Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leo Varadkar story in The Village??? - Mod Notes and banned Users in OP updated 16/05

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Well just in case it gets "edited".....here we go.

The bang of desperation off this thread is quite something.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭conorhal

You're the one jumping on this aspect of the story and it's a tactic from same old tiresome damage control playbook we've all seen.

Move the story to some inconsequential aspect of it you can refute and pay no attention to to the substance. We saw this with the Zapone gig, FG hacks were eager to move the debate on to more defensible ground like whether or not the gathering was legal in the hopes that people would forget about the substance, cronyism and jobs for the boys/girls.

It's so patently transparent that it's laughable at this stage and everyone is clued into that tactic.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Christ, the stench of desperation there to try and make it match your narrative. First off to actually say "cherrypicking quotes" with "and some context"... 😂🤦‍♂️and then post that tripe.

The two links and quotes I posted are the only ones entirely relevant to the story.

Laois Coco followed the guidelines set down by (among others) Leo.

They then couldn't reverse those decisions 3 weeks later.

It is entirely irrelevant that Leo tried to make it look like he was doing something, especially after the horse had bolted. That's what his job as a politician is. In the case of Leo in particular. He tries very hard to be seen attempting to do something that he thinks will make him more popular. Even though he knows nothing can be done.

Throwing in "Again look at the facts" followed by that nonsense is a poor attempt at trying to make it suit your narrative, and imo makes you look either desperate or daft.

That whole post is nonsense random sections pulled, and had no bearing on the 2nd review, as their hands were tied. As for you constantly repeating three phrases all the time thinking it is making a point, it isn't. "Leo tried what he could do, but he isnt a dictator unless you think that he alone could reverse a decision made by a county council?" - What relevance is the dictator nonsense? He isn't even Taoiseach.

First off Leo was not alone. There are thousands of people who were trying to get it over the line, Leo was barely a ballbearing in the works of it. In fact, the most influence Leo had over the event was the swipe of a pen, signing off on regulations recommending it didn't go ahead two years in a row. The guidelines which the Laois coco followed.

So many facts you chose to avoid, and so much noise you chose to point out. - Desperate or daft.

Post edited by Suckit on

• Registered Users Posts: 27,890 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

No it didn't need to be questioned.

As is usual, the permanently outraged jumped on a journalist's disgraceful slur which was based on rumour and innuendo and treated by posters here as fact. That family must be so upset at what happened.

Some posters need to take a long hard look at themselves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,838 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Are you saying there isn't a history of people posting on allegations and 'slur' stories on this site?

Far as I can see, this story about Leo was treated no differently to other stories about other politicians.

The significant difference being that posters now accept the story wasn't true. Allegations against other politicians that have been made are still bandied about as fact here.

The absolute huff that people would comment on a story no-one here created and that nobody knew was true or false and was credible, based on previous misuse of the jet, is gas to behold TBH.

TBH the jet is entirely irrelevant. It is now just being used as a distraction from the original point. The optics were pointed out in regards to him being at the concert before there was any mention of a private jet. Kate O'Connell was talking about with others on Brendan O'Connor yesterday, and agreeing how bad it looked.

Kate O'Connell said (before any jet was mentioned) and it is still relevant:

“I do think that the pictures, to my mind, show a serious lack of self-awareness, I think the week that’s in it and I think if you’re a policymaker making decisions that are affecting all of our lives, and then you leave the country within which you make those decisions for to have your jolly elsewhere, I think it’s jarring.“I think it was completely tone-deaf.

“It just doesn’t really correlate with what people are feeling or the way people are living right now in Ireland.”

• Registered Users Posts: 14,551 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

That was a long-winded way to say absolutely nothing new.

The fact is, at the end of the day, Laois County Council pulled the plug on EP from happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,099 ✭✭✭✭rob316

I don't really care what he does in his own time, but read the **** room Leo. Criticizing the UK lack of restrictions, preaching fear in the media and he just goes against the spirit of the country he's in charge of. All while him and his party are caught up in this Zappone controversy. The public and the entertainment industry are right to be spitting over it.

He either doesn't give a **** or he has no self awareness, I'm guessing its the former.

Sometimes you need it explained to you more than once. The fact is Laois Coco were following the guidelines set down by Leo and others.

• Advertisement

Francie, even after the 'journalist' posted his grovelling retraction you were still shouting into the wind about some if's and buts. The old LBJ trick.

Retraction posted in this forum at 10:13 pm

You, with your ', if true' at 10:18 pm

..if true.... FFS!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,875 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

Tánaiste travelled to UK festival just days after calling event rules there a ‘bad example’

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/politics/tanaiste-travelled-to-uk-festival-just-days-after-calling-event-rules-there-a-bad-example-40821049.html

ouch

• Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

Considering he is always so dapper... this pose not good for his image...

Wonder who took the pic....

• Registered Users Posts: 11,875 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

Oonagh Murphy did, she works in the arts sector.

Had to close her account because of the abuse she was getting apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

I think she made a mistake closing her account as anyone who commented negative on a pic of someone who loves the camera is making a fool of themselves. Leave the account open and let these people say as they please as they have no cop-on... Its a pic of something that actually happened....

• Registered Users Posts: 27,890 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Deflect and distract, why don't you. There must be quite a few as upset this morning that their dream conspiracy fantasy theories around the government jet turned out not to be true.

Not hard to see that there are also 'many' relieved. 😁

I would imagine if it had turned out to be true, there wouldn't be many in the country surprised given the track records. And that's the enduring problem for the power swap really. The perception and optics of so much of what has gone on in this and previous governments.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Sure there was preemptive apologies and excuses at the ready and all Francie, in black and white on this very thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,656 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

I know, FG are eating themselves alive and their supporters on here cant believe how good they are at shooting themselves in the foot several times in the last 7 days. I must say Varadkar releasing his texts last week was a genius move, if that didnt happen we wouldnt be having the Department of Foreign Affairs releasing the entire trache of Coveney-Zappone texts this afternoon 👍️

• Advertisement

The guidelines as of today is that you can host a festival like EP.

The organisers pushed the date back to the end of September to get this over the line.

Laois County Council bowed to local pressure and said, "No EP in 2021 regardless of guidelines"

I am not sure how much more clearer I can be.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭Shebean

You could be honest.

Laois County Council rejects application based on ‘most up-to-date public health advice’

A decision by Laois County Council to refuse the application for an event licence for the Electric Picnic 2021, issued on the 4th August 2021 pursuant to section 231 (3)(a) and (b) of the Planning and Development Act, as amended. The decision was based on the following reasons:

Having regard to the up to date advise from the Health Services Executive in their statutory submission

Having regard to government public health measures currently in place and made pursuant to the Health (Preservation and Protection and other Emergency Measures in the Public Interest) Act 2020 and the Health and Criminal Justice (Covid -19) (Amendment) Act 2021.

There is no provision in law which enables Laois County Council to revisit that refusal or reconsider that application.

The council responded to these calls, stating such a u-turn would not be possible.

"There is no provision in law which enables Laois County Council to revisit that refusal or reconsider that application," the council said in a statement on Wednesday afternoon.

Aside from Dr Holohan's comments, the council said the HSE's advice, or the public health measures surrounding outdoor events had not changed from when the original decision was made on August 4th.

What they could have done of course is held the event, invited Varadkar, and the AG would have 'clarified' after.

• Administrators Posts: 53,813 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

There is absolutely an element of Irish society who cannot stand Varadkar and who are going out of their way to try find smear and turn it into something that will bring him down.

I have to say though, as someone with little skin in the game, this latest attempt is one of the most spectacular swings and misses I have ever seen. It's even worse than some of the Village stuff that started this thread. This entire charade is quite literally based off completely false information, a great example of people need to be careful believing a lot of the nonsense on twitter.

Twitter is absolutely full of fools who have taken this story hook, line and sinker. Trial by social media and who cares if the story is true or not.

I think you need to read it a few times,. Everything has been linked and linked again for you. If you are incapable of understanding that, then there is not a lot anyone can do to help you any further.

I have never seen anyone on here or twitter insult Varadkar for anything other than what he says and does as it relates to his position in Irish politics.

The facts are he is second in command in government. The entertainment industry had to wait 18 months to sit down with him. His government, quite rightly IMO, would not allow music festivals. Varadkar criticised the UK reopening and said it's not something we should be following. Then he attends a festival in the UK on the original date Electric Picnic was to be held. Is he that unaware or that uncaring?

If you had social media at the time, I think Garret Fitzgerald polarised people similarly. Charlie too.

I think the Twitter whinge is a bit overstated at this stage. It's here and it's here to stay.

Gets it right and gets it wrong sometimes too.

I think a lot of the ire directed at it, comes from the loss of control and some politicians don't like being answered back.

The facts are he did nothing against any rules, and he did nothing that any other citizen cannot do. This is genuinely one of the very rare occasions when there is absolutely nothing to see here.

Leo Varadkar could announce that the government are giving every man, woman and child 1000 euros tomorrow and he'd still be criticised by sections of Irish twitter and boards.ie. It has honestly become that daft. For reasons beyond my comprehension he has become the bogeyman of the Irish left and sections of the SF vote. They know he'll never be brought down on policy, so it's smear all the way, facts be damned.

I'm sure if twitter existed back in the day we'd have been saying the same thing.

I also don't want it to sound like it's only Varadkar that gets grief, though he does seem to be the flavour of the day at the moment. I am sure plenty of Shinners / other left politicians have to put up with questionable accusations as well.

It is the downside to social media, it's not about how true it is, just how wide you can spread it.

Totally disagree. Twitter is a tremendous resource with pitfalls, same as subscribing to a particular newspaper/TV news outlet.

• Advertisement

Who are you telling? Who claimed he broke rules?

Nah chief. He backed the continued shut down of the live music industry. He criticised the UK for opening up. He attended a live music festival in the UK. That makes him tone deaf, unsympathetic and a hypocrite.

Beyond your comprehension? He lies. He quoted Mean Girls when talking to the nation about Covid deaths, for a bet and a laugh. He had a housing adviser who was married to the head of Goldman Sachs Ireland during a housing crisis, which he's made worse. He lied about the Zappone appointment. Also he's under criminal investigation for leaking confidential government documentation to his friend. That's off the top of my head.

What smear? Is mentioning his shenanigans, smearing? What false accusations and slander has you believing that?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement