Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Property Market chat II - *read mod note post #1 before posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Hubertj

pretty sure the seller has to pay back the difference between market price and affordable price so they didn’t get an affordable house when all said and done….. dictating who you can and can’t sell to and for how much means you don’t really own the house…. Which is part of the Sinn Fein boll*x ideology.

it’s not ideal scenario regarding affordable houses but you don’t know the sellers circumstances. They might need to trade up due to family size, relocate, emigrate etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭PommieBast

Even if you win the "bidding" the pain does not end there. I got fed up of having to pull out of Sale Agreeds because of stuff my solicitor unearthed as part of due-diligence. I finally emigrated last month and have not looked back at Dublin since.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭mcsean2163

A bungalow with a granny flat on 2.2 acres in delgany. A steal for €1.6 million.🤯😭😭

We must be hitting some sort of peak?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,113 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

I've seen a lot worse value than that if I'm honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

They only have to pay back part of the difference. In this case the seller came out 100k the better, far more than had the house been normally purchased and sold in the same time period.

• Advertisement

That’s not good. I would have thought the clawback should have been the savings they made on affordable vs market price. That’s the only issue I see here.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,627 ✭✭✭Villa05

Sellers circumstance is irrelevant, they get a subsidised house are spared from the carnage of the rental market and get the money back they invested in the home plus cpi inflation under SF proposals

To be making off with a profit of 100k as reported in the Ballymun apartment sale recently is obscene

What are the chances that apartment gets leased by the state at market rates. This madness needs to stop if the issue is ever to be fixed

So it’s not really their property under the Sinn Fein plan. The only thing I see wrong here is that the full amount wasn’t clawed back. To suggest the sellers circumstances are irrelevant is wrong in my opinion.

The land stays in state ownership and is effectively the subsidy on the property under SF plan. The householder benefits from the subsidy but rightly is not the owner of that subsidy.

In the Ballymun case the claw back was fixed at 30k ie the valuation of the site

So like I said it’s not really your house. If you think that’s a good idea we’ll agree to disagree.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

I don't see an inherent problem with that so long as it's a possibility, but not the *only* possibility in the market, and I think the latter is unlikely. The big challenge people in the rent trap have is trying to build equity, this cuts that out of the equation. If these are people unlikely to get on the property ladder otherwise, what's the dealbreaker?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,631 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

It's all relative. The lodge has a BER if F. With a house that size the running costs would be horrific. It sits on an acre

Cluin Mhuire sits on two acres with stables. It could well be attractive younger family couple. As well it may allow a parent to contribute by selling a family home and moving into the two bed granny flat. Not the prettiest bungalow. It has a D2 BER which suggest for a house build 30 years ago it was build to a good spec. Running costs would be modest.

One is a house you and you children will be going around in body warmers from October to May. The other is where your kids learn to ride a pony with there grandparents watching

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 20,113 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

I love that place to be fair but 400k is 400k if you don't have it then it's a moot point. You'll always get better for a 'bit' more.

The beneficiaries get a home for a fraction of the market rate. What's not to like? If you want full ownership your free to enter the private market and pay double/triple

• Administrators Posts: 53,845 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

It's Delgany. Everything is expensive in Delgany.

2 acres is a large site too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

Really the BER is such a con, the way its implemented in Ireland.

People put far too much emphasis on the BER.

I'll get that BER to a C1 for you for €10k or less :)

Did it many times.

Then you can take off your coats.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

One point many people are missing is that money is recycled in this plan.

EG - the LDA put €50m into building 200 affordable houses and sell them at €250,000 each, that €250,000 goes back into the fund to be used for the next project. Effectively the entire €50m returns to the fund once all the houses are sold.

On the "discount" off market. I would guess that it would reduce over the years, but if someone bought at €250k and sold at €300k in 5 years about €30,000 - €35,000 would be returned into the refund and used for further building.

You do have to be very careful about wild headlines such as those in the Irish Times recently (surprised the IT went the daily mail route). Original price was an €80,000 reduction on market. €57,000 was returned as part of the agreement. So net excess was €23,000. Add in what the owners did in terms of decoration and legal feesand you are close to €10,000.

The rest was the market that moved and assuming that they are purchasing somewhere else, that property has also gone up, so there's little real gain for them and I would assume that they no longer can participate in an affordable housing scheme.

But you'd swear by the hysterics of the irish times that it was armageddon

The money may well be recycled on affordable purchase, but we eventually run out of state owned land and end up worse off.

We really need to be doing better than guessing when discussing how our taxes are spent. As well as the site costs, levies and charges are foregone that help fund the infrastructure required so that those houses exist.

In no way are all these recouped when the home is sold to the private market.

If we are in a position where new homes are only affordable to the top 25%of income earners, there needs to be a transitionary market of housing that is immune from the speculative private market.

People should move between these markets not the houses. A receiptient of one of these affordable homes is effectively getting a 50% cut in their housing costs over the private rental market. If they want to get a full ownership, Save the difference and move on to the private market and pass the house onto the next person

Selling these houses to the private market is insanity and a very expensive vote harvesting policy

• Registered Users Posts: 18,631 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

That house is 4400 sq feet. ,10 k seems small money to get it to C2 and get it to a place where you could heat it easy. As well you are looking at 10-12' ceilings as opposed to 8-9'. The other factor is to upgrade the BER without changing the period look of the house.

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

€10k. And it will be a C1.

A B would be pushing it without more investment. Really not worth the expense.

But €10k max will get it to a C1.

Ive lost count of how many times we have done this since BERs came in.

The issue in Ireland is people do not understand how BERs work.

They see a low BER and think the place is a wind tunnel.

For example, solar water and LEDs are going to do nothing for the cold, but will bring up the BER.

A bit of insulation for a couple of hundred will also bring it up.

Put it all together with maybe a reconditioned boiler from the last few years and you are nearly there.

After that its a little more expensive. Pumped insulation, or even 50mm insulation backed plasterboard will get you up some more.

And of course, a new insulated water tank.

All of that can be done quite cheaply. Then you can pick off the next things on your list to improve it.

Anyway, regardless, if you can afford to buy that house you wont be moving into it with a BER of F.

• Administrators Posts: 53,845 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Are you mixing Delgany up with somewhere else?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,498 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

It's at the very edge of what has a higher zoning density, needs Irish water and few other utilities to upgrade first there are a few small developers and builders mooching around that property.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

Margins on new houses in commuter suburbs are running at 14-18% based on the financial reports of the publicly quoted cairn homes and glenveagh. This include very generous pay and pensions for the top management.

So a 3 bed home in Naas that was selling at about 320k (including site costs, design, connections to services, vat etc) was finished for about 260k.

Take the excessive pay packages for the top execs and you are under €250k

Remember "affordable" does not mean selling at a loss and the LDA remit also allows them purchase land, but in reality there is more than enough state land in primae areas around the country to build 200,000+ homes.

People need to stop believing the PR guff from the various interest partied in the construction industry that are saying it cost €xxx to build a house - its BULLSH1T

Your post shows how easy it can be to resolve the housing issue.

With regard to state owned land, much of it is held by semi state bodies and is booked as an asset on their accounts. This is not free land it has to be purchased. Source the late debate rte radio 1 10/06/2021

I maintain that state subsidised affordable housing should remain affordable and not be sold into the private market, that way the one home can act as a bridge for multiple persons/families from private rental to private home ownership.

It must not be used as a windfall lotto win for 1 person/family.

I remember as a child how many families needed improved housing and it appeared to be only families that were involved in canvassing for a certain political party received it.

All Ireland housing supply still increasing:

Mobile searches

10-Sept-2021

All - 12509

Wicklow - 475

Kildare - 450

Dun laoghaire - 28

Glenageary - 25

13-Sept-2021

All - 12583

Wicklow - 468

Kildare - 462

Dun laoghaire - 28

Glenageary - 26

David McWilliams bottle half full views on the new housing plan. The usual points being made. Alot of low hanging fruit left unpicked

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Be difficult to see prices coming down if current conditions stay as they are and numbers build go to 35k a year. Developers aren't going to drop prices. The minute they see a slow down they'll be throttling back supply.

I hope interest rates are increased.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Yer man from Crazy House Prices was on Claire Byrne last night.

He bought a house. Seemingly house prices aren't so crazy for him considering he had the luxury of deciding where he wanted to live and went around putting letters in peoples letterboxes.

I have severe doubts whether someone would be willing to not go to market to sell their house.

They have essentially left probably 30-50k on the table by not going to market. If someone was not knowledgeable on the market and maybe a bit older and they thought they'd save money on fees as the letter in the door said that, that's a bit dodgy.

It doesn't really save the seller time either. They still have to show the house. The buyer had no idea on the condition of the house so it's not like they could have offered them 350k with the first letter either.

Advertisement