Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All Ireland Final this weekend - pub situation

Options
  • 06-09-2021 5:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭

Hi all,

Heading to croke park on Saturday, haven't been in Dublin for a night out since April.

I suppose it's wishful thinking but the GAA supporter in me thought Saturday night things might be loosened a bit as regards pubs opening, after the game is over.

Do all pubs in Dublin shut at 11:30 on the button? Vaccinated so none of that is any problem.

Just been talking between us as a group of friends, and we're thinking we might be better off driving back to Tyrone/Mayo for the night for the craic if Dublin is still very strict and everyone has to sit down in pubs etc.

Things are a bit more loose in the rural pubs in our home county to say the least!!

Have to cancel the hotel before Thursday so will probably make a call on it then. With the Big Tree gone & Quinn's, it's actually hard to know where to go that's decent before and after the game. You've the red parrot, mcgrath's etc obviously in drumcondra, but they're not the best places and fill up very easily. Not sure what city centre area is like for post GAA matches or if they'd want to see us in jerseys at all.

I suspect a good number of Mayo people will be staying, however a lot of Tyrone people I've been talking to are going back home to party (if they win!) .

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,798 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Some pubs breach the 11:30 but there will be obvious enforcement this weekend so don't expect to find anywhere. You would want to get as far away from Croke Park as possible to have a chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Some places are closing at 10.30 too. There will be extra extra enforcement this weekend after the carnage and kickback after the hurling.

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭Fiyatoe

Damn. Could be difficult enough to find any late houses, heading over the bridge into temple bar / south side is a bit of a minefield knowing where to head.

it’s the one night of the year you don’t want to be back in your hotel lobby shortly after 11:30!

In a normal year. It's still not a normal year.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,798 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Temple Bar will also be closing hard by 11:30. Anything obvious will not be open late!

• Advertisement

Thanks 👍 sounds like it’s better to head home. Dublin is still not itself until after the October bank holiday (hopefully) ….

What about before the game?

i was always a Quinn’s / Big Tree man but they’re obviously non runners.

never bothered with red parrot , Kennedy’s or McGrath’s. Fagans was always ok but small.

then as you get closer obviously Croke Park hotel isn’t open at present? Gills and Hogan stand wedged!!

a friend mentioned cusacks?

You'd be better off looking at pubs along the train line to Drumcondra. 12th lock in Blanchardstown is right beside the train station. Very different vibe to the pubs you mention though

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Compo82

Quinns and the Big Tree are gone. For the hurling final there were huge crowds outside the Red Parrot, Ryans and the Bridge Tavern. Loads drinking cans from off-licences on the streets. Most of the pubs in town seem to enforce the rules but I know of a couple of pubs that had lock-ins but I'm not going to name them here!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭pottokblue

Cusacks is lovely they've put some tables outside, the Confession Box has refurbished and inserted a hatch for match days. Postmatch I'd head out to Tyrone/Mayo for the celebrations cos 22 Sam will be back to Dublin😁

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,530 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Last Saturday night I walked from the Aviva Stadium to Dame Street via Baggot St, Camden St, South William St and a few others along the way and could not find a pub to sit 5 of us along the route. My recommendation is to travel home or else if you are hanging around in Dublin make sure to have somewhere booked!

Advertisement