if you insist, I will offer my thoughts...

Firstly, the problem, as I see it, is that the population of the country is being raised by policies enacted by the state. Why is the state doing this? Well it seems to me that it is acting in tandem with neo-liberal/globalist agendas that can be seen across the West. That is, to produce a large population base with little cultural or societal unity that can be tapped as a constant stream of wealth generating income. In other words, tax-cattle.

How would I suggest that this be fixed? Well by that, you're asking me how I propose to fix a problem that has, as I se it, been deliberately engineered by the states of the world and by interest groups. That's not exactly a one-sentence fix, with respect. Yet if I were to suggest a starting point, it would be a reform of the state to limit its ability and means to engage in such projects. To me, all that the state should be doing is maintaining roads and basic services from a totally apolitical position. Again, this is not a simple fix, and I'm lack both the intelligence and the knowledge to address it.

By the way, you earlier said that there are a lot of conspiracy theories wrapped up in the housing crisis. This is true, but what I mentioned above is not conspiratorial at all. States are rather candid in their intentions though things like Ireland 2040 and other such plans. There is no "hidden agenda" here; the agenda is perfectly clear.

So where do the 20,000 people live at the moment?

They don't require housing now?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

If we've got several thousand people's worth of accommodation sitting empty in Dublin alone - which we do - and we're still constructing hotels and student apartments - which we are - then supply & demand of either housing or building resources is a long way from the whole story.

If it's profitable to keep those units empty now, then we could stop allowing flights, boats or blimps to the island this minute and our problem would almost certainly remain as it is, because that gap between people and places to live is man-made and maintained.

Until we make it a liability for funds to keep units empty the goalposts will keep outpacing us no matter what else we do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭Marius34

"Well it seems to me that it is acting in tandem with neo-liberal/globalist agendas that can be seen across the West. That is, to produce a large population base with little cultural or societal unity that can be tapped as a constant stream of wealth generating income. In other words, tax-cattle."

"been deliberately engineered by the states of the world and by interest groups"

The prime example of conspiracy.

With respect, have you read the Ireland 2040 plan? Have you read the Housing for All plan? Are you familiar with how interest groups, NGO's and corporations can and do exert influence on states? There is no masonic lodge, coven of reptilians or aliens at work here. My reading of the available information and evidence of my own experience has led me to to the conclusion that the state is acting as I have described. Could I be mistaken? Absolutely.

What you are saying is that you disagree with my point of view any my conclusions, and I can respect and accept that. Likely, you and I have come to a different conclusion, but please do not simply label a conclusion different to your own as a conspiracy theory simply because you do not agree with it.

So we agree, we should actually look at causes and have honest conversation about what is causing housing shortages, not just throw money at the problem.

And by the way, I am not one for closing borders at all. But there are a number of reasons why we have a "crisis" in this country in housing, and a number of them the current government (or any of them) have no interest in discussing or tackling (or like the vacant property tax, or dragging their feet over).

Like this is ridiculous

"There has been particular anger at reports that high-end apartment blocks are lying idle, with the Business Post highlighting recently that in midst of a crisis 100 of the 190 apartments in the 22-storey Capital Dock near Grand Canal Dock in Dublin are vacant"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭Marius34

Yes, I read about housing plan, and I feel that I read to much about Ireland housing situation and economy.

It's conspiracy, because it's based on the same ones believes that global powers wants bad to their nations. It's conspiracy, as all other global problems perceived as being intentional and planned. It's makes no sense even to discuss such conspiracy, because it will always end in circles, as it's not based on facts, but on believes that event A is intentional caused by event B.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,493 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

The miss-match between what is available and what could be available is an issue too, most of what could be available either apartment or over the shop accommodation would not be suitable for family accommodation unless adapted for families so hugely expensive.

Then your reading of the available data has led you to conclusions other than my own. I respect your point of view, and I actually hope greatly that you are right and that I am mistaken. Believe me, I take no joy in my own musings that the state may be compromised.

I won't attempt to change your mind, as that's not generally what I try to do with anyone, but let me add one closing point. I do not believe that those who govern the states of the West want ill for the nations over which they govern. I actually think that in their own minds, they believe that they are doing what they perceive to be right. Virtually nobody acts out of a desire to be "evil", even those whose deeds are perceived as such after they take place.

• Advertisement

Then they need to encourage people to downsize (which is tricky), or in the case of social housing downsize base on current needs (which is trickier)

It feels like "spend more money" is the default Irish solution to everything

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭iColdFusion

Just going to leave this here for those who keep claiming the housing lists are only full of people in dire need of accommodation, no-one is exploiting the system and the government is to blame for not throwing unlimited amounts of money at them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

I haven't been here much lately but I have literally never seen anyone assert any of that.

Even if they did, where would they live whilst building them? Furthermore, where will the materials come from? Where will the land come from? Who will finance the building, and what will the want in return?

There are many supply issues at work in the world. One thing there is not is a paucity of human beings, for good or for ill.

I think California is actually losing people. All those taxes eh...

Migration is part and parcel of the human experience. I don't think anyone is blaming migrants in and of themselves, but rather the state's "importing" of people. I myself am the product of migrant grandparents (Italy), so I would have no issue with someone's coming here to work. The issue is the number.

More generally, mass migration is a facet of globalist economic policy. I am not a proponent of this as it causes a lot of damage to the planet in terms of resource consumption and environmental damage. I would rather see a move back to a more local economy rather than the pursuit of the infinite growth model.

My two cents.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭HerrKuehn

In Ireland we get a large amount of highly skilled immigration from other EU countries. The population is the greatest resource that a country has, I mean look at Switzerland, they don't have much in the way of natural resources and they are one of the wealthiest countries in the world.

To get a person to the stage that they are a productive member of society requires an enormous investment from the state in their education among other things. When we get highly skilled immigrants we are getting the finished article, where the investment was made by another country.

The issue here is that the social model/contract is completely broken. We have demand for a better health service, subsidised housing etc and we keep a million people outside the tax net. These are the people who are demanding increased services. The water charges protests changed my view about the country completely, people want services but they want others to pay for them. At that point I realised, in Ireland, it is everyone for themselves. It isn't about building something for the long term. I don't think our culture is suited to thinking long term and everyone contributing.

I would assume we will have a SF government the next time, but I think people are deluded if they think the housing crisis will be resolved by their policies. I am also expecting they will look to increase taxes on higher earners, so I think I will just work from another country as a remote contractor for a while to see how it pans out.

I think I recall reading that in the post-WW2 United States, there was a tax-band of 94%. That was gradually eroded over the subsequent generations for various reasons. In fact, I believe that the Korean War was paid for mostly out of taxation whilst subsequent wars were funded by debt. Perhaps not the best use of funds, but interesting none the less.

I don't know what the solution is to any of this, but I do know that there many that there are many who will attempt to profit by the selling of something called a solution. Sinn Fein likely will have a lot of success in the next election, but I expect little to change for the better. Even if there were to be a government comprising the "right" sort of people, what could it do with the state apparatus as it is? A dodgy car is largely the same no matter who is driving it.

Anyways, we shall see. I myself am single and childless, so what is to come doesn't especially worry me. On the contrary, my concerns are mostly with the younger members of my family who will be growing up in Ireland 2040, 50, 60. Personally, I would rather live in a far more sustainable, and perhaps less wealthy, society where I could live near my family and have some assurance that the next generation will not be significantly worse-off. Nothing about the current direction of Ireland, or indeed the West in general, seems to suggest that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭HerrKuehn

I suppose the main difference between now and then is that people are a lot more mobile. The state has to be attractive for people who contribute and not just be a demand on resources. I just don't see how any government can meet peoples expectations here. It will not be possible to provide highly subsided housing for a large chunk of the population.

It's not possible to provide heavily subsidised housing or other aspects of the welfare state as it is without massive levels of debt. The big problem is that welfare has become essential to survival for a very considerable portion of the population. How can the welfare state be dismantled given that? The only honest answer is that is cannot be done without considerable disruption to the lives of many. Unfortunately (or fortunately for some points of view), what we have cannot be sustained forever, so either it will collapse under its own weight or it will have to be replaced with something far less generous but far more reasonable.

My own opinion on welfare is that having a safety net for those who fall on hard times is a good thing. However we now have a situation where someone who pays no tax whatsoever may live in a fully maintained house for a song whilst those who work are denied the opportunity to enjoy the fruits of their labour through owning their own home, whilst paying the taxes that prop up the system that makes this possible! That isn't merely unfair; it's utterly and irremediably unethical.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭Mr. teddywinkles

What happens when we've enough houses. What do all these people work at then?

Advertisement