Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Murder at the Cottage | Sky

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭MoonUnit75

Yes, good point. There's that and the fact that she hadn't (yet) bought any presents for the children. She said it was unusual as Sophie always left them pencils or books etc. when she left. So she may have been planning to buy all that stuff on the Monday and leaving on the Tuesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭tibruit

Michael Sheridan`s book. The doctor arrived at 10.30 I think. He noted that rigor mortis was evident.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭tibruit

• Registered Users Posts: 11,061 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Never heard much discussion as to the motive for this murder. Who and why had anyone reason to kill her?

As for Bailey, no time for him whether he's innocent or not. We owe him nothing, should be be sent for trial in France if we can't be bothered.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,324 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

That's not how the ignore function works; it is not two-way and users don't get to dictate what others can or cannot reply to or so. You do however have the choice to ignore those posters so they never appear in your threads (or get informed when/if they reply to you). I would advise this if the user irritates you this much, rather than clog an otherwise engaged thread with bickering.

In regards to the Report button, it's quite clear on Desktop here, the bottom-right of any given post:

Or here on the mobile version of the site, in the bottom-left of each post.

If it doesn't appear for you in any case, please take a screenshot of what you do see, and report it on the Bugs thread in our Feedback forum; https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058199223/just-bugs-missing-functionality-reports-no-griping

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,459 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

We owe him the right to be treated fairly according to Irish law.

The DPP has repeatedly determined there is not evidence to try anyone for the murder.

Our courts have repeatedly determined there are not legal grounds for extradition.

If we can't be bothered, maybe we should leave well alone.

The thing about 'motive' in this case is it seems to come down to a completely spur of the moment thing. I don't believe for a second that a professional hitman would arrive with no weapon and use a stone from a wall and a large block from an unfinished building. That screams fantasyland. If it was a professional trying to make it look like a random attack, why not stage a burglary, break a window or lock, take something valuable from the house? This theory is more like a B-movie plot.

Her ex was verified to be in France and despite a bad break up had been on easy enough terms with Sophie since he had asked for her to loan one of his paintings for an exhibition and she agreed. They broke up a couple of years earlier.

Equally, I think the suggestion that an argument over a gate or drainage or speculation that Sophie reported Alfie for a massive cannabis operation up on the hill, which was not discovered during the extensive searches, are unrealistic. This makes Alfie a highly unlikely suspect to me. Shirley would likely have heard him leaving or coming back in to the house and disposing of clothes etc. I don't find it plausible that she would shield him after seeing first hand what the killer had done to Sophie. If Sophie was disturbed by the suggested drug operation going on a few metres from her house then it seems incredible she mentioned this to no one among her friends and family and brought her young son there.

So to my mind, whatever the motive was, it began and ended at the end of the lane.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,338 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Yeah but whatever brought her killer to her house at that ungodly hour must have some connection to the murder, whether or not he [not assuming too much there am I?] intended to do her harm when he set out. I mean it's not like the postman suddenly went postal, as it were...

Yes, absolutely. That's kind of what I'm getting at. The reason for the killer being there seems to me to be unlikely to have been murder, it was something else but then things got out of hand. So asking what the motive for the murder might be seems to be less important than the reason for the killer to be there over that time period. That reason does not seem to be to murder someone. The motive for murder seems to be an explosion of uncontrollable rage caused by the interaction outside the cottage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭flanna01

I am open to the notion that this was a random act of insanity.. But what caused it? What triggered such a brutal response?

There are many possible suspects with better motives than Bailey. I'm not ruling out a French connection either, basically because the husband would have gained from Sophie's death, like avoiding a costly divorce settlement & being the benefactor of a life insurance policy..

One things stands out here.. The sheer brutality of the assault. The many blows to the head with a building block, the doc martin foot print on her neck / face. The violence was so excessive it's relevant.

I believe the murder was not planned by the murderer.. The slab and concrete block were just fortunate to be at the place of the murder.

What threat did Sophie present to her assailant?

We know she was quite vocal when she wanted to be, didn't shy away from confrontation, could fight her own corner if needed..

Based on there being no struggle inside the house, and the assumption that Sophie purposely tied her boots up to go outside, would it not seem logical that she was alerted to something or somebody outside??

So who would be outside on a winters morning? I say morning as all the evidence suggests it was around breakfast time .....

Sophie didn't draw the curtains in her house, she liked the lighthouse beam to enter into her cottage, she would leave the lights on at night before she went to bed.

Is this not a perfect scenario for the local peeping tom??

As daylight is breaking, Sophie notices a unusual shadow outside, or catches the peeping tom near the windows..?? She goes out to confront him, threatens to tell his family and call the Gards, the pervert know's he'll be finished in the community, and has probably been in bother before for similar acts of voyeuristic offences..

He pleads with Sophie to spare him, she refuses and returns to the cottage to phone his Mother and the Gards.. In that instant, the peeping Tom makes a rash decision to silence his accuser forever.. She puts up a fight, scratches him, hurts him, he loses the temper.... And the rest is history.

One random man. One act of random violence. The family wouldn't want it getting out so conspire to protect him.

All pie in the sky I know, but it makes more sense than some of the theory's I've heard..

That's quite close to my own feeling on the circumstances. She saw or heard someone opening the gate or driving down the lane, or prowling around the house. Either she had been up and awake anyway or she got up and went to confront them. An argument ensued and the killer may have struck her without thinking. She panics and runs and is chased down, by which time the killer is in a completely uncontrollable rage.

As far as the husband in concerned, I've not seen any reliable information that he was in financial difficulty or actually needed to have life assurance on his wife when he was by far the main earner and had assets. It seems unlikely they had to sign a mortgage together, most accounts say he bought the house in Toormore outright for her. She just had to pick a place. So I don't buy any of the motives of financial gain or messy divorces. By all accounts they had left their troubles behind. Her relative in one documentary says that she told him she was leaving Daniel, but that was while she was having an affair.

It seems unlikely that, having been divorced at least once if not twice before that Daniel would be green enough to walk into a divorce that could leave him broke.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭CowgirlBoots

"You saw her in Spar and she turned you on, walking up the aisle with her tight arse. You went to see what you could get and she was not interested." - Ian Bailey

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭flanna01

From the dawn of time, men have chanced their arm for the love of a fair maiden... Rejection does not result in the smashing of the said fair maidens skull....

By the way, I think that quote was from a Gard interrogating Bailey?

Rejection across a pub floor or in the queue at Tesco is a very different scenario than a weirdo showing up at your door like a freaky stalker while you're alone in a remote place, in the middle of the night and them possibly stinking of drink.

The quote is what Bill Fuller testified IB said to him a few days before he was arrested and interrogated, so it couldn't be him regurgitating what the gardai told him. IB denies the conversation ever took place. Bill Fuller testified at the libel case and travelled to France to testify at the trial there, which seems to make it unlikely he was motivated to make it up to help the gardai.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭DivilsAdvocate

I believe that was McKenna, there's one article which seems to confuse Mr C for McKenna but the Fennelly report states they are separate people.

This quote is from Bill Fuller - repeating what Bailey said to him. Rejection CAN be a motivator in the mind of an already disturbed person. And attempted rape often results in the killing of women whether accidental or not.

Because Martin Graham went to Ian Bailey and told him what was going on and the gardai were bribing him to get incriminating evidence, and gardai got wind.

You majorly understate what Gardai reportedly offered him, ounces of pure afghan hash, cash for statements. It wasn't a sambo during a catch up meeting he was being given.

On the bandon tapes you can clearly hear a gardai ask him "I suppose that's going cost us a bit financially, is it?" in regards to Graham giving a statement. Being given hash is also discussed on the tapes.

Deleted due to accidently hitting send whilst typing

Post edited by DivilsAdvocate on

Yes but I believe Bailey claims he was repeating what Gardai were trying to beat into him when he was arrested.

As in guards were telling him you saw her in Spar and got turned on etc.

• Advertisement

Bailey claims? Uh huh, ok. Bailey has a habit of blurting out things which he later changes and finds a convenient excuse for... including his initial alibi "claim".

• Registered Users Posts: 11,061 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

I would think that the idea that she went out down the lane in the early hours of the night/ morning and just happened into someone who lost the plot after an argument is pretty fanciful. Some sort of sexual predator is possible but then she would very likely have known same person, because that's the norm. They may have had motive if she rejected their advances and they thought they'd be exposed. But they'd need to be pretty deranged to do that and would surely have come to light afterwards. Unless they were skilled in manipulation of stories.....

Other than that, who had motive? Possibly the estranged husband but seems unlikely given how she died and that they seemed to have come to a mutual understanding. If it wasn't Bailey, then the likelihood lies in the other males of the local community. I find it hard to believe that a woman would bash another woman's head like that. Bailey remains No1 suspect, not least on his own admissions and will always be. Frankly the idea that you'd admit to killing in such a well known case and then say it was a joke, is in itself proof that the suspect is deranged.

That's not what's in the Fennelly report. As the report explains, any confession or information obtained using bribes would be inadmissable at trial and would likely cause a mistrial. The report says that Martin Graham mentioned hash but the recording shows he was not offered, promised or given hash.

A detective is not going to give a witness thousands of euro out of their own pocket. That would have to be authorised higher up, which would leave a paper trail as the money would have to come from somewhere. The gardai said Martin Graham came to them and said he wanted thousands of euro for information. The gardai told him to take a hike. They offered him some money for expenses, tobacco and clothes. Both of the detectives involved claimed for small expenses for small amounts.

As the report points out, it seems incredible that a garda who was illegally giving a witness a large amount of illegal drugs would ask a technician to go in the car with them to record the conversation.

I think a more likely story is Martin Graham thought he could enrich himself by playing along with the gardai, try to get them to offer him drugs and then go to the papers with the story.

If you think about it rationally, if a garda is that paranoid about a witness that they get a technician to install a secret recorder and travel with him for the meeting, do you think he would actually go on to give the person a big slab of hash?

As explained above, the timing is wrong, Bill Fuller says the conversation was several days before he was arrested. He went to Baileys house to say there were rumours going around that he might be involved. At that point IB had not been officially arrested or accused of anything.

I suppose it depends on what you believe is more likely, a man might have a dark sense of humour or a man gotten away with a disgusting murder is now going around confessing to it and telling random locals that he did it.

Same with the washing bloody clothes theory, are we really to believe the same person who committed a brutal crime and left no trace is going to locals and asking them to wash clothes covered in blood.

"Going to locals"? I believe JT is the only one who may have helped with the "bloody clothes washing". It's not like he was running around the neighborhood asking everyone to wash his blood stained knickers.

Again comes down to what you believe is more likely, I struggle to believe that Martin Graham would out of the blue mention hash if he hadn't already been given some. Quite strange to ask a gardai for an illegal drug, which was much more frowned upon then than is now.

I believe maybe in the Jim Sheridan documentary they say that the reason a wire was placed on Martin was because Gardai were aware he was being a double agent.

Graham has also stated that the night he told Ian Bailey he was working with the guards he brought with him hash and two bottles of wine that the guards had given him.

You say that its more realistic that Martin Graham went to the guards to enrich himself, but you'd have to wonder why then he would buy wine and hash out of his own pocket and share it with Bailey regularly if he was as greedy as you say.

As mentioned above, its also on audio record that a guard asked him was a statement going to cost them financially.

Also the point about the guards would have to leave a paper trail if it was higher up, don't make me laugh. As discussed posts back, many pages were torn from an evidence book. A bloodstained gate was disintegrated and a wine bottle missing. Are we really to believe there would be a paper trail if they were giving cash to get Bailey to say something incriminating.

And what date was Fullers statement do you know?

To me the most likely scenario is that the gardai gave him money knowing it was to buy hash. Martin Graham's account is that he told the gardai he didn't know where to get hash himself so they would have to supply it. That sounds extremely unlikely that a known drug user would tell the gardai they were the only ones who could get him drugs. The gardai do seem to have a soft approach to cannabis in the area, if you are to believe the DPP report they knew people that were supplying small amounts of hash and were letting it go.

Whether or not there was a paper trail, if it came out under cross examination that a witness was paid large amounts of money to provide statements then it would cost them the trial. If it didn't come out during the trial the gardai would then be leaving themselves exposed to a homeless drug user who could get them sacked. It seems much more likely that they were leading him on in case he did get information that was useful. Personally I think the garda was trying to get Graham to say 'as I said before, I want a big payout for this' so it would be clear he was almost trying to extort money.

• Advertisement

The trial would surely be over no matter what they gave Graham for statements. I don't think the DPP or a judge would look at it and say 'Ah it was only a couple of hundred pounds, drugs and alcohol they were giving him at a time. Not thousands."

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement