Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Booing the knee *Mod Note in Post 1232 and OP*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,830 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

The stars have aligned and we agree.

They should and it has nothing to do with BLM and all to do with Qatar's record on Human rights. World cups should not be assigned to countries with such poor records on granting human rights to all people. This will be seen as an endorsement of the Qatari regime and allow them to advertise their country on a global stage.

Do you believe a person cannot campaign on a social issue unless they campaign for all social issues?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,093 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

They can, and should, but it's a personal thing. When I used to watch sport, I watched it for the sport, not the social commentary, not some big reason to be making this known to everyone, I watch it for the sport and nothing else. So while I think yes, go for gold with your support, do it on your own time. As has been proven, doing it during matches or anything else that people have most likely paid for it just not wanted, and creates division where there shouldn't be. If no one was taking the knee, this thread would probably die/have died ages ago.

I reference it to the upcoming NBA 2K22 game, which has shown more of how you can progress through your career making rap videos and becoming a fashion icon, instead of showing the actual gameplay! I don't want that in my basketball games, because I want to play basketball. Just like if I still watched sport, I'd rather these overpaid pansy* millionaires do what they are being paid to do and leave their social stuff outside of it. #JustMy2Cents

A person can do what they want, and more power to them.

They are using their sporting platform to increase the audience that hears their message. Much in the same way Bono uses U2 concerts to lecture on whatever issue is currently tickling his interest.

• Advertisement

And in much the same way, people think bono is a sanctimonious prick and should shut the **** up and sing a song.

Some people. You don't speak for all people. Quite a few U2 fans would take exception to what you said.

They can **** off too.

I never claimed to represent every single person.

You're behaving as if sports people and musicians didn't historically take political stands on issues. They always have, be it Muhammad Ali over Vietnam or athletes taking stands against the Soviet Union and the likes. When they put their money into things like school meals etc they get vilified even more, like the nonsensical rants against Rashford.

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭nolivesmatter

The difference with Muhammad Ali was that what he did wasn't symbolic or tokenistic in any way, he was actively resisting the draft.

• Advertisement

Marcus Rashford is putting plenty of his own money towards school meals, he successfully brought about political change on school meals. And is subject to plenty of abuse over it...

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭nolivesmatter

Wouldn't expect that from anyone, he's going above and beyond the call of duty, fair play to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,663 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Its the usual argument you often see coming from the right, they've been using it for years against social justice activists despite its logical absurdity.

Its used because racists dont like to see black footballers protesting against the racism that they want to deliver to them without consequences. Black footballers like Rashford and Sterling who have been racially abused are perfectly entitled to call it out and protest against it, which is what they are doing.

They are under no obligation to solve other social justice issues, be that a World Cup in Qatar or climate change or child slavery or whatever. There are only so many minutes in the day and their time is best spent protesting an actual social justice issue that they themselves have been directly effected by. Of course the racists would love to see black footballers off protesting other issues because that would then take the focus off them.

Gladly that wont be happening and its good to see the first conviction in the UK courts this week relating to the barrage of racist absuse leveled at black English players at Euro 2020. The racists are facing real life consequences for their actions now, long may it last.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

Stop taking the knee, it's inextricably linked to BLM.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,908 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Well the Polish fans clapped the English National anthem last night but they whistled and booed the knee.

The taking of the knee is unfortunately associated with BLM and its a divisory gesture.

Nobody has any issue with an anti racism gesture, but the taking of the knee is not a good choice.

The English fans continuously booed the opposite teams National anthem during the Euros, I consider that far more disrespectful than booing an empty gesture assoicated with a divisory organisation such as BLM.

The only thing unfortunate is about players taking the knee is racists deliberately misunderstanding why they are doing it. The England players, the England manager and the English FA have all been very clear on why they kneel against racial inequality and discrimination. But the racists dont like black people taking a stand so instead they prefer to engage in some mental gymnastics of how multi millionaire footballers are really BLM linked Marxists who want a new world order. You'd want to be bat sh1t crazy to believe the conspiracy theory that professional footballers are really kneeling because they want to see the end of capitalism.

As for taking the knee itself the action has been documented to originate with slavery more than 200 years ago. BLM do not and never had any ownership of the action, nobody does. They may have appropriated after the murder of George Floyd in 2020 but that was four years after after another sportsman Colin Kaepernick brought it into the sporting arena when he led a lone protest against the racism he faced in his sport and his life. He was blackballed and lost his NFL career over that, for merely exercising his constitutional right. He was also booed by the crowd just as the England players have been.

At the end of the day its the England players protest and they get to decide what the reasons that theyre protesting because they're the ones literally facing racist abuse online as we saw last summer when the black players were racially abused by thousands of online users for missing a penalty. They've been clear on their reasons why they do it enough times now for even the dumbest of numbskulls to get it. But racists dont want to get it becasue they dont like black people standing up for equality and the right not to be racially abused. Instead they'd prefer believe conspiracy theories about how black people really want to rise up and take over the world, they will perform any amount of mental gynnastics to try to link it to Marxism becasue it suits their racist agenda. If racists really want to believe those bat sh1t crazy ideas despite how clear the England squad have been then let them at it but they're not welcome in football. And its great to see some of these people are now on the end of lifetime stadium bans and criminal convictions. More of this please until we get the racists out of the sport that millions of normal people around the world love.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

Hmmmmmmmm, who to believe about why the knee is taken, a randomer off the internet. Or England Captain Harry Kane?? Certainly is a tough one.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/55151065

You'll note he said the Black lives matter movement and not the political organisation of the same name.

The Queen of England also came out this morning and says she supports the Black Lives Matter movement but she made no mention of the political organisation. The last time I checked a billionaire queen is not a Marxist so how do you square that circle? Do you actually think the Queen and a bunch of multi millionaire footballers are now Marxists? What is your evidence for that because all I see is a conspiracy theory that is spread by far right racists to push their agenda of hate and white supremecy.

If it is true you'll have no problem posting up the evidence to link the Queen and the England team to Marxism, it will be easy to show quotes where they said they are full square behind the BLM political organisation in the US and not talking about a movement that fights for racial equality.

Sigh....

Even if the players genuinely believe they are doing it and it has nothing to do with BLM, it doesn't change the fact that that particular gesture will remain linked to it.

Much like something that looks like a Nazi salute will be linked to nazis, much like sticking a middle finger up will still be linked to telling someone to f-off, much like mimicking a monkey will be linked to racism, much like the **** gesture will be linked to calling someone a wanker. People have even gotten in trouble for using the ok symbol because it is linked to the proud boys.

It's almost been universal here that people have no issue and actively support anti racism campaigns, while still disagreeing with that particular gesture being used due to its links to BLM.

Do you think BLM co-founder Patrisse Khan-Cullors, with her very expensive portfolio of real estate is a Marxist?

• Advertisement

I'm happy to answer this once you've answered the question I asked which you ignored- can you offer any evidence be it a quote, statement or otherwise of the England squad or the Queen saying that they support the BLM political organisation? I'm all ears.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,470 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Would you begrudge anyone getting rich of their grift? I remember Bernie used to give out about "Millionaires and Billionaires" until he became one so now he only gives out about Billionaires

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

I do not support taking the knee. No, not because I am racist, because it's more yank identity politics seeping into our culture and it's a meaningless gesture.

We're told "it's a personal choice". But it's not, is it? I believe Zaha is the only player who doesn't take the knee in the premier league. Are you really going to tell me that out of roughly 500 players in the premier league, only 1 is against taking the knee? That's 99.8% of players. Are you really going to ask me to believe that when there's 5 or 6 players in each squad who haven't got the covid vaccine? Are you really going to ask me to believe that 5 or 6 of formula one drivers do not take the knee but 99.8% of footballers in the premier league support it?

The knee is associated with BLM. That is a fact. You can come to me and tell me that it was Colin K who first did it, but Michael Jackson didn't invent the moonwalk either, yet it's associated with him. When I see the knee, I just think of yank divisive identity politics. The whole knee thing was borne out of Floyds death. Again, it sickens me to think that an american criminal gets murdered and us Irish and british people get so involved. SkySports literally said they'd hire more black presenters, which is racism.

You can come out as many times as you want and say "the players are not supporting BLM" but you don't get to decide what something is associated with. If I go into work with a charlie chaplin moustache, you think no one would think I am supporting Hitler?

We already had anti racism programs in football. There's the kick it out campaign, equal game campaign.

I do not support the knee as an anti racism gesture. Do another gesture. I was a big fan of the one they did before where both teams stood together for a photo with an anti racism message. I can get fully behind that.

Weird one, you're happy to reference criminal George Floyd but are entirely ignoring the fact that the police officer who did it was convicted.... The reality is a shared gesture ends up more powerful and it's very much so not a hateful gesture. It also pisses off the same type of people all the time...

It sure does. The people who don't support BLM.

I don't understand what you mean?

Why would I reference the cop?

Tell me what this "powerful" knee has achieved in football? The racists are still racist. The non racists clap and cheer for themselves because they're not racist and life goes on as normal.

Actually, I find the irony absolutely hilarious is that when the boo'ers accuse the knee takers of it being a BLM thing, those taking the knee say "no it's not a BLM thing, you are wrong"

When the knee takers accuse the boo'ers of being racist, then the boo'ers say "we are not racist, we boo the knee for X,Y,Z reason", the knee takers just go "you're racist!"

So in short, those pro knee can tell those booing why they're booing, but those booing aren't allowed to tell the knee takers why they're taking the knee.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭jakiah

I havent been keeping up with British football, is this still going on at every game? Is this particular political protest now a permanent part of the matchday there?

What was racist about this murder? Why was this racist reason not mentioned in court?

• Advertisement

Yes it's before every single game and it's before international games too. Ireland took the knee v Serbia for example.

Advertisement