Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Game News 2.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,031 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Beneath is free on gog if you want it and have a pc to play on

• Registered Users Posts: 8,976 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

Did anybody actually expect them to be released this year?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,600 ✭✭✭quokula

The game came out a year ago and given that it's already on both last gen consoles, so a lot of the platform stuff has been done, and the PC version has next gen standard assets and graphical effects already implemented, the amount of porting work shouldn't be that involved.

I gather the PC version was a buggy mess at launch and don't know if they've fixed it yet. I've been avoiding it until it comes out on next gen and I have a bigger backlog than I can keep up with, so not too disappointed, but I was expecting to see it this year.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

In terms of performance and stability at least on PC Cyberpunk 2077 is actually fine. Played around 16 hours of it and not a single crash so far.

However even as of patch 1.23/1.3 the game is still effected by a host of bugs, mostly minor but common enough to become immersion breaking.

LOD issues are common, even on foot panning of the camera on a crowded street can lead to NPC's popping into view at very close proximity. Textures on road signs can remain low quality unless you stop and wait for them to pop in after a couple of seconds. The billboards in the game only seem to animate at close range. Arguably the most distracting issue it the yellow pedestrian crossings popping into view at close range. Texture Z-Fighting can be seen occasionally and smoke from vents has a black flicker to it at distance.

Then you have animation bugs with characters during cut scenes, an iPad/Tablet like device stick through a users folder arm. Characters clipping through the ground or incorrectly seated and clipping through chairs.

Also seems to be random bugs where NPC's will suddenly for no reason panic when they see you and run away in terror. In one case on NPC ran into a building where I had a go and talk to someone and created this ridiculous scene where I was talking to the person I was suppose to meet and there beside him was this cowering civilian that they where oblivious too. Cops have also attacked me for no apparent reason.

Bugs aside its a good looking game and I like the gameplay well enough but it should have never been released in the state it was in. If it was released now with the state of the game at patch 1.3 the reception would have been much better but I still think people would regard the game as somewhat buggy.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

There's a new (probably only on mobile, so don't get your hopes up) Jurassic Park game on the way, according to a copyright search engine website. It's called Jurassic Park: Primal Ops which I'm going to imagine as a spiritual successor to Dino Crisis and/or JP Trespasser. Then I'll sob a little when it's revealed to be a match 3 game coming to Android and iOS. PCGamesN has more.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭JimBurnley

Rumours of Alan Wake Remastered with October release date. Never played it myself but loved Control so will be all over this if true

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2021-09-04-alan-wake-remastered-pops-up-on-retailer-websites-with-october-release-date

I'd say it's true - there was a leak for the PC version from the Epic game store database a few months ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,808 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

I'm all over that, sounds right up my street! 788 Taiwan currency is 28 dollars so if this comes out 30-40 euro, I'd be well happy with that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

Sony have reversed their decision to block off a PS5 upgrade path for HZD: Forbidden West. A free upgrade for the game will be offered as originally stated when it was due to release at PS5 launch.

They have also clarified that all future first party cross gen games will have a $10 charge to upgrade to the PS5 version.

I'm sure the women employed by him at Tripwire Interactive will be delighted to read this. Tool.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,322 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

American conservatives are a delightful crowd who will fight tooth and nail for an unborn baby (though in this case, 6 weeks is not a baby), but then abandon the actual born and poor to the whims of capitalism. F*ck this guy, I imagine he'll be bleating about being "canceled" in a few weeks.

Post edited by pixelburp on

• Registered Users Posts: 7,845 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Thankfully no one made a big fuss about putting politics into games over the last 6 years so this should all blow over quickly. 😐️

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

As an aside, Killing Floor seems like one of those games that has comfortably sold a few million copies but seems to have little to no cultural footprint to speak of? Always seems to pop up on Steam etc but don't think I've ever heard any actual impressions of the thing!

Turns out the game apparently has always had Christian metal as its soundtrack, so this bizarre self-cancellation incident isn't entirely unprompted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,600 ✭✭✭quokula

As much as I disagree with the guy's view, I do find it pretty hypocritical that Shipwright Studio said "is is difficult for employees to speak up" in one breadth, while cancelling their contracts with someone for stating his opinion in the next. They're basically saying they support the right to speak up, as long as it agrees with their viewpoint.

I could understand if the guy had a history of being a far right nut but his tweet history seems reasonable, very rarely venturing outside of gaming but when it does it's in support of BLM and other racial justice movements, or in relation to the pandemic in support of social distancing and appropriate measures.

33% of voters in Ireland were pro-life in the referendum, should they all have lost their careers as a result?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,808 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

For anyone interested, Killing Floor 2 is being added to PS Now in September :|

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

It's "difficult for employees to speak up in these scenarios..." likely because the guy in question is the President of the company so coming out against him probably wouldn't be great for their job status.

Ah here, let's not pretend this guy merely said he is pro life. He admitted that he supports the so called heartbeat bill, which not only prevents Texan women from having an abortion after just six weeks (before many women even know they are pregnant), or prevents abortion in the case of rape, it actually incentivises private citizens to sue abortion providers/individuals who "aid and abet" the procedure even if that only includes provision of advice on how to travel out of state to where abortions are legal. For every case these private citizens win, they're guaranteed $10,000. Legally speaking a rapist is entitled to sue his victim if she attempts to abort the foetus he put in her. It is an inhumane, barbaric act and anyone who supports it deserves everything they get. Comparing it to the referendum here, and the people who voted on it is ignorant at best.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,964 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Does it have any effect on his ability to run a company? Does it interfere with that company in any way? Grand, yeah, the bill sounds terrible, but a personal view on something shouldn't have this knock on effect that is happening to Tripwire, unless that view was indeed interfering with the company. This isn't just affecting him, the employees will suffer because of this, and they didn't do anything wrong.

So you genuinely believe his public support of a bill that puts a literal bounty on women going through one of the most difficult periods in their lives doesn't interfere with his ability to do the job? Do you think his female employees are cool with this? Really? I'd bet money that plenty of his male employees aren't too happy with him either.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

Is there no escape from American politics and the ensuing idiotic twitter comments?

I thought Trump getting the boot would reduce it but no, it's still everywhere I go on the internet.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,277 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

It's freedom of speech in action. You can say what you want but you also have to own the consequences for what you say. If you support a barbaric, inhumane and undemocratic ruling and say so publicly then you kind of deserve to lose your livelihood.

Fuck him.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,964 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Woah, settle down folks, i'm not supporting him. He does indeed sound like a dick, and the policy sounds terrible, I agree. But I was commenting more on the fact that partners have left the company before any action has/could be taken by Tripwire. Say, if Tripwire decided to give him the boot would that have been ok? He doesn't/shouldn't reflect the company overall if that personal belief has no interactions with Tripwire (ie: company funded donations, etc) then the company (stakeholders/employees) shouldn't be getting the hit here. These partners jumped ship so quick, they didn't give Tripwire time to take their own action (or was there time, I dunno, did this not just happen?). It's like finding out someone in your 10-friend group is a paedo and deciding you're not going to be friends with the rest of them because of it (bit extreme, yeah, but it's 2am).

Screw him and all he's got, but I think the knee jerk reactions from the partners was too quick and a bit unfair to the rest at Tripwire. But I'm also open to correction if this is ongoing a while and Tripwire didn't take action.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

Can't wait for The Quartering to take time off from his Brie Larson crusade to make 28 videos about this injustice.

Advertisement