Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team 2023/24 [old thread]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,371 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

I'm not sure what the football Kenny is supposed to be having us play is. At this stage it's a little bit criminal. I really wanted it to work but it's not and I don't think it will. I'm sad about it but I think it's better to move on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,129 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Hamilton ya and everyone agrees even most of the RTE pundits but he is not been treated easy compared to others.

Hamilton would have been an emotional child no matter who was managing tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,279 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

I'm sad that you think that. I'd suggest lying in a dark room for a few days and the sadness you feel over our equaliser, and the fans and managers enjoyment of it may diminish for you. Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,153 ✭✭✭letowski

Just back from the match. I taught the atmosphere was really good. The fans arrived early on the South End and made sure they got behind the team and the manager from early on.

I think from reading the comments, some fans underestimate how good Serbia are. I think they have the 12th most expensive team in the world? Watching a player like Tadic touch and move, pulling the strings, its a joy. They have a serious team.

I taught our lads gave it 100% percent tonight. I think that the style that Kenny wants to play, he really needs a playmaker/inside forward that can come short and find pass or through ball. Right now, our attack is solely through our wing backs and getting crosses in, which is very predictable for opposing teams. I bet Kenny would give anything for a Wes Hoolahan type player.

But overall, there are positives to take from the game. Bazuno and Omobamidele were outstanding I taught for teenagers. These guys and a host of other young players are the future and Kenny deserves credit for bringing these guys through.

4 corners. Come on people, stats are easy to get right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,175 ✭✭✭chicorytip

Don't get carried away. He made a number of straightforward saves you expect any run of the mill keeper to make. He plays for Portsmouth. Enough said.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

• Registered Users Posts: 3,760 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

Not when you have an agenda against the manager.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,914 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

My first thought after the game was Ireland were much less sh!te. And hopefully they could get gradually even more less sh!te and show progress. Beating Luxembourg and Azerbaijan in the remaining games and it will mean Ireland finish third. Which will not look too bad on paper. Plus Kenny now has this Serbia point and the hard luck story v Portugal.

Not brilliant if it ends that way but not completely brutal either when taken as a whole.

Plus Kenny has blooded the young lads. Two of three tonight could be pushing to break Robbie Keane’s caps record should they stay fit Bazunu and Omobamidele I would say.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Downlinz

Hugely encouraging signs from the young players and I thought tonight Bazunu and Omobamidele were reminiscent of a young Neur and Alaba. We have a coach who actually wants to play out from the back and trusts his players skillsets to avoid the hoofball that has plagued our team for so so many years, finally!

and most importantly the players clearly buy in, it's an Irish core and not filled with granny rule half interested guys like we've seen previously and I think everything is in place for exciting times in the coming years.

The fans in the stadium clearly see and appreciate what Kenny is building and are willing to offer him patience to deliver results. I hope the fellows on their couch in Man Utd and Liverpool jerseys are able to take a step back and do the same.

I read two, in any case it was near the end of the game before there was even the first corner.

Plus it is his calmness he has a presence already. You can see the outfield lads already trust Bazunu. He is like an Irish Donnaruma a prodigy.

So they don't count then? Is it the same for goals if they're late on too? Great logic.

What am I supposed to be 'seeing' there? The 2 listed under "set piece attempts". I know there were four corners as I can remember two left and two right. If you're gonna try and use stats to beat the manager over the head then use a better site, I'd recommend Flashscore.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

We are 4 points behind Luxembourg who have a game in hand.

We are winless in 12 competitive games.

The only win this coaching regime has is over Andorra.

Where is the basis for believing this deserves any more time? How much more time is needed for us to become merely competitive?

If he loses to Azerbaijan next month, does he still deserve a new contract?

I don't get this unshakeable conviction people continue to have for Kenny. Why is it assumed that anyone else that comes in would be worse? As I said before, look at how low the bar is.

Someone mentioned earlier about being entertained by this team for the first time in decades. Well, I've been entertained plenty of times. Beating Estonia in the play-off entertained me. Beating Bosnia in the play-off entertained me. Beating world champions Germany entertained me. Beating Italy to qualify for the last 16 entertained me. Seeing my national side in draws for tournaments entertains me. We are miles off that.

I don't want us to become another Georgia where we play nice stuff on occasion, but haven't a prayer of reaching a major finals. We can and have been better than that. I didn't expect us to come out of this group, but I expect with a competent coach in charge we could have still been in the mix at this stage. To not even have hope is unacceptable, and I don't want the Euros campaign to be another write-off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,129 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

You seem very confrontational I am not trying to beat the ‘manager over the head’ as you glibly put it. I listed pros and cons as I saw it.

Also I believe I read the same stat two corners on RTE as well which confirms whoscored site??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,850 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

WhoScored says Ireland had 4 corners (which is correct)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,796 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

• Advertisement

McCarthy called up Cullen and Parrott, as well as Byrne, so I don't think it's fair to say he would have omitted players that were performing well for their clubs. O'Shea proved himself in 2020 for the most part, while Omobamidele and Idah had strong showings this year. I think they would have been in the side. Idah probably wouldn't be starting because McGoldrick likely would have stayed on for Mick given they seemed to have a good bond. McCarthy called up Travers and O'Hara, so no reason why he wouldn't have called up Bazunu. I suspect he may have persisted with Randolph as number one, but in fairness to Randolph he didn't tend to let us down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Downlinz

McGoldrick would have been coaxed out of retirement as well and we'd see Arter playing a much more prominent role. It's not difficult to picture that sort of campaign, we'd finish a comfortable 3rd but would have both failed in qualification and in development.

The Kenny appointment and developing from the under 21's as a base was the best thing the FAI have done in decades. It's a shame not everyone realises that yet but they will in time.

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭Muff_Daddy

I definitely agree with the points made regarding the blooding of the young players, and the implementing of a more attractive style of football, and that if we stick this out for the long term, that this philosophy will stand us in good stead going forward.

However, I also take the points that Stephen Kenny himself, just isn't the right man for this job, or more specifically has proven himself as simply out of his depth at this level.

I WANT more than anything else for Kenny to succeed, and I believe his philosophy is the correct one to take us to the next level. However, I am becoming increasingly doubtful that he is capable of being the man who can lead us there.

It begs the question who is that man to take us to that next level, and out of the candidates available, I have no idea right now.

We 100% need to be patient with these players though. Most of these young lads won't be hitting their peak for a good 6-10 years from now.

Serbia should have had 3 at least

When your goalie is the man of the match (again) you know that you're in trouble

What's unusual about the Ireland football shirt ? - no sponsor can see any value in putting any money in - can't remember them not having a sponsor - quite a bad indictment of what the situation really is like.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭tastyt

I think Robinson definitely deserves a start over Connolly or Parrott next time out , looks a lot more dangerous

Also to read that RTE have a Kenny bias because of his league of Ireland background is laughable. They have shown nothing but disdain and total lack of interest in the league over the last 30 years

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭Acosta

It's great these young players are getting good game time and experience with Ireland. But some of them really need to kick on in their club career before things will improve for us.

Decent performance, but a lot of people across social media, as usual, are getting carried away. But onwards and upwards hopefully.

Gareth Southgate was a few penalty kicks away from being knighted for winning a tournament with a style of play that completely contradicted that which the England youth teams had been implementing in their player development. Not to mention that the FA appointed Sam Allardyce of all people in 2016, so this idea that the development of young players will somehow collapse if the senior side go with a more pragmatic coach doesn't hold up to scrutiny. It doesn't seem to be causing alarm amongst our neighbours. Presumably if Southgate flops at the World Cup, they will just bring in a different, less defense-minded coach and the sky won't fall in for them, and their players will still keep being produced successfully under the old principles. Only in this country seemingly is the fate of an entire football philosophy dependent upon one man keeping his senior coaching position.

Of you want to say Kenny's not the man that's fair enough but backing Mick is madness particularly when results and play from the euro qualifiers where brutal. You can't dismiss a 4-1 win vs Andorra while championing wins vs Gibraltar a team many times worse than anyone we've played since.

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Ramasun

Great result, we were due a bit of luck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭FarmerBrowne

For as far back to Jack Charltons era we are all used of seeing the momentous goals scored. For Kenny's reign its probably not going to get much better than one Serb kicking the ball off another Serb and ending up in the net........ah, so many great memories!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,796 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

You're re-writing the story to suit your narrative.

Cullen is only in for Kenny because he is literally the only defensive midfielder playing at any decent level. Also, Mick gave Cullen a debut and is defensively minded, he would 100% have Cullen in given how he's stepped his career up even since Mick left. Kenny in fact spent most of his time gushing about James McCarthy when he first came in and only resorted to Cullen once McCarthy went missing.

Bazunu is only in because Randolph was crocked/withdrew from earlier squads. Mick would have had the same predicament as Kenny did, would have went with either Bazunu or Kelleher for sure.

Omobamidele is maybe the only player you've suggested who might not have gotten a chance. He is definitely a Mick type of player, but given Mick would only play 2 centre backs, he might struggle to fit in consider we have Egan, Duffy, O'Shea, Collins, Clark.

To say O'Shea wouldn't be there is equally crazy, he's a recent Premier League defender, a steady option. Kenny wasn't rolling the dice on him and Mick is hardly going to go with Paul McShane instead.

Again, Idah is a Premier League player and we have no strikers. I grant you, he may not have started, but he would be in the squad, other than Obafemi there's literally no other options.

The players I think who would have featured less under Mick probably would be Molumby as he's barely played and Parrott because he's in League 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Ramasun

I take the point made in defence of SK that the players selected up front are young and still developing.

At various times we've had a couple of established players who weren't getting a game at club level but I don't think I've ever heard of developing players at international level, that's surely something that should happen at their club, then pick them when they're ready for the step up

If SK is good enough to be Ireland manager based on his record in the LoI, then why isn't an LoI striker who's getting his game every week, good enough to play up front for the national team?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭the kelt

Pretty much spot on but doesn’t suit the narrative being pushed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭sonic85

What is the narrative being pushed out of interest?

It's gas - some of you are so bitter and twisted you don't want to give Kenny credit for anything. The air of glee that some people seem to have at the national team being at a low ebb is disturbing really and I get the sense that lads are wishing for bad results just so they can stick the boot in. And ye call yourselves supporters. Sad really

Oh so we are playing a game of “things I never said” cool

The narrative that only Stephen Kenny would have played these young players, no way would others, that narrative.

Who has aid they’re happy to see the national team be this bad?

The evidence of Mick's reign would suggest otherwise. He was reluctant to bring anyone into the team, always reverted to the most experienced players regardless of how poorly they played.

He even openly admitted that performances of fringe players in the friendly matches meant nothing for when the competitive games came around.

You can speculate all you want that he would have brought the young players in but that is not what his time in charge showed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,123 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Encouraging performance last night, yeah we were largely outplayed and blessed to get a draw but the effort and honestly of effort was there from the start there's no doubt that he hasn't lost the dressing room yet.

Thought Baz in goals, Andy and McLean were very good. Should leave Kenny safe until November at least. Will need to see some sort of improvement in the return games and we really need to be beating Luxembourg and Aserbaijan.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭sterz

A reminder for those suffering from short-term memory loss. Since 2018 we've beaten the following teams: United States (2-1), Gibraltar (0-1), Georgia (1-0), Gibraltar (2-0), Bulgaria (3-1), New Zealand (3-1) and Andorra (1-4). Three of those games were qualifiers. Where we're at now has been on the cards for a long time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,989 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

I'd say Idah himself would give his left arm for a player like Wes in that. Would take pressure off him to be the one to try hold the ball up and you might actually see him in the box a bit more rather than having to drop a bit to try hold up the ball for midfielders to link up with him.

Think McClean himself had something to prove. Gave an interview yesterday morning and was quoted as saying, "When I was a young player coming through, that was a squad of men. Maybe us senior players, we've failed. Maybe we haven't done as good of a job as those senior players did for us...".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Anybody know our status in the next nations league cup? It says that the bottom team gets relegated to lower division which means ireland should be relegated to Pot C but on https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2022–23_UEFA_Nations_League it still has ireland in Pot B. It would really benefit us being in a lower pot.

We are pot B. We didn't finish bottom, Bulgaria did.

Omobamideles performance last night makes his exclusion against Azerbaijan even more baffling now. The lad was cool as you like last night and even got a big endorsement from the man himself after the game with Paul McGrath.

We've only got one competitive game next month against Azerbaijan, we really need to look more convincing in a win over them next month if Kenny wants a chance to see beyond this contract. Even more so when the attendance against Qatar was name checked as something the FAI will look at when reviewing Kenny after these qualifiers.

Potentially clutching at straws, but our first game of the international windows under Kenny have tended to produce the best performances. Hopefully that means something to look forward to in Baku...

• Advertisement

We're in League B, Bulgaria was relegated from our group. For this nation's league I think being in League B is better. Avoid relegation and you're a third seed for the Euro qualifiers, and you'll probably still get a play off spot anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,232 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

That is true, and hopefully we can go into this international window with a clean bill of health. See players like Knight return and those that haven't played much so far start to get minutes at club level.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Scoundrel

It was the 83rd minute before we managed a corner which we nearly conceded from.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,168 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

If people want to play this game of "young players are only given a chance by Kenny" maybe its best not to mention Obobamidele? Kenny randomly snupped him for the Azerbaijan game so he could stick Coleman in. If Coleman wasn't injured Omobamidele would not have been selected by Kenny.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement