Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Honda NC750X DCT- Good starting bike?

Options
  • 29-08-2021 7:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

Greetings folks,

Title says it all really, i'm 26 and planning to start driving a motorcycle fairly soon (Booking my theory tomorrow). First time i'll be going for a license let alone a motorcycle. I'm mainly interested in a bike over a car as i've been huge into competitive mountain biking for a large chunk of my life, plus it's handy for me to commute to work (Only about 15km each way)

Been looking around and i've my eyes on a Honda CB500X or a NC750X with dual-clutch.

Can anyone recommend if either of said bikes will be decent for a first timer? Found some bonkers insurance quotes around 3 grand 😵

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Any particular reason you are going for the Duckleberry-T version? You might be stuck on automatic forever if you do your test on that bike

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Dudeguy

True enough, sure I was even looking at the standard manual version too. No particular reason, i'm just a lazy bollocks I guess 😂 Been on a Suzuki SV 650 'round the back of a Tesco to get used to gear shifting and i'll be doing my IBT on one too.

I'm more looking to see if the bike itself could be suited to a new rider or if it's too large etc etc. Going for the full A test obviously, wondering if there's anything other than the insurance cost that would put me off it as a newbie.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Both are great bikes, I have an AT DCT, and my son has a CB500FA (you're looking at the X version).

Tbh I think insurance is going to decide it for you. I think the CB500X a better starter bike - and even at that you might struggle to get a quote. I think the Ins Co's call it a Tier 2 bike, which means no-quote without 3 years NCB.

I doubt anyone will quote you on the AT at all, but I'm open to correction on that.

Another bike in the same vein as the CB500X is the Benelli TRK502

Post edited by galwaytt on

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭KildareMan

As a 1st bike the 500 would be a better choice. As Galwaytt says you would be unlikely to get any good quotes on the Nc750

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Colm17RvB

Both are great bikes, I especially love the CB500X, however, I'd be wary of 2 things; can you sit your cat A test on either of them; and the DCT being Automatic mightn't be the best thing to learn on and restrict you in the future.

I recently got an automatic car (wife's decision, not mine!) and I truly hate it, but that's me... With bikes though going Automatic seriously limits your purchase options unless you are intentionally going by design on the scooter route, each to their own if you are, but try to get the Full A manual licence and learn/know how to ride full manual might serve you better long term. That's my 2 cents.

• Advertisement

well I agree you should do your A test on a 'manual', and then the world is your oyster for evermore: manual or auto.

But to suggest Auto=scooter is wrong. I have an Africa Twin DCT and it so good I'm not going to consider anything but DCT for my next bike at all, which I hope to commit to ordering in the next 6 weeks or so.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Dudeguy

This is more or less the route I can see myself taking in the distant future (Providing all goes well), a lot of the bikes ill have my eyes on in the future have DCT options and although many people prefer the more traditional shifting method, I've heard a lot of praise for the automatic kind too. Different tastes in riding I suppose, nothing wrong with either 😛

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭jeremyr62

I agree with the other posters. You must take your test(s) on a manual. You than have your pick.

DCT is great. I have a NC750S with it and I was deeply sceptical at first having being forced to get a bike with no clutch due to a persistent tennis elbow problem. However it grew on me immediately and I really enjoy riding with it. It frees you to concentrate on the traffic. Perfect for busy commuting.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

As mentioned, do the test on a manual. Ive a NCx DCT and its a game changer especially for commuting. My next commuter will be a DCT also and most likely the latest NC.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,979 ✭✭✭✭listermint

There's too much love on here for DCT. Will ye go way out of that . Down with these DCT fan boys I say.

:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

Mate has a NC750 DCT. It would be a great starter bike but I expect your insurance quotes will soar compared to the 500.

The DCT is ok, but I'd avoid it to be honest, the NCs are far from thrilling and the DCT makes it even more dull and limits any fun you might be able to squeeze out of it. I'd also echo the points above, your license will be restricted to automatics if you do your test on it so you're left renting a different bike for the test, doesn't make sense to me. As a noob learning to shift etc is a invaluable to you at this stage.

Ode To The Motorist

Owned, no. Ridden, yes, plenty. But this seems like a loaded question so please go ahead with whatever you had in store for me anyway.

Just curious is all: it's obvious from my post above I have one, but also that OP should get a 'manual' this time around.

As is so often on the 'net, subjective opinions are easier to come by than objective ones.....

You know what they say: "just 'cos your paranoid doesn't mean they're NOT out to get you ;) "

Ode To The Motorist

😂

I've ridden my mates bike loads and while it's a good bike its pretty dull. Of course, I haven't lived with one and I'm sure it's a great commuter but it's a typical Honda so no personality, lots of reliability.

So, you haven't got one, haven't lived with one, assume it's a commuter, and think it's dull and has no personality.

So, you're a bar stool expert then.

Clearly you've no idea what you're talking about.

Bar the reliability of course.

Ode To The Motorist

• Registered Users Posts: 18,992 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

A dull bike is the best type of bike for learner, I don't see many schools with R1s as their loaner bikes They can get their 200bhp superbike when they've a bit more experience or like lots of other people they can get a 50bhp bike to go to work and the odd weekend spin and be perfectly happy on it, not everyone wants to get their knee down on the road.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

They've driven one plenty so doesn't that entitle them to an opinion?

of course, but it needs to be weighted for what it is.

Ode To The Motorist

As we're balancing things here you never mentioned owning a NC750, just a cb but seem to be able to claim it's a great bike. Based on what.... Discuss.

Seems to me you're not only on the barstool you're on a high horse too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

Well a good ol' internet squabble is ONE way of bringing traffic back here

• Registered Users Posts: 33,979 ✭✭✭✭listermint

A bike that is ubiquitous in availablity I.e gears is the best type of bike for a learner. Then you can transition down to a DCT. Anyone saying someone should start out on an automatic is off their heads. It's the opposite way you should learn the correct skills for motorcycling to be frank.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭jeremyr62

I posted above and I own a DCT 750S version. The USP of the NC700/750 S or X, DCT or not are the frunk and the fuel economy, and the DCT if it has it. It is definitely not the most exciting bike on the planet with only 50 odd hp. But two wheels and an engine can be always be exciting and involving and the NC is no different. I am old enough to have multiple bikes and if I could only own one, it probably wouldn't be the NC. But it's a good bike and as a commuter, its near perfect IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,992 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Should have said ideal for a novice not a learner. Learn with gears than ride what you want.

Advertisement