Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Autumn 2021 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

close to 24 now in Dublin, beautiful day

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭External Association

What an absolute beaut of an evening, south midlands. Great to be alive on an evening like this. T shirt, shorts, so pleasant.

These are the type of days I love. Along with extreme cold. We get way too much of the 8-18C weather Eddie Graham used say predominated in Ireland, in his Dublin weather diary. Cool 8-18c, dry or wet, is what we have 90% of the days of the year. And it's too cool to really enjoy without layers, for me.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,947 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Such a beautiful day in Kerry, would well believe the temp at Kerry airport, got up to 24.7C here at my site outside Tralee by the coast , it was like the Mediterranean out at Fenit Harbour , the pic below , like a pond with a steady heat. More to come tomorrow, added Fohn effect could give 26 or 27C here, bring it on and maybe thunderstorms overnight into Weds .......bliss !

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Seconded. An unwelcome endless extension of that endless, stagnant hell summer of 2021. Not even the faintest hint of a breeze to keep one cooled.

New Moon

Ah lord. We didn't move latitude to the equator this summer!

• Advertisement

We may as well have. But hopefully the next 8 months will have nothing but constant tropical rains. Just like the wind, the rains seem to have abandoned us this year.

New Moon

I think mean average temperatures of 15-17c for July/August are a bit below equatorial.

You'll get the desired rains, of that I have no doubt. And it'll be very enjoyable for you.

The ECM and GFS are going for a late weekend reload of high pressure. Lovely 😎

Wouldn't surprise me in the least. The amount of stagnant warmth over the N. Hemisphere suggests very week atmospheric circulation over the entirety of mid latitudes for the time of year. That hemispheric heat is just building and building with nothing to stir it out of place at all.

New Moon

I'm out now. Our summer mean temps were above average, but nothing too special.

It was cloudy and 14c daytime last week across most of the country. 3-4c below normal.

Mad comparisons with the equator.

Temperatures are running 2 degrees or more above average in this part of the country.

New Moon

• Advertisement

That's nothing new. It doesn't mean we're equatorial.

Temperatures ran 2c above normal in many parts in September 1985, 1991, 2006 etc. Not in the least unprecedented.

This summer has not been this awful jungle inducing sweety event, for the vast majority of us, you suggest.

It's not uncommon to have 20c nights in a summer hot spell. Some of the days you described as sultry etc, were very normal Irish summer days 17-21c. I look at August for Oak Park mean. It was 15.8c, the average is 15.3c! Talk about ordinary month. In 1995 the mean was 18.9c for that location for August.

I don't mean this in a nasty, smart ass way but the way you're describing normal heat seems excessive for me.. Do you feel energetic, your usual self? A thyroid issue can cause one to feel over warm. I had one a few years ago.

I feel grand thanks.

The summer mean temp was only brought down by the coolish June. Nights during July and August ran pretty much consistently way above normal, as they are continuing to do so in this September.

There is nothing 'normal' about this summer. Temps are one thing, but the dewpoints are have been running excessively high for the last 2 months. Wind speeds are way down too and rainy days have been abnormally scant. This scenario might be more 'normal' in the south midlands, but its just bizarre for Galway. It shouldn't be this much of a Herculean effort to get some cooling rains and a breeze.

New Moon

I'm glad you are. Seriously, don't want to see anyone unwell. We're only debating weather. A small issue in the greater scheme. We all feel cold/heat differently.

But I still think you're in a small minority!

This summer felt like many others for me. A nice calm summer windwise, which I witnessed before.

I have to question your claim that temps last week were '2 to 4' degrees below normal. Perhaps day time temps were down on a couple of days (but humidity levels remained high, so it no way would it have felt cold) but even in the south midlands, mean temps still came in above.

(ag report for end of August from Met Eireann)

New Moon

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

The temperatures last week were rather strange. We had warm enough uppers close to +10C which should get us to the upper teens to low twenties during the final week of August, however because of the relentless week of cloudy conditions, cool onshore northerly/easterly winds, this pegged the temperature well back in the 13 to 16C range for much of last week during the daytime. It was a bit milder than this across the far west of the country but this daytime chill was most noticeable across the east and north.

The upper air temperatures last week were a degree or 2 above normal for late August, but the daytime temperatures were definitely 1 to 3C below average at times, particularly across the north and east of the country. Here in Meath we had a maximum daytime temperature of only 14C last Thursday I think it was and 15C on the Friday. This sort of daytime temperatures would be fairly normal for mid October rather than the end of August.

It kinda reminds me of inversion which takes place during the winter when high pressure is over us with normal enough upper air temperatures, but the temperatures on the ground where we are do not reflect the upper air values and are much cooler than expected.

During the day time. Night cloud cover made up to raise the mean. Felt chilly in the day, of posters here myself and Gonzo commented on it.

I'll do you up a table of daily averages from Kilkenny tomorrow to give you a sense of where current daily temps stand against long term averages.

I find it a crying shame that this epic station was gotten rid of by Met Eireann. Consistent long term dataset that now counts for nothing.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

I for one was thrilled with the lack of wind this summer, I hate wind, especiallyin the summer. I pity coastal dwellers who have to endure what in my humble opinion is the worst weather element of all.

Agree with the two last posts about Kilkenny Station getting the chop, it was a very interesting dataset. However, StratoQ a member of this forum, but unfortunately rarely gets time to post, runs the Kilkenny climate observation station a little closer to the city centre.

His website is www.kilkennyweather.com and he has a decent twitter feed too.

So all is not lost in the marble city.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,037 ✭✭✭OldRio

Well for the first time in a couple of weeks we have a cloudless sky. Not sure how long this will last but we'll take it.

Hopefully we might see some warmth today after the dissapointing temps last week.

Leitrim.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

We'll have our usual 10 consecutive months of endless grey skies, wind, rain and temperatures stuck between 8 and 15C soon enough. Any nice weather this late in the year is a major bonus for me, makes the long depressing winter ahead that bit shorter

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭Hairypoppins

A hot sunny start to day here in west Dublin 😎 🔥

• Registered Users Posts: 8,242 ✭✭✭ongarite

Not far away in Meath and it's nothing but heavy fog with falling damp so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭KildareP

Dense fog all the way in to D15 from NW Kildare at 7am this morning, still foggy in D15 but the sun is showing the first signs of starting to burn through

Just to say that ag report isn't last week and includes days from the August late warm spell.

Sunday 29 August to Saturday 4 September was last week I'm referring to with the cool daytime maxes.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

dissapointing so far today here in Meath, no sun in sight, thick cloud/fog. Hopefully the sun will blast through soon enough. Today is probably the final day of proper warmth for most of us until next May/June.

Temperatures should still hold up fairly well over the next few days but today is final day of low to mid twenties.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭pauldry

Bar the spell in July about a week nothing this past Summer has been unbearable heatwise.

I really enjoyed the summer, about the same level of comfort as 2018 and 2013. We had 2 days here in Meath where I could call it hot with temperatures of 28 and 29C reached during the start of the July heatwave but after that it was more like 24 to 27C which was very comfortable and enjoyable indeed. Aside from the final days of July and first 3 weeks of August which were crap, the majority of our days since the end of May were in the 18 to 22C range. September started off cool and cloudy but since Saturday the temperatures have been very comfortable again with a nice warm feel. We will cool down from tomorrow but we should remain warmer than average over the coming week or possibly longer.

The ECM long range models are currently forecasting warmer than average temperatures and high pressure to possibly influence our weather for the rest of September and into early October but we shall see. If that was to come off we could end up having a very dry and warmer than average September.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

Another stunning day in Dublin 5, some fog earlier but now blue skies and sunshine and really warming up

• Advertisement

Sun finally appearing here in Meath and temperatures becoming warm again.

Advertisement