Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team 2023/24 [old thread]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,989 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Yeah, but their winding things down and doing away with Eir Sports after this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,395 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

Eir sport is gone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,128 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

They are very bad at updating the listings when they put stuff on RTE news too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,024 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

You can only get away with committing that many bodies to defence if you have truly exceptional players at the other end who can tear teams apart with pace and skill and clinical finishing, while outnumbered. We just don’t have that… If we played the way they do we might never score again. Our forwards are so far below the Sterling/Kane/Foden etc standard as to be incomparable, so need a lot more help from fullbacks and midfielders to try to create much easier opportunities to give us some chance to score.

We need to find a balance that’s still defensively sound - with players closing down shots from distance ffs (our two most disappointing results coming from the same mistake is very frustrating!) - but also has enough of a threat to see us play through opponents to create a few easy enough chances that our lads might take them.

(also worth keeping in mind - that’s only England’s approach in tournaments. In qualifying they just go out, control the game, and smash teams.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,914 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

I already explained it England pragmatic approach getting results some would say overachieved, or at the very least finally achieved what they should.

Kenny in contrast has an idealistic approach to football, one that is not results first. An approach which seems to have little in the way of tactical nous and the basics of football.

Regardless of his idealistic approach it should not be purely idealistic the basics should not be forgotten. Work rate, effort, closing down, structure, set plays attacking and defensive. It is clear by any metric Kenny is under achieving and the team does not even seem to have a solid structure or plan this many games in.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

They smash teams in qualifying because the seeding system makes it almost impossible for a team that good not to qualify in most groups. The days of McLaren style English teams are gone for the near future.

In all the big games they lost or nearly lost Colombia, Croatia, Denmark and Italy their biggest failing was not pressing the advantage when a goal up against clearly rattled or overwhelmed sides.

In the Euros final I was so sure Italy would equalize because England done what they used to do which is exactly what smaller teams like Ireland keep doing and sat back and gave the opposition all the ball and let them grow into the game.

Our problem is pragmatism or a lack of it our problem is we can't score with any of the pressure or chances we make

Exactly my point England set up pragmatically not to concede goals. If you look at the history of football the base of most success is a solid defensive structure. Especially with limited teams like Ireland.

Jack Charlton - knew this at International football keep it simple. Regardless of the style of play there was a solid structure there.

Mick Mc - also knew this even though he change style slightly.

Kerr - knew this his approach was a cautious one, hardly lost any games

Staunton- did not his defensive structure was all over the shop (surprising for a class defender) (could not spot a player either google Joe Lapria). Worst with the media than Kenny.

Trap (world class continental manager)- basically laughed at what he had to work with Ireland and went ultra cautious - no risk (he left out Andy Reid for a reason)

MON - maintained defensive solidity - structure - was unsure on 'Wes' because it could break the solidity. But on occasion Ireland played decent stuff like in 2016.

Mick part II -knew he did not have the players of 2002 level - so he set them up to be hard to beat and scrap for everything. Hard to beat. Blooded young players gradually.

Kenny - all about 'philosophy' way of playing don't mind the results he views his job as a developmental role. I have seen no solid structure so far. The basics of football seem forgotten about. His interviews are that poor most of the time, sometimes I feel they should bring back Trap's 'Manuela' to speak for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,796 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Connolly not in the match day squad apparently. Not looked 100% for us at all, wonder is he injured?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,279 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

He'll be missed even if only as an impact sub if needed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,404 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

All this back and forth.

The side that want to believe results are irrelevant better believe he needs a result tonight.

• Advertisement

Ferguson, Devoy, and Bagan all making their debuts from the start. Good to see two wingers actually playing on the wings and Devoy playing as the 10, the lads a serious baller.

Really looking forward to seeing Ferguson playing from the start.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,943 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Connolly's there to score goals. He hasn't in how many matches? And his decision making has been really poor.

Can't say I'm unhappy he is not in the squad tbh.

He needs something a sign of a plan or structure, players knowing thier roles. Good on set plays attack and defence. Even if Ireland lose I would take that. I don't give Ireland much of a chance at all. Unless Bazunu has a stormer again.

It almost seems like how I used to laugh when I used to watch NI play on the BBC for the craic. When they were very poor. The goalkeepers used to be great because of all the practice they got saving shots. A corner given for NI used to be treated as if it was a goal. As it was 'something'. That is the level the ROI are at now a 'joke' team. Worse really, a joke team with philosophical 'notions'. Like an obese fat bird who thinks she is a (plus size) 'model'. It is deluded stuff. Even the Mickey Mouse teams now think we have a chance here against these crowd.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭Tchaikovsky

For someone so young, he's had a hell of a lot of injuries.

All the talk of needing results has this stuck in my head all day

A lot of our players seem to pick up all these niggly injuries. Don't think he would have started anyway tonight. My guess would be Robinson partnering Idah. Hopefully it's Robinson dropping back to link up and leave Idah further up the field.

That chance he created for Connolly the other night, he should be the one in the box and our wide players getting in behind to pick him out with a pull back.

I see Evan Ferguson is starting for the U21s. Live on RTE player for anyone interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,760 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

Yes I mentioned earlier that he took a long time to reappear on the bench on Saturday after being taken off, appeared to be injured.

Obviously got lost in all the nonsense being posted in the thread from blow-ins.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Mervyn Skidmore

• Advertisement

?? Looks like not being shown :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

U21 games are rarely shown over in Europe to be fair.

Some countries have obscure channels where they can put it on, but generally no one cares.

But apparently RTE are suppose to be showing it?

It says on the website

https://www.fai.ie/ireland/news/preview-luxembourg-u21-v-ireland-u21

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭Duff

We've been lied to? By the FAI? Never. Shambles as usual.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,450 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

• Advertisement

Found a stream of Ire/Lux but no sound. Am I allowed post link?

Yeah I think I watched the Luxembourg away game last campaign but it's a hassle and you need to use VPNs and mess around with things. It's like their version of the RTE player.

Don't think so, but you can find same stream on one of the replies of Dan McDonnells tweets.

Ireland U21s have a penalty in that game which was saved

Dont think that one can be considered competitive.

Fair enough if it was listed to be shown by faí they should show it on open channel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 775 ✭✭✭RonanG86

Funny thing is my recollection is that in his first two games, Trap had us knock the ball about a bit. Not in a 'create loads of chances way', but more in a keep it and slow the tempo down cos they can't score without the ball way. Opposition wasn't great (Georgia was one of them), but I think the main reason he dropped it is because the only midfielder he trusted to play with the ball was Steven Reid, who never started another game after these two for Trap because of injuries.

The MON reign went downhill when we stopped making any attempt to play football. Obviously we always turtled up against the likes of Germany which is perfectly sensible, but we were initially more purposeful against the likes of Georgia and Bosnia & Herz than we had been under Trap, or subsequently under Mick. Then in the middle of his 2nd campaign, when I think we topped the group after drawing away to Serbia and beating Austria (imagine that now), we tried to play for a 1-0 away to Georgia and of course they equalised. Never recovered from that. Became way more negative and tossed away results, culminating in the Denmark debacle where tried to play 45 minutes of international football with only Hendrick as a center mid and failed to tie down Rice with a competitive cap.

Mick part II - Apart from Connolly, a lot of the guys Mick brought in, either uncapped or who only got a handful from MON, were at least in their mid 20s - likes of Doherty, Hourihane, Collins, Scott Hogan etc. He played Parrott in a friendly too, but didn't touch him for competitive. Not exactly sure who else he blooded gradually. Kinda illustrates the problem we have.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭Tchaikovsky

It's like watching a stream of a LOI game: no replays, and the camera might as well be in the field behind the stand.

Bookies will show anything these days.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

To be fair to Mick, there was absolutely no incentive for him to try and bring in new young players as he knew he was contracted for a single campaign only with no scope to get a new contract. It was pointless in him developing new players. Mick was great at bringing players through in his original stint for Ireland.

Kenny's reign of terror so far on one page

It was needed too later day Jack panicked and reverted to old fellas too often.

Mick was a good manager and O'Neill even better and I think it would be crazy to pretend Kenny is at that level but sadly there isn't anyone I can see at their level to do the job right now

Post edited by breezy1985 on

1-0 up over in Luxembourg. Colm Whelan scored more or less straight away after being brought on for Ferguson.

Go onto social media pages of teams when they're posting updates and the amount of times I've seen lads from African, Asia, and eastern europe given it dogs abuse cause they lost is gas.

And conceded late. No stats available on Livescore bar corners but it was 7 corners to 1 so sounds like they've thrown this away.

2mins to get a winner.

Qualification dead if they dont. Cant be dropping points to the team -10 goals and on 0 points after 3 games and finish top two.

Whatever about their senior team, they should he whipping boys at any one off age level given their size.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Mervyn Skidmore

Poor result from the U-21s. Luxembourg a bogie team.

• Advertisement

Yeah gave away a penalty. From watching since Crawford took over and it's like Kenny's senior games during the nation's league. They only have a plan A and pass for the sake of passing at times and struggle to break teams down with the CF often isolated by himself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,279 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

How are we only drawing with minnows like this at u21 😠 #KENNYOUT

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭tastyt

Kenny really made a rod for his own back with some of his arrogant comments from the start

Many ex players and managers are having a good laugh at him now after he stated that he would have Ireland play in a way we never played before , have us pass the ball and try to be constructive

For someone coming from his background and with his experience it was an awful stupid thing to say and very insulting to some of the legendary players we have had and some managers we have had that have had huge success in the game compared to Kenny .

A really stupid move

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,121 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Just listened to Ken early on the second captain podcast, was pretty embarrassing for Ken absolutely deluded.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,450 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

How dare he try and be positive and confident in his own vision and the potential of the team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,796 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Dara O Shea requires surgery and will be out for 4-6 months.

Disaster.

**** sake, and he was having a good start to the season with West Brom an all.

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭Zico !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,850 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Portugal not struggling one bit against Azerbaijan

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement