Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Trek: Picard - Amazon Prime [** POSSIBLE SPOILERS **]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,907 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

I really hope if they do that that the films are not just about action and explosions then. Yes Picard was a bit more of that in the movies than the series but still better than the recent JJ Trek movies. By the way Film 4 are having a Star Trek Marathon from 6.20pm on Friday on. The first 4 movies on the first night and then 5 on on Saturday from 11am on.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,281 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

AMKC wrote: »
    I really hope if they do that that the films are not just about action and explosions then. Yes Picard was a bit more of that in the movies than the series but still better than the recent JJ Trek movies. By the way Film 4 are having a Star Trek Marathon from 6.20pm on Friday on. The first 4 movies on the first night and then 5 on on Saturday from 11am on.

Eh, I dunno. Gimme a choice between '09 Trek and Nemesis, and while the reboot was trash, it was still trash with good action and pacing. But that's very much deciding on degrees of badness at the same time for me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 25,607 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

At least the people involved in 09 had their hearts in it. Nemesis reminds me of Star Trek XII : So Very Tired

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

"It would be hard to do worse" - Gabriel Lorca

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Seeing a bunch of headline about it and I'm like.. OK.. that's fine.. but I don't really know who she is.

I'm guessing the headline part of it must be the Borg Queen as a character returning.. which sounds fair as a headline generator for me 🙂

Anyway.. new actress for Borg Queen announced: Annie Wershing.

She'll have a fair mountain to climb to live up to Alice Krige.. who is still out there and working in TV so I'm not sure what the deal is..

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alice_Krige

Be cool if she could do a cameo at some point. I can't see any reason not to have multiple.. if not multitudes of Queens.

If I remember correctly, it was mentioned that their species made good candidates for Queens (so.. probably could have King.. Queens 😁 either)

No note about that on memory alpha: https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Species_125

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,016 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I first knew her from 24 and lately from Bosch with the likes of Timeless and Runaways in between.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,281 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Huh. Wonder if this will as the Queen returned, or if it'll be more Lacutus / First Contact flashbacks.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭Evade

I just noticed all the cars in the tweet Slydice linked. Why?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,016 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Because it's a long road getting from there to here?

That's a good question.

I had a quick check there as I couldn't remember seeing ground cars much in Star Trek.

Couldn't see any indication in the Opening of the Motion Picture.. the Golden Gate Bridge is glassed over 🙂

but..

I remembered Into Darkness got pretty ground-level so I checked the crash scene and sure enough ground-cars.. so.. I wouldn't pin it to a time travel episode.. I wouldn't exclude it either though.

Khan crossing a road about 3:10 into this:

• Advertisement

Yeah, the JJ verse has them but the main timeline didn't really until now, Picard wasn't even sure what the were called in the Big Goodbye. Just another instance of lack of imagination or care I suppose.

Eh, I dunno. I doubt the marketing and design company/department used would have been given enough of a brief on "Star Trek", or enough time TBH, to fashion something conceptually appropriate. From my (very) brief time working in the hellscape known as marketing design, the team were probably given a brief, and about 3 hours to come up with something for publicity. The account manager probably shot down about a half dozen variants, they OK'ed the highway design 'cos it looked cool, and out it went. Plenty to hang Kurtzman over, but I"d not hold him or anyone in his radius to account for that kind of thig.

Not giving a department adequate time to do their job well is a lack of care about what you're making. It's not like whoever makes the promotional image has to wait on any of the rest of the production to do their job.

Welcome to marketing design departments; the adage that you have to pick two from it being good, fast or cheap doesn't apply here, and I'd not assume that the production team have any visibility or say in the marketing material made by (likely) an outsourced company. Marketing is its own entity these days in Hollywood. I'm not saying it's not sloppy, but this wouldn't be the first time a piece of promotional artwork failed to capture the tone of a final product. It's not unique to Trek.

A full trailer is out; and guys - it looks like it's going full The Voyage Home.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,540 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Great to see Orla Brady is back for season 2.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Yeah she is great. Seems to have more of a role this season too.

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Greyjoy

Trailer left me kinda underwhelmed. I'm getting more of a Voyager "Future's End" rather than "ST IV Voyage Home" feel from this and I can't quite determine why. I think the time travel aspect, especially to a 21st Century setting, is a very lazy money saving ploy. For me the most interesting aspect of Picard is seeing how the characters & Federation have fared in the future beyond the tv series. This just dumps all that potential for a time travel story.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,392 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Cars in Star Trek?

Ah wait, 21st century.

Post edited by TheValeyard on

All Eyes On Rafah

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭Drexel_3

I gotta say I enjoyed the first season and that trailer has me excited about season two now!

Reminds me of the voyager episode where they went back in time to LA

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,513 ✭✭✭StevenToast

Can Q go back in time and stop this dogsh1t from ever being made...also while hes at it make sure Discovery never sees the light of day....

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

I have to be honest, I never liked the time travel to the current time to save the whales plot in the Voyage Home and this looks worse. If they at least make the choice between the Dark Federation and the one we know a hard one like if the DF is secure from all outside threats in exchange for a lack of personal freedom there could be an interesting Yesterday's Enterprise type dilemma but I think that's asking too much of the current staff.

Looking forward to this. The trapped Borg Queen shot was cool!

So, would a Dark Federation have allied with the Romulans rather than Vulcan?

All Eyes On Rafah

It looks like they're leaning more towards Human a supremacist state like the Terran Empire in Enterprise. Given the timeframe it looks like the change could be altering how or even if the events of WWIII unfold.

Depending on the exact date Picard an co. travel back to there could be 3 other Starfleet officers running around San Francisco at that time

• Registered Users Posts: 13,049 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Enterprise E and the Cerritos both had buggies.

Why not a hover buggy? I never understood that scene. Unless the planet had some magic anti hover mode minerals

All Eyes On Rafah

It's weird alright. It can't even have been about budget because there's a very similar sequence later on in a hovering vehicle. A throw away line would have done a lot to justify it, it's not like Starfleet hasn't ever looked back to solve technical issues, the TR-116 being a prime example.

• Advertisement

That looks real bad.

Advertisement