Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Australian Response

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,628 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Here on planet Earth, AZ is widely used in Australia.

In any case, a preference for Pfizer over AZ is hardly "vaccine hesitancy".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭Real Donald Trump

You and your fellow Australians need to realise this is an endemic that will never end, and need to learn to live with it, instead of caging people up like animals. BTW 648,000 Americans died with covid , that word is always missing, WITH

Thats why you donated AZ to Papa New Guinea, but your short on Pfzier and pleading with countries like UK for favours for Pfzier doses.

Hence the shortages of pfzier as older people want it and rejecting AZ.

As I have repeatedly pointed out, and as you try desperately not to understand, we've had a lot less "caging up like animals" than Ireland and other European countries have had. That, together with the lower infection and death rates and the lower economic cost, is why Covid restrictions have been enduring popular in Australia. They have worked much, much better than the policies you are advocating.

It's awkward when the facts don't support your ideological preferences. But continuing to ignore them is not a good look; if you want to persuade anyone to your point of view, you're going to have to start engaging with reality at some point. Until you feel ready to do that, perhaps a discreet silence would be the wiser course.

As for people dying with Covid being assumed not to have died of Covid, we can bypass that controversy by simply measuring excess deaths during the pandemic. Excess death for the US since the pandemic struck: 745,780; for Australia, a reduction of 4,080.

But, yeah, in Real-Donald-Trump-world, Australia's the basket case. I think that tells us all we need to know about real-Donald-Trump-world. You stay there; I'll stick with planet Earth, thanks.

Which, as I repeatedly point out, and as you studiously ignore, is not vaccine hesitancy. People wanting a vaccine is pretty much the exact opposite of vaccine hesitancy.

• Advertisement

OK no hesitancy.

Open up as you have vaccinated everyone and are donating AZ vaccines.

At least try to follow the thread of the conversation, Woody. Australia hasn't vaccinated everyone; that point has been made several times in this thread.

You could have if people wanted to take it.

The supply was there, Romania is at the same craic exporting unwanted vaccines.

Austrailia is Romania, vaccine sceptic.

UK and Ireland are only donating vaccines now at 90% vaccination rates.

You only donate vaccines when supply outstrips demand.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭Real Donald Trump

Go live under a rock for the rest of your life so, and let everyone else get on with it, with a fatality rate of below 1% percent we have more important things to worry about. Maybe if the population wasn't so obese we haven't to worry about people being hospitalized considering 80% are who end up in ICU, but hey, we won't talk about that, incase we upset a certain group.

• Advertisement

Lookit, Woody, this isn't that difficult to follow, so sit down, take a deep breath and have a go. People prefer Pfizer to AstraZeneca. You may or may not share their preference, but having that preference is not, on any view, "vaccine resistance"; it's a vaccine preference. Because Australia's pandemic control measures have been so relatively successful, many people feel able to wait until their preferred Pfizer becomes available, rather than take the immediately available AstraZeneca. That's still not vaccine resistance.

If you want to coin and use the terms "AstraZeneca resistance" go ahead and be my guest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,890 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

More important things to worry about yet here you are on the internet dictating to people who live in a completely different country. Righto.

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭gral6

I'd rather to live in Russia now than in this Australian open air Gulag. Australia is making Putin's Russia look like a liberal democracy now.

Avoid Australia at any cost.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Slideways

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭augustus gloop

Lol, well I’m here in Australia at present. Spring has sprung, lockdown has been uncomfortable but necessary. Vaccination rates improving daily and almost no deaths.

im sure Russia is lovely, but I reckon I’ll keep running the gauntlet here if it’s all the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Noo

Im in australia too, and what lockdown? Ive no restrictions, life is all relatively normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭godzilla1989

And UK with 90% vaccinated already setting of alarm bells

Circuit breaker lockdown openly talked about in October when we are supposedly opening up fully

No one has a clue what they are doing except for China

UK, Ireland, Australia, USA absolutely hopeless, all as bad as each other

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.walesonline.co.uk/news/health/october-firebreak-lockdown-england-reportedly-21500227.amp

Nitpick: the UK population is 65.1% vaccinated. That's large enough to make a signficant dent in the spread and, more importantly, severity of the infection, but obviously there is considerable scope for further vaccination.

The Chinese vaccination rate is probably similar to the UK; about 65%, though we don't know exactly. From reported figures, the Chinese have administered enough vaccine doses to give two shots to 75% of the population, but on the assumption that some people have as yet received only one shot, the number who have received two shots must be less than that. Plus, China is predominantly using Sinovax, which is thought to provide a lower level of immunity than AZ, Pfizer, Moderna or Johnson & Johnson.

Nevertheless China does appear to have the disease under quite tight control; it maintains this largely with very tight travel restrictions, plus rapid local and limited lockdowns in response to outbreaks - pretty much the Australian model, in fact.

These don't work as well against the delta-variant as they did against earlier variants, which means that local/limited lockdowns are becoming more frequent. That's not a reason for abandoning the strategy, though, if - as I think is the case - it is still more effective than the alternatives at limiting infections, limiting deaths, and minimising fiscal and economic impact.

Plus, it apparently annoys Trump supporters and libertarians, which is nice. 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 971 ✭✭✭bob mcbob

80% of the eligible population (>16) in Scotland has been fully vaccinated which I believe is the national figure for Australia opening up.

Scotland opened up on the 9th August and children went back to school around the same time. Unsurprisingly with a virus as infections as Delta, case numbers soared - Scotland currently has the highest case incidence in the world. However there are now signs that the virus has peaked - the only age group where it is still growing is in children (<16). The hospitalisation and death rates while higher than before are manageable.

There is little appetite for another lockdown in Scotland as there is almost an acceptance that when any country opens up, a surge of Covid will follow. In fact I believe that opening up was done in the UK in summer to "get it over with" when the NHS is in a much better position to cope with it. than in winter.

If Australia opens up on 80% and follows a similar trajectory to Scotland then you will be looking at circa 30K cases per day at peak.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭augustus gloop

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,106 ✭✭✭✭josip

When will the Pfizer supply increase to the point where 75% of the entire Australian population can get doubly vaccinated?

At that point in time, we'll know if vaccine hesitancy/reluctance/bloody mindedness is an issue or not.

My sister in Perth was vaccinated before me yet Ireland has now vaccinated over 90% of adults.

Annecdotely she says plenty dont want to take the vaccine and the statistics bear that out.

I'm not going around the houses again with you again.

If you think vaccine hesistancy is low in Austrailia good for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,245 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

You do realise that when this is over the aussies will have waaaaay less deaths and hospitalisations than Ireland or most EU countries right? If they stick to their vaccination plan they'll have spent a lot less time in lock down as well, and half the country isn't even in a lockdown now. Is this what bothers you and other people in this thread? You can just can't deal with the fact that others have it better than you so you concoct this false reality of what it's really like to make yourself feel better? Do you know people over there and you're seeing it on social media or something? I can't understand this bizarre phenomenon.

Because of course vaccine hesitancy is the only possible reason for the slow progress of vaccination, ever. Limited supply can never have anything to do with it. 🙄

Your decision to stop discussing this is probably a wise one.

There are a few points of difference between the Australian plan and the Scots plan. The opening up will be less dramatic - i.e. less of a change from the current position - , because Australia is currently much less closed than Scotland - e.g. apart from Victoria and NSW, schools are open right now, and mostly have been for the past year. A less dramatic opening, starting from a lower base of infections, may see a lesser spike in new infections. Plus, 80% adult vaccination isn't the target for full opening in Australia; that's to be the trigger for "stage 3", which involves the lifting of restrictions on vaccinated adults; the unvaccinated will still be subject to restrictions. And while vaccinated Australians will be free to travel internationally, residents of other countries will not necessarily be free to travel to Australia without restriction; that will depend on conditions in their home country.

The plan does envisage a stage 4, when these last restrictions will be lifted, but no particular target level of vaccination has yet been identified for stage 4.

Worth pointing out that the plan is a plan of the federal government; the states are not yet fully signed up to it. In some cases they are withholding commitment to the plan as a bargaining chip to try to press for a greater share of the vaccine supply, which is still very limited. In other cases they just don't think the plan will be popular with their electorates.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,709 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Large parts of Australia are significantly more restricted than Scotland

And large parts are significantly less restricted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,106 ✭✭✭✭josip

The only meaningful metric to use for restrictions, especially in Australia's case, is population percentage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 971 ✭✭✭bob mcbob

Sorry I should have said, schools are back because it is the end of the summer holidays. They were also open before the holidays started. In terms of current restrictions in Scotland, they are - you have to wear a mask indoor in public places (supermarkets, public transport, etc) and you have to register on for track and trace in pubs, cafes, etc. That is it, really not very onerous.

I can also go abroad on holiday (for countries that will have me) and there are a noticeable amount of international tourists going around here (mainly Europeans and North Americans).

While I can see your point about a lower base maybe resulting in lower numbers, there is also the argument that Australia's figures could be worse. After 3 significant Covid waves here there is likely to be much higher infection acquired immunity here than in Oz. Also it maybe the case that there are more people who are too infirm / elderly to survive Covid even with the vaccine in Oz than Scotland.

Advertisement