Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team 2023/24 [old thread]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,989 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Is there a cheap version of Big Sam? Wouldn't that be Mick, he's often kept teams in the championship. Don't think he's coming back for a third reign.

With some of the names that are floating around, and I know they're only the bookies trying to get idiots to part with money. But if they're the only genuine options I'd rather see Kenny stay where he is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,742 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Big Sam had a 100 percent record with England . Give him a call

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,796 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

People are only going to bet on people they've heard of, hence why the list consists of ex Irish players and British managers who are available or under pressure. Frigs sake, might as well stick Terry Venables and David O'Leary on it while we're at it.

The FAI will have learned their lesson with Staunton, they will not be considering either of the Keane's, Duff, or any other ex player without proper experience. They will not be considering Steve Bruce, Big Sam, Neil Lennon, or any "traditional" British managers. The public outcry would be far worse than what Kenny got.

The FAI are already one year into the rebuilding initiative that they themselves sanctioned. The realistic option is a manager who's progressive, who has a record with young players, but who can maybe do the job with more success than Kenny. The likes of a Cocu would fill that bill and would be affordable, he even gave Knight his debut, so he'd know a thing about our lads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,914 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Would Brian Kerr take it? Safe pair of hands. Could steady the ship for a year or two. He will get the mix of the squad better IMO. They badly need someone who is an experienced organiser of teams/a tactician. And can get them to gel.

if I was in the FAI Kerr would be my no1 choice, if Kenny goes. If Kerr wants it.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 775 ✭✭✭RonanG86

Safe pair of hands to steady the ship for a year or two is exactly what the FAI did with McCarthy. So what do we do in 2 years time is the question.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,279 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Explain "he will get the mix of the squad better" please. I'd love to hear how that happens.

With the way his reign ended at Derby I'd say Cocu would want to avoid another dodgy job, and might consider moving back to the continent for a club job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

Cocu wouldn't touch us with a ten foot pole.

He'll still have some cache from his PSV tenure. He'll find his way back into a decent club somewhere. And as a Dutchman he'll be well connected as they're practically everywhere in coaching game.

• Advertisement

He would not play youth for youth sake alone. But at the same time he would give them a more gradual transition. Impression Kerr gave is that he thinks it is daft throwing in a load of inexperienced u21’s all at once.

Pictures of Brady training with the Ireland team. Disappointed that his attempt to find a club is dragging out so long. We could have done with him to play on the left for these games.

Kerr is 68 and not managed in 10 years. Clearly not the answer. The talent pool of Irish managers is quite shallow, the realistic options will have to come from abroad.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,760 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

He was on the bench the other day (not officially part of the squad obviously).

However I'm not sure having him available for these games would add much. He hasn't been the same player since his injuries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,167 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Stop tryna mash players into "tactics" that dont work solely because they are young.

Not really asking too much from any decent manager, too much from Kenny it seems.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

Why is he anywhere near the squad?? Can anyone just rock up and hang about and get a slot on the bench??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,760 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

My stab at the team he'll go with tonight:

Bazunu

Omobamidele

Duffy

Egan

Doherty

Cullen

Hourihane

McGrath

McClean

Idah

Robinson

Connolly was a long time emerging from the dressing room, still in his gear, after half time at the weekend. So suspect he has a knock which will rule him out of starting at least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭McFly85

Agree with what a lot of people have previously said. Getting the senior team to play a better brand of football is a worthy goal but it’s not going to happen when we solely rely on other countries to develop our players.

The youth structure needs to be entirely restructured and unified with the goal of preparing youth players properly before they leave the system.

We should be setting up relationships with leagues outside of England (Leagues like the Nederlands and Denmark immediately spring to mind). England is massively crowded so it would probably be in our interest to spread our players out a bit.

And we should have offices in those countries dedicated to player welfare. Helping them with any issues they’re having, keeping them connected with other Irish players based there to help them feel less isolated.

I suppose regardless of where our players are learning their trade the association should still feel responsible for their progress and welfare. For years it’s been just throw them to the English system and see if they can sink or swim.

He's been in Dublin over the summer training himself and has been using the facilities in Abbottstown during that. So not like he was just passing one day and they called him in for a chat. Was already there and there's no harm having him train with the squad if he's already there.

Obviously clubs will be put off with his injury record. Covid has hit the finances so much that teams probably can't justify bringing him until they get their squads sorted for the start of the season.

I'd say Brady himself could be blocking himself out of a move. Maybe he thinks he can do it still at a high level, or didn't want to go abroad at first. At this stage beggers can't be choosers, but I wouldn't be surprised if he was still a free agent come January.

Remove Hourihane for Hendrick and that will be the team I think. The first game against Serbia they overloaded our midfield, especially in the second half and Hourihane in there is basically playing with a man down when you need someone to break up their play.

Cullen has done well going forward. Played some good balls in behind in Portugal and trying to link up with our forward players. Pretty sure he put the ball on a plate for Doherty when he put his header over in the opening minutes of Azerbaijan. If he's paired in midfield with Hourihane he'll have to do extra leg work to cover him and he's already played more or less a 180mins this week. Hendrick is fresh having not played the other night, he'll have to do a lot of dirty work in alongside Cullen tonight.

Needs must, Kerr proud Irishman inexpensive experienced. Man manager, tactician, keeps up with the developments in the game. The foreign manager stuff just sounds exotic. Fairly soon they will realise the crap structure they have to worth within. And how poor the players are. Remember Trapattoni? Plus realistically what good quality foreign manger would want the Irish job?

Dutch lads were brought in well over a decade ago by the FAI talked a good game such as Ruud Dokter and another Dutch compatriot of his. ‘Performance director’ or whatever title they were given. Fairly soon I believe the noises were they could not believe the politics in Irish football which meant it went no where. Competing Schoolboy leagues v LOI etc. Instead of working together they fought against each other more often than not. A ‘foreign’ manager will only sound good on paper.

Plus there are plenty who have said if Kerr was in another country his football knowledge would not be let go to waste it would at least be tapped into in an advisory role.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Christy Browne

What senior players should be starting that aren't getting in ahead of inexperienced U21's? This is the best we have

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Anyone hear anything on Robbie Brady, has he found himself a new club awful shame at 29 not to be playing ,

The last few years his career just fell off a cliff ,

Don't you know he was just living the good life taking it easy at home. I often like listening to Kerr but as you said he's down sweet **** all in ten years, and basically down sweet **** all in the senior game. There's Lars Lagerback, whose five years older than Kerr and took Iceland to Euro 2016, and took Sweden to every tournament from 02 to 08 I think.

Fair enough him and JD don't like each other so was never gonna work with the FAI again. But what was stopping him working with the underage of an English club, he had the experience or even trying to get some benefactors to form a professional academy here and showing up the FAI on how to develop players. Instead he'd rather throw some Dublin slang out when describing things on TV and getting paid easy money for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Mervyn Skidmore

Is the U-21 match this afternoon being broadcast? No mention of it on RTE.

IMO it's more his fault than anyone elses that it went to waste. Plenty of opportunities around the world but he choose to remain in Ireland. Now if he couldn't leave Ireland for personal reasons then fair enough. But the UK is only over the water, and you've multiple flights over and back whenever needed.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Some of the posts in this thread are very frustrating. Let me spell it out as simply as possible: Sacking Kenny does not mean having to revert to 'dinosaur' football. The majority of people agree that the idea behind Kenny's appointment was a good one, get the team to play a more progressive style.In my opinion he's demonstrated he's not the man for the job, results have been awful. Realistically we weren't going to qualify for the World Cup and most people were willing to give Kenny some leeway with regards to results to try and implement his style. However I don't think anyone would have predicted or accepted 1 win in 15 games, no competitive win in 11 games including home games against much lesser teams. Performances haven't exactly been brilliant either, it's been one step forward and two steps back.

The FAI should not be afraid to hold interviews with candidates from further afield than Ireland/UK who fit the bill for what they want to achieve and potentially do a better job than Kenny. He is not the only man on the planet who wants to play progressive football, there's multitudes of potential candidates out there not called Sam Allardyce or Neil Lennon.

I hope so. Put off going to the U17s today to watch the U21s. And speaking of the U17s they had a good win the other night against a good technical Mexican team. Two local Cork lads scoring our goals after going one down.

Yeah Kenny seems like a pure idealist wants to play football the ‘right way’ fair enough that is his ‘philosophy’ as they say.

But it does not mean completely abandoning pragmatism, tactical organisation and work rate. Closing down players, defending attacking set pieces. I don’t think Kenny is able to do this. At this stage we should see a Kenny style of play. An organised side lads who know their jobs. Fellas who play without fear. What have we seen so far?

The worst of everything we have seen. Ineffective safe side to side slow passing. Few if any, capable of turning and even attempting spraying penetrative passes controlling midfield. Awful aimless crossing into the box that fail to beat the first man, or are sky high. Awful defending at set pieces. No variation in attacking set pieces- Duffy only outlet. Awful finishing and very poor movement from the players.

A lot of these problems IMO, are not just because the player’s are not ‘technicians’ as the phrase goes. It is because the manager has not settled a side with the same tactics and worked on the pragmatic side of the game. The ‘basic stuff’ as John Giles would say. Lads knowing their jobs work rate etc.

Kenny's idea & philosophy are fantastic for club management but not for the International game ,You don't have the time to work with players and you don;t have the option to bring in ones to fit the philosophy , You have to be far more pragmatic for a number of reason's

Just look across the water at Southgate who's squad is a million miles more talented than ours yet he still approach's games with more caution & pragmatism than Kenny ,

I disagree part of the hype is because the players are young which assumes that they will do well etc. Only three of the new young lads stand out as far as I see. Bazunu/Kelleher and Idah. Kenny should be moving heaven and earth to get McGoldrick back for instance. Have a few old heads around the squad to show the younger lads the way even in training. Experience should not just be discarded or let go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,395 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

McGoldrick has retired, hes not coming back. At some stage you have to start anew. What older lads would you have in the time that aren't being picked but are available?

Very good point plus Southgate was been slated as been a lucky manager. The press and fans were calling on him to be more adventurous. But he kept it simple was organised was hard to beat. Ended up overachieving in the tournament. Very similar in many ways to Jack Charlton’s idea of keeping it simple being hard to break down and working hard.

Even Mick when he was manager the first time played more football on the floor. But made sure Ireland were hard to break down and a threat from set pieces. Even though Mick wanted to play football the ‘right way’ there was a mix. That goal Robbie Keane scored v Germany was caused by a long direct ball to Quinn and Keane’s work rate. Nothing fancy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,128 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

England would be European champions if it wasn't for Southgates pragmatism.

That is a bit of a logical fallacy and I think you know it. On the other hand you could argue they never would have be a position to be at a final if we’re not for pragmatism. Kenny needs to get the mix right at the moment he is in no mans land.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,167 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Well it depends on Kenny's formation. The last day McClean/Curtis/Horgan would all have been better than Parrott out wide. And while not an "older lad" a straight swap of Omobamidele for O'Shea would have been far better.

He should know how to pick his own players for his own system.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭irelandrover

England were favourites for the Euros so how did he overachieve?

David McGoldrick with 1 goal in 14 internationals is hardly the solution. From what i can see of the current strikers,, the problem is that they just can't score. Having an old head around who is also a striker that can't score doesn't really help.

Ireland haven't been good so far, but they haven't been awful. The goals against Portugal came when they were tired, Kenny was trying to make subs for a few minutes before this but wasn't allowed. The goals against Lux and Azerbaijan were long range efforts that go in less than 1 in 10.

We've scored 4 in 4, but 2 of those have been set pieces. Connolly alone has missed enough chances to win a few games.

We've gone from scoring 1 in 8 during Kenny's first 8 games to scoring 9 in 7. There is clearly progress. We've shown up well against the top 2 seeds in the group away from home. We've been shown up against the bottom 2 seeds at home. Kenny is struggling to find a way to break down teams who sit back, not having a striker capable of scoring doesn't help.

I don't want Kenny to get a new contract at this stage. He has to show more improvements before that. But I'm not really sure we should just abandon him yet. We seem to be going in the right direction at least. He just needs to figure out how to break down teams that sit back, and how to deal with the favourites tag. For me he needs a result against Serbia or Portugal at home, and we need to win at least one of the games against Lux or Azerbaijan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,128 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

"Pragmatism" is the new O'Leary/Keane/Andy Reid/ Rory Delap

Portugal game Ireland played well and fought hard despite Kenny, not because of him in my view. The players did not want to get walloped so were more ‘keyed in’ than they normally would be. There was still lots of needless sideways passing in which Ireland were lucky not to concede a goal. Plus if Bazunu had not saved that early pen it was game over as a contest. Ireland would have been chasing shadows for the rest of the game. Let’s be honest.

England were bookies favs because many backed them because they were at home it did not mean they were the best team. McGoldrick offers way more than goals brings others into play. If there is a better option than Kenny on the cheap grand. But posters on here do not seem keen on Brian Kerr who would be an obvious stop gap for me after Kenny. Who would want the job , who can the FAI afford? Would Roy Keane accept payment of Bob Dylan tickets or maybe Neal Diamond?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭piplip87

Just listening to the Stand with Giles and Brady and the boys have it down to a tee.

Moving Coleman and Doherty against Azerbaijan showed a lack of tactical awareness and was an absolute head scratching decision. They cause Portugal problems down the wings but bringing McClean in when his crossing ability and defending ability is well known at this stage, was a massive mistake.

Playing three centre forwards was another mistake. Parrot, Connolly and Idah are all central players.

I think playing two of the three as strikers in a 3512 formation could get the best out of them. Idah and Connollys pace centrally could be good. Cullen looks like a decent player with an eye for a pass so try him in behind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,450 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

Its mad the contradictions and knots people will tie themselves up in thinking they're coming out with some cutting edge analysis of the performances so far.

Thankfully by the looks of things the FAI are going to give him till the end of this campaign at least. I'd personally like to see him finish his contract which will include the Nations Cup. Just so i have no 'what ifs' about the whole thing.

Obviously its a personal opinion watching games. I think we've played well, looked progressive at times but can tell there's plenty of links to work out. I also think there's been a bit of bad luck throughout his reign.

If they had the results they currently have and we looked like the Ireland of old id be calling for his head as well. But there's definitely reason to be hopeful imo.

And did you see England’s approach even though they have the team they have.?Hard to break down first and foremost. Work rate. Organisation.

Compare it to Kenny’s approach even though they have the players he has. No technical midfielder, side to side - safe passing - zero threat - no decent crosses- easy for average teams to defend against - easy to score against (invite pressure) - slow closing down - poor work rate. In a poor limited team like Ireland work rate and organisation should be no1 regardless of style of play.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

His Europa Lge record is 6 games. 1 win. 1 draw. 4 losses. Pragmatic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,450 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

England were at home, had the easiest run of any top side and still lost. With a great set of players. What you think is making your point is actually the opposite. Southgate is not getting the best out if his group. What has that got to do with Kenny??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,279 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

That's not the mix of the squad though, that's his use of the squad. There are no real alternative players to call up that we haven't already tried so I don't see how Kerr or anyone else really can change the mix of the squad.

• Advertisement

They wouldn't have been in the final without it ,

Southgate knows they are weak at the back so sets up to make it extremely difficult to get at the back line ,

Similar to Tuchel at Chelsea last season , they didn't conceded goal not because they have brilliant defenders but because the defensive structure never allowed teams to get at the defenders frequently enough to do the damage ,

U21s game is being shown live again on rte player and rte news channel.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭Tchaikovsky

RTE finally seeing sense.

Yup, even the tweet about the game from the FAI didn't have any details about it being live, you had to click into the link for their website to see it.

Hopefully RTE show all the games, but I have this feeling they won't show home games because it will involve them actually having to go to the stadiums to set up. Rather than just using the live feed from other countries when playing away and having the lads do commentary in the studio.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭Tchaikovsky

Is Eir Sport still around? They did the home games for the last campaign anyway.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement