Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leo Varadkar story in The Village??? - Mod Notes and banned Users in OP updated 16/05

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,620 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Right up there with the Paddy Cosgrave "dead nurse" story.

or Leo's corpse one?

You are one of the posters having a huff about people commenting on a story as it was breaking.

I suspect all this is because it was Leo and the concern about social media is not real.

Most people have accepted social media for what it is and don't take anything as fact until it is confirmed.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,394 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

One would think the so called ‘journalist’ would have verified his ‘story’ before going into the public realm

People who behave like that should start looking for another job kind of rapid.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,912 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

Maybe this source had not let him down before so he went with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

The Leo Defence Team are like a broken record in the way they all repeat the same phrases over and over again. Sometimes they pick a new phrase and run with that for a while, but I have to laugh when I hear the 'rent free' one. I imagine, like me 95% of the posters couldn't be bothered giving a 2nd thought to Leo most a lot of the time, but only do when Leo makes some f*ck up or does something that is really sticking his fingers up at the rest of us. Which, if you go back to since he became FG Leader, is quite a lot of times.

But it seems in their minds he can do no wrong. Literally. I imagine a giant poster of Leo in the wall of their mind, along with their favourite Leo movie quotes and Kylie playing in the background. Unhealthy blind following. The idea of mindlessly following anybody, but particularly somebody so crap is utterly mind boggling to me.

Rent free? Have a long hard look in the mirror, You may get a better picture of where he is living 'rent free'.

I know this won't stop the FG lot from using the phrase over and over and over again for another week or two until they come up with another, but like the angry, sexist, misogynistic, racist etc..previous repetitions It shows that they have no argument, no comeback, and are incapable of even trying to say something constructive. Like the lad who stood in the school playground with his tongue hanging out of the side of his mouth, only capable of 'derrrr'.. Monotonous noise.

• Advertisement

Unfortunately journalism today depend on these ‘sources’, one is given to understand.

Usually, it appears, disgruntled individuals holding grudges.

So called ‘journalists’ should surely check out the veracity before going public.

A few hefty court cases would soften their coughs.

How many journalists wouldn't be working at all if that was the case?

If it had turned out to be true and he didn't report it, he'd be facing the 'you are in the wrong job' stuff too.

There are stories published all the time that are not based on fact but speculation and there are posters here that pile onto them like the proverbial flies around you know what.

I do love the way they pretend they don't and head for the high moral ground when it's Leo.

You seem to be saying that so called ‘Journalists’ should take a chance and perhaps ruin a persons career then?

Journalists do Brendi, take yourself to the courts and see the carnage they can cause. Have a look at the defamation laws we introduced. They weren't brought in for nothing.

Now many journalists would say those laws inhibit their work, because the great and the good have created their own defence with these laws.

Which is why the great and the good and their defenders hate the auld social media. Not controllable, as has been mentioned.

My opinion would be that it does make mistakes but by and large it has been good for democracy. The great and the good can't keep their wee schemes, soirees and nest lining secret anymore, as we have seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭zom

People are getting screwed including media and journalism. Global internet control adds even more screwing and so we turning into dystopia because of freedom being reduced significantly on daily basis. For everyone. It is so terrifying that ignorance is not only a bliss anymore but somehow the only way to keep sane.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,373 ✭✭✭AllForIt

I think Leo Varadkar is a nothing special politician but has been made special because of his personal characteristics.

He doesn't strike me as someone of notable intellect, just someone who has made it through luck and circumstance.

Nothing against him particularity but he doesn't wow me in any way either.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,393 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

You know things are bad when thejournal.ie issues a Fact Check on the 'government jet' story.

The people who extoll the virtues of Twitter as a journalism platform are totally deluded on the way it has changed public policy debates into a big, perpetual and very angry fight over all types of nonsense, most of it untrue and false.

There are countless studies done on the effects of social media and the rise of extremism, mental health issues, isolation, misinformation, increased suicides, deterioration of civic discourse, and so on.

As the saying goes, a lie can be halfway around the world before the truth gets its boots on.

Social media is poison.

It is of course not surprising that the usual crew loves social media because it is seen as some benevolent force fighting the establishment and holding politicians to account. They are sucked into the whole narrative, giving blow-by-blow accounts of who said what and when, as if it's a game of football. They are on the side of the cranks, Russian bots, anti-vaxxers, and conspiracy theorsists who are all more visible these days. It is literally a hobby for some. Doom scrolling with some pseudo activism thrown in.

Now, one would think that the latest gaffe which had many people sucked in would be time for thought and reflect on how they consume social media, but Nah..... onwards with the bantz!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

We are way past the Private Jet false alarm.

A lot of documents were released today, giving some very important information about this 'nothing burger'.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,912 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Words cannot express the shame and regret I feel at being only one of many many posters on this site and others to have commented on a tweet about a still breaking news story, that I commented on numerous times that I "found it literally unbelievable" the (incorrect) story has been widely retracted, and a lengthy and sincere apology was issued by the journalist who penned the article because - his source made a mistake..

After deep reflection, I have taken the decision to falgulate myself in my garage in front of a picture of the chosen one (who halong bay is on record of saying "he personally doesn't like")

Also this.

You might not like him halong (don't think you like cosgrave either btw) for whatever the reasons were you stated at the time.

But goddamit he's your guy, and you'll defend his honour come hell or high water.

Who runs that Facebook account? Some nobodies?

Are they passing themselves off as The Pheonix? Because I just went onto their Facebook page and every.single.item of satire they had was anti-government.

The thing about satire is that you are supposed to shoot in every direction.

Poor effort all round.

What Facebook account? Are you sure you are qualified to comment on the quality of Twitter/Facebook or any other social media platform if you cannot differentiate between them marko?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,491 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Hearing something from one person and firing it off into the world is not journalism, its gossip.

While I don't doubt there are less than scrupulous journalists in the world, by and large they at least make an effort to confirm a story. Mainstream journalism has outed corruption and government malfeasance far, far, far more than guys who "heard something" on Twitter have

There have been many types of journalists for centuries now. Twitter didn't create the tatler or gossip column.

It's just funny Podge that this cry about social media is loudest whenever the established political parties are in the doodah.

I'm old enough to remember the exact same lamentations about the 'gutter' press and gossip. This story gained traction for a while because of the activity of colleagues of this particular politician and his previous arrogance. A perfect storm so to speak.

• Advertisement

Ok, so just to be clear, you decided to reference a Facebook page that wasn't linked to in this thread, literally moments before you made your comment about a Twitter account linked to...

Makes perfect sense. 🤔

• Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

Are you talking about yourself as you do chat a bit about nothing... then when it gets hot disappear....

Never disappeared for a second. Not my style. That's an out and out lie.

The Twitter item you linked to which doesn't appear on the Dr's Facebook page? 😁

Are you denying the negatives that social media is having on society, despite all the research and data collected?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,491 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

The story gained traction cause people wanted to believe it and didn't bother to apply a single bit of critical thinking to it. Not to mention the classic trope of "just asking questions" being thrown out.

I will happily sit here and criticise the "gutter press" - I can't stand them. Its the idea that somehow social media is suddenly exposing more corruption and is a better source of info that I find farcical. There are plenty of people doing very good work on it, but there is zero rigour or standards applied to what people throw out and as I am sure you are fully aware, the lie gets retold, seen and believed by orders of magnitude more people than the retraction and apology (if it ever appears).

I am pointing out the handy crutch these 'negatives' become whenever certain political entities are in trouble.

All sorts of things have negative influence on society, are you gonna deny that established media didn't have negative effects at times? It amazes me that all these oh so effected don't just leave SM if it is so bad and negative. Why take part in something that is negative?

I'll tell you why Mark, because despite it's negative aspects it is by and large a good thing, if used well, advantageous, and if used badly, like anything else used badly, negative.

You can sit there and criticise the gutter press until the cows coe home, it isn't going away either, it has been around for centuries.

You need to grasp the concept of being your own editor or you will never get to grips with SM, something that is here to stay.

Do as was done here, in the main, by those commenting, do not treat the story as 'fact' until it is officially confirmed.

• Advertisement

And its handy to dismiss out of hand the negatives of social media when you're in the thick of it giving the other lads a kicking, all in the name of some 'bantz'

Again, ignore the tonnes of research into the negatives of social media, the social isolation, the mental health issues, the increased risks of suicide, the misinformation, the bots spread by nation-states, the anti-vax stuff, the QANON stuff... and so on.

Social media gives oxygen to many of these things. Remember, we have a perfectly fine functioning democracy 20 years ago when we didn't have social media. If we didn't have it today, we would be fine.

It's OK though. In a few years time when the shoe is on the other foot, and your boys in West Belfast are getting a kicking from pillar to post, even if most of it is not fair or even true, you may think back to this post and say, "Maybe he had a point?"

Be careful about what you wish for.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement