Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vaccine Megathread No 2 - Read OP before posting

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31,084 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

It makes no sense for vaccine hesitancy to be correlated with age.

The obvious thing that's correlated with age is risk.

Consequently I theorise that the only thing stopping the remaining 17% of 18-29 year olds from getting vaccinated is that they can't be arsed because they're not scared of Covid, and I suspect that they are equally not scared of the vaccine.

It's a little disappointing.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,652 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Is it really that disappointing? Its quite logical for that age group to not be particularly scared of the virus.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,698 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

It also means that the real anti-vaxxers are less than 1% of the population in Ireland.

In the US it looks about 1/10:

U.S. COVID-19 vaccine tracker: See your state’s progress - Mayo Clinic

I'm not disappointed at their lack of fear, I'm disappointed that they can't spare a couple of hours to get vaccinated to give us a better chance of suppressing infection.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭zebastein

That is called a balance of risk and that makes sense:

• There is a risk of issue when taking the vaccine (myocarditis, Guillain Barre syndrome..) and it is very low, more or less constant across the age groups.
    • There is a risk catching the virus and it is correlated with age.

So at some point, and this is very personal, some people reckon that the risk of the vaccine is equal or higher than the risk of the virus and they don't take the vaccine. In Ireland most of the people think that the risk of the vaccine is super low, proved by science and that everybody should take the vaccine, but risk assessment is personal.

Why is there more hesitancy in France for example? It is not that they are more lazy, it is because there have been a number of issues/scandals/trials with some drugs that shifted the perception of people and their risk assessment.

Should people really be scared and why? Let's not forget that at the beginning of the COVID in 2020, it was largely accepted in the society that most of the people would not be at high risk of severe forms and death, and that the restrictions were to protect the vulnerable people, until a better protection exists. "We are in this together" and all this. In Ireland for a reason the messaging has shifted towards "everyone is at risk, you should all be scared" and then "if you are not scared, a bit of blackmailing: you'll get no fun/pint/restaurant if you don't get the vaccine". But did the virus really change that much since march 2020?

How many people in the 18/29yo group with no underlying restriction will have a severe form ? If vulnerable people are vaccinated and vaccines work, what is the interest to have all the 18-29 yo vaccinated ? To stop transmission or to protect the people who can't get a vaccine ? To release pressure on a healthcare system that had 700 people on trolleys precovid ? Then we should all get a flu jabs every year, and we don't because it is accepted that as long as vulnerable people have a way to protect themselves, it is grand.

Note that I am not antivax, I have happily taken the vaccine and I am pushing for people to take it if they can and want. But please let's stop the shaming and talking as if it would change the face of the world if there is there is 50k more or 50k less young people vaccinated.

• Advertisement

I'm not shaming anyone, I'm just saying I'm disappointed.

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭darconio

They should really make it mandatory, shouldn't they? If the "vaccine" is the only way out, if the "vaccine" the only effective way to suppress a deadly pandemic and is 100% safe why they don't make it mandatory instead of coercing people into it, with the release of a green pass and placing the responsibility and the possible consequences on the public?

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭godzilla1989

I’m delighted to see the young healthy people are disappointing you

The disease is endemic, no suppressing it now, have to live with it

You‘ll be very disappointed going forward when young people stop going for top up boosters

This is as good as it gets it now, time to accept it

Vaccines will wane faster than people get vaccinated

• Registered Users Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

Whether or not Covid is endemic, more vaccination will still moderate it's impact. It does not follow that a third Biotech vaccine will wane at the same rate as the second shot and there are multiple other vaccines under development.

Most young healthy people do have respect for others and do not wish to give them Covid, they aren't all Më Fëiners.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,068 ✭✭✭timmyntc

If studies are to be believed that natural immunity is up to 13x more effective at preventing repeat infection than vaccination, then it would make more sense for the young low risk population to not get vaccinated.

Do you have any proof that a 3rd dose would wane any slower than dose 2?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭nakom

Can I ask you why do you think getting people vaccinated will give us a better change of suppressing the virus?

Data from yesterday showed that Ireland was the second (after Malta) country in Europe as vaccines uptake.

At the same time it was the one with the worst 14 days infection rate (in Europe).

I don't think vaccines are very helpful in reducing the spread of the virus, not with the Delta variant anyway.

@nakom wrote

Can I ask you why do you think getting people vaccinated will give us a better change of suppressing the virus?

Because vaccination reduces the chance of infection.

Data from yesterday showed that Ireland was the second (after Malta) country in Europe as vaccines uptake. At the same time it was the one with the worst 14 days infection rate (in Europe).

It is extremely difficult to infer the transmisison impact of vaccination with such a superficial comparison, as there are other important effects (demographics, housing, risk compensation, timing of waves).

I can cherry pick other data to support vaccination. For instance Monahan (82% adult vaccine uptake) has four times the case rate of Wexford (96% adult vaccine uptake). Does that prove that vaccination reduces transmission? Maybe, I don't know.

Because vaccination reduces the chance of infection.

I guess you're referring to the study that says that vaccinated spread the same amount but for a shorter time.

At the same time a vaccinated person has probably more contacts in closed spaces. If you add that these persons will most likely have less symptoms than unvaccinated ones, it's fair to think that they might spread the same or more. This probably explains why the rate of infection in Ireland is so high.

@nakom wrote

I guess you're referring to the study that says that vaccinated spread the same amount but for a shorter time.

No, I wasn't, but that's an additional factor in people who are confirmed cases. I'm talking about the reduction in risk of becoming a confirmed case in the first place.

At the same time a vaccinated person has probably more contacts in closed spaces.

Yes, risk compensation is always an issue. But the other way to look at it is that even if the number of cases is the same as during previous waves, we have greater freedom and less chance of hospitalisation. So it's all good.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Normally to slow growth of the virus we have to curb social interactions. This time we've increased them considerably. Yet, infections and hopefully in a few weeks serious illness, may actually have plateaued.

That's the effect of the vaccines.

This idea they don't make a substantial difference is rubbish.

That's a bit like saying people who don't wear seatbelts drive safer (using our favourite analogy that some people don't understand!).

The goal is to drop all restrictions, which means people in close contact more often, the way to allow that is for everyone to be vaccinated. If the unvaccinated keep themselves away, great, but it's a pretty sh*tty existence.

That's a bit like saying people who don't wear seatbelts drive safer (using our favourite analogy that some people don't understand!).

it depends, if you're sitting on your driveway without a seatbelt you're safer than driving on a motorway using it but I don't understand the reference. I think we both agree that being vaccinated is safer than being unvaccinated. My point was more on infection/transmission to suppress the virus, not about hospitalization/freedoms/etc...

Lumen correctly pointed out that vaccine reduce infection and transmission. It is just not corroborated by one of the worse (the worst?) infection rates in Europe despite the high level of vaccines uptake here in Ireland. But then it might just be a temporary thing. Hopefully the levels will go down soon

That's the problem with using a metric like "worst in Europe", compare the current R number and case rates to December pre-vaccination and the difference is easily seen despite much more being open. The same can be done for the European countries by comparison.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,068 ✭✭✭timmyntc

But as you mentioned before - close contacts and risk taken have changed drastically between now and December. December was Christmas season, house visits, big meals, parties galore. Now its the end of summer, people meeting mostly outdoors in the good weather etc.

When it comes to December 21, then we can find out the impact of vaccines on transmission at a population level. But right now, human behaviour in the summer/early autumn is totally different to mid winter. The two are not comparable.

where can I find the R number stats? Is there a website that provide statistical information about it?

• Advertisement

People are indoors at pubs, going to sporting events, schools back, colleges back, we're much more open now then we were last December after emerging from a 6 week lockdown and the R number is stable at 0.9 - 1.1, in December, cases shot through the roof and then our death count also increased rapidly, everything is different for the better now, the reason is vaccines.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭Skygord

Boosters announced for care homes and over 80's.

Can't believe they are not including the immunocompromised in Cohort 4.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Those two groups are the highest risk of all and we don't look like we are just going to hand them out. The over 70s would be ahead of Group 4 anyway.

Heavily immunocompromised aren't getting boosters. They're getting an additional dose. Their initial dosing was sub optimal.

They may get boosters at a later date.

People getting boosters are anticipated to have had a good response to the vaccine. The response has waned. People immunocompromised may not have had a sufficient response to begin with.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,845 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

That's a good way to explain the difference, a 3rd dose is not a booster! I'm not sure why NIAC haven't included them and removed the 6 month gap. There was a rush to get everyone double jab, so it would make sence to offer immunocompromised people a third jab as a matter of urgency.

I believe Spain have approved a 'booster' for the immunocompromised (I think that's the only group it's approved for)

If the Pfizer pill works and i'm sure it will, we will know before new year

Young healthy people won't need a vaccine anymore, they'll pop a pill like uniflu when they start showing symptoms and game over

Covid vaccines will hopefully go the way of flu vaccines and only taken by a minority and vaccine passes scraped worldwide

My hope anyway

Vaccinating and coercing people into taking one can't go on long term

Pills like this are the way forward

Vaccine is always better than a treatment pill imo. Pill requires you to know you have the condition. Usually by that stage you're symptomatic and irreversible damage may already be done.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭Skygord

Not sure I understand. My OH is in cohort 4 with two separate lifelong conditions that make her immunocompromised (one is no spleen). Donnelly's announcement make no mention of such people - whether you call them "boosters" or something else.

I thought with the plentiful supplies we now have, we'd pick up those that are highly likely to have had a sub optimal immune response to their 1st two doses.

• Advertisement

The old people will keep getting the vaccine, this pill could be used by the less vulnerable, under 35's

How much damage could be done once you have had the sniffles and a headache as an under 35? This pill supposedly works very quickly to cut down inflammation, it can't be that big a risk?

Considering we've had 110,000 cases and 225 deaths since May, Covid ain't causing much damage and that's 110,000 mostly unvaccinated cases as well

A 0.2% death rate similar, to seasonal influenza

Advertisement