Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fly me to the Moon - your 3rd travel Megathread - read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31 biglovin

Hi all, i am looking for a bit of advice. I am traveling from Dublin to Spain on the 19th. I am fully vaccinated but from the UK (live there) so only have the UK NHS vaccine proof (so not the EU travel vaccine). I know that Spain accept this if i am traveling from the UK but i am concerned that the airline wont accept this traveling from Dublin. I cant really get a straight answer off them when i ring so wondering if anyone has any experience of the same,

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

It's completely f*cked, look at the UK and Norway, almost getting as bad as Aus/NZ for entry ...

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Mark1916

Hi all - one of a group travelling to Italy will require an antigen test, would a text message saying it came bag negative suffice for flying purposes?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Well wouldn;t go that far !

But there is a definite regression, and with winter coming doesn't look good, I think we are in for an endless flip flop on rules .... must be on purpose to kill of aviation ...

has to be ...

• Registered Users Posts: 18,059 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Been to the UK, Spain and Portugal since travel reopened. Not once did they ask me for vaccine cert or locator form, in or out.

• Advertisement

Within the EU things are ok - for now, go outside the EU tho .... can't see it happening anytime soon ... maybe in 2023 ...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,914 ✭✭✭✭josip

We went through the Balkans (Croatia to Greece, via Serbia and Macedonia, spending multiple nights in both) in both directions over the summer.

Relatively straightforward, PLFs only required going into Greece and only needed PCR tests for Serbia because Ireland doesn't recognise Serbia's vaccinations, so they reciprocate.

Going outside the EU via the UK on the way back was a bigger hassle and expense.

Post edited by josip on

and forgot about travelling with unvaccinated kids....

shambles

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

Does Greece not require a PLF ?

We are looking at it at some point once Kids (12+) fully vaccinated.

Agree with travel within EU being ok (anecdotally) and hopefully it will stay that way. Won't be looking at travel outside the EU for the foreseeable.

Yes, you're correct. My wife filled out those so I'd disregarded them 🙂

• Advertisement

flew from Europe to the UK 2 weeks back, a lot of the EU is amber to the UK, so requires lateral flow test to fly, PLF, and pre booked PCR test to be completed 2 days after arrival...

Thank fook the CTA wasn't effected like that

Do EU vaccine certs mean anything for travel to the U.K. ?

EU cert and UK certs all treated the same... it's done on originating country

Nothing if coming from France anyway.

Nor does how long you will be there, negate the requirement to pay for a Day 2 PCR test.

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭FlubberJones

Flew to Italy two weeks ago,

Dub - Bergamo - Lamezia - no hassle just locator forms completed but never asked for. Proof of vax all good.

Lamezia - Malpensa - Dub - Again all good, no hassles, locator completed to get through Dublin but never asked for.

Have to do a day 2 test from pretty much everywhere, irrespective of vaccine status. It’s nothing more than a scam, as they can be self administered and there is no check as to whether you’ve actually done them. You just need proof, when boarding or entering the country, that you have purchased them. At £45 a pop.

The UKs attitude to travel has never been grounded in any rational or scientific basis. It’s just been about putting in place barriers, primarily cost related, to dissuade travel. No other reason for forcing the purchase of a test that does not have to actually be taken

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭gral6

The UK is still divorcing the EU , so no wonder, there are pointless barriers to travel to and from...it is only gonna get worse

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Mr rebel

Has anyone flown to Germany recently? I’m flying to Berlin in a few weeks and noticed Germany have just the west of Ireland and the border area flagged as “high risk”. I’m not from those parts but just wondering can it lead to confusion at passport control when arriving in Berlin?

Also, I’ve heard that you have to wear an actual medical grade mask in Germany and the general face coverings we have here won’t suffice. Can anyone actually confirm this?

Thanks in advance!

As regards the grade of mask, in one McDonalds we were told we had to wear N95 grade masks even though most of the staff just had surgical masks. The only scenario that actually makes sense for was if the staff were contagious and McD's were trying to protect the customers.

Everyone in the Porsche museum was wearing surgical masks.

Some people in supermarkets had the N95 ones, but not many.

German hotels was all surgical, I don' recall seeing anyone with N95.

I think the German N95 'requirement' is because 3M make a lot of those, whereas the surgical ones are probably mainly China Export.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭VG31

If you're travelling from the "West" or "Border" regions you have to register here https://www.einreiseanmeldung.de/#/ If you're vaccinated/recovered that's the only difference to travelling from a non-risk area. Otherwise you have to quarantine.

The rules vary a little by state but I don't think any states allow only FFP masks anymore , surgical should be fine. I was in NRW and everyone in the hotel was wearing surgical masks. In other places like public transport it was probably 75% surgical, 25% FFP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,513 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

I am flying home through Amsterdam this week from Vancouver, I have proof of vaccine etc, but not sure if I need a PCR test for going thought Amsterdam.

Can't find a definitive answer online as most of it assumes you are traveling to Amsterdam, but I am only passing through.

Anyone have any help?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭VG31

If you transfer/transit in the Netherlands you do not need to show a negative COVID-19 test result, proof of vaccination or proof of recovery on arrival in the Netherlands.

https://www.government.nl/topics/coronavirus-covid-19/visiting-the-netherlands-from-abroad/checklist-transit-or-short-stay

• Registered Users Posts: 11,513 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

I face palmed after that. I will drink a pint in your name.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Valhallapt

My second dose vaccine was 8 days before I fly, will I have issues entering Portugal or should I get an antigen test to be safe?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭JoChervil

I was vaccinated in May with AZ in Greystones. Back then the next dose was expected to be in September. So I went to Poland for 3 months. In the meantime I got a message I can be vaccinated earlier in Ireland. But I was not there, so I took a second dose in Poland, which was registered here as a first dose because system didn't allow to do it differently and I wanted to be safe. Polish authorities issued me with 1 dose digital certificate at once. But I have problems with Irish certificate for the first dose. I only have this small card they gave me, when I was vaccinated. I called them plenty of times in vain. They don't deal with such issue.

So my question is: will I be allowed to enter Ireland soon only having this poor Irish proof and Polish 1-dose certificate? I don't want to do Covid test, if I am fully vaccinated.

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭gral6

You'll be allowed to enter Ireland. The question is, whether airline lets you on board with that?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,242 ✭✭✭ongarite

You are not fully vaccinated until 14 days post 2nd dose so you will need to follow whatever rules Portugal has for unvaccinated travellers.

Probably PCR test taken <72 hours before you fly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Valhallapt

Thanks, I’ve been reading the Portuguese and eu pages but that just says once you have a valid DCC, which when used in a pub in Ireland is valid after 7 days. I can’t find any explicit mention of the 14 days rule, so you have a link to it?

I’ll get an antigen test just to be sure I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Candamir

Portugal doesn't seem to have published any further info about the validity of vaccine DCCs, therefore I would expect them to be going by the 'standard' EU DCC rules, which is 14 days after the last dose.

https://ec.europa.eu/info/live-work-travel-eu/coronavirus-response/safe-covid-19-vaccines-europeans/eu-digital-covid-certificate_en

"Fully vaccinated persons with the EU Digital COVID Certificate should be exempted from travel-related testing or quarantine 14 days after having received the last dose of a COVID-19 vaccine approved for the entire EU. The same is true for recovered persons with the certificate."

An antigen test within 48 hours of arrival will be fine for Portugal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭sy_flembeck

Bit of info for anyone travelling to the Costa Brava and/or Costa Dorada. The tolls have been completely removed from the AP7 since the end of last month from La Jonquera in the north to Tarragonna at the south.

We went through from Girona on 22nd August and haven't been billed yet (didn't know then that tolls were being abolished). Our card was accepted but no payment since taken. On our way back to the airport last Sunday all barriers were up and signage said drive through

In other news our trip to Catalonia was a dream. Dublin and Girona airports both ways went like clockwork. Only Sixt and Europcar operating at Girona. Campsite full for first week but large so didn't feel claustrophobic at any point. Masks, while not obligatory outside, are widely worn so I judged the crowd then followed suit each time we went anywhere. 100% compliance indoors and in shops. Clearly the Spanish have decided to live with the virus. We were in an a location familiar to us, it being our 11th visit so we noticed that even the Spanish have adapted to outdoor dining with even more roads sacrificed for this reason. Very happy we went and booked again for 2022

Post edited by sy_flembeck on

Advertisement