Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team 2023/24 [old thread]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,989 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

No body would support it. People were complaining that the new LOI team hadn't Limerick in the name or the colour blue and some people think creating franchises could be a solution. Try telling fans of Dublin teams that some of them will be amalgamated together to make a Dublin MLS style franchise and see what response you get.

People are whinging because people like JP McManus who avoids living here to save paying more tax are receiving tax money to fund it. And no is asking for them not to receive a penny. I know people here in Limerick who'd probably be locked up if it wasn't for horse racing or just walking the roads. I'm from one of the council estate where people have a big interest in horses. But know a lot more talented footballers who fell through the cracks because there's no footballing industry here for people to often see it as a viable opportunity to progress in life.

People are asking that a little money from the tax on gambling earned from betting on football actually gets used to build infrastructure and a footballing industry here.

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭Zico !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,450 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,128 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Who was really complaining about Treaty though. Certainly not the relatively large crowd in the Markets Field last week.

I do think people will support a better product. I'm not expecting massive gains but certainly better than the crap lever we are at now

You don't have to go down the route of an amalgamated Dublin side either

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Sacking Kenny does not mean we have to revert to 'dinosaur' football. They are mutually exclusive things. The FAI have correctly decided that we need to change our style of football to be a little more progressive. They gave Kenny the remit to try and do that. In my opinion he has clearly demonstrated that he is not up to the task. He'll more than likely get the rest of this campaign but barring a huge turnaround I can't see him getting another contract.

The FAI should start the process of identifying a new manager to continue the philosophy they want to introduce but hopefully do it much better than Kenny has managed.

I also think they are going about it wrong anyway. A change of style should not start with the senior team, it should start with the underage teams and work up to the senior team, it won't work the other way around.

I also agree with the points many others have made, we desperately need some kind of national academy in this country and the entire footballing structure needs to change. There's too many vested interests in Irish football with so many separate councils and leagues all trying to look after themselves and ignoring the bigger picture. It should all be brought under the one umbrella allowing the entirety of Irish football to work together, it's the only way things will improve. I don't see that happening though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,289 ✭✭✭Azatadine

Kenny is way out of his depth. The results, the table and even how he handles himself on the touchline and in the media demonstrates that.

Way worse than anyone would have imagined (and many of us questioned his appointment in the first place).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭LowOdour

I wonder what impact or ranking and lack of being competitive will or is having on decent eligible players declaring for us.

We have always relied on players born abroad lining out for us...just wonder will that start to die away

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Ramasun

Why do we have to alternate between blaming the players and the coaches when we all know the system is fecked?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,914 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

One of his better press conferences he seems to give better press conferences when he gets annoyed. So the logic now seems to be the Wales logic under Thosack where they just kept playing the young players as a group. Hoping they click overtime with more experience regardless of the results. Kenny seems to have gotten the OK from the FAI to go this route from the way he is talking.

Kenny has an added advantage that Thosack did not. The FAI are potless and can't sack him. Plus there are not loads of alternatives.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Advertisement

Said he's taken the decision, rightly or wrongly, to put together a competitive squad to qualify for Euro 2024 even though he's only contracted to 2022. Not sure he's gotten the ok from the FAI, but more taken the decision himself along with his staff.

I think it already has, Grealish, Rice and Bamford would have been more tempted if Ireland looked anyway decent or had prospects. Now the ROI is left taking the right dregs who are eligible to play. Competing with the level of player NI are after. At the moment if you were English and looking for international football you would more likely pick NI ahead of the ROI at this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

Good riddance to what? Young men whose parents or parent decided to leave Ireland, stay in England, have children, they play soccer, they come through the English underage system and decide they want to play for us? Those young men are Irish and if they want to play for us, I welcome them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

I don't think there was any scenario any of them were lining up for us once England became a possibility

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭LowOdour

I mean thats great and all to say that but reality is,rightly or wrongly, we have always depended on players to declare for us.

Grealishs' new agent once he broke through at Villa was Bales agent, the same lad that said Bale made the wrong financial decision because he would have made more money as an English international than Welsh international. Though the fact he went on to become a world class player meant he made a lot of money anyway.

Rice ran a mile once England should an interest and only came to us first because England weren't that interested at underage level, and stuck with us until he was good enough.

Didn't Bamford come out the other day and say England was always his choice.

What do you mean "the logic now" ? that was always the plan and the whole point of appointing the former u21 manager. He always had the OK

I said good riddance to players declaring/not declaring for Ireland based on our rankings. Ask not what your country can do for you but what you can do for your country and all that.

Also if you want to live in make believe land were English born and raised players would rather play for Ireland than England as opposed to not being good enough for England you go ahead. I live in the real world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,943 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Something else has changed too. England, under Southgate, are actively scouting anyone and everyone eligible for them playing at lower levels than would have been the case before. A lot of them won't have a future with England but they'd be tied down anyway with ambitious talk and a game.

They are fully entitled to be fair. Most of these lads see themselves as English.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

I think that had been Bamfords statement the whole time (correct me if I'm wrong)

I don't think generally there is anything wrong with the technical ability of the players playing for Ireland. I think the issue is that they are not being set up in a way that exploits their strengths.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

The last few pages of the thread have been horrible to read and just goes to show the state we are in at the moment, but it is the same conversations we have been having for about 4 years now. There are so many massive problems within Irish football; the FAI themselves, the League of Ireland, lack of academy structure, poor facilities, the obsession with English football, etc. Yet it is always the national team getting a bad result that brings out the anger in people.

The fanbase seems fairly split at the moment on whether Kenny deserves to stay in the job or not, realistically I think he has the job until November and then the FAI will have a decision to make. I am as frustrated with the results and performances as anyone, but I don't know if sacking him will achieve anything. The current squad of players we have is the worst we have had in such a long time, the gap of players between the 1992 until around 1999 age groups is a huge problem and we essentially have some players who are either past or should be at their 'peak', combined with a load of players who are inexperienced and are still just in the potential phase.

The fans who are so firmly Kenny out, the question is what do we do differently? Who do we appoint? On OTB today I heard them going through potential candidates, the list was embarrassing to be honest. Tactically what do we do differently? If we just set up defensively and aim to play long maybe we draw 0-0 with Luxembourg instead of losing, but what is the point in that?

The results have been fairly pathetic under Kenny, there is no sugarcoating that. Maybe he does not deserve to stay in the job past this campaign. But I do think he is the most suitable man for the job and that we will be the better for it further down the line. If there was another candidate who made a lot of sense available come December then maybe I'd see things differently, but there are not many who know Irish football better than him.

Look I'm not saying to stop the practice. It is what it is but it's rediculous to use it as a reason to not try and continue what Kenny has started. If we succeed our rankings will bounce back and then some.

If we don't we're only a long ball manager away from getting back to where our English castaways will be delighted to declare for us.

The anger coming out when the national team get a bad result is because a lot of people's interest in Irish football starts and stops with the mens senior team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

I'm not living in a fantasy land. English born people can be English and have England as number one who they want to represent but also love Ireland, care about it as a country, the people etc. The likes of Rice and Grealish where asked at 15 do you want to play underage International football or not? They made the decision I would also make. They then decided they would rather play for England, I was disappointed but can understand their decision. It's ok to love multiple countries but have a preferences of who you want to represent if you have a choice. It's not black and white and of course you'll have players who couldn't tell you anything about Ireland find out they can play for us and jump on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,795 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

I see some people are using Toshack as some sort of justification that what Kenny is doing is the correct course of action. Other than the fact that Toshack capped a lot of players, I really don't see any comparisons between him and Kenny. Firstly, despite Toshack inheriting a complete mess where swathes of the senior team retired after a player revolt, he still managed a 42% win rate. Secondly, he also had to send a letter to the players, questioning their commitment after a number of them repeatedly pulled out of competitive qualification games, it was little wonder he ended up calling up so many kids, there was literally no one else there. Also, of all the dozens of debuts he gave, only handful ever made it. Finally, what people are ascribing vision to what ultimately was luck. I am fairly confident that the top players that Toshack gave debuts to, were going to be come good regardless.

Just randomly throwing a few caps at a player isn't going to improve them. It's interesting, I generally find that the players who make the breakthrough are often the ones that don it very quickly. Kelleher at Liverpool, Omobamidele at Norwich, Collins at Burnley, Kilkenny at Bournemouth, Knight at Derby, etc. These players made a breakthrough at club level before they were/have been capped. Good players will always force their way into the international setup, they don't need to handed a cap to do so.

I know it was a different time and a different sport back then but Charlton made players out of Aldridge and Houghton.

I do agree though if Ireland had great players coming up we would have heard of them from a young age. It's why I'm not at all surprised or angry about the state we are in now. We should have been hearing about great players coming up as the Keane/Duff generation were retiring and we did get some good if not great ones in the Long/Coleman generation but then there was a big gap to what are hopefully a good but not great young team playing now but in between the 19/20yo and the 30+yos on the team we have had nothing so I don't see why people are shocked now.

There has been a clear and obvious decline in players coming through and the few good ones like Rice and Grealish saw that a mile away and jumped

I don't think comparisons are needed or wanted. Kenny was brought in and given a rebuilding remit with a view to a more positive brand of football. He'll cost less for multiple years then any of his predecessors cost for a year.

We've been brutal for donkeys. It's worth a punt. Thats the black and white of it really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

That well ran dry a long time ago. The English FA aren't going to allow any more decent players to slip through their fingers ever again. We'll still get the championship level players like Robinson who have no chance with England.

The days of grabbing a McAteer, Babb, or Townsend were already done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,774 ✭✭✭eire4

Very good post especially the last paragraph 100% spot on IMHO. For me the main issue in Irish football is the various vested interests and the FAI's incompetent and not really even being bothered as to who are the reasons we do not have a proper pathway and structure to bring through our most talented youngsters. Until we address those issues we will be going nowhere significant at international level. Even if we really do address our development pathway issues and the vested interest issues we are a decade or more away from being able to compete at a top level again and be successful which for me is being capable of qualifying for a major finals and maybe getting out of the group stages.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Is there another profession in the world where it would it be argued that someone shown to be completely out of their depth ought to be kept on because the replacement would - supposedly - not improve things? Is there evidence for that assumption? Look at how low the bar is. We want a coach that can actually manage to beat a team besides Andorra, and not be winless in 11 competitive games. Not exactly asking for the moon and stars here.

Realistically, we're not going to win a tournament any time soon. The best we can hope for as a country is to get to a tournament and give a respectable showing. Sides like the Swiss and the Danes should be an example to us. Kenny himself has cited the Danes as a team he would like us to emulate. Is he going to be the man to get us to a tournament and compete with such teams when he is struggling to get results against Luxembourg and Azerbaijan? We have to get real.

I also don't buy this argument that hiring a pragmatic coach will affect the young players coming through. Look at England. They have been encouraging youngsters for more than a decade to play a brand of possession-based, offensive football. Yet what Southgate do at the Euros? Serve up a style based largely on the defence, and giving the initiative to the opposition. It didn't bother the English fans who got swept up in the highs of the results they were getting, and it also won't affect the young players developing because the Southgate tactics have no bearing on that. The idea we need to put up with poor results under Kenny in order to help our young players coming through is a myth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,289 ✭✭✭Azatadine

You'd have to wonder if Kenny knows himself that he's way out of his depth? I'm sure he does know. He has to know.

The pressure must be immense due to the situation that the team are in. There were boo's at the final whisle on Saturday. They will grow much louder very quickly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,985 ✭✭✭ebbsy

It was so bad that even though I was getting free tickets for every game, I just stopped going.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 775 ✭✭✭RonanG86

There's Twatter rumours that he's facing the sack. Normally wouldn't bother bringing them up, but just to illustrate the point people are making, here are the names that said rumours are suggesting are on the FAI's list to replace him:

Sam Allardyce. Forget it. I'm not even getting into his merits as a manager. His contract for less than a years' work at West Brom reportedly would've amounted to £10m if he'd hit all his performance targets. Obviously he didn't hit all his targets, so didn't get the £10m, but it gives you an idea of what this man can command money wise. I appreciate Kenny isn't on starvation wages, but Big Sam will likely want many multiples of what he's on. Don't see how the FAI can afford that.

Robbie Keane. Kenny doesn't have enough experience at high level but Robbie Keane does? Literally the only reason to punt on it is that he's currently employed by the FAI.

Damien Duff. Ditto, except he's no longer employed by the FAI.

Steven Reid. A bit ahead of Duff & Keane in that he's been a coach and an assistant for longer, but has never had the top job. He's currently first team coach at Notts Forest, who's manager is being pooh-poohed as a possible candidate in this very thread. If we're taking someone from the Forest coaching staff, we'd be better off waiting for Hughton to become available.

Roy Keane. Might be better tactically once separated from the tutelage of O'Neill, who seems to have failed to advance beyond the 1990s, but he seems to have little in his locker other than thinking he can shout players into being better. That doesn't work, and his success at Sunderland was a long time ago. Also I think his period as assistant is too recent.

Neil Lennon. More viable than most of the above, but his recent record (as in the last 7 years) is not good. But if I had to take one from this list, it'd be probably be him.

Lee Carsley. National loyalty is the only reason I'd see him leaving his current gig with the England under 21s.

I'm not necessarily saying that Kenny should be immune to the sack, no one should be, but let's not pretend the alternatives are going to be great. Unless the FAI have a left field candidate somewhere. I think someone earlier in the thread said we should look for someone progressive and relatively low profile from the continent rather than continue to fish in the familiar British and Irish pool. Might be merit in that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,507 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Imagine how epic the anti-English videos will be on the eve of a friendly vs England when Lennon is in charge!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

If Kenny goes I'd bet the farm on Lennon.

There doesn't seem to be a stampede of clubs after him so he'd probably welcome the chance to get a foot back on the ladder. And from an fai perspective it would calm the natives down a bit. For a while.....

I would rather see Keane and Micah Richards brought in as a duo and make it a Netflix documentary like they have with Sunderland or Spurs, and that's not me trying to be hyperbolic about it. I'd honestly rather see that than Lennon ever getting near the Irish job.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭External Association

McLean will probably have moved on to the role of historic adviser to the team😂

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,423 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

So far Kenny's team looks more like an under 21 side where it is about developing players and getting people ready for the future. Where results are not the key feature.

That is a very tough route to go down. Results will suffer. Senior players like Coleman and Duffy are going to be frustrated playing for their country if results are bad. How long are they going to want to feel part of a development group?

One of the major examples of how the efforts may not be so worthwhile is that Ireland are not selecting sure things for development. Some of the young players getting time and effort put in now, for no immediate benefit, will be jumped by other young players. Evan Ferguson could overtake a Troy Parrott in a short time.

Omobamidele arrived in the Ireland squad fron nowhere after getting into the Norwich side - a great example of how events at club level can quickly change things for an intetnational set up.

Interestingly when interviewed in the summer, the then 18 year old said "Football is all about momentum".

A major part of the job for Kenny is maintaining some momentum to justify his choices and so far we are not seeing that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,795 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Lads, there's not a hope that Big Sam or Neil Lennon are actual contenders for the job if Kenny goes. Paddy Power have just stuck up a list of random names who are free and vaguely connected to the Irish team in order to get some dumb money to punt on it. The media have run with it and now Kenny fans are getting their knickers in a twist over something that will never happen.

Let me repeat this. There is not a snowballs chance in hell that the FAI board are going to go from buying into Kenny's rebuilding job (which he does have the backing for), only to do a complete reversal and appoint one of the biggest dinosaurs in football. The one person here who suggested Big Sam admitted he was just joking. As for Lenonn, I haven't seen a single person say they wanted him. I've just type his name into Twitter, every comment is derisive. The only person on Paddy Power's list who even has a shot of getting the job is Hughton, and I wouldn't be putting money on it being him.

Given our financial constraints and the noises that the FAI have made, my guess is that managers in the ilk of a Cocu or a Wilder would be the preferred type of option. The FAI won't be able to afford someone high profile, or anyone who's currently doing well and will likely be in high demand. Realistically, we are going to end up with a manager who has some sort of question marks against them, or would require a bit of a leap of faith.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Can't argue with your statement in that they've looked more like an u21 side at times, but on the other hand I think he has needed to play these younger players as there aren't very good options available.

You could be right about Parrott for example, but equally he could click and be an important player. We don't have any standout players to play in the front 5/6 positions so it is a case of trying some younger players and hoping they come good. I don't think he has called up any young player for the sake of it, they are all selected because there is the potential for them to be an important player for us - however chances are not all of them will be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,508 ✭✭✭✭noodler

How long is Coleman gonna be around for anyway, and that's not me saying sure move him on. He got injured last October and missed the nation's league games in October and November. Picked up another injury against Azerbaijan. He's turning 33 and will be 34 going into the euro qualifiers. In his last three seasons since coming back from that bad injury he's played 29, 27, and 25 leagues. So each season he's playing less league games. An injury could force him to step aside sooner than Coleman just not wanting to play.

As for Duffy, I'd say Duffy has big respect for Kenny. Kenny brought in David Forde to help Duffy last season, and his tweet the other day about it being on us as players seems to me he's got Kenny's back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,774 ✭✭✭eire4

In fairness to Stephen Kenny I think he is probably the right man in the wrong position. He really should never have been put in charge of the senior national team. But he does believe in IMHO in moving Ireland towards a more progressive modern possession based style of play which I firmly believe we as a country need to do. We should be pushing to start a national academy for say our top 40 odd 13-17 year old players to play and train in in a proper professional environment as one of the key planks of turning around Irish football from the ground up. He I think would be great to head that up and be the Ireland U17 national team head coach as part of that role. Just should never have been made the Ireland senior manager. 

Wouldn't surprise me at all if the FAI take a 'results is king' lesson from this and go for a cheap Sam Allardyce. This is the FAI were talking about.

Lookit, I'm all on board for the 'rebuild' and the change of style. I want to see players like Josh Cullen line up in midfield for Ireland and be encouraged to get on the ball and play it instead of watching poor Glen Whelan and Keith Andrews spend their entire international careers looking up at the sky as the ball is booted over their heads.

I'm under no illusions about where we are in terms of the quality of player available. We're in the process of changing out virtually the entire national squad in short order, and we're missing experienced internationals who are remotely good enough in their peak years.

Kenny's had bad luck with COVID making it impossible for him to settle on a team early on, and out of the established senior players who you're relying on as leaders, I would say that only three - Coleman, Duffy & Egan - have performed consistently well for him.

But in spite of all the preceding, we had far more talent on the pitch than either Luxembourg or Azerbaijan and failed to beat them. Never really looked like beating them. I can understand why people look at that and think: "This guy's in over his head."

Ideally I'd like to see us beat Serbia, build on it in the next window, keep playing progressive football and Kenny go on to be a success. But the record to date is poor and if that doesn't happen I genuinely don't know what the correct solution is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Yes I can’t wait for Neil Lennon to take over, maybe Jason Mcteer can be his assistant.

ole ole ole ole

Big Sam and cheap, two words that don't belong in the same sentence. The man wouldn't even entertain the idea for anything less than a million.

Sorry, I meant "a cheap version of" Sam Allardyce. ie. Some nobody who plays the same type of clogball.

As per my post on the previous page, I don't consider Sam himself remotely viable for the FAI on the basis of cost.

Pints of wine would cost a fortune at Dublin prices

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement