Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team 2023/24 [old thread]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

The way I see it yesterday was very similar to how ireland played under mick and Martin. Aerial bombardment from crosses getting thrown in.

under mick and Martin we’d get in behind them more and we wouldn’t be played through the center of our midfield as much.

only time we got in behind Azerbaijan was a one-two between Coleman and Doherty where Coleman over hit the pass….maybe I’m forgetting another time. I hope so because that is bad for 90 mins. Goals are mainly scored by getting behind the opposition line

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,024 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

I just don’t see that working. Who exactly do we pump it long to, in hopes of scoring? Who in that approach is gonna take the more difficult chances created than the ones we’re already missing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,127 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

God though Christie actually makes me miss the likes of McShane.

Might as well just start playing Duffy up front

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,508 ✭✭✭✭noodler

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,760 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

Already dreading the thought of having to face up to Tadic and Vlahovic again on Tuesday.

You said; "...have to revert to whatever type people feel Mick had us at previously"

I don't see the Mick approach working any better. We need to improve. not regress.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,427 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

The problem is people think that all these losses and poor performances are all for some greater good that will in some way improve the way we play down the road and some even think that this regime is even going to start to turn it around.

But the reality is very different.

One would expect that after a hard luck loss and a good performance v Portugal they would come back home and build on that confidence with a win against Azerbaijan.

But know, they barely escape with a draw.

Same after the Serbia game, good performance, scored first, fought hard for an equalizer, grounds to be hopeful.

Then they come home and are beaten by Luxembourg.

They are not building on decent performances, they are just getting worse as the tournament goes on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,508 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Ah, I guess it could have been read that way too.

I meant that despite the new approach we are "still having to revert to type" to make inroads.

Ah gotcha, yeah sorry I interpreted wrong.

You’re right though, I think we’re not doing enough of the new improved football. Crosses are grand, and they’re a really useful weapon for us, but we have to mix things up so it’s not the same every attack. Try putting a ball into feet in the box. Try getting to the byline edge of the box and pulling it back on the ground. Different things so just standing firm on high backs isn’t the only solution to our attack.

Thought we played some really nice football to get into those wide positions at times, but then always went for that age old schlock. Different routes of attack are what create a bit of confusion and start opening spaces.

• Advertisement

Good performance- loss

Bad performance- loss

Good performance- loss

Bad performance-draw.

It doesn't make for great reading but please explain how it shows we are " getting worse as the tournament goes on"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,603 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Azerbaijan are ranked 112 in the world and are the bottom seed. A draw with them is not an improvement, even if they scraped a win that wouldn't be an improvement.

An improvement would've been a comfortable win where you felt the side were just going through the gears.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,050 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Where are we in the world rankings at present, because we must be about to plummet down them very soon.

I think whatever we are at, it's a false figure. We are drawing against Azerbaijan because that's out level at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,289 ✭✭✭Azatadine

Crazy stuff from John Duggan of OTB after the Portugal defeat.

He was pushing it in a massive way in the radio too. Couldn't believe my ears.

Media going very easy on him. It's bizarre. Do they realise this guy is making a mess of future seedings, having already destroyed this campaign 4 games in.

Getting an easier ride as he's Irish. Plus, extra lenient for being LOI.

Imagine any previous manager having 1 win from the first 15, a 6% win ratio, and not being sacked, or under the extreme pressure?

He should never have been this campaign. It was clear after the Euro qualifiers he was completely out of his depth. Now he's making Stauntons era look reasonable ffs.

Please end this madness soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,289 ✭✭✭Azatadine

Yeah, Duggan was frothing at the mouth to give him a new contract now to tie him down....for Christ's sake like....he wanted it handed to him straight away.

I'm not sure what it's about but clearly most of the media have some kind of blind spot for him while it's clear enough from former players that its not working out. Richard Dunne, Kevin Doyle, Paul McGrath have been clear enough about that I feel. Brian Kerr too I think. They know more than John Duggan.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭irelandrover

My opinion is that this campaign hasn't been the disaster that it looks like from the results. The results at home to Luxembourg are terrible but the performances themselves weren't so bad. Two wonder goals against and otherwise didn't really look troubled. Against Azerbaijan we should have scored more, Idah and Molumby both had easy chances. Against Lux there wasn't much created. Connolly could have had a few against Portugal. Serbia away was a decent performance and against Portugal we were very unlucky to not come away with something.

So if Connolly could finish and we didn't concede the two wonder goals at home then we'd have 7 points from those 3 games and this is a very different conversation.

I'm undecided yet on if Kenny should get a new contract but there is a definite progression in the way we play. We need a player that can score when teams sit back because that is clearly what we struggle with at the moment. At this point I'm willing to give him the rest of the campaign to see if he starts converting performances into results.

He won't be getting a new contract. Zero chance of that happening. Failure shouldn't be tolerated, and certainly shouldn't be rewarded.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,989 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Hopefully we've learned since then. Tadic was getting all the time in the world on the ball in-between our defence and midfield when Serbia changed from 3-4-3 and Tadic came in centrally.

As for Vlahovic, the re-emergence of a form Duffy would have a better time of handling Vlahovic than O'Shea, Coleman, and Clark had. Though he's been a bench for Serbia since our game and Mitrovic starts CF, and as Sugarman pointed out Mitrovic is a different beast when he's playing for Serbia.

Do we have VAR at the Aviva, as someone pointed out last week after the Portugal game when discussing VAR, Serbia have gotten lucky that VAR isn't available at their home games. Portugal should have won 3-2 and had a legitimate goal ruled out near the end and we should have had a penalty in the first half when 1-0 up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

He will be gone if we lose tomorrow night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Ramasun

What remit were Trapattoni, O'Neill and McCarthy given when they got the job?

I'm sure they could have played a more attractive style if their job was to develop young players regardless of results.

He'll get the full campaign and will be gone when his contracts up. We won't be sacking a manager mid campaign to replace him with Jim Crawford as interim.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,943 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Yeah, tomorrow is not the free hit for Kenny that Portugal was.

Serbia are also looking to mathematically wrap up at least second place.

I'm in two minds...I want a good result to brighten the mood but on the other hand I think a hiding would make things clearer.

A boring draw is probably the worst result we can get from my perspective.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

We were one goal away from automatic qualification for the Euros under Mick. We are as far from that as is humanly possible now!! The approach that didn’t work has qualified us for tournaments, and had us in the mix for the ones we didn’t qualify for, but the approach that works has us bottom of the group?? Re-read the nonsense you’re typing. Qualifying bad, bottom of the group good.

Its fcuking na-na-na-na-na Leader stuff. People are brainwashed into thinking losing is good for us somehow. Absolutely ridiculous. Delusional stuff.

… in the post you just quoted I literally said “this current thing isn’t working”. We need something better than both.

Don't bank on it. He'll be booed off the pitch if we lose.

McCarthys second stint was 100% qualify at all costs so we can have some home games in Dublin. Then Covid kicked in.

You said it’s a “stepping stone in the right direction”. It’s a fcuking millstone dragging us down through the seeding pots making it more difficult for the next actual manager we get in. Kenny has been a complete and utter failure. I hope the entire crowd let him and the FAI know what they think of him after the Serbia game.

• Advertisement

The old thing wasn’t working and wasn’t evolving. The new thing isn’t working but is a change that has room for improvement and evolution to something that does, even if that perhaps requires a different manager to get there.

Qualifying for tournaments is “working”. That’s the point of an international team. O’Neill got us qualified. Trap got us qualified. McCarthy got us qualified first time around, got us within a goal of qualification second time around and I believe would have beaten Slovakia in the playoffs this time around.

Kenny has us battling not to finish bottom of a quite soft group. Of course there’s room for improvement!! You can’t get much worse than losing to Luxembourg and drawing with Azerbaijan at home!!!

Wouldn't be worried about what John Duggan has to say on anything football related. An out and out "everyman" cheerleading football fan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭jacool

Can someone please tell me who they can think of as suitable replacements as manager?

I think that he should be left until the end of the campaign, I don't see any plusses in jettisoning him now.

But who is out there, and what should they change?

Still don't think they'll sack him mid campaign. When Mick was sacked Kerr was heading up the underage, Jim Crawford isn't Brian Kerr. When Trap got sacked with two games left Delaney put his buddy Noel King in charge. Plus MON was still available after being sacked by Sunderland so the FAI had someone to more or less step straight in.

If they sack him Tuesday night they'll more or less will have to bring in a new manager ASAP because we really don't have anyone to step in as interim manager. I feel doing that would be worse than just finishing out this campaign, and then assessing options for a new manager to appoint next year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

People in support of Kenny go on about him trying to change how we play football yet all our goals in competitive football under him have been headers from CB's its quite funny ,

I'm going to piss a lot of people off here but i'd give the job to Big Sam for obvious reason's we are what we are lads , ]

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,481 ✭✭✭pgj2015

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,450 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

According to that article his contract doesn't expire till next July. Which includes the Nations Cup.

I'm shocked people want to scrape through qualifications at all costs. We've been the sick boy of European football for decades. I'm happy to forgo qualification to this world cup (not like we were guaranteed anyway) if it means we back a new ethos throughout the system. The only way to truly back that is to allow Kenny this campaign at the least.

Then if/when a new manager comes, he should be tasked with improving that. Not rewriting it back to hoof ball. At the moment we're missing that forward pass in the final third. If and when some proper talent emerges for us, id rather be playing positive football and have that talent come into squads that are being encouraged to play with the ball.

If it is next July and it's not being renewed he'll walk away early once the qualifiers are over. Obviously while being paid the rest of what he's owed on the contract.

There is no one out there currently which is a problem in itself. Neil Lennon is currently the bookies favourite and didn't he have a bit of a breakdown after leaving Celtic. Wasn't he videoed drunk and sounding very unwell after leaving Celtic.

A Eddie Howe or Chris Wilder wouldn't touch us with a barge pole. Steve Cooper doesn't want to return to international football. Not that we could afford any of them.

Some people probably think Hughton would walk from a contract at Forest if we sacked Kenny now. And I see Big Sam being mentioned, he'd laugh down the phone at what wages we'd offer. The man makes a living off waiting for club managers waiting to be sacked before he can swoop in.

Dan McDonnell reporting Kenny still has the backing of FAI.

Seeing a lot of comments on his timeline referring to the "Robbie Keane brigade". Who exactly are the RKB?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Mervyn Skidmore

Coleman out of tomorrow's match. Big loss.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,795 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

This is the thing, there is no readily available option out there ready to step in at short notice. International manager appointments usually take a long time, and we're not helped by the fact that the season has just started. Can't see us having a manager in place for any of the remaining World Cup qualifiers. It might not even be until next year that we can get the right person in.

Stephen Kenny will be given more time to demonstrate he is the right long-term option to manage Ireland.

But the loss of skipper Seamus Coleman to a muscle injury has stiffened the task ahead of tomorrow’s showdown with Serbia – a game that has taken on additional importance with a view to erasing the memory of the scrappy draw with Azerbaijan.

FAI officials were satisfied that the midweek performance in Portugal reflected progress that was hinted at during the summer gathering.

Confidence was knocked by a poor showing against Azerbaijan which killed off Ireland’s already distant hopes of playing their way back into the World Cup picture.

While Kenny is under pressure to get a growing band of sceptics back on side, he is not under threat of quick action if things go badly against the Serbs.

Ireland are out of the World Cup picture and a small crowd for next month’s friendly with Qatar would be damaging to the Dubliner.

However, the reality is that the remainder of the campaign can be used to measure progress with nothing actually riding on the results in the short term.

Ireland’s seedings for the Euro 2024 qualifiers will be determined by their performances in the UEFA Nations League unless the European authorities suddenly decide to abandon the rules that were employed for Euro 2020.

The team’s final ranking position in the UEFA Nations League set the pots for the qualifying draw. Ireland already know they will be in League B so it is their results throughout 2022 that will count – not the World Cup finishing position.

Next month, Ireland are away to Azerbaijan before the Qatar friendly while Portugal come to town in November ahead of the return trip to Luxembourg.

A weekly update from our soccer correspondent Daniel McDonnell along with the best writing from our expert team. Issued every Friday.

Kenny is technically under contract until next July, but the big assessment of his performance will come in November and the rest of the year will be used to define if the Portugal display or the Azerbaijan disappointment are more reflective of the team’s graph.

Cyrus Christie has been called in for Coleman.

Dan McDonnell's article this morning on Kenny.

Coleman is a big loss, especially considering how Doherty has already had two big matches and looked shattered coming off on Saturday.

My guess at a line up.

------------ Bazunu

Doherty Duffy Egan Omo McClean

---- Cullen Browne Hendrick

------ Robinson Idah

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Why do people keep banging on about Kenny and a new ethos & style

Surely that is down to the grassroots and youth level to produce players in a different mould than we currently have,

The first team mangers job is results ,results results, Play whatever style or system give us the chance of getting the points & pick the best 11 to fit that style ,

He has a few weeks with the players over the course of a year ,He won't impact them as footballers that's down to the players themselves at there clubs ,

Kenny's job is to get results ,anything else is just nonsense its a different job than a club manager

In the media apparently. They are out to get Kenny.

For all the people who say that we've no chance on Tuesday, the bookies have Serbia as high as 5/4 to win. We are as short as 9/4 to win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,450 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

Because the senior team is the pinacle of the game. If thats what's being encouraged tvthe top then it will hopefully flow down.

Kenny is also a passionate irishman who regardless of anything else has the best interests of the game in this country at heart.

The fact you want a mercenary like fat Sam to take over speaks volumes tbh. I'd rather eat my own vomit then put him in.

I'd make little changes like moving Doherty over to the left, and bring Christie in on the right. The back three I feel Duffy in the middle with Egan to his left and Omobamidele on his right. Feel Jamie McGrath should start and would have him in there ahead of Browne.

Big worry is how much Idah and Cullen have in their legs for tonight. Idahs already played 180mins this week and Cullen only came off in the 87th min.

Ah there's been some like fans that were never fans of him before he even stepped into the job. Thought it might have been within the FAI because said before they were possibly eyeing up Robbie Keane as the next senior manager after Kenny, was the only logical reason for me that they gave him a four year contract that time.

"Surely that is down to the grassroots and youth level to produce players in a different mould than we currently have"

Yeah the lads were too busy riding the gravy train to give two **** about grassroots football and youth level. Noel **** King was overseeing our youth system for what ten years.

It's why we're seeing lads like Idah, Molumby, and others still learning their trade while playing international football.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement