Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Katherine Zappone Envoy Gig

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,928 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

FG supporters have yet to say on here what Leo did last weekend looks bad as he did not give 2 books about the optics.

How bad do FG have to get before their cheerleaders turn on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭joebloggs32

Thank god that Micheal Martin didn't put his foot down and stop this appointment when it was landed on him.

Imagine all the fun we'd have missed out on wstching Fine Gael squirm!

Perhapa Martin was playing the long game afterall.....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

It's turning into a cult. Similar dynamic to what happened with Trump and the Republicans.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,658 ✭✭✭Floppybits

I have asked that question for a while. How right minded people can defend them is beyond me?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭jmcc

Nah. The useless Martin just commissioned a report on it. :) Seriously though, FF needs to get rid of the spineless FG wannabe Martin.

Regards...jmcc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,494 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

She’s absolutely grim, the absolute smell of sense of entitlement off her... I have zero respect for her or Covney / Donohoe too.

She was Minister for Children, Equality, Disability, Integration and Youth of Ireland..what qualifies her for that ?

• she never had children.
    • she is about as far from ‘youth’ being closer to the grave then the cradle
    • her idea of equality is for her and ilk to get looked after and receive preferential treatment and consideration....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,658 ✭✭✭Floppybits

What is the hold that Zappone has over FG?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,494 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

She’s got long arms whatever that hold is seeing as she’s now living in New York...weird though.

Covney too has been outed as an absolute liar... talking with Zappone about the UN Envoy gig before there even was one...

• Registered Users Posts: 19,663 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

wow yeah great point. There were several days back in February where we had over 100 Covid deaths per day, it was a really dark time. Yet all Zappone could think about was how to get back on the gravy train and get her nose back in the trough.

Just listened back to the Drive Time segment on the story again and it really is a fantastic piece of radio. Trained barrister and FG TD Neale Richmond tries to spin and blag his way out of the story but he gets schooled and skewered over and over again by Sarah McInerney. Well worth a listen for those who missed it

https://www.rte.ie/radio/radio1/clips/22001738/

• Registered Users Posts: 14,719 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

This.

Forget the banal noise from the usual crew, because if they were consistent, they would be up in arms about all the other special UN envoys that were appointed, yet probably cant name one of them.

It's clear that this position was appointed historically on the whim of the SG of the Department of Foreign Affairs and the Minister, which no one had an issue with at all until it was Zappone.

A better process in the future will be put in place to stop the usual howls of outrage every time someone in the Department lifts a finger.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,719 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

Not really part of this thread, but all I raised was the question as to a) why the musical tastes of a politician are political discourse and b) why it's 'funny' to find that Leo likes Kylie Minogue.

(a) it not relevant to ANY discussion

(b) I have already pointed out my thoughts on that.

As I said, a small bit of reflection may not go astray.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭Aska

It's hard to know why the usual suspects seem to feel a desire to throw themselves on the grenade at times.

Others include:

Colm Brophy, Kieran O'Donnell, Jack Chambers (M.I.A.) & Neale. Maybe they are blindsided loyal while above them it's a Loyal to No-one motto

It was conduct unbecoming for an FGer. He tried the usual politician's trick of talking over the interviewer but it was a big mistake. Sarah McInerney is a journalist rather than a jumped up DJ. She absolutely obliterated him and left him looking quite stupid. FG does seem to be sending out eager cannon fodder over the last few weeks. It isn't so much a case of lions being led by donkeys as a bunch of asses who have been caught rotten. In any other country, Varadkar, Coveney and Harris would have been fired long ago. Luckily for them, they have a weak, grovelling FG wannabe leading FF. But Martin's days may be numbered too.

Regards...jmcc

Post edited by jmcc on

• Registered Users Posts: 26,986 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

What a beautiful Morning.

Will it be Granola , Weetabix, Perhaps Porridge for Breakfast 😏

One thing for Sure a spot of TOAST would be nice.

I suspect some Politicians might need an extra bit of extra Fibre at breakfast this morning 😏

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,994 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

I'd reckon they'd be avoiding the fibre at all costs

Thought it might help some "stiffen resolve" so to speak 😉 😏

• Registered Users Posts: 69,176 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

It's not so much the appointment (although it had a right bang of the crony off it and now we know it probably was) it is the cover up that is doing the main damage, just like Profumo, Watergate and so many other scandals that originate in the Arrogance Of Power.

Had Coveney and Varadkar been able to lie straight in the bed about this seedy little stunt they could have avoided this...it would be over.

But nope, lie on lie, arrogant behaviour after arrogant behaviour.

Story broke on the 4th of August and on the 7th Sept Coveney faces his darkest hour and the story rages away at the topof news bulletins.

Will he have the humility to put it to bed, will he survive politically, will he drag others into it?

Tune into the FG Nothing Burger Show later on.

Think that Donohue was trying to distance himself from the mess.FG seems to be rolling out z-listers to defend it.

Regards...jmcc

Try educating yourself before posting such tripe. She set up An Cosan, scene of the infamous Jobstown incident. https://www.ancosan.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 69,176 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Neale Richmond was so monumentally bad he was the story for a while. Barry Ward looked like he was going to spontaneously combust last night too.

The abiding impression from TD's and fans is the huff about being caught. They can't believe that they would be held accountable for stuff like this, watch and listen to the pain on Coveney's face and in his voice as he tries to explain this...again. The pain of somebody who cannot grasp why he is in the ****. While Varadkar is like a bold child, nonchalantly sitting in the corner, blaming everyone else while probing his proboscis.

• Advertisement

It's like the calm before the storm, have been listening to Morning Ireland, pretty limp coverage generally, a little known independent senator (on the foreign affairs committee) spoke briefly, he certainly has many questions to ask and seemed to suggest other ministers might called in to explain themselves, most notably, Pascal.

Seems no one from FFG available to talk this morning, any wonder I suppose after yesterday's extraordinarily bad media performances.

It is certainly looking bad for Coveney, Varadkar and Martin. There's a reluctance to defend Coveney. Richmond probably wishes by now that he had one of the ordinary RTE types interviewing him instead of Sarah McInerney. Didn't see the Barry Ward appearance. Think that the committee meeting is live this morning.

Regards...jmcc

All excellent observations but I think MM had rather prematurely defended Coveney 🤔 over the weekend, seemed to think (bizzarely) there's been an over reaction generally. Now he's tongue twisted and perhaps feeling quite the fool after yesterday's revelations, just my own observation but had he stayed Quite (I know not easy), FG would have had to get out of this mess alone whilst FF smelling of roses as FG implode, just seems to me MM, jumped the gun a little and in essence dragged himself and FF into this debacle 🤔

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Holy smoke. Only managed to listen to that this morning on my drive into work, poor auld Neale, sent out to defend the indefensible, and gutted like a kipper.

Really should stick to photoshopping his head onto story's about the Kinihan gang.

Martin is very much a beta male. He's not a leader. That's why FG can run ring around him. He acts like an FGer rather than an FFer and the FFers seem to be running out of patience with him. Coveney should go and so should Varadkar and Martin. The problem is that unless there is simultaneous regime change in FF and FG, there will be no movement and the FFG crony coalition will continue to lose support. There's also that decision on whether or not to prosecute Varadkar over the leaks that has to be made soon. The cabinet leaks have yet to be considered.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Gavan Reilly makes an excellent point here.

FG members repeatedly contradicting FG members. Are any of them on the same page at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,448 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

If this is true.

Coveney needs to be gone first.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,906 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Once I heard the phone hacking lies I knew a hole had been dug.

Will it be the same story this morning, or a new one ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,201 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

The position Was Coveney's to grant. Its not a diplomatic position, its a short term contract for a cultural envoy. Barry Ward is mistaken.

Advertisement