Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Searching this new site ?????

Options
  • 06-09-2021 10:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭

OK. I must be doing something wrong. No search engine could be this stupid. It must be me.

I did a search on a single word term. It returns "1 to 10 of 8.5k matches"

So I select the option to view by "Newest"

It then tells me "No matches for this search" (or words to that effect.

I did a search on "search". One of the first returns is a thread entitled "The search is dead, long live the search"

Aha, I thought. I am not alone. Other people have problems, I might find some answers.

Except this thread was from 2012!!!!!!

What am I doing wrong?

Post edited by Spear on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,123 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

You are doing nothing wrong... the search facility is a mess at the moment. I loose track of where I post since the 'find my posts' option seems to have disappeared. I thought it would have been easier to keep track of things by now, but I am gradually losing patience and interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

The loss of "Find my posts" plus the little icon that let you know which threads you had posted in, when you viewed the list of threads on a forum are my two biggest bugbears with this new site.

I am sure there must have been a good reason to remove them, but for the life of me I can't think of one.

There's probably loads of bad reasons, however.

Def: Committee

"Ten people sitting around for ten hours thinking up ten stupid reasons not to do the right thing that would be obvious to a single person with a titter of wit in an instant"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,123 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

I just noticed that the 'My Threads' function now seems to be working, from a recent point in time! It now shows the most recent threads you contributed to. The last time I checked, there was a single entry from a single obscure post I made in 2001. There were lots of more relevant posts to more frequent threads since then that have not returned however.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

Hey WOW!!!

Just looked at my equivalent.

Five threads: four from this month and one, for no evident reason, from January 2018.

It's the new Boards "Lucky Dip" feature!!!

"We are utterly unable to find what you searched for but here are a few random posts from down through the years that you may a) be interested in or b) be embarrassed that you ever thought that topic was worthy of mention.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,634 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Search is shite. Apparently being worked on.

Best way of finding your own posts is https://www.boards.ie/profile/comments/

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,480 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

The search is a total mess.

Can't believe it's still not fixed given the importance of the function.

Advertisement