Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BANDSCAN THREAD

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭kazoo106

They must read boards !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭KildareP

East Coast having audio problems on 99.9 this evening while iRadio was on blank carrier for the guts of half on hour on all frequencies within range of Kildare.

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭Dipole Keith

Is it just me or is KFM’s 97.6 (Saggart) audio on the low side compared to other stations, I find myself turning it up when I tune to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,900 ✭✭✭JDxtra

You are right, it's absolutely awful. The modulation levels on 97.6 are way too low looking at the measurements here, I mean there's playing it safe and then there's KFM!

Some speech based program on right now and there's also a massive hum from the audio.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭Mr. MooYagi

What’s happening out there today fellas ?

• Advertisement

Not much.

B̶e̶a̶c̶h̶ ̶1̶0̶5̶7̶, ̶V̶a̶u̶l̶t̶ ̶1̶0̶5̶7̶ Star 1057 on around Carrickmines.

Ice Radio on 99.3. RetroNow on 105.2.

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭TheBMG

Some good FM conditions out there today (Clyde on 102.5, Westsound on 103.0) being the two big surprises.

This did have consequences as BBC Radio 4 successfully replaced Phoenix FM on 92.5 and pirate station Retro 92 found their selection of 70s cheese being abruptly cancelled by the far more cultured BBC Radio 3 on the same frequency!

RX site for all of this was Clonskeagh, Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,064 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

Further to above posts, I could pick up Star1057 and Retro FM on 92.0FM and also Energy Power AM on 1395kh MW.

Edit: Energy Power was also on 99.5 FM this evening. It has a similar problem to Retro FM with a British station coming in on it. Earlier on, I could make out the British station - Radio 1 I think.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,404 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Friday night in Cork Harbour there was excellent FM conditions. Aside from the usual Welsh and Cornwall/Devon signals there was quite a few from North/West France and North Spain.

Unusual visitors from the UK were Classic FM on 100.9 and Radio 1 on 98.8 from Wrotham in Kent, and Greatest Hits Radio on 105.8 from Crystal Palace in London.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭cor

1494AM playing old recordings of Sunshine and Energy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭StreetLight

The FreeDAB multiplex in Dublin has shifted from Block 5C to 5D with the number of stations increasing to 17.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭tinytobe

On which frequencies did you pick up signals from Spain?

I personally have picked up 106.1 often when I was in the south of England. Quite possible it was Monte Higa in Spain?

However the signal was often fading in and out and reception was more temporary than permanent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭galtee boy

Can anyone explain this one for me ? This morning I did a scan on medium wave in my work van and it stopped on 1620khz and on came BBC Radio 4, in excellent quality, I wouldn't call it fm quality, but a thousand times better than R4 on 198LW. Then I discovered that one press of the scan forward button gave me RTE Radio 1, still on 1620khz ! And excellent sound quality also. So I could toggle back and forth between the two of them using forward scan or back scan buttons on radio, but all the while staying on 1620khz. By the way, this radio can scan the medium in single khz and not just in 9khz like normal. I tried this on my own car radio, but it only scans to 1611khz. I'm puzzled ! The only thing I can think of , would it be anything to do with some kind of test for DRM ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭Antenna

I would think the radio is actually receiving these stations on FM due to some glitch of the radio whilst displaying an AM frequency on the display. Did you try turning the radio off and back on ?

There have been good long distance FM conditions recently so you might be getting BBC R4 where you normally do not.

Last night on 104.9 on a road outside Cork city I had a mixture of Classic Hits from a Galway transmitter and BBC R4 on 104.9 fading between one or the other as drove along...

there is no other sensible explanation.

You say that the R4 is less than FM quality. Modern car radio will narrow down the bandwidth with challenging reception (like being 0.1MHz away from other station/s) - this will have reduced audio quality but is is the price to be paid to actually hear the station.

I am not aware of any DRM tests in the Republic of Ireland. What I have heard is that the LW transmitter 252 may have either tested or is equipped with this kind of technology. This was more than a while ago.

I mostly associate DRM with India.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭galtee boy

Thanks for the info lads, they are there again today, rock solid. On reflection, I'm thinking is the radio somehow tuning in 198 and 252 LW , even though it doesn't have a LW option on the menu ? It's FM, MW and DAB on the menu option. I did notice severe interference when I drove or parked under electrical wires. If it is LW, its the best reception of Radio 4 on LW I've heard for a long time. Must be a great tuner in the van, it's a Ford Courier.

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Oscarziggy

I think you've hit the nail on the head by saying it's tuning Long Wave after 1620khz - the radio in my old Citroen xsara picasso does the same but it does display the frequency.

What happens if you go to the other end of the MW band around say 549khz and hit scan downwards --does it give the same result of the same stations without the frequency display?

102.5 seems to be a new home for Ice Radio. Just noted there with live broadcasts. 90s network also playing on the usual 98.4.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,064 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

It was probably a good idea for Ice Radio to move from 99.3, given that Energy Power were being relayed on 99.5 on weekends. I'm surprised that 102.5 has not been used by anybody for a while now. Anyway, why did Ice Radio not continue with 93.2 as it had been on originally? The use of 98.4 by The 90s Network is an interesting choice. I'm assuming that it is a relatively low power station, because it might otherwise have been an issue with it's proximity to 98FM and Lyric FM on either side of it on the FM band. I certainly cannot remember 98.4 being used by other Dublin pirates in this century or in the 1990s.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,119 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

I was tickled to receive said 102.5 on Wednesday, in and around the Dunshaghlin area.

Having heard their programming, I was delighted that it was a weak signal and promptlywent back to listening to Lyric FM.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭castle2012

I was in cork recently and the DAB service is excellent. Unfortunately the Dublin one is patchy which puts people off listening in their cars.

A suggestion to the providers, Could they not use the mountains RTE used to use for DAB?

The RTE service was picked up in most of Leinster.

The RTE DAB was from the top of Three Rock and I doubt any unlicensed operator will get access to any of those sites.

As for more unofficial sites? I believe Comreg have been quite active recently reminding landowners around the Dublin mountains about the perils of pirate broadcasting (plus the potential fines that may follow!).

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭ITV2

Freedab in Dublin is off-air.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,804 ✭✭✭Charles Slane

They expect to be back on air on the 12th Sept.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,404 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

BBC Radio 4 clear as a bell on 104.9 around Cork City today. Very strong signal from Haverfordwest.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,993 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Anything from the other frequencies?

I get occasional reception in Dundalk from LLanddano, Cymru, Radio 1 and Radio 4.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Llanddona_transmitting_station

Freedom FM are scheduled to officially appear on FM across Dublin, Cork, Limerick and Galway from September 18th.

Well done to the team behind Freedom, and best of luck with this fresh run on FM!

https://twitter.com/freedomfmonline/status/1434834976533585920

The other frequencies are all co-channel with local Cork stations (89.3/91.5/93.7/98.9 are cochannel with RTE from Spur Hill, 102.5 is cochannel with C103 on 102.6 and 95.9 gets splattered from 96FM on 95.8).

Once you get away from the city and the splatter from Crosshaven, the North Hessary Tor signals have been clear around much of the county and parts of Kerry. 92.5 the clearest of those.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭Mr. MooYagi

Evening fellas. Anything to report on this fine beautiful September evening?

• Advertisement

If they are going to broadcast from Three Rock to Dublin, I'd say they'll be using the 92.1 FM frequency.

Also I am guessing the 87,7 in Cork ?

Advertisement