Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Irish schools being sent ideological gender identity "pledge packs"

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 975 ✭✭✭Parachutes

Identify as any gender you want, you have the choice of 2.

It's entirely factual that cultures have had more than two genders... I'm also a tad lost on what tangible difference it makes to your life beyond using pronouns slightly differently.

You aren't at all lost Mike. You just disagree with me. I've explained my position over multiple threads which you have read.

If a gender can be anything, then essentially it means nothing.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Get out of here with that logic.

It doesn't suit the narrative of the doom mongers that we're going to be controlled by the big bad evil gender neutral folks.

The other thread was constantly dismissing this point, but literally ever single fear and divisive nonsense was said about homosexuals way back when. First it was a choice, then they would be forcing other people to be homosexuals, then the gays would want to ride everyone whether they were homo or heterosexual, then it would be indoctrined in children, then lefty-liberal teachers would start forcing children to be gay.

All of this nonsense has been said before and every time the world hasn't ended. Literally people have got on with their lives. Yet here we are again and the same sh*te is being spouted because the merchants of doom haven't anything else to scare people about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

There promoting an ideology ,under the guise of anti LGBT bullying ,14 or less children out of 1 million school children here ,

So why the big push to promote this in schools for a minority that has been Massively over representated over the last 3/4 years especially in schools ,

This came up previously about LGBT antibullying in schools where a document to used mentioned lesbian/s less than 5 times ,gay not much better , trans got mentioned 60+ times over a handful of pages .

Anti LGB bullying or just anti trans bullying because it's going to get the point of LGB won't be allowed to coexist with the t

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,741 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Nothing wrong with promoting Diversity and Tolerance but the whole pledge thing seems very over the top.

Just reminds of those overly nationalist US 'educational' things from the cold war.

There are ways to explain, promote and understand these complex issues as part of a wider curriculum in SPHE or equivalent.

All eyes on Kursk. Slava Ukraini.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

Well you see there’s this simple test you can do when a baby is born. Works in 99.9% of cases.

If the baby has a penis, it’s a male and if the baby has a vagina, it’s a female. I’m surprised no one else has figured this out.

XXY and XYY are generic anomalies, same as someone born with 6 fingers or three nipples, and make up less than 1% of births.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,789 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

We pledge to:

encourage diversity

normalise the display of all pronouns

educate those around us on issues that face the LGBTQIA+ community

spread awareness across our social media platforms

• Advertisement

intersex conditions are a massive red herring in this debate anyway, don't know why they're always brought up...

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,028 Mod ✭✭✭✭G_R

Taking this thread as a straw poll, it seems the vast majority of people don't have an issue with gay/bi/lesbian people, but they do have serious issues with people who are trans or don't identify as male/female, so maybe it's necessary that they focus on the areas where people are having the most trouble being tolerant.

Post edited by G_R on

I dont understand why people get so worked up about this sh!t tbh.

To be perfectly honest, I don't understand what it's like to not identify as male/female/whatever and the concept is a bit alien to me, but of course it is, and of course I don't, I'm perfectly happy identifying as a man and I have never experienced what they are experiencing.

If I can make someone who is clearly going through/has gone through something as tough in their life as not felling like they fit in with male/female by using a preferred pronoun, or whatever, then why the hell wouldn't I?

Anyone who wouldn't make such a small concession really needs to look at themselves as far as I'm concerned.

14 or less children out of a million are what?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 975 ✭✭✭Parachutes

That’s grand, I’m all for live and let live and allow people to do what they want.

The problem starts when you start dragging other people’s children in to it.

Ironically that's similar to TRAs' ideology - that sex and gender can be conflated.

But one is biological, the other is societal/psychological/cultural.

Do they have a problem with trans/non-binary people or conflating sex with gender? The two are not always the same thing.

There are plenty of languages that are gender-neutral. Turkish people (as an example) struggle with the he/she of English.

Most languages studied are gender-neutral.

He/she is the minority.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,354 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Is there anything to be said for just classifying people as plugs and sockets?

• Advertisement

That's got nothing to do with what I said.

Do you think everyone should respect one another's gender identity? Do you think all gender identities are equally valid?

Are they though, or are they just saying "look, not everyone always feels the same way you do. So be tolerant, be nice and don't bully others".

Also, what if there is a kid in the class who is struggling? Would it not be a great thing for them to hear that people are making active attempt to help them feel included?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,211 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

You do understand why people get worked up about it because you’re able to determine that someone gets worked up about it when people don’t use their preferred pronouns.

For yourself it’s a small concession, but you understand it’s a big enough deal to other people that you’ll use their preferred pronouns, whereas for other people, they see the idea of preferred pronouns as an attempt to undermine their world views which aren’t the same as the person or people who want people to use their preferred pronouns.

Everyones gone through or goes through shìt at some point in their lives, or at many points in their lives, that’s not really any kind of a standard for arguing that anyone else who doesn’t share a belief should pretend like they do just to make anyone else feel better. It’s inauthentic for starters, which means any kind of a relationship is based upon a false premise, which is damaging to a person’s mental health to have to keep up a pretence rather than being able to be themselves.

It’s really not as difficult to understand as you think it is, once you actually think about it from someone else’s perspective other than your own.

Yes.

And yes, all gender identities are equally valid.

And you agree that anyone can identify as anything they want? And you agree that there are an infinite amount of gender types?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 668 ✭✭✭mjsc1970

What are we all arguing about again ? Can someone clarify, exactly? Coz I'm lost now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,603 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

I guess people get worked up about this because they recognise that it adds confusion to an already confusing time for children.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭county

I see the Lord mayor's tweet isn't going as she expected, huge backlash from what I can see.

Is it really that much of an imposition to be told "sorry, I would rather you referred to me as x"?

Even if you don't get it, it's important for that person you're speaking to, so why not do it. To your point avout everyone going through stuff, everyone does, so we should all try an minimise the imapct of that (whatever it is) for everyone, no? It's surely just the decent thing to do.

The world view argument is a bit far fetched I think - no one is asking you to identify as something else, just to recognise that not everyone is like you.

It's only through usage that it becomes normalised and moves closer to acceptance across society as a whole, and then there is no need for campaigns like this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭85603

Those packs are creepy.

Theres a very manipulative thought process behind why a written signature is part of them.

And no doubt that signature will happen under childhood peer pressure.

Which was well known when these kits were designed by someone with psychological training.

People who have an issue with it will go out of their way to comment, people who dont care/have no issue, likely won't bother. It's the same as everything.

• Advertisement

You’d have attention seekers looking to be called double adaptors etc.

It's the false Ideology that's been pushed on children by so called activists hiding away behind some charitable status , just look at the thread about 3/4 year olds in Scotland being socially transitioned in preschool ,"it's ok there only respecting their preferred pronouns" children who can't read or barely count 1-20 can be socially transitioned ,

Preschool this is where this is going , someone has to stand up in education and say no I think we need to stand back and bring in independent psychological experts and let them see what is the best way forward ,not this constant barrage of trans ,trans ,trans ,

It's Massively over representated especially when it comes to school ,your not protecting any one your essentially saying these people are about the rest of you ,

They can't even decide how many genders and sexes there is ,and yet all we are hearing when it comes to lesbian ,gay/bi is the trans minority ,they need special protections,they need safe spaces they need separate toilets ,

How many trans kids in Irish schools less than 20 out of 1million I believe ,yet need these documents pushed into schools ,

Why - you have more chance of getting bullied for being from a poor background than being bullied for being trans ,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,308 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

My own 2 cents, but I don't have/want kids so I'm a bit biased.

Kids should certainly be told that it's ok to be one thing and feel differently. However, we should not be encouraging kids to act/behave in ways that we, as adults, have determined to be x, y or z. We should be teaching kids that you may feel this way, but it's ok to feel that way too, and that these can change over time so don't be getting bogged down with trying to fit with any type of group.

Kids should also be told about the religions, and that it's ok to change your mind or follow one over the other, or none at all.

But they should 100% be told that these are also personal things and that it shouldn't interfere with anyone else and their own lives. We should be teaching kids how to avoid using pronouns altogether (imo, this is what I do, works great) and teach them to call people by their names. Because not everyone will have the mental capacity or social skills required to remember and assign each pronoun correctly 100% of the time. And by pushing the agenda that they HAVE to be called x, y or z is basically the same as bullying, and with kids it hits home harder.

We should be teaching kids to treat words as exactly that, words. While other will try and use words to make you feel bad, at the end of the day, it's just words. I don't align to this new idea that words are the worst. They're not, they're just words, and we (adults) are putting strong emotions behind unnecessary things which is being imparted onto kids. We need to be making sure kids have been trained and built up a tolerance to "bad" words so that they know to just brush it off. And I'm saying this as someone who was bullied nearly every day throughout secondary school (and a fair chunk of primary) because of a feature I was born with. I got the sticks and stones thing every time I mentioned it, and it has thought me well that words are just words and have no weight, as long as you don't assign any to it.

But, after all that, I really don't care. I'll be in my own little bubble till I die, smiling to myself, no doubt looking maniacal to those on the outside. I'm ok with the idea of letting kids know there's such a variety out there, but they're still kids, they can't understand it the way most adults do, and should be a lot simpler, which is not easy considering it's not simple to begin with. But I'm 100% against any pledges for kids. Kids should just pledge to be kids.

Great post ,⬆️

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭NSAman

So what happens if a 6 year old wants to be called “sir” will the teacher respect that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,211 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Yes, it’s as much of an imposition on the person who doesn’t share their beliefs as it is on the person or people who are of that belief. I absolutely get it, and I get where you’re coming from, but if someone doesn’t share your beliefs, or if someone doesn’t share my beliefs, I wouldn’t continue to press them on it until they gave in, because it’s disrespectful of their perspective and their values and their beliefs which I don’t share, and I wouldn’t feel any better knowing they were just doing it to appease me and it wasn’t genuinely felt. I just couldn’t do that to another person, but I actually do understand that people who aren’t the same as me may not share my views.

That’s precisely where the idea of world views comes from - people have their perceptions formed throughout their lives, and if they’re any way switched on and socially aware, they know that other people exist who don’t share their world views - consider for example trying to tell an atheist that you’ve had a tough life and it would be nice if they would pretend to be Catholic because it would make you feel better. To you of course it’s not a big deal, but think of what you’re asking of someone who doesn’t share your beliefs or world view?

Even when you used the phrase “I identify as a man”, I don’t identify as a man, I am a man. I get why you put it in those terms, and I completely understand it, and I don’t think you would ever try to have me say “I identify as a man too”. You’d know by me even if I tried that I was just pretending and that I didn’t truly believe in what I was saying. I dunno how you’d feel about it but I just wouldn’t do it in any case because I’d know it was disrespectful. It’s why I always rather than try and argue with someone about something which I understand is so fundamental to who they are as a person, I won’t do it, I won’t attempt to undermine their world views or their beliefs. I’d rather just avoid them altogether or have nothing to do with them if I know it’s something that we both feel as strongly about as we do.

I get that it’s only through use that it becomes normalised, and the same could be said of any idea, and I don’t support anyone who goes so far as to try and humiliate anyone who doesn’t share their beliefs, I don’t support the idea of humiliating anyone on the basis of their beliefs either. It’s a person’s behaviour and their attitude towards others I’d take issue with in any case, because I believe that everyone has a shared responsibility towards other people in society, as opposed to the idea of being coerced or guilt tripped into going along with something which undermines their own beliefs just to make someone else happy.

That’s precisely what makes people miserable, and I imagine that people who have been miserable pretending to be someone or something they’re not their whole lives would be able to understand that much and wouldn’t want anyone to feel as they did or they still do.

People who wish to promote ideologies like this will always exist, and that’s why campaigns like this will always exist, and I don’t blame people for campaigning for the kind of society they wish to live in, I do the same thing every day. The difference being I guess that I prefer to lead by example and I don’t support trying to coerce either adults or children into doing something, knowing they’re prone and vulnerable to peer pressure.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,590 ✭✭✭LLMMLL

Very odd.

If words are just words and you want kids to see them as having no power then why teach them not to use pronouns? Pronouns are words so if you've successfully framed them as harmless then why wouldn't they kids use them?

Also teaching kids or anyone not to use pronouns is a pretty crazy control of natural language.

Do you really think kids will be like "I played with John yesterday. John is nice. John said X. John this. John that." Frankly they will sound stilted and unnatural.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Nope was in DCU 1998-2002 and was most definetely the LGB society, I clearly remember it .

No need to struggle because that's not what people are getting angry about.

Frightening to think that utter lunatics like this are indoctrinating kids with this complete bullshyte ...

• Advertisement

YEs and she removed the ability of people to reply ...

it was getting ratiod .... must have been all the mythical far right trolls we keep hearing about.

i was going to say the forum here was LGB until the 2010's probably, i'm not sure when it changed to include the T but a quick search shows that it was actually GLB in 2003

Edit, 28/5/2010 the name was changed to include T

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,354 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Is it OK to just respect the individual without having to validate their identity? Like you would with somebody who identifies as 'spiritual'? Or a 'Coldplay fan'?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭AllForIt

FYI

Before the LGBT+ acronym - there was no acronym. Not Even LGB, which of course is all gay without the heterosexual trans or anyone else.

If there was a T in the Gay World, it was transsexual, not Trans, which was basically a guy dressing as a woman, for the sexual kink of it. So you'd have a straight guy (nudge nudge wink) dressing as a woman, having sex with a heterosexual man (nudge nudge wink), in a heterosexual scenario, but basically it was gay sex.

In recent years these transsexuals who were engaging in gay sex, have been appropriated into the trans world, by people with ideological views on trans issues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,308 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

It sounds stilted and unnatural because it's the opposite of what we're used to, but with time and effort it will become normal and using pronouns would sound unnatural. But that's neither here nor there. I agree with you, pronouns are nice and all, but it's gotten to the stage that it's getting too complicated, ie: too much hassle, for most people to try and keep up with, so just drop it altogether. No one can be offended if no one uses pronouns, only those who wish to stand out.

I know when I pick up something new, and I hit that wall where it's getting beyond my understanding, if I know that my interest isn't enough to go and really learn it, I'll drop it and think nothing more. Some people call that quitting, I call it a reasonable decision considering my interests are constantly changing, ie: not proper interests. Keeping up with pronouns, nah, not interested, so I don't use them. At least not with new people anyway, can't change old habits overnight!

Just my opinion anyway, and I'm nobody (not Nobody, that'd be awesome and I wouldn't be here replying) basing it all on my own life-lived experiences and social circles. And if this thread takes off like a lot of these hot topic ones do, I'll lose interest in this too and stop posting, too much reading and I'm contributing a lot of that so.... I'm probably done already.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,863 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

I'm terrible at remembering people's names. I'm sure as hell going to be useless trying to remember people's "preferred pronouns" on top of all that.

So I hope the LGBTQI+ community are as understanding of this when I refer to them as he/she or they.

I identify as Samuel L Jackson, so everyone else’s pronoun is muthafucker to me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,850 ✭✭✭Lillyfae

I really can't understand the LGB people being turfed in with everyone else. It's a totally separate cause. My suspicion is that without the LGB there simply aren't enough numbers to make up the other group so it's just been hijacked.

This "pledge" is total nonsense. Just be nice, that's really all there is to it. Deal with bullies, no matter who they bully, and teach children that it's ok to be yourself but you have to respect others being themselves too.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement