Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Joe Biden Presidency thread *Please read OP - Threadbanned Users Added 4/5/21*

Options

Comments

His decrease in approval ratings is because of the vaccine rollout? I thought you said with your last account that it was Afghanistan?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

• Registered Users Posts: 3,457 ✭✭✭francois

The list of prominent anti vaxx loons dying from covid is ever expanding https://www.sorryantivaxxer.com/ to be honest my empathy levels for these are not particularly high

• Registered Users Posts: 14,406 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

According to Nate Silver's website, Biden is firmly in negative territory. A ten-point turnaround in about 2 months and things don't get any easier, with covid cases rising heading into the fall, an economy stuttering, inflation is a growing concern, massive and I mean MASSIVE foreign policy issues at hand.

Can he turn it around?

To give context, the only presidents doing worse than Biden were Ford, Clinton, and Trump. Only Clinton managed to turn things around, the rest was dumped out of office. And I think we all know, Biden is no Clinton.

** As an aside, I find it fascinating that Clinton was so unpopular so early on, given overall his presidency was seen as a huge success in the main. Need to read more into the whys.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,970 ✭✭✭Christy42

What foreign policy issues does he have to hand? Afghanistan is done and it will be tough to get that back into the news for election season.

Covid will be interesting. Yes the US could be doing a lot better but the only actual alternative for the US is to make it far worse. If someone feels he has not shut down Covid enough they won't vote Republican which means they have to vote Biden or not vote (I am counting 3rd party as not voting but with an air of moral superiority under the US system)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,406 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

The fallout from Afghanistan will rubble on and on and on. This is not over.

Already there are very disturbing reports on a violent crackdown on women and their rights by the Taliban with I suspect a lot worse to come. ISIS are operating there now. If a re-branded Al-Qeada emerges there in the future that is also a problem. All of that rightly or wrongly will be blamed on Biden and the Dems. They have ceded the moral authority on International human rights.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,268 ✭✭✭Cody montana

Afghanistan is already out of the news cycle.

You really think most Americans care about Afghanistan?

The war is over, the goal was achieved.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,593 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

I don't think Biden is not going to suffer whatever happens with Covid. Clearly he did an outstanding job when he came into office, despite his predecessor doing nothing to help. What we have now is that a massive amount of Americans simply refuse to get behind the country and have put individual freedoms ahead of the country they purport to love. If the economy continues to stall, as the latest job numbers point to, then I think we will quickly see a widening divide between those that follow the rules, mask up and got the vaccination, and those that refuse.

Those that did help won't hold Biden responsible to the refusal of the others to help out the country. Everyone has suffered, and people will start to get more and more annoyed at those they see and prolonging the suffering.

What the anti-maskers, anti-vaccine crowd have completely failed to explain is what is the alternative? And who is going to pay for the continued shutdowns and failure of the economy to rebound. Sure, they claim that everything should just reopen, but we all know the disaster that would bring.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,625 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Dems are more interested now in the crackdown on women's rights in Texas. Biden's response to that will be far more important to them than whatever is going on Afghanistan. But do keep trying to convince yourself otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭BobHopeless

The Biden zealots have convinced themselves Afghanistan won't effect Joe and there is no convincing them otherwise. Let's see where we are with that one in a years time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,345 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Already there are very disturbing reports on a violent crackdown on women and their rights by the Taliban

A matter of indifference to most Americans

ISIS are operating there now. If a re-branded Al-Qeada emerges there in the future that is also a problem.

Only a major issue if those guys are using Afghanistan as a base to attack the West. Good reason to believe that won't happen on any scale.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,614 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

I'm pretty sure it won't be an issue in a years time but there will be some who will feel the need to keep bringing it up rather than admit they were wrong, this needs to be the narrative rather than giving opinions as to how better tackle the pandemic, or what will happen with the supreme court and Texas.

Personally? I don't think you are right.

There are zealots on both sides, ones who take every opportunity to bash biden on frivolous matters and ones who howl "but..but..trump" on the opposite side. Both equally tiresome.

Your assertion that "your side" are more balanced is a bit spurious tbh. The fact that you can admit that Biden could have handled Afghanistan better is not proof of being able to criticise Biden.

You have literally no other option than to concede that point considering it's not even remotely in question.

There are zealots on both sides, ones who take every opportunity to bash biden on frivolous matters and ones who howl "but..but..trump" on the opposite side. Both equally tiresome.

So you believe that if we both picked a few random posters on each side and spent a few minutes looking through their past few months of posts, we would find roughly an equal number of times each of those group of posters criticised their own party?

The fact that you can admit that Biden could have handled Afghanistan better is not proof of being able to criticise Biden.

In what way is that not criticising Biden?

I have made many other posts criticising Biden on e.g. transgender issues. Are you of the opinion that I do not have the capability to criticise Biden?

I reckon if you take the most vocal, you will get an equal amount of steadfast, entrenched views that are completely blinded by their bias. I'm confident that there is not such a huge imbalance between moderate conservatives and democrats.

I haven't spent a lot of time going through the thread to be very honest. I'm not aware of your criticism of biden on trans issues. What is your criticism?

You are certainly overthinking this and seem to have taken huge offense to what was a throwaway jovial comment about how funny it was to see you make a snide comment about "the other side" in response to a post about being less divisive.

I thought it was amusing. Nothing more, nothing less.

This seems like a big assumption at the start. People keep saying that there are moderate conservatives but they seem to be pretty well drowned out by the time we reach higher office. Someone is voting for these people in primaries even if people feel they have little option but to avoid dems in the actual election. The democrats show a much broader spectrum of view points in the senate/higher office. It also depends on what you call a moderate conservative given for most of the world Biden would fall under that label despite being called the extreme ticket ever by his opponent. It is very difficult to see a middle ground when the entire spectrum is massively shifted for a single country.

I am sure there are moderate republicans but at this point they are either being drowned out or have moved to the middle ground democrats.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,614 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

I think from the current head of the GOP viewpoint (and I don't think McConnell is that far right, but others are), everyone else looks left, but only because they have gone extreme right.

Who would have thought that the party of small government and low taxes would both completely blow out the national debt (and yes, they have form, but not as overt as this time) and implement a big brother spying policy in Texas.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,135 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

More posts deleted. Now back on topic if you wish to retain posting privileges here

• Registered Users Posts: 21,566 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Good move by Biden today.

And no one can argue with this statement.

“We’ve been patient. But our patience is wearing thin, and your refusal has cost all of us,” he said, all but biting off his words. The unvaccinated minority “can cause a lot of damage, and they are.”

Of course, the Republicans many of whom have manipulated their followers to not get vaccinated while they themselves have done so will b*tch and moan about this.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,411 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Republicans - Biden is not doing enough to stop covid

Republicans now - Biden is doing too much about covid

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭nolivesmatter

I wonder how people will react. Will they begrudgingly get the vaccine now, or will there be many people who opt for unemployment.

Pretty good 24 hours for Biden. Republicans were demanding he get better on vaccines and they are becoming a requirement. Spicer and Conway gone into "alternative" employment. Suit filed against Texas for their bounty hunter abortion laws. Well technically Garland but he is a Biden appointment.

I fail to see the issue with the vaccine mandate. While I am sure that some will leave if Fox news who presumably have a pretty right leaning worker base can manage it and keep going then I don't see why there would be an issue elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,625 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

“Some of the biggest companies are already requiring this,” President Biden says of mandatory vaccines and testing.

“Even Fox News."

Nicely done!

Irresponsible morons with little regard for the well being of others tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,208 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

He has to do something but it isn’t going to work I don’t think.

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭BobHopeless

This is what happens when you have extreme left and right wing views, nothing get's done. As Biden himself say's the buck stops with him and if he can't get his house in order he's toast.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Melanchthon

How will the unions respond do you think? I presume this will put them into a bit of an awkward position.

Since delta is now the dominant variant does the enforcement of a vaccine mandate with the argument of having to protect other employees make sense any more?

At last.

Should have been implemented the moment Biden ruled out any further lockdowns back in June.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,278 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,593 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Sorry, this has nothing to do with extreme left or right. This is people deliberately putting themselves in front of any notion of society of helping others.

It is about people that believe their opinion is worth as much as experts knowledge, it is about people that couldn't care less about anybody but themselves.

Biden has got his house in order, the only thing he needs to do now is actively hold those that fail to get behind the country to account. More and more companies are putting not vaccinated employees on unpaid leave. If you can't contribute to society, then remove yourself from it.

What is the line Trump supporters like to use? If you don't like the US move somewhere else. Biden has asked that everyone be responsible, if they don't like it they should move to somewhere else that doesn't require vaccines.

Advertisement