Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General gaming discussion

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,279 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

So the FF pixel remasters are almost great... almost. They're a lesson in getting all the little details right and then **** up the bare minimum.

The pixel art looks great. They run really well with the cut to battle being faster than even the suikoden games which makes them a joy to play and lessens the frustration of random battles.

And the music... the music is *little chefs kiss* good. They re-orchestrated it all and it sounds incredible.

And then they make the game run at 77 fps so it headache inducingly stutters when the screen scrolls.

Apparently this is an issue with some badly coded unity games but how in the name of bejaysus did they **** that up.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭Cordell

I can trade a PS4 and Xbox One for that 3080 and you'll be set with plenty of 30fps games! They can also do the cinematic experience of 24!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,600 ✭✭✭quokula

Already got the consoles, and use them far more than the PC for gaming. When I bought it I thought I'd use it more given that I've got gamepass but the launcher is a pain and just trying to actually install games can be a miserable experience at times, then you have stuff like Flight Simulator that's a buggy mess when you get in. Far superior experience on Xbox tbh. My PC is now reserved for work (WFH allowed me to justify splashing out on top of the range hardware) and stuff that's best played with mouse and keyboard. It'll get a bit of a run out when the new Age of Empires comes out no doubt.

As for graphics, I've yet to find a game that utilises the horsepower and has more wow factor than Naughty Dog or Insomniac's finest on console, no level of framerate or resolution can make up for artistry and production values.

Framerate alone will not make a good game out of a bad one, but it will make a good game more enjoyable. Of course, this is true for some games more than for others.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,279 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The recent PS4 generation at least gave us rock solid 30 FPS games which makes a massive difference compared to unstable 30 FPS games we got at the start of the generation and throughout the PS360 gen. Stable 30 is definitely playable but once you play the same game at 60 it's really horrible going back to 30. Going back to unstable 30 is absolutely miserable.... I'm playing some PS3 games at the moment. It ain't good.

• Advertisement

I'd say that stable 30 is better than unstable 45-60.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

60 FPS or higher is always best, but I can live with 30 if it's stable. It's also near impossible to go from 60 FPS to 30 FPS.

Last of Us Part II is a good example: absolutely rock solid 30 throughout on PS4, absolutely no issue whatsoever playing through it. Now that I've tried it in 60 FPS going back will make it feel weird and janky.

If a game is only available at 30 FPS, I'll play through without complaints if it's stable. But hopefully the extra power in new-gen consoles means we'll see 60 FPS options at least as a standard. That could change as the gen progresses and games become more demanding, but really does seem more and more devs are committed to giving options at least. And Insomniac is working miracles with their 60 FPS ray-tracing modes.

Yes, 60 is going to be the new standard.

But, and correct me if I'm wrong, aren't teens going more into PC gaming these days? Should we expect a surge in popularity?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

I honestly can not tell the difference and I'm a PC gamer for years and console as well. I had a Xbox 360, Xbox One, One X and now a Series X. But it may be because I game at 4k on PC and also did on the One X and Series X. But I haven't played a old game on console for a fair few years unless it was on Xbox backwards compatibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,603 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I can tell the difference between 30fps and 60. But I got a new pc and gaming monitor, tried a game in 120 and couldn't tell the difference between it and 60. Diminishing returns I think. I'm sure it might help regards precision shooting in games or something, but visually it didn't seem worth it to me.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 53,750 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Ah there is definitely a noticeable difference in what you can achieve on a PC visually vs on a console. Obviously if you are comparing a 400 quid console to a 400 quid PC or even an 800 quid one there's no contest. Console will always win on value for money.

On the framerate thing, 30fps is definitely noticeable. 30fps sucks hard, it's almost unplayable to me. It's just so distracting, everything is so slow and jerky.

30 and 60 fps is very noticable to me. And even at that 60 fps can seem stuttery now that I've played high fps games.

However the most noticable thing to me going from 60 to 30 isn't how it looks bit how it feels. You are pretty much doubling input latency which was very noticable on a crt on badly made old school games that ran at 30 fps.

However with modern games with input lag from the monitor, deferred rendering engines being very popular, and other post processing effects, there really is a massive difference in how a 30 fps game plays compared to a 60 fps. 60 fps is just so much nicer and smoother.

As for teens getting into pc games, thats mostly streamer influence but you will find that most are happy enough with a laptop to play the low spec quirky games and mods streamers play. Most would t have a high spec pc and normally have a console as well.

However the most noticable thing to me going from 60 to 30 isn't how it looks bit how it feels

Yes, dropping into 40s or lower somehow makes the mouse feel heavier!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

I spent a year on Crysis at 5-20 fps, anything above that and I'm happy 😊

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I remember how bad some sections of Half Life 2 were on my family PC. The narrow railway section of City 17 was single figure territory.

But by god I pushed through, and it was still glorious.

I had a p100 when half life 1 came out. The minimum spec was a p166.

I think I got 10 fps and I beat the **** out of that game at 320x240.

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭SomeSayKos

I played 'Gris' yesterday due to me craving a short indie game and I really enjoyed it. It's short, not particularly difficult, looks stunning and has decent music (a little bit too earnest for my taste but it works in the game). I really want to get into more indie games but not really sure as to what's good at the moment (i've really fallen out of the habit of keeping up with game news for the last few months). Anyways, Gris is good!

A few recommendations from the last year or so:

The Forgotten City - excellent (if slightly janky in places) timeloop mystery set in a fantasy Roman city. Some fun and imaginative game design on display.

Wildermyth (PC only at the mo) - brilliant tactical RPG with a uniquely deep and sprawling take on procedural storytelling.

Mini Motorways - charming, fun sequel to Mini Metro.

Mundaun - weird but fascinating horror oddity. Rough around the edges but quite the mood piece with a hell of a setting.

Spiritfarer - lovely looking and sounding game with a cool ship / town building mechanic at its centre. Could have done with a bit of editing IMO, but lots to love as well.

Boomerang X - super fast and responsive take on an old school shooter with a novel and thrilling twist: your boomerang is both your weapon and way of propelling yourself around the world at speed. Go with PC over Switch if possible tho, as this demands as high a frame rate as you can push!

Loop Hero - crack cocaine, but I mean that as a compliment.

Overboard - supremely witty and sharp little 'getting away with murder' sim.

A Monster's Expedition - god-tier puzzle game. Just out on Switch after its PC release last year.

I've heard very good things about Chicory but haven't gotten around to it yet. A few promising weeks ahead too, with Sable and Jett: The Far Shore on the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭SomeSayKos

Thanks for that, much appreciated!

Only took 12 years, but finally managed to go back and get the "Little Rocket Man" achievement on HL2: Episode 2 😃

#

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Wow all that for 30G. I can see why you waited 12 years.

I gave my copy out as a loan to a friend, whose house was burgled back in 2010 and lost all of his stuff. Never bothered picking up another copy until recently when I saw it for a fiver on ebay, and it all came back to me. Most satisfying 30G ever.

The Artful Escape hadn't really made much of an impact on me from the clips / screenshots I've seen. But it's a new Annapurna game (developed by Beethoven and Dinosaur) on Game Pass so of course had to check it out.

My initial impression is, honestly, 'holy ****'. Trust me when I say any kind of video compression basically ruins this game's visuals: in action, this is mesmerising and vivid quite unlike anything I've played. I mean, I thought Psychonauts 2 was a glorious explosion of colour (and it absolutely is), but to extend that metaphor this is basically a supernova of colour. Really, really can't understate how much better this looks at a higher resolution and a good frame rate. I also think short trailer clips also don't even come close to capturing how individual scenes burst with colour and emphasise the spectacle in long, flowing gameplay segments. I'm honestly inclined to say this is one of the best looking games I've ever played, and I did not for a second think that's what I was going to get when I booted it up.

The music / sound mixing is suitably booming and epic. The gameplay is honestly fairly meh and straightforward - hold right to run; hold x to shred your guitar (you want to be doing this all the time); jump occasionally. There's also some simple battles which just require you to copy the note / button patterns your opponent tells you. Honestly, it's disappointing there's not much rhythm action in this game about guitars and music. But really you're here for the trip: the gameplay may be frankly uninspiring, but everything around it is quite the opposite. Seriously impressed by this weird and wonderful thing.

Also, after the underwhelming star performances in 12 Minutes, this uses a relatively big-name cast to much, much better effect. It's also very well written - I mean, some of its themes are less than subtle, but this is a game where you drift down a mounting shredding your guitar while giant flying whales with multi-coloured neon cities on their backs drift by in the background. Subtlety is not this game's thing, and it's all the better for it. Embrace the goofy, psychedelic spectacle of the thing - it's really quite something if met on those terms.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,809 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Another game i really wanted to play on launch, 2 AI games in a row straight to xbox :( At least I have Outer Wilds dlc at the end of the month.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Is there a way to block people by forum? Your posts usually end up costing me money! 😁

I’ll just directly @ you instead ;)

But I definitely do recommend Game Pass for PC at this stage. The Xbox app is still a bit **** TBH, but GP makes it far easier to give a bunch of games you mightn’t have tried otherwise a whirl. I don’t know if I’d have actually bought Artful Escape based on what I’d seen, but when it’s just there ready to download on release day it’s easy to give something a try.

It’s nice to be pleasantly surprised by something like this… but also nice when you realise you didn’t waste money on shite like 12 Minutes 😅

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Have added The Artful Escape to the Steam wishlist, my gaming schedule is too random to be paying another monthly sub tbh. Already paying for 2 monthly gamepasses for the sons Xboxes and actually tried using one of their gamepass accounts on my pc - but yeah, the app was garbage so I just stick to Steam/cdkeys etc. I'm usually late to the party so any duff games are identified long before I get a chance to waste money on them thankfully.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,323 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

That looks like one of those games I absolutely love the look of, am hyped that it even exists ... ... but know I have absolutely no intention of ever actually playing. Just isn't my jam in terms of gaming downtime, but 100% salute the fact it exists. Similar to something like Sayonara Wild Hearts; love the soundtrack, the actual game I'll never play :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

If they have to give us 1080p/1440p 60 fps modes later in the gen, then I will be fine with that and I am sure a lot of people will be as well.

• Advertisement

If it's not your jam, it's not your jam... but I'd definitely recommend playing Sayonara Wild Hearts to pretty much everyone. That thing is a wonder with a controller in hand. As mentioned above, the Artful Escape's gameplay is just kinda there, not really getting in the way of the main event (the light show). But Sayonara is the total package - levels perfectly polished in time with the music and (simple but satisfying) interactions. It really and truly is one of the absolute best 1-2 hour games out there.

Advertisement