Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Murder at the Cottage | Sky

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭DivilsAdvocate

But it's not an assumption, he literally says he had it verified multiple times that Sophie would go outside if there was a noise. I'm not sure what your point is regarding seeing and identifying, it's not a hard thing to imagine. Making a noise and someone coming outside, I'd imagine it's a pretty well used technique for shootings and hits etc. It's not exactly Unabomber levels of sophistication.

Isn't it pretty much the same technique Ian Bailey would have applied if he's the killer? Knock on the door or make noise and wait for her to come out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭MoonUnit75

1. The gardai had 17 official complaints made by MF about IB intimidating her. Some were witnessed by Geraldine O'Brien and others in the village.
    2. IB's solicitor had sent her a legal threat by mail.
    3. MF's conversion seems to have occurred the same day she was caught driving with no insurance by gardai.
    4. A witness claimed in testimony that MF said she would benefit financially if IB won his civil case against the state.
    5. The gardai called to IB's house several times to warn IB about the complaints being made.
    6. The first statements made by MF were on the same questionnaires everyone got. Her sighting of a man in a long black coat standing across the road from where Sophie was corresponds with Ceri Williams' statement made independently. Her sighting of the man in the long black coat the next morning corresponds roughly to the location other witnesses said IB was by complete chance after a party the night before. MF could not have known other people would make these statements.

These elements led the French to conclude there was a strong case her original statements were factual and her retractions were not.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,693 ✭✭✭chooseusername

How was Bill Fuller able to confirm that Bailey and Jules left the house before noon on the morning of the murder?

Camier I understand, but I can't see how Fuller would know.

"Saffron THOMAS made a statement saying that Ian BAILEY and her mother had left in the morning as confirmed by Bill FULLER and James CAMIER

thereby confirming that Jules THOMAS was within close proximity of the crime scene at 11 am

and that between 11.30 am and 12.00 pm she told James CAMIER that Ian BAILEY was busy covering the murder of the French woman."

That's normal practice, police from one country do not normally have the power to caution people/instruct them on their rights in another country so if their statement is running into incriminating territory it would be inadmissible anyway.

Yet you think Ian Bailey should go to a country where the crime wasn't committed to clear his name. Do you not think it's a joke that France even had a trial in the first place, considering the crime was committed in Ireland.

If an Irish person was murdered in France and we tried to have a suspect on trial here for it how would the French react to that? We'd be likely told to GTFO and mind your own business.

He made a statement that he was driving, I think he was delivering christmas trees, around the Toormore area at 11am and saw JT driving down the road from Sophie's house towards Kealfadda Bridge. He said that as she drove over a bump she leaned over as if to stop something on the passenger seat from falling off. She then turned towards Goleen.

James Camier said he spoke to JT in Goleen around 11am, she bought vegetables and she told him about a murder 'on the west side'.

After arrest one of her statements apparently say she did drive past the scene at 11am and then on to Goleen.

Her daughter said they both left the house that morning for over an hour.

• Advertisement

I never said he should go over for the trial, I actually said if it was me I probably wouldn't go but would instruct my defence from here.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,332 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

But presumably her could verify it because he was there at the time. Very different thing for a woman on her own in a remote cottage, no matter how 'ballsy' she wasm generally. For a 'professional' hitman you're taking a massive chance she won't just ring the guards when she hears someone poking about outside her house.

Ah ffs, there's no point posting replies to people if they just plough on digging their furrow regardless of what you just explained to them. A couple of posters seem to have serious comprehension difficulties on this thread.

They sent her a legal letter because she was proven to be lying about intimidation. She phoned in a complaint against Bailey at the wrong time she was supposed to, and Bailey was with Frank Buttimer at the time she alleged the incident happened. More than fair to send a legal letter in that incidence.

The person who claimed MF said she was going to benefit financially was a teenager.

Marie Farrell said the man across the shop was 5 foot 8 and of sallow skin, she was then coached to say he was 5 foot 10 or 11 because IB was 6 foot 4 in height.

