Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Irish schools being sent ideological gender identity "pledge packs"

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

@mohawk . A very small percentage of people have a condition called gender Dysphoria and one of possible treatments for that is transitioning socially, medically and/or surgically.

Remember it's not a physical , medical or psychological condition ,but needs surgery , psychology and drugs to treat in the case of puberty blockers .....

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Think you have your genders and your sexes mixed up there horse.

How many genders are we supposed to be working off .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,354 ✭✭✭✭endacl

endacl

bingley / bongley/ boop

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 975 ✭✭✭Parachutes

I don’t, believe me. Think you’re the one who’s deeply confused to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,269 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

How the LGB community have let themselves be so overrun with other letters has surprised me tbh. The conflating of sexuality and gender identity seems extremely simplistic and there seem to be quite a few LGB people who wouldn't appear to enjoy being categorised with those represented by the TQIA+ in the new acronym...

While there are very, very few educated people left in society who have a problem about what two grown adults get up to in their love lives, the same can't be said in relation to trans issues - even many who are happy to accommodate somebody who's transitioned by referring to them with the correct pronouns etc will never actually see them as a "real" man or woman, and while you can tell them they're wrong to think that way and point to the scientific research showing differences in brain activity etc, they can point to the chromosomal and other biological differences which support the argument that the person is not a member of the biological classification to which they identify.

So, while society may then take the reasonable step of differentiating between sex and gender in order to accommodate those whose gender identities don't match that of their biology, that's opened the door for those who don't identify as either male or female and a whole raft of very subjective takes on gender have emerged. While I've no doubt that there's some merit to the arguments of some of those in this space, there also seems to be an awful lot of attention seeking going on here by those who want to be seen as being somehow more special than the rest of us.

By all means we should encourage children not to bully others on the basis of their sexuality or gender identity (or, indeed, on any other basis should any gingers be reading this :p) but this campaign seems to be going further than that with it's seeking to get schoolchildren to proselytize on their social media on what are extremely complex issues that many, if not most, adults have yet to get their head around. It's not like climate change where the vast majority of the scientific community are in agreement, we're looking at subjects where it often seems that no two "experts" are in agreement as to what should be considered a valid gender or sexual identity and which shouldn't... I mean, even those identifying as pansexual could be accused of being transphobic bisexuals!

Ah so when you're factually incorrect you decide to go straight for the personal attacks. Straight out of the playbook.

Imagine the confusion if a black person stated their preferred pronouns was the bad n word.

Some people's head would explode.

Do we refer to them by their preferred pronoun? Do we tell them that their pronoun is just made up and not real?

See I don't know the answer to this.

You and others ask this question all the time to derail from the conversation when you know nobody knows for sure what the answer is. It's completely disingenuous.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭MilkyToast

The idea that people have a gendered "soul" distinct from their sex is fundamentally a supernatural idea, no more provable than the existence of any deity.

“Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." ~C.S. Lewis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭olestoepoke

I agree and whilst it'll do very little to stop bullying it is definitely a good thing to teach respect and tolerance. That said, my kids know there are only two genders and are well prepared for any nonsense they hear in school.

It’s a biological fact there’s only two genders. Your makey uppy fantasy world will never change that.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,249 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

utter failure of logic there.

'the bank teller was rude to me'

'why, what did they say to you?'

'i said the bank teller was rude to me, not several bank tellers, what is wrong with you?'

said no-one ever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

I've lost count,

Its like a game of countdown

Give us a another vowel please.

• Advertisement

So you're basically trying to write out transgender people even though they've been there since day one in acronym.... T is not a new addition.

Modern English is actually pretty much gender neutral, unless you specifically make it not so.

You really don't have to go back very far to find a period when formal writing just ignored women entirely.

A letter to the bank manager:

Dear Sir,

(The bank manager turns out to be Mrs Miggins, who is then quite annoyed).

I remember people arguing that it was totally reasonable to write all business letters to "Dear Sir" no matter who you were writing to and that wasn't all that long ago.

I was reading an old document from the 1970s and it was all about how "When the student attends a university lecture, he shall ensure that he has enrolled with the department administrator. She will ensure ..."

The student might be Mary and the administrator might be John.

We've moved on a lot from that in the past few decades and really it makes very little difference except it stops just annoying people for no reason other than some notion that someone has about sticking labels on people.

It's perfectly easy in English to write without doing any of that. It applies to any context really where you're being open and neutral. There's no reason in English to keep applying gender. It isn't required in the grammar, nor is it required in the meaning.

The other issue you get is people jumping to conclusions about gender neutral names, of which there are many, or names they're unfamiliar with e.g. some Irish ones sometimes, but plenty of unfamiliar names are not going to be immediately obviously male or female.

Why make life more complicated than it needs to be?

Your example works specifically because no gender is defined.

"My mother was rude to me?"

"What did they say?"

Is patently absurd.

"Nobody has to go if they don't want to."

Works, because no gender is defined.

"My brother asked me to go with them?"

Back to absurd, and also vague.

“Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." ~C.S. Lewis

It's not absurd at all. It's actually how English works.

I remember some Spanish speakers I was teaching once finding it quite weird that we say "This is Mary" or "This is John" when we introduce them because it wasn't gender specific and they saw it as being as if we were introducing an intimate object, but that is how English works. It's much less caught up on definitions of gender in grammar than many European languages.

We don't get up on stage and say "Hello! She is Mary!" We say "This is Mary"

Who's that?

That's John.

You don't say "He is John" in English. You might say it Spanish or Italian.

You can say:

"My mother was rude to me?"

"What did they say?" or "What did she say?"

Both are completely correct and intelligible.

It is a very gender-neutral language and has dropped (often quite long ago or never had in its modern form) things like grammar rules around genders of nouns and agreements with verbs and adjectives and use of feminised forms of job titles and so on is considered completely archaic, and has been for quite a long time.

You'd sound like you were speaking form the 19th century.

Seems to be some people on this thread just getting annoyed about common English grammar and syntax as "woke" despite the fact it's been part and parcel of the language for a very long time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,789 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,211 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,429 ✭✭✭Morgans

It's refreshing to see people using their real names on Boards. I'm presuming Hector Savage is your real name. You could change it to jsdkgjsdfkgjk if you wanted and everyone would have to call you jsdkgjsdfkgjk when referring to you.

You're wrong. This is my wheelhouse.

And it's for that very reason—the fact that has historically only been used in the singular where gender is unknown, unclear or needs to be concealed—that some dictionaries have started adding a new definition related to people who claim to be non-binary.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭sekiro

Yes. Exactly.

Now, can we add a bit of complexity to this?

Do you think it's possible to take that good intention and subvert it in such a way that it actually causes harm? (intentional or otherwise)

The one that throws me a lot is when you're somewhere like Belgium at a conference and you get someone say called Anne Other and in Ireland we'd likely just introduce them as "Anne Other" in Belgium they will tend to call them "Mrs Other" which is quite jarring.

"And now to talk about her paper on the impact of the GDPR on cheese packing, we invite Mrs Other."

and then a few minutes later "Oh right.. that's me is it!?"

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭sekiro

I'm wondering if there is a definitive list of pronouns that people can choose from or is it more of an anything goes kind of thing?

I assume people cannot have pronouns that might be deemed offensive to others?

Has to be answer Surely even to cover the basics otherwise we're dealing with nothing but hypotheticals

If you have a proven record of worshipping at the altar of woke you can be whatever you want. Otherwise, tread very carefully.

There was an effort to "cancel" Gina Carano when, after several months of harassment from trans activists insisting she put her pronouns in her bio, she added beep/bop/boop. Which was unacceptable.

That's the stupid **** that gets gun nuts coming to your school

• Advertisement

So nothing to do with whether or not gender is defined then?

I get what you’re saying - grammatically it doesn’t scan. Linguistics be like that 😏

Your wheelhouse is obviously a museum of 19th century language then, because both are used quite interchangeably.

If you want to specifically define the gender, you can. If you don't you don't have to. There are examples where someone might, and there are examples where someone might not. There isn't really a hard rule of use context where that would be misunderstood or sound particularly strange or be incorrect.

If you want to apply arbitrary rules that don't actually exist, have fun in your wheelhouse.

Language isn't rigid and inflexible, and English is by far and away one of the most flexible and adaptive European languages when it comes to grammar and syntax. It's an almost totally analytical rather than highly synthetic language, so things like gender are generally specifically addressed in discrete helper words, and don't form part of the syntax or grammar structure at all. They're treated quite separately.

If you compare it to say French, the gender of a noun is carried through all the parts of a sentence and in some latin languages the gender of the person being addressed may even be built into the verb forms.

Yeah, we were talking about "they/them" as singular pronouns. Which, it's true, are nothing new - BUT the have only (correctly) been used historically in the singular where gender is undefined/concealed/unknown etc.

Each to their own, but I think the current push to force they/them as universal singular pronouns (until, of course, one discovers that a person has defined pronouns and then it becomes absolutely imperative that they be used regardless of what they are) is doomed to fail.

There are plenty of resources where you can look this stuff up.

Indeed there are. Maybe you should go read the ones published after 1950.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭blackbox

Maybe I'm just a crank, but I would put using "they" for singular in the same category as using "of" instead of "have".

However, I respect anyone's identity choice and object strongly to bullying.

I think the point she's making somehow is that the whole idea of children being asked to pledge of allegiance to a flag at all is a bit bizarre.

I mean, can you imagine having to stand up and pledge allegiance to the tricolour ?!

There's a bit of a cult-like DPRK quality to flag worship.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,590 ✭✭✭LLMMLL

Many a parent has thought they successfully taught their kids to have identical values to them.

You're going to be in for a shock someday.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,590 ✭✭✭LLMMLL

It can't be your wheelhouse as you are completely incorrect.

People can and do say "they" even when gender/sex is clear and known.

Can you explain why it's your wheelhouse? PhD in linguistics? Hard to believe since you're making a massive and basic error that any linguistics program would have corrected you on in a basic level class.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,844 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

But yet we in Ireland require religion to be taught in all schools.

Are you opposed to religious education being taught to children?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,191 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

How many people do you think have been chromosome tested?

And what about xxy and xyy?

Everything isn't black and white.

Schools are promoting respect and inclusion.

It's not as if they're replacing the Morning Prayer with a Pledge of Allegiance to the LGBTQ+ community.

Erra, I genuinely do get where you’re coming from, but the whole concept isn’t about success or failure. It will always and only ever be confined to a tiny minority of the population. Everyone else just doesn’t get bent out of shape about these things.

Whether it’s one group of progressives demanding an end to objectification of women, another set of progressives demanding an end to binary classification of gender and sex, another set of progressives demanding people accept gender bending or gender and sex stereotypes, these people have always existed throughout history, and they exist in every culture.

It’s exactly as much as you said - to each their own, and then there are a minority of people who can never keep themselves to themselves, and want to impose the particular beliefs of their ideology on everyone else in order to appear more progressive or more pious than the next person. Most people have a chuckle and get on with their lives when they see this stuff, it’s just not the threat to society it’s made out to be is all.

I don’t care for the idea of personal pronouns, and I’ll happily ignore anyone who introduces themselves with their personal pronouns. Neither of us have anything to gain or lose from each other in that scenario, I’m perfectly happy to let them off and think whatever they want, and generally they’re happier doing the same. Entertaining them is only encouraging them.

You're confusing gender and sex. You can't prove biologically that there are 2 genders because gender is not biological.

• Advertisement

Gender and sex are interchangeable, it doesn’t matter what your ideology says. This is just common sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭nj27

If they were interested in stopping bullying they'd have made reference to fat kids, weird looking kids, socially inept kids too. But it's not an ant-bullying campaign, it's the politically motivated propagandising of children too young to understand the concepts referred to in the material nor the implications of adhering to them, and it's done for the benefit of a tiny minority of activists who even don't represent the views of many who fall under the big, weird looking, colourdy umbrella of the LGBTQQIP2SAA community.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

I'm sure you'll explain this in lay mans terms

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement