Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork developments

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭polaris68

Yes, that's the Lee Fields on the left hand side. What you see going on there is water mains work only.

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭thejuggler

I wondered if it may be drainage works to stop the Lee Fields becoming a pool of water for 6 months every year. It may just be connected to the Waterworks extension which is happening at the Lee Road plant across the river

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

The Lee Fields are part of a flood plain, I'm not sure how you'd go about draining the river! Though the OPW are going to give it a good shot...

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭Meursault

Looking back over the recent comments on this thread, it is clear to see there is sweet FA happening in Cork at the moment, which is such a shame.

What happened all the grand plans, all the high rise apartments, hotels, etc that were announced? It looks like the Event Centre is dead in the water.

In contrast, I see plenty of cranes and building activity in Dublin. What happened to the plan that all the investment was to go in to Cork as a genuine counter balance to Dublin?

Is this a Covid thing? It all looked so positive for the city about 2 years ago. I understand that construction stopped during the worst months of the pandemic, but that is behind us now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,600 ✭✭✭snotboogie

The crane count record was actually broken last week! There are 2 in the Square Deal, 2 in the Crows Nest, 2 in Bandon Rd, 1 in the Lee Fields, 1 in Lancaster Quay, 1 in MTU, 1 in CUH, 1 in the Mercy, 1 in Glanmire and there was 1 in Ballincollig that went down last week. The construction moved from the Docks to the West of the City during Covid as a lot of public sector projects and student apartments took over from office developments. However Horgans Quay resumed last week, we are likely to see 2 cranes there, the Coca Cola student apartments also started last week and we will likely see at least 3 cranes there, the Morrissons Quay hotel started this week and should have at least one crane and finally there is City Gate Plaza in Mahon that started 2 weeks ago and will have at least 1 crane. There was a post on twitter saying that the crane count in Cork hit a record of 20 during the Celtic Tiger, its very hard not to see that being broken early next year when big projects closer to the docks like The Prism, Dean Street Hotel and Navigation Square are scheduled to restart. There are also two major planning permissions; Kennedy Quay and the UCC City Centre Business School due before the end of the year. The city has genuinely never been busier, at least since this thread started.

As you mentioned the one big black mark is apartment developments, which tended to be taller and sexier, have completely stalled. I think we will start to see public sector supports, we can't keep major city apartment schemes stalled.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭notAMember

The planned apartment developments are now unviable to build with the recent tighter rent control measures. They were borderline beforehand.

Would you borrow millions to build apartments where the govt wipes out the future income overnight on a whim? Not a hope.

Sad part is that they are badly needed and it just makes housing supply even smaller. Policy makers need their heads examined.

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭Meursault

All good points snotboogie and you seem to know your stuff with regard to developments too, so hopefully all of the above will proceed as planned.

Shame about the apartments alright though. I suppose its wishful thinking that anything will happen with the Event Centre, but we'll see how it goes.

Thanks

It's hard to be sure about the ones that haven't started (the Prism, NSQ3 and Dean St Hotel) but you can be fairly certain that the ones that started will proceed as planned.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 whoistalking

Great to see MacCurtain street out to tender. I can’t help but think it would be better to use street lights styled more to the Victorian period and sympathetic to that architecture in the area. Not modern square street lights in the “Victorian Quarter”

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭questionmark?

Not a new development but this is a great example of how to restore buildings in the city. More of this please!

https://www.corkbeo.ie/news/history/300-year-old-cork-warehouse-21359769

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭opus

Green light for plans for student accommodation complex in Cork city 

https://www.echolive.ie/corknews/arid-40364822.html

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,404 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

[QUOTE]Deane Street: Road closure in place from 0930hrs on Tuesday 25th of February 2020 until August 2022 from is junction with Oliver Plunkett Street Lower to its junction with Clontarf Street to facilitate development of the Prism Building by CField Construction.[/QUOTE]

Looks very positive for the Prism. Road closure on Deane Street extended for 12 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭Douglas Eegit

With all purpose built student accommodation are we seeing a freeing up of houses in and around the college's or was Cork really under served with accommodation for student and not hit that tipping point yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭Burty330

This country is far more corrupt than we know. Look how many aldi's and liddl's get approval in no time. . Another one gone up where Douglas cinema used be. Meanwhile its like pulling teeth to build a few homes. The developers crushed the sextant on the grounds they were building apartments , then changed plans to offices instead , that way they make their money back quicker.

It's the same with student apartments. They're going up everywhere. All being built with hedge funds and bullshit make believe money for the elites to put into tangible assets. This is the real way of the world. It's totally fuckt up...

Lidl just got rejected in Douglas this week. The Aldi got planning under the County Council who let anyone build anything in Douglas as long as they paid rates. No way it would have gotten planning under the City Council.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭notAMember

i didn’t know it did not get permission. I’m surprised honestly. I know there is m&s, dunnes, Tesco there, but that doesn’t stop 2 Aldi given within permission within 500 metres of each other and a SuperValu in Mahon.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,404 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Dairygold going in for planning for 706 apartments on the former CMP Dairies site on the junction of Kinsale Rd/Tramore Rd.

353 units per hectare compares with the 500 per hectare JCD were planning at Albert Quay. Impressive level of density.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,463 ✭✭✭Markcheese

How did that site get shot down for retail park/ light industrial in that location -

And will anyone actually build apartments there ? Or is it just getting planning on the site -

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭questionmark?

One thing in its favour is that they don't have land acquisition costs as they have owned the site for yonks. Hopefully when Maths are done it makes economic sense although wouldn't be holding my breath for action anytime soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,244 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

That's a huge number of apartments there. Love to see the traffic and transport plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,387 ✭✭✭ofcork

Ferrero are objecting to plans for a hotel etc on airport hill.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭airy fairy

Where would that land be? Very few pickets left around there.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,259 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

We are hopeless at sympathetic design in this country. Those lighting fixtures look like something out of the bargain bucket in Lidl.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,995 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Fake ye olde design isn't the answer, either, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,259 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Modern drunkenly angled lamp posts with half the bulbs blown on our main street, yeah real cutting edge stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

Think it's the large site on the left side just after Hanleys/Lehane Motors as you're heading towards the airport.

Impressive size, it's like a taller, glass version of the Dean hotel.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 sw59td

Does anyone know the price range for Lia Fáil?

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭Douglas Eegit

Was walking past the old TSB in Douglas last week and I saw the sign has changed to 'Sold'. Anyone got any ideas of who it is/ what the plans are for the site?

It's a mega site that goes right the way back to McDonalds(assuming it's all included as part of the sale).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,794 ✭✭✭Apogee

A decision on the planning application in the Bishopstown area was made on Sept 7.

Almost 300 homes are set to be built west of the city, as 276 homes were approved by An Bord Pleanala through a Strategic Housing Development. The development is made up of 137 houses comprising of 40 two-storey three-bedroom semi-detached, 12 two-storey three-bedroom detached, 56 two-storey three-bedroom terraced,14 two-storey four-bedroom semi-detached and 15 three-storey four-bedroom terraced along with 139 apartments.

Advertisement