Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Price increases.

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭macadam

its a risky business now supplying materials..

Spoke with the owner of a hardware store yesterday, he said steel and timber is being quoted on a daily basis only. prices are increasing by the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 realflash17

Building a home in Co Wexford at the moment.

Not surprisingly we have been hit with big price increases on wood and steel, and we are expecting 5-10% increases on fascia and soffit and Windows based on discussions with the suppliers. Neither the contractor or ourselves coming out well financially on this.

A month ago both the electrician and plumber were confident they could still meet their original quotation.

I called the electrician to give him a date to start the work and he told me that the price of wiring has gone up 3,000 on the build everything else remains the same. The previous increases were expected as they were well documented but the wiring is a new one to me.

Just curious if there are others out there seeing the same in the electric area? Part of me wonders if the electricians are just covering themselves as they are seeing at least a 10% increase on other materials in the build and do not want to get caught too late.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭billy_beckham

Just wondering what things are like in the construction material world at the moment?

Any sign of the shortages easing?

What's the price of stuff doing? Still rising or stabilising?

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭Stan27

I was about to ask exact same question. I was planning to start building in Q4 this year but thinking of leaving it for a while now.

Actually half thinking of renting for a year, and building then, hopefully the prices will drop and work out the same.

• Advertisement

Timber expected to increase another 20% before year end. Cardboard now also at an all time high, pushing up rices on everything boxed.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 realflash17

It looks like the price of wood is decreasing in the US at least at a fairly rapid rate, 40% drop compared with January prices which is a massive swing from 90% up.

source : cnbc

It usually has an impact here I wonder will the prices drop as quick as they rose.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,149 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Pricing a project at home, €50 for a sheet of bog standard 18mm MDF I was quoted in a few places. Plywood was gone up even more. Mental

Hopefully this continues........

• Registered Users Posts: 4,936 ✭✭✭enricoh

A mate works for roadstone and they are inundated with calls from the UK for cement.

I know a couple of lads who have moved over to the UK to work on sites, huge money over there at the minute. Word won't be long filtering around so I'd expect labour to get even scarcer next year.

Getting a quote will be an achievement next year!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Jackben75

rubbish, a sharp decline in prices are expected. The urge to renovate during the covid crisis is already decreasing. Materials are also being sourced outside of the UK now and the population are for th emost part heading back to work wherever that may be, which will also scrap many plans for renovation and home offices, particularly garden rooms too. Expect a slowdown, many builders have booked jobs up until at least the first half of 2021. i would expect prices to fall after this. Patience will be rewarded!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,936 ✭✭✭enricoh

We'll see how rubbish it is, materials prices are still increasing. Transport costs rising big time too.

Dunno the age profile in construction but most of the lads I know at it are closer to the pension and young lads are only going plumbing or sparking.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 laraine94

We started applying for planning permission last year. We were quoted €180 per sq meter. Now planning permission granted we have been quoted €280 per sq meter. We can’t afford to build now.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,844 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

If you think prices will sharply decline then you are living in cuckoo land!! Suppliers are putting up prices almost monthly now and there's not a hope in hell they are going down sharply in the future.

In a similar position 😥 Hoping it can't last!!

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Paul_Mc1988

Do you mean €1800- €2800 per square meter?

Advertisement