Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Currently buying/selling a house? How is it going? READ MOD NOTE POST #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,903 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

Yep, would agree with this. We're at the start of a short enough chain (us, our vendors and our vendors vendors), and all of us are private buyers, with us being the only FTBs. All the buyers/vendors are screaming to get this done, all the delays that have happened were with banks and solicitors dragging their feet.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭deise121

we're first time buyers. not in any rush to move in once we get a house because we'd still be able to afford to rent for quite a few months

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭random_banter

Has anyone tried to get a surveyor in Dublin recently?

When we went SA this week the agent asked us to “arrange the survey within one week to avoid delays with the sale”. However our preferred (and the banks’s recommended) surveyor isn’t available for three weeks. We won’t be around the week after next anyway and would like to meet the surveyor to chat at the end of their time in the house. In addition, the vendor is doing some work on the property and it would be great if the surveyor saw it finished. So it would definitely suit our side to wait the three weeks.

Is it seen as too long by the agents/vendors to wait three weeks from SA for the survey? A little anxious about it as don’t want to put the sale in jeopardy either.

Second query is - does anyone have any knowledge that surveyors are subject to longer timelines at the moment? Maybe it’s the pandemic?

Thanks all.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 soupy mince

I was looking for a surveyor for a house I was sale agreed on two weeks ago. Rang a few that had been recommended to me by solicitor and others but none were available - presume due to holiday period etc. So I went with Property Health Check - as recommended by others on here. They are pricey but I got a very thorough report and as they have a few surveyors they seem to be quicker. Re your question on waiting 3 weeks - just coming from my experience my vendors were keen for me to get the survey done I presume because it shows you are more likely to follow through on the sale. Good luck with the purchase.

• Registered Users Posts: 993 ✭✭✭FrankN1

After over 3 years and 150+ house viewings, I finally got keys today. Crazy process but worth it. Thank for all the help here. Great thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

Dont do this. Because if there in another lockdown or either of you even got made redundant or changed jobs then you are back to square one and will end up working your probation for 6 months and only then being able to apply again.

If that happenes at the same time as a recession then you are off theproperty ladder and renting for a good few years to come..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭tobsey

That's standard estate agent speak to try and move the sale along as quickly as possible. They don't get paid until the sale goes through. From what you said you should wait until the vendor has completed the work and your surveyor is available. The vendor's solicitor could start preparing the contracts in the meantime.

The survey may bring up planning concerns which you solicitor might want to raise queries on, so that's why it's good to do the survey as early as you can, but also you want to make sure it's done right and you get all the information you can from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,903 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

Another day's delay (at least) found out the day before closing from the vendors and not from our solicitor. Absolutely raging. Doesn't help that I will be out of the place I'm staying in at the moment tomorrow so have to sort out where I'm staying the next night or 2.

The 2 solicitors are still blaming each other, one saying they haven't heard anything from the other and the other saying they have been ringing all week with no reply.

In any case we're not going to recommend either of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭Mr Hindley

I'm sure your solicitors (and the vendor's) will come up with a thousand reasons not to, but maybe you could organise a group conf call - Zoom or whatever - with all four parties on it together, so there can be no excuse for one side claiming to not know what's going on?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,566 ✭✭✭✭kippy

If there's one thing I have seen in these transactions over the years is that none of the paid people every really want the buyer/seller to speak with each other directly and that almost all comms between solicitors is via letter/fax.

I am not sure why tbh as I have no doubt things would come along much faster!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭Mr Hindley

If everything's working properly, that approach makes sense - let the experienced professionals handle everything, rather than unqualified amateurs (i.e. the ordinary punters like thee and me, who being honest wouldn't know as much) getting involved. Also keeps the emotions out of it.

BUT when you clearly have at least one, if not both, solicitors dragging their heels, such that the entire sale is at risk; and at least one, if not both, telling fibs, then someone somewhere has to bash heads - it sounds like it's the solicitors' own fault that the buyer and vendor are having to cross-check with each other and work out what's going on! They've blown any justification for the 'just leave it to us' argument.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,036 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

In any case we're not going to recommend either of them.

Not the first time I've heard the above line, we've avoided a number of solicitors because of these stories... I wonder do solicitors realise that buyers talk to each other?

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭random_banter

Woohoo, managed to figure out how to do two quotes on new boards. A win.

Just an update on this - thanks for the advice. Spoke to the agent today re: the survey delays and of course it's not an issue, the agent said they are all on holidays at the moment. It was really worth losing sleep over all weekend. 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 4,110 ✭✭✭Colemania

We went sale agreed middle of July and the vendors solicitors haven't sent over the contracts to our solicitors yet.

Now on one hand, we don't mind the delay because we're now allowed to drawdown until mid November but it just has be a tiny bit worried if something is wrong. Is it normal to take so long to get the contracts to the buyers solicitors after going sale agreed?

I agree. I was shocked by the same finger pointing with the solicitors engaged in my purchase. It’s like they have no empathy for the fact that this is important for people, and is an emotional and stressful time. Would be interested as to a solicitors perspective with this

What is the status of the sellers? Are they looking to buy a property at the same time? They might be still trying to go sale agreed on a property. You could ring the estate agent. Once it goes sale agreed they seem to push to close as quickly as possible so they get their fee. If there is a delay with getting contracts they’ll contact the seller to see if they can speed them up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,771 ✭✭✭antimatterx

Cut

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭PropBuyer101

• Registered Users Posts: 4,110 ✭✭✭Colemania

As far as I know when we initially viewed the house they had a house already lined up but I don't know what the status is now. A query has gone from our solicitors to theirs so waiting to hear back now.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭PropBuyer101

if its any consolation it really is a very slow process and it could take a few months from sale agreed to contract signing - why? I have no idea!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 cupcaketown

Just gone sale agreed on property after years of searching! Had a structural survey carried out by property health check - report was provided to PTSB who have picked up on some minor cracking on exterior walls. Second Hand Home built in 1930s - surveyor said this is common in houses of this age however bank have asked "We will require further information on this and details of associated costs to remedy these works and written confirmation the subject property is structurally sound before we can proceed further here."

I've already paid a surveyor to tell us the house was structural sound so anyone know what my options are here or anyone had this scenario before?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

Ask your surveyor to write a letter with some details, stating also that its perfectly normal in a house of that age and does not need any work to remedy.

You could ask your surveyor if they are willing to write that letter but they'll probably charge you for it. I think your solicitor should raise it with the vendor as an issue identified by your surveyor and the vendor should pay a surveyor to have it certified. That way if there is an issue in the future and the vendor's architect was found to be wrong then a claim could be made against their professional liability insurance. I don't think you should pay for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭ec18

why should they? Homeowners selling are trying to get maximum price and convenience, unfortunately that is the current market that a cash buyer with a relaxed time frame for closing is preferable to a buyer arranging finance looking to move in as soon as possible?

Sale agreed since early June, Estate agent says contracts were due first week of August, still no sign, estate agent ghosting us... Should we be worried? Buying in Galway if that helps

In denise121's example the homeowners are clearly more interested in convenience than price, which of course they're entitled to be,

But to be fair I think they're misguided in their interest. The main thing delaying house purchases these days is solicitors and cash buyers aren't going to make solicitors move faster than mortgage buyers

• Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭ionapaul

We've been attempting to sell (3 bed) and buy (4/5 bed) in South Dublin since March this year. We previously we're sale agreed on both sides of this chain, but it fell apart due to the vendors of the house we were looking for thinking they'd get more €€€ going back to the market in the late summer. We lost our purchasers as a result as we felt we could not go through with the sale without having a place to move into. Since then, it has proved very hard to find a buyer for our place; admittedly the asking price went up to just under the amount we were previously sale agreed at, which I'm sure has put some people off. But it just seems like things are much quieter now for certain properties, in March there was a bidding frenzy for our place! And we've viewed a few places recently in the €800k-€950k range with zero bids (and haven't place any bids ourselves for that matter, as we don't see any value), while other places in the same price range but slightly different locations see bidding wars. Feels like the market is a little in flux.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Well peeps, what's the state of the market at the minute? Any sign the mania has cooled down?

I'm a singleton who got mortgage approval months ago and stopped looking. I could pay 240k for a 2 bed apt. but they're tiny 60 square metre spots. It's ridiculous money. Some are even going over 240. In my opinion, 220k would be a reasonable price.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

It's 20k or a 9% increase over 220k. If you think 220k is reasonable then imo it's a bit of a stretch to call 240k ridiculous. That 20k could easily get eaten up by rent or the prices could climb to 260 or 280 while you're waiting.

In other words if you consider it reasonable at 220k and you can get it for 240k, I'd go for it. OTOH if these apts are really too small for you then you'd be wasting your money at 220k or 240k or even 200k.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,669 ✭✭✭✭klose

Just back from the estate agent after collecting out booking deposit for a second house we've been let down on, worst part is we are the guts of a grand out of pocket for valuation/survey reports which were completed. He said its more common alot of sales are failing through due to links in the chain pulling out, beyond annoyed at this stage.

Advertisement