Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AEW - All Elite Wrestling (*Spoilers for Latest Show*)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Here's the thing about Bryan. I actually feel he's a more important turning point for AEW than Punk is.

Punk, arguably, is a bigger story in the moment, because of the massive lay off, his public battles with WWE, etc.

But Bryan was a top guy who could have been very comfortable in WWE. He was one of their top babyfaces, and pretty consistant with being around the top of the card. He main evented Wrestlemania THIS YEAR. And despite this, he chose to walk away and join AEW. That's actually a massive shift in the landscape. A top guy from WWE, who likely would have been handed any contract he wanted, said "Nah, thanks, but I'm going over there now". That's a proper momentum turning point. Cole was a huge NXT star but how would he have been treated on the main roster? Punk, big star, but how would WWE have used him IF he was even able to go back.

Which isn't to diminish Punk's return; having him say he's back cause AEW is the place for people who love wrestling is a big vote of confidence. But having one of the top guys jump ship while still so, so popular and big in WWE is huge.

Loved the cage match. Loved the Battle Royal (even if I'm a bigger Rosa mark than Soho). Mox vs the Japanese guys doesn't do much for me, cause I just don't know any of them really. I think there was a lot of great matches overshadowed by incredible matches. And a few filler ones.

But, like...the talking point is AEW has Punk, Cole and Bryan and all are blows to WWE in different ways. You'd wonder what other "top" people will look to jump ship. Would Batista, for instance, pop up his head as someone who obviously loves pro-wrestling but wasn't thrilled with WWE? Are there top guys in there now looking and thinking they could do more, and have more fun, jumping ship? Bryan opens that "Forbidden Door" wider than anyone.

Absolutely buzzing after that ending though. You knew it was coming but it's still incredible. Proper pro-wrestling for pro-wrestling fans show.

Loved it! Usually when I buy a PPV I'm even more harsh on the show because I've paid for it but this delivered for me. Matches, surprises etc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭Cotts72

I think looking at WWE now the most likeliest to jump ship would be ricochet, viking raiders maybe even balor to get a full on bullet club elite feud

• Registered Users Posts: 29,076 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Great PPV overall.

I would have to say the fans before Cole came out could've done something other than "Yes" chants as it was like they were supporting the beatdown of Christian and all.

But good to see Bryan, Cole and Ruby there now.

They forgot about Marko being dead outside the ring after the Good Brothers hit their finisher on him.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,345 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

I've seen clips of the debuts

It's insulting how good they were and how hot the crowd was. Amazing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60,601 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I'd be very Ok with The American Dragon beating Omega in his firs match at Arthur Ashe for the world title.

Then watching Adam Cole slowly divide the Elite as he takes control.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,399 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Finn Balor, Cesaro, Kevin Owens and Jeff Hardy are the ones I could maybe see going also some from NXT now with Vince taking over

Would Edge, E&C reunion

• Registered Users Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭ThePott

Unfortunately am sick at home and was waiting for the results of a COVID test (negative thankfully) so I was home from work and threw on the PPV.

I'm not gonna go through every match but I think that was one of the best PPVs of all time, certainly in the conversation.

Something I was critical of with Revolution this year was that they over-promised and under-delivered. This time they over-promised and somehow managed to over-deliver.

There was not a dud on the card (even the Big Show match was at least watchable), The stuck the landing on every account. The cage match was one of the best tag matches of all-time (seems we say that a lot with AEW), Punk's return was excellent and satisfying, Moxley had a great match with Kojima and honestly might have popped more for Suzuki than anyone. Having Ruby win was a great moment and looking forward to her in AEW. Of course, Adam Cole and Bryan showing up on the same night was a really amazing flex.

If there was a time to pull out all the stops it was for this show and they sure as hell did. Hope this is onwards and upwards because something I've been saying a long time about AEW that I can't say about WWE is that it gets me interested in the future and what's coming next. That future is looking damn good right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

Move over MJF the real piece of sh1t has arrived and it's Adam Cole. Loved every moment of his debut, what a bollox.

Nice throw back to 2017 episode of BTE from Omega when he said challengers were either not here or beaten already or dead.

Then Cole who died on BTE before joining NXT comes out BAY BAY.

• Advertisement

Was something meant to happen during Statlander's entrance? Seemed weird with the 3 guys coming out dressed like they were and was that mat there the whole time?

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭TimesArrow

Loved it. Felt it pretty much delivered everywhere and the big debut(s) were great. This show ( esp the ending) reminded me why I love pro wrestling and rekindled that emotion that has eroded over many years. Honestly wasn’t sure if it would ever return but it feels like it’s coming back. They have so much great talent and my hope is they’re able to utilize everyone, keep everyone happy and crucially, keep us engaged with long term well thought out story telling and I feel they are very much succeeding in that regard.

how will wwe respond? They have to step it up now surely. “Super Smackdown” this Friday? ..

last night was wonderful for fans of this mad mental world of wrestling

• Registered Users Posts: 54,279 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

**** hell what a unbelievable PPV

We say the Young Bucks v Omega and Hangman is one of the best tag matches ever but I think we got one to rival it or outshine it.

What a **** PPV, seriously god damn that was sooo good.

So happy to get one of my favourite wrestlers on board Adam Cole and you think that's it and AEW gets you again with one of the best wrestlers in the World Bryan Danielson

God damn I love to see the look on HHH face seeing Adam Cole becoming Elite

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭RollieFingers

Also Mox rocking the GCW hoodie was great!

No doubt about it that AEW has the best roaster in wrestling

I'm getting a raging semi even thinking about all the possible match ups

• Registered Users Posts: 12,004 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Anything outside of Page taking the title off Omega is a misstep imo. I do think Cole/Bucks Vs Omega/Good Brothers is a logical go to. And Omega Bryan does not need a title for when you pull that match.

Something like Bryan Vs Cole, and Omega Vs Page would be great for Full Gear.

Back to the PPV, that was fantastic. Every match (with the exception of Wight - Marshall) was excellent and that did it's job as a cool down and was better than I thought it'd be. I actually think every match over delivered on my expectations

The tag match was fantastic. Up there with Walter - Dragunov as match of the year imo.

Also, Bryan's theme is excellent. It's even got his old ROH chant in it. Im looking forward to the fans chanting that as Bryan comes down to the ring.

The American Dragon forgot to change his Twitter handle :)

I can't wait for Danielson vs Garcia, you know it's happening!

People tuned into see CM Punk and boy did AEW know how to keep fans coming back for more

• Registered Users Posts: 7,534 ✭✭✭KKkitty

Is Total Bellas still going? If it is Bryan won't be on it. Britt Baker must be so happy Adam has signed. Is the Yes! chant trademarked by WWE?

• Advertisement

Punk also said in the media scrum that one day he will team up with Sting. Punk/Darby & Sting vs Garcia & 2.0 trios match surely incoming!

When Bryan was coming to the ring it looked like he was stopping himself from putting his hands up.

Just thinking of how Kurt Angle started saying "It's real!" in TNA instead of "It's true"

Bryan said the way AEW dealt with Brodie’s death was a big deal to him and wanting to work with the company as Brodie meant a lot to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,399 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Will they show up in AEW, I think I read they wanted to return to wrestling

Yes I believe their reality show is still on E

Is Cody and his missus getting their own reality show?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

Yeah yeah you can all rave about how good it was, Punk, Danielson, Cole, whatever.....Orange Cassidy screaming at Statlander was CLEARLY the moment of the night!

https://twitter.com/AEW/status/1434681833434894337

Bryan said Brie will stay with the WWE as she has a lot of work commitments involved with and around the WWE.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,850 ✭✭✭Pentecost

With all due respect to Brie, she seems like a nice person, I have very little interest in seeing her in AEW anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,534 ✭✭✭KKkitty

Cody and Brandi are getting their own show I think. Can't see Nikki or Brie in AEW anytime soon. Don't they want to go for the women's tag titles in WWE at some point?

God look at TK, damn i love how happy he is, a real fan. He's living his own fantasy booking promotion

• Advertisement

Punk wants to come in and help the young talent, I want to come in and kick their fcuking asses.

Advertisement