The person who said MF told her she would benefit financially was not a teenager, she had set up her own beauty school and MF was asking about the cost of fees for students.

MF only claimed the man was 5’8” after her conversion, likewise she only claimed the gardai coached her after she had converted. She told the gardai she didn’t know how tall he was.

My understanding is that the legal threat came after she spoke to the papers about the intimidation.

• Advertisement

She was a teenager at the time she worked for Marie Farrell.

That's not true, she said the person she saw was no taller than her husband Chris. Who was 5 foot 8. Gardai then led her towards adding a couple of more inches on and tried to round up to 5 10 or 5 11. She also got in touch with senior Guards in the country to say she was being pressured into giving evidence and they ignored her.

The legal threat came when IB could produce receipts for the time MF said he was intimidating her quite a distance away from where he actually was.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,405 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

She saw Ian Bailey and thought he was the same height as her husband... they are not even in same ballpark. Simply not credible.

She saw Ian Bailey and in all the words described him... not tall? Not big? She had never seen other people from that window before to get a relative sense? Simply not credible.

She worked on Schull main street for a year and had never noticed Bailey about before?

Its a total fabrication which is why the Guards deliberately destroyed pages in the evidence book relating to MF.

Whether Bailey committed the crime or not, I am certain MF did not see him.

As for the alleged intimidation, thats all it is. Never proven or established which is strange if it so well documented? To suggest its grounds for MF changing her testimony is without foundation.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

She was a teenager at the time she worked for Marie Farrell.

She was a little girl when she made her communion, that doesn’t change the fact that when she had the alleged conversation with MF about the civil case she was in her 20s at least.

I judge anything MF said after her conversion with skepticism for all the reasons given above, everything she said about gardai pressuring or cajoling her to say he was tall came after that.

The conversion happened when the Guards got to her even though she phoned anonymously... and she identified Bailey under their guidance. The Guards cant explain how Baileys name got into her questionnaire.

Everything MF says from the beginning should be treated with skepticism.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

So they concluded that a completely discredited witness's statements were factual.

Sounds like a fair trial alright......

• Registered Users Posts: 3,738 ✭✭✭dmc17

Even the fact that she knew to phone the first few times anonymously from phone boxes and the she 'slipped up' and phoned from her house the last time doesn't sit right with me. Wonder was that a part of the script......

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭flanna01

A few interesting scenario's posted today..

Two items not debated:

1) The Murderer: Bailey, Hitman, Knicker Sniffer, Breaking Bad Alfie, Horney Gard....Ect. Whoever committed this brutal slaying, didn't leave one scrap of evidence behind them.... Considering it was a blood bath, it's beyond comprehension that nothing of any relevance was left at the crime scene..

We assume it was a frenzied attack - More the reason to leave hair, blood, fibres after you... Yet nothing, not one iota of anything. Odd isn't it???

Was this really a professional hit?? Highly unlikely, until you realise not one incriminating piece of evidence was found...? How many blind rage killers could pull that one off??

2) The Protector(s): The murderer came home soaked in blood, make no mistake about that. When the news broke the following day of the brutal murder of a French National, somebody.. A Wife, A Mother, A Sister, A Brother knew their next of kin was missing that night, maybe helped them clean up, maybe destroyed some incriminating evidence...

Regardless - Somebody else knew, or at the very least has their suspicions.

Was this really a professional hit?? Highly unlikely, until you realise not one incriminating piece of evidence was found...? How many blind rage killers could pull that one off??

Is it much more likely that a professional hitman adopting the modus operandi of a rage killer could have managed that either. Especially one who according to most proponents of that theory in this thread was as thick as two planks.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Polly701

What about the German man who was living about a mile or from Sophie's house? I remember reading that he had previously been violent towards his partner - she left him and he was living in the house on his own. So nobody to see if he came home in bloodied clothes..

If I remember correctly he had been playing music in Crookhaven that night...maybe he went home but could not settle?? Maybe he had taken drink or drugs that night? Decided to make a trip to Alfie to buy weed? Could it have been as random an encounter?! He chanced his arm with her, she told him to get lost - he was furious and grabbed something close to hand to hurt her.. Completely lost it - possibly out of his mind on alcohol/drugs/ losing his partner through his own stupidity/being far from home and unhappy.. He might have been messing around the gate and she walked out to confront him - ask him what he was doing there? Do we know if he drove a blue Ford fiesta?!

He committed suicide early in 1997.. I believe in Germany.

Did the Guards ever interview him?? Do we know any more about him?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,459 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

The German who had had a relationship with Sophie and committed suicide in early 1997 having left a note or having told a friend he had done something terrible?

https://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/crime/sophie-toscan-du-plantier-seen-2120831

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/uk-news/who-killed-sophie-toscan-du-20938044

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭champchamp

Hang on a minute, the German guy was having an affair with Sophie and had no alibi for the night she was murdered?

He left a note saying he had done something terrible?

He lived close by?

I'm no Sherlock Holmes but surely he should be suspect number one?

"Officers have been accused of not pursuing other lines of inquiry. One man, in an extra-marital relationship with Sophie, was named in a 2001 DPP report.

The German national committed suicide. He left a note saying: “I have done something terrible.”"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,459 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

What direction from Sophie's house was Karl Heinz Wolney's house?

At a mile away, depending on the direction, there would have been either no or at most one or two houses between his and Sophie's.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

Yep. Pure attention seeker.

If you listen to the West Cork podcast she says she saw a note taped to the counter in Bandon Garda Station to keep 'Fiona' on the phone if she called back (obviously to trace the call).

Next thing she calls back from her house phone.

German police said there was no note. Stories about him after this was confirmed change it to ‘he told a (unnamed) friend’. There is no mention of him or any suggestion that he was having an affair with Sophie in the DPP report. Most accounts of his status as a suspect seem to trace back to one inaccurate article, often repeated in full.

He sounds like a better suspect than Alfie or a hitman but the stories about him appear to have grown legs over the years.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,693 ✭✭✭chooseusername

It's over half a mile to the end of the lane, so only a couple of houses in Dunmanus would be within a mile by road.

If it's as the crow flies then it's a different story, Kealfada bridge is a mile away .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭tibruit

Jules knew her partner was missing for several hours that night. If he was the killer, he didn`t necessarily have to go home covered in blood. He could have cleaned up down the road at his studio. The bonfire on the 26th was yards from the studio door.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Polly701

So the German man is Karl Wolney.. I had never heard he had an affair of any sort with her though? Perhaps more irresponsible reporting.. But was he interviewed by Guards? And could they definitely rule him out? Or were they so blinkered in their determination to prove it was Bailey that this Wolney went under the radar?

I can't find anything re: affair

The second suspect Karl Heinz Wolney came to West Cork, a mile from Sophie’s home, with his then wife from East Germany after the fall of the Berlin wall. He lived a mile from Sophie’s home. It is understood his marriage didn’t last long and the wife returned home.

He was a musician and was playing in Crookhaven on the evening that the French film producer was killed. Wolney returned home later that night. He was on his own and had no alibi.

Shortly before he committed suicide he had told a friend he had “ done a terrible thing” and couldn’t live with himself. Nevertheless he didn’t specify what this was.

A short time after Ian Bailey was arrested for the first time in February 1997 over the murder, Wolney sadly took his own life. The friend who he confessed to is now seriously ill and passed on the information to authorities.

Wolney made a statement to the gardai at the time but always denied ever seeing or knowing Sophie.

https://www.buzz.ie/news/irish-news/sophie-west-cork-murder-suspects-24364066

Well that trail seems to be stone cold. If he was the culprit I can't see how any more evidence will ever come to light.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭OwlsZat

She laces up her boots to go outside in her night dress and possibly armed herself with a hatschet on the way. There is also the unopened expensive French wine. It's more likely she went out to threaten someone to stay away or not to trespass etc., if you reckon the wine was involved then maybe she is rejecting a romancer.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement