Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team 2023/24 [old thread]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭McFly85

They’ve scored 9 in the last 6(or 5 in the last 5 if you want to exclude Andorra) as opposed to 1 in the previous 8. That tells me that they’re improving on that respect.

While they got no points they led in both Serbia and in Portugal. That tells me that Kenny will try and win games instead of settling.

The big negatives right now, are the Dublin games against the lower seeds, and I think it’s a big minus for Kenny that he needs to sort out. Getting his forwards and midfielders used to breaking teams down during play will take time, though.

But the trends show that the team is improving, albeit slower than we’d probably like. And considering how much change the team has gone through, it’s probably not too far away from where we’d like to be at this point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,795 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

McClean has come out fighting in the press conference anyway - https://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2021/0906/1244960-mcclean-irish-media-get-a-kick-out-of-failings/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

Kenny’s team couldn’t score in 2020 being the point. Micks team could get on the scoresheet.

now in 2021, Kenny is tweaking the “pass through them” philosophy he had last year to attacking from wide positions philosophy favored by Martin and mick and we are scoring again

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Ramasun

I'm an optimist I think we'll get a draw tomorrow, might even win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,989 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

So you're saying sort out the LOI before more money is used to develop Irish grassroots football?

Irish players will always leave here to play in better leagues, the same way that players leave their own leagues all over the world if they're good enough to leave. That's a given but you don't see these other countries cutting funding because their players aren't staying in their country. Look at the effort Luxembourg put into developing players and they actively help their players find clubs outside Luxembourg once they reach a certain age.

Azerbaijan have an average of 26 full time employees working in academies. We've got zero, along with Andorra, Northern Ireland, and Luxembourg. But the last two their have full time national academies instead.

The LOI is never going to be a viable option for players to remain in Ireland, it just isn't because lads will move onto places when they outgrow the environment they're in. But what it could be with investment is a place for young players to learn their trade before moving onto better things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,914 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Would you put money on Ireland to win? Seriously sounds like blind hope. Come to think of it those blind Brazilian footballers in the Paralympics had better positioning and movement than this Irish soccer side!

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

Azerbaijan has lots of something we don't... oil and gas

We can't afford to do what they do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,943 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Robbie Keane was strongly defending Steve Staunton right up to the end of his reign. He even went on the late late show to defend him.

I wouldn't take much stock of what players have to say about managers in times like this. They aren't in a position other than to defend the manager.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,939 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

has a look at the last few years of competitive games. since Euro 2016, only 2 goals have been scored by out and out forwards. Daryl Murphy in the first WC qualifier v Serbia in 2016, and James Collins v Serbia earlier this year. (open to correction on this).

before then there was Robbie Keane, Johnny Walters and even Shane Long. while we don't have them now, we should have forwards who can take a friggin shot and get it on target. McClean said that about Roy Keane in training, that he just wanted them to hit the target. If the goalie saves, then grand but at least hit the feckin thing.

Can't we just make better use of the resources we have?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,395 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

Stupidest comment I've seen in the thread but if you believe that then it doesn't matter what manager is in charge I assume?

Is Kosovo full of oil and gas money, they've 10 full time employees per club?

Is North Macedonia full of oil and gas money, they've 11 full time employees per club?

Is Estonia full of oil and gas money, they've 12 full time employees per club?

Etc etc etc

It is amazing how many Irish people many with an interest in sport are so blissfully unaware how backward Ireland is in terms of football infrastructure

In fairness he's not wrong about one thing. We are fickle, and IMO are often worse than the English, which is saying something. And it's not like McClean just came out with comments in support for the sake of it, he was asked a question and answered it. Plus don't see anything in those comments actually defending Kenny.

He says saying it's a transition period is an easy thing to cling to and they need to start winning and the critisim stops.

Sounds like they have an efficient model.

Who pays for them?

Maybe get a representative from Kosovo, Nth Macedonia or Estonia to oversee a restructuring of Irish soccer.

Spot on Charlton said in the 86 WC all the teams played the same time on the ball playing through a number 10. All great with time on the ball. Charlton said it would take Ireland 'years and years' to play like that and compete. So he mad it simple closed down constantly made it uncomfortable for technical opponents. Made opposition defenders turn with balls into the corners. He revolutionised International football then the Danes successfully copied him.

Grand Kenny wants to go tippy tappy. But it is useless for the sake of it when there is no threat. Piss easy for any side to set up against. Need penetrating forward passing. Ireland do not have the players simple as, not technical.

Bit that really winds me up about Kenny what has happened closing down players. He wants to play like Barca. Admirable as it is, but Barca have a four second rule to win the ball back! Basic stuff, don't need technique to work hard, organise and close down.

I think Ireland should stick with Kenny not just for this campaign but for the next one. If it works grand. If it doesn't at least it will be a wake up call for Irish soccer. And will kill airy fairy 'notions'.

SK getting questioned on his position in the pre match presser. Pressure is building. Good to see the journalists finally ask the questions. No hiding now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,450 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

So basically what you and the frog are saying is the rot started with Jack. Instead of taking years to play football the way it should be played he opted for a patch and was gifted with some of our best players to help him implement it.

Imagine how far he might have taken that group with more ambition. Imagine if Jack had laid the ground work for proper football and a manager looking to build on that inherited the keans/duff/dunne et al.

It is not a stupid comment

1) Ireland have no technical players to play tippy tappy that is a threat to teams (not mangers fault completely)

2) Ireland is clearly disorganised defensively and do not look solid positionally (manager's fault completely - he has had time to work on a system of defensive play.

3) when attacking - players have limited options - poor positional movement (both manager and players fault - easy to play against no variety)

Blind Brazilian soccer team are well coached know their jobs - fully sighted Ireland- don't and are not.

• Advertisement

He must think Irish people want money taken away from day to day services here and redirected to Irish soccer. How much money does the racing industry recieve from a tax on gambling here in Ireland. Very easy solution would be to ring fence a percentage of the money taken in from gambling on soccer and actually use it to build a footballing industry here in Ireland.

I'm sure the billionaires and multi millionaires who get this tax money from a tax on gambling to fund their past time won't go into financial ruins from recieving just a little less than they are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,128 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Lots of people think Ireland can just show up and expect to compete without any work being needed behind the scenes

Good call on taxing gambling profits to be redirected into the game.

It's being called for for awhile from lots of people, even from some political parties. But the big two parties ain't gonna upset the racing industry.

We're basically given tax money to people like JP McManus who don't live here to avoid having to pay extra tax themselves.

The FAI was until recently 'run' by John Delaney. TBH many would say thank god the govt didn't throw more money at that outfit! Could you imagine?

Not true 'the rot' did not start with Jack Charlton. He cleverly used a 'work around' to make Ireland successful quickly. 'The Rot' in Irish football started in the 1960's after the Irish football fans turned their heads to English football. Plus those running Irish football were uneducated/no business acumen - unable to capitalise on massive crowds that used to go to a drums v bohs - or rovers etc. Flights got cheaper to England (fans turned away) and the 'thicks' that ran Irish football ran it into the ground. To blame Jack Charlton alone for the current state of Irish football is a logical fallacy.

The real cause is Irish fans who deserted the LOI, and the people who ran the LOI who had no cop on how to capitalise on it when it was popular. You only have to look at other sports and how they have shown Irish football up since. You only have to look at how there was such low demand for tickets for the first home game where fans were back the last day in the AVIVA.

• Advertisement

You can build infrastructure without it going through the FAI

We're third in the world for gambling losses (aka profits for bookies) per capita behind Singapore and Australia.

We're never going to ban it but at least lets see something returned.

Yes. If you look at rugby you don't see Irish fans slavishly supporting English rugby clubs every week. They support the home game.

That's because other sports like rugby have been managed so well compared to football down the years.

It's a shame, we are paying the price but we are where we are.

We need big changes in how football is run and governed here. Then the govt can give more support.

Unfortunately that's long term project, many years, and won't help us in the short or medium term.

See I don't think the FAI wanted this whatsoever, and if they did say anything about it it was just being vocal for the sake of being vocal. If the FAI received more money like that then they're would have been more eyes on them to watch what they were doing.

The blazers cute hoors, and clever enough to just keep the right amount of government funding coming in to keep the gravy training rolling, but not enough funding that there'd be massive uproar with its mishandling.

Demand wasn't low, I've seen loads of people online complaining they couldn't buy tickets because they needed to buy two tickets when all they were looking for was a single ticket. That turned off a lot of people, myself included because I wasn't spending €80 for two tickets when I only wanted one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,289 ✭✭✭Azatadine

• Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭Tchaikovsky

What's he supposed to say when a journalist questions him about his position?

Not what that Spain fella said on Irish football fan TV. He said tickets were being 'pushed' late in the day for the game. Seemed very annoyed about it

A rugby setup would be great. LOI could be like the AIL. Schools comps would be your feeder to provincial and national academies and 3 teams competing in a celtic league but for many many reasons that will never happen.

Agreed though big changes are required and I think Kennys appointment and his current approach are the stepping stones to that change. I fully think fans short-sightedness is the only roadblock to this change.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

Going from third and 1 goal off automatic qualification to second last on goals scored is not getting worse? What fricking metrics are you using? Feelings??

And a lot of tickets weren't snapped up at first because of the stupid pod rule, and as I said I know lads that were looking for tickets but wouldn't fork out for two tickets rather than one. I'm sure you had lads buying tickets and hoping they could flog the second one to anyone which actually defeats the purpose of the pod.

Imo they should have had a bundle offer. You get tickets for both games, in the same seats for both games. I'd have went to both games.

Even this morning you go over to YBIG and you see lads complaining about the same thing of having to buy two tickets if you want to go by yourself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,795 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

The way some people are talking, you'd swear that our players never even looked at a football until they got a call-up to the Irish team. More than half the players available to us have come through very good English underage set-ups. The idea that we're now one of the worst teams in Europe and shouldn't be expected to beat even the worst teams just doesn't wash.

Having a goalscorer, any type of forward with a modicum of confidence and talent will do at this stage.

• Advertisement

Sounds like he's coming out fighting anyway, fair play to him

How much does Irish football contribute to the economy here compared to the racing industry?? According to Deloitte, racing is worth approx 1.8bn to the Irish economy yearly.

I really couldn't disagree with anything he's said there. He has a different remit then previous managers. So he needs to be judged over a larger time frame imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭Stewball

Whatever about giving up on Kenny - fair enough, his record has been poor.

But don't give up on the idea of playing decent soccer by replacing him with the likes of Lennon, Hughton or Allardyce.

I've never in my lifetime seen us bottom of a group this far into it and it hurts and it's embarrassing to see that, but getting rid of him now would be idiocy of the highest order. Reverting to dinosaur mode would drive more people away from the game here.

You can see that he wants to do the right thing for Irish football, to integrate all of the underage squads with the idea of promoting those good enough to the seniors and there are some potentially excellent players coming through (Coventry, Ferguson, Moran, Kilkenny, Noss etc); the players are playing for him and he has a good coaching team behind him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,128 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

The main reason rugby is better supported is because we don't lose all of our best, good or average players to the UK.

But I agree with what you are saying. We done nothing and expect to be rewarded for it. Im all for an IRFU or MLS style closed league central contract system but I'm probably a little biased as a big centre like Limerick would probably be guaranteed a team over more rural clubs who usually suffer under these systems

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭Zico !

No point sacking Kenny now hell walk away with a handy pay off which they dont have -he wont get his contract renewed imo.

Problem with Kenny is hes changing his team and formation every game when theres no need to at times.Hes also p1ssed off a lot of people with his disregard of the football previously played.

Impossible to say really when there's no football industry here as we treat it as a hobby. So the only figures you'd probably have to go by would be how much an Ireland match night is worth to the local economy.

Exactly my point, people are whinging because racing gets money pumped into it, but this is because it gives an almost guaranteed return. Football doesn’t.

• Advertisement

The football played previously was pure scutter

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement