Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Plagued by scam calls *DON'T POST PHONE NUMBERS*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,051 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Getting hammered out of it with calls the last week, they start just after 8am and can get them up until 6pm or later, hanging up immediately or not answering is not making any difference. I've decided I get more entertainment in stringing them along for 10 plus minutes and completely wasting their time than to just put the phone down. They seem to have the level of inteligence of a small pigeon, for fun I have told them I am happy with Amazon Prime and happy for their £80 odd charge to come off my account as it's a great service, this doesn't seem to confuse them and they still want me to then to to the remote desktop website.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,613 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

I got 4 last week- all the numbers were the first 7 digits as my own. I answered the first one, as it looked like an Irish mobile, and I have a couple of tradesmen due to call me about some work- and I hung up as soon as I heard an automated voice from 'the department of social protection'. I rejected and blocked the other numbers that rang after that.

It's weird to see though! If my number is 084-1111-567 (for eg.) the numbers were all 084-1111-687, 084-1111-856 and so on... it's very easy to answer, especially if you are expecting a call, whereas landlines and foreign dialling numbers wouldn't get a look in from me.

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Duzzie

Just got a call after several weeks of peace and quiet. It was from "Irish Tax and Customs" who have found some errors in my tax returns (i'm PAYE so don't do tax returns) and there is currently an arrest warrant out on me. 😨😨. Was from a +353 80 4..... number. Strange as there isn't an 080 area code in Ireland.

That's because the numbers are spoofed and the calls are not originating in Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,027 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Just as an aside. If you're PAYE you should still do a tax return. I get decent money back every year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,071 ✭✭✭Lewis_Benson

Seems they are back on the prowl again.

I got 5 calls today.

Wife got 4.

M

Would giving death threats against these people over the phone land you in trouble?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,602 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

2-3 a day here still, well in the morning.. usually all between 8.30 am and 9.45 am

M

I find it particularly disturbing when you have relatives in the older generation where they use the landline primarily as the point of contact, it's disruptive to my mental health.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭NaFirinne

don't answer any numbers any more that I don't know. too many scams, and block each one that I get that I know is a scam number

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,071 ✭✭✭Lewis_Benson

Trouble with who?

They are in Kolkata or New Dehli, abuse them all you like.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭Iderown

Not so many of these calls just recently. And I love playing with them - wasting their time. Eventually blast a ref's whistle down the line at the caller.

Long time ago I managed to convince one that my name is something other than my real name. They knew my real name. So now when they call using my fake name I know straight away. The fake name continues to be used in their calls. They must sell the call data to other outfits who are in the same business.

My heart does go out to folk who need the telephone to organise their day/life.

They died off here (landline and mobile) a few weeks ago. Haven't had any in a couple of weeks. They're a pain but they pass. Sad to live your life blocking numbers or not answering any number you don't know - I couldn't live my life like that. It's a nuisance call not a terror attack.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Mrcaramelchoc

I don't mind getting the calls i can deal with them. My 84 year old mother cannot.

Its really getting to her. Her landline is with virgin media. Can they do anything if i call them?

Unfortunately, as things stand they can do nothing.

I got one again, finally, after I answered the first one and played a game with them, they stopped calling. Probably a different call centre. I couldn't answer at the time so I am hoping for another one. Any minutes I can get them to waste with me is minutes they can't spend with someone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭drogon.

The father had a call from 01-666000 late yesterday, he got a bunch in the morning too from an 086 number. But the 01-666000 number is interesting, since it's the Gardai HQ Number per a quick google search.

They can display any number they want, using simple software, this is a slightly more intelligent scammer who has done a little research. The old tech support scams could and did spoof legit Microsoft numbers. It looks a lit more convincing from their end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭ebbsy

You are going to have go go under the radar for a few years. 😆

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,240 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

My partner's son got one of those too. Hung up, googled the number and saw it was Garda HQ. Scared the bejaysus out of him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Garlinge

"I don't mind getting the calls i can deal with them. My 84 year old mother cannot.Its really getting to her. Her landline is with virgin media. Can they do anything if i call them?"

Same problem with my auld one, was afraid of a fall if they rushed in from garden or wherever to catch a call. There is a gadget that you can get that intercepts all calls, only lets thru ones that are on a set list of 'favourites'. Other ones are sent to message and requested to leave a message... of course scammers never do.

I got one! I had to be transferred to "the senior agent" David Walker who dropped the call like a hot potato the second he heard I had only 89 euro. Altogether I wasted 15 minutes of their time.

If you say something they don't like, they will falter momentarily then just battle on through the script. I was asked if I had given my personal details to anyone who might misuse them, I replied "Like people who phone from India?" I gave myself a laugh anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭scotchy

Got a scam text today (first one that I can remember), , A friend has got a few during the week too.

The scam calls seem to have stopped over the last 2 weeks.

💙 💛 💙 💛 💙 💛

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,960 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

In between the borderline comedy calls from the lads in New Delhi and the robot voice warnings does anyone ever get the odd call from a very polite live American trying to sign you up to some share trading service? That one seems to have a way higher production quality than the rest, Id love to know what would happen if I signed up and gave them some money or also what I did to end up on their contacts list.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,812 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Scam calls have stopped

Scam texts (about fake deliveries) on the rise

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭Uncle Pierre

Very much so. I got very few scam calls myself, but have had one or two scam texts about fake deliveries just about every day for the past two weeks or more.

They started just after a genuine text about a genuine delivery from one of the better courier companies. Can't help wondering if this is just coincidence, or if they somehow hacked a database of numbers that company sent messages to?

Considering people are getting the scam texts without having other deliveries, I doubt you're right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭Deub

With the number of texts about deliveries I’ve received in the last couple of weeks, I am expecting a truck to pull up any day now.

I only received one call (maybe the truck driver !!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,960 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Scam call about share trading and a scam text about one new video message just there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭Uncle Pierre

You're probably right, and it's probably just coincidence. Couldn't help wondering, though.

Advertisement