Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Domestic Solar PV Quotes 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭garo

This would be a good system. I would prefer this to the 12 panel system you have been quoted for. But realistically you shouldn't pay a cent over 8k after grant for this. So the quote is at least 5k too high. Probably 6k too high.

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭peustace

I’ve asked for a number of quotes from different companies (It’s amazing the spread of prices for relatively similar systems)

In general the following seem to be the most popular brands offered for PV panels, inverters and batteries. The huawei battery and inverter seemed to make systems dearer - is it worth it?

Is there any brand here you’d advise staying away from / investing in?

Solar Panels

Q Cell

Jinko

Longi

Sun tech Ultra V

Batteries

Pure Drive

Triple Power

Huawai

Sonnen

Inverters

Solis Inverter

Huawai

Solax

• Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭MAULBROOK

I'm using a Solis inverter (widely used, no issues)

BYD battery (widely used and no issues)

Panels, can't remember and I don't really care. They work and that is all that matters.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭bullit_dodger

Had this written before I refreshed the page. +1 on MAULBOOK says.

Can't speak about the batteries or inverters as I didn't research them in too much detail nor do I have 1st hand experience, but as far as I know panels are much to a muchness really. Longi and Q Cell probably have a slightly better life and reputation, but really I think you can't go wrong with most of them. Manufacturers offer guarantees of 80-85% production after 20 years or so. Different brands may have slight different performance (single digit percent...if even), but then you can offset that and get the same production by installing an additional cheaper panel, than fewer more expensive one, so I probably wouldn't worry about it too much. In 15-20 years anyway I expect performance to be in the 25%-30% range over the 20-22% efficency they have today anyway - but that's too far down the road to worry about now.

I think panel wise the only advice that I (and probably everyone on this forum) can give, is get as many as your can. If you think you need 3kwp, I'd chuck on a least an extra 2-3 panels if you have the space on your roof and future proof yourself a little. It's cheaper to install a few extra now than it is to get another install in a year as the fixed cost of arranging fitter to come out and go onto your roof a second time. Electric vehicles are the future. I think Ireland has a desire to stop all internal combustion new vehicle sales by 2030 and your power requirements in 5-10 years will probably be a lot different from today - so yeah, a few extra panels won't go astray.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 RingSting

Do you think the optimizers made a difference ?

• Advertisement

They can do , if you have shading on the panels. Remember that the panels will behave in some respects as a single unit. So if you half cover a panel (say a chimney casts a shadow), then the production of the whole array is reduced even though only 1 panel might be shaded. It's to do with the internal resistance changing on that panel, but someone more knowledgable than I can clarify if needed.

Optimizers allow each panel (or sometimes people pair two panels onto one optimizer) to work in isolation. So yeah, if you have shading issues, trees, chimney stack you might want to investigate further, but if you've an unobstructed view of the sun don't think you need them.

Absolutely but remember not everywhere needs them.

It took a while to figure out they would help.

Thanks,

I dont think my setup (currently in dreamland) will get much shade if any so I doubt it would be worth it.

Mine was in dreamland 6 weeks ago, and should be going live this week.

Even a small'ish system will yield nice 10-15% return on investment, and you have the satisfaction that it's doing the right thing to reduce your carbon footprint.

Ha,

I've been dreaming a while but just finishing up a few other jobs including doubling my hot water storage with a new stainless tank .

I'd be happy if I can keep the water ticking over via an eddie and look at a battery shortly down the line.

• Advertisement

Only invest after a time with the system. Learn how to use it and then make changes if necessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,735 ✭✭✭yankinlk

Going with option A version 2. (The Enniskillen provider highly recommended here.)

Added 2 panels and dropped the Eddi.

TBH if other providers are watching - the reason i picked him was no-nonsense - highly regarded and he explained i would not get the "payback" on the extra panels (i was thinking that from reading this thread but confirmed). We also agreed the Eddi was a waste since i burn oil only - no "immersion" at the moment. I could always add that later in a future retrofit... but my oil burner is only 10 years old and in great nick - very well maintained.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Good development with the eddi. I didn't get one from the SAAS crowd. Can retrofit if needed once I get the immersion wired in.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,135 ✭✭✭championc

Regarding optimizers

I don't think so really when the sun hits them, but put as much as a tennis ball in front of one panel in a string, and the whole output right across the string is kyboshed.

So if you have any shading on any panel, either get a micro-inverter or an optimizer for it

Jesus what a day.

I've been a bold boy. I requested a quote from the active solar company. 😂.

What can I say? I was bored 😁

Will do. Probably go no higher than what I have 3.24kw

If you get them to quote a battery, guessing 14k after grant.

Robbing costs.

Anyone else want to pitch in a guess 🤔

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,328 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

When I had a ‘salesman’ out last week, he said I’d need to have a smart meter installed in order to get Solar PV…….

I guess for the FIT when it comes you’d probably need a smart meter, but if just installing a system with battery, and thus potentially not feeding into the grid, do you really need to get a smart meter?

currently have a Day/night meter and wish to keep it, potentially charging the battery at night in winter to use during the day when it gets dark at 4pm and there wasn’t enough excess PV to charge the battery.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭Gerard93

Hi

Would appreciate any recommendations for an installers covering Limerick area that have been found good.

I tried Energia’s partner as listed on their website promised to quote etc but never did even after a number of phone calls

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭idc

I know a family locally who were very happy with the install from that company, but don't know how much they paid!! I also asked about a quote but when the compnay said my wife must be there for the sales pitch I told them to forget it!!

You do NOT need a smart meter. Keep your day/night meter. I charge at night rate 4 months of the year. And stay away from that salesman.

Oh I’m already done with them…. They want €10k for a 3kW system with 2.4kWh battery.

the crowd in Enniskillen will give me 4kW & 4.8kWh battery for the same price…

(and that crowd wanted €13k for what Enniskillen will give me for €10k)

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭toushea

Would appreciate if anyone could pm me the name of a Saas solar installer ( if there is one aside from the main supplier discussed here.

BTW - that sounds high for "the crowd in Enniskillen" .....

we should come up with an "in house" name for them that doesn't break the naming of business forum rule. :-)

Have the actual quote now from Enniskillen;

14 JA Solar 340W panels giving me a 4.7kW system

6kW Solis hybrid invertor

5kWh Puredrive battery

Eddie Water diverter

€10,500

but here's the catch... they'll discount me the grant up front, so I'll only pay them €7,500 total, and when applying for the grant, I just put in their bank details, so they'll get the grant back from SEAI in however many weeks it takes!! and I'm not waiting a couple of weeks to get the grant money back, and thus not paying the full €10,500 up front...

They'll also bring an extra 3 panels along with them in the event they can put them up somewhere to increase the overall size of the system. (I do have a west facing kitchenette extension that would fit 2 panels on, so depending on how the lads get on on the day, I could be up to a 5.78kW system!!).

I want to put together a list of companies from each province, that have been recommended here.

As a lot of people know at this stage I have my supplier that I'm happy to promote for the Leinster area.

ONLY PMs Please, send on a few company's from other provinces. I think Ulster is covered tbf.

This might help some looking for a supplier in Connacht and Munster.

• Advertisement

It can take more than two weeks to get the grant. Also if you get selected for an SEAI inspection and something needs to be rectified its not your headache anymore. I would much prefer paying the net amount than the full amount and get the grant. Would be worth a few hundred bucks to me.

Post edited by garo on

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement