Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

To Mask or not to two - Mask Megathread cont.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭fun loving criminal

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭ShadowTech

This is the second time you've responded to a question with a question while simultaneously implying I hold a position I have not actually stated: "why do you want to go around spreading the "cold or flu"?" and "do you see an end to covid?" Do you have thoughts on this topic or are you just toying with anyone who actually wants to discuss?

Maybe you should get onto Dr Mike Ryan of the WHO with your questions and complaints. He too is saying masks are staying.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,815 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

Minister for Higher and Further Education Simon Harris has announced free face masks will also be supplied to colleges across the country. https://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/politics/students-encouraged-covid-jab-college-24904538

https://twitter.com/SimonHarrisTD/status/1433678258894254135

It’s a good thing that he’s not making Government policy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭Seanergy

Firstly, I wasn't one of the posters in Part 1 disregarding anyone else so I don't really see the relevance in bringing it up.

Anyway, when I say "claustrophobic" I mean claustrophobic. As in anxious, panicky and I have to make a conscious effort not to rip the thing off my face. I

Just becuase you refuse to see or don't see the relevance does not mean that it is not relevant, bear with me.

Now, we know you say you suffer from claustrophobicness as in you feel anxious and panicky when wearing a mask.

But, once again when asked you have not gone into "discussing" your condition in any great detail, just provided one sentance.

Have you been suffering with claustrophobicness all your life or is it just since mandatory masks came in?

Sorry can you just reconfirm, because you seem to be saying one thing and then the other, is it you feel anxious and panicky or feel claustrophobic?

I’m not “refusing” to see the relevance of anything. If you have something to say about why the behaviour of others is relevant to a point I was making then by all means, explain it.

As for the rest of your post, I’m not going to attempt to justify how I feel to you nor am I going to walk you through my medical history. You’ve shifted the discussion from the original claim made which is that a mask is just like any other item of clothing. It is not. It is a restriction imposed to serve a purpose. That purpose is rapidly disappearing as vaccines do their job. I used myself only to illustrate that some of us have done everything required throughout the pandemic but have nevertheless suffered from this restriction. That was clearly a mistake as you’ve moved from discussing why you think masks should be mandatory despite widespread vaccination and minimal risk to the health service to an attempt to get me to justify my emotional reactions to a restriction that I am arguing is no longer relevant.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭DebDynamite

Exactly, Covid is here to stay. So what do you propose - face masks forever?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,892 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

Interesting to see the banned list is a who's who of posters from the conspiracy theory forum. Strong correlation between anti-maskers, anti-vaxxers and conspiracy theorists, almost a perfect overlap.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,313 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Interesting article on a Dublin school using a classroom air purifier during lunchbreaks...

https://www.thejournal.ie/dublin-school-ozone-machines-covid-5541034-Sep2021/

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement

I’m pro vaccines and have my shots got.but my god I’m anti masks.there horrendous and a contact reminder of the media driven hysteria around the thing that’s apparently going to kill us all .masks have to go and I guess I’m not the only one who has curtailed going to shops/shopping centres not for fear of catching the turbo charged flu but the bloody hassle of being hours masked up.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kirk.

Masks are a pain in the hole

Everyone going round like extras in zombie apocalypse

So what do you want? No face masks and for someone to self diagnose themselves with having allergies and going around spreading covid? Maybe go back to the pre-covid times and go into work sick.

This is one sneaky virus with some people saying it felt like allergies, while others end up sick in hospital. There's no going back to what we were used to before covid.

How long do you take to do your shopping?

As for a shopping centre, take a break and go outside for some fresh air.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭xhomelezz

Lol who goes to shops and shopping centres for hours? Unless of course you are employed there.

Edit: Would you mind to tell me more about media driven hysteria and turbo charged flu please?

Post edited by xhomelezz on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭xhomelezz

Great contribution, there's few zombies around walking in circles for sure.

Are you sure you are using mask to cover up proper holes?

I used myself only to illustrate that some of us have done everything required throughout the pandemic but have nevertheless suffered from this restriction.

How noble of you. Just an illustration it is, so.

BTW your use of words and thought pattern reflect not a genuine person who has suffered from masks as a non pharmaceutical intervention.

That article is no longer up. Belfast telegraph similar no doubt.

I thought ozone is NOT recommended for Covid19 & is damaging to health in an occupied building.

The mobile ‘plug and play’ devices, distributed by Dublin-based Sanity System, use ozone gas to purify the air and surfaces of schools, workplaces, hospitality venues or vehicles. It is only used when no-one is inside the room, and the school said it can be used during lunchbreaks. The procedure then reverses itself to remove any remaining ozone so the premises or vehicle can be used as soon as the process finishes.

You are aggressive and frankly refuse to engage on the topic. Rather than share your thoughts you make snide remarks and disregard my experience because what, it doesn’t fit with the narrative you’ve decided on? I’d hoped to get some understanding of why someone would want to continue the mask mandate post-vaccinations but it’s pretty clear that you’re only interested in picking a fight. I’m not interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,892 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

Congrats on the vaccine but masks reduce the spread of Covid. If you're alright jack, fine, but my older relatives (despite being vaccinated) are still at risk and wear masks when they can as a precaution. I'm not gone on masks myself, likewise not keen on seatbelts, but can obviously understand the logic/common sense behind both. Your line about "media driven hysteria" is a staple trope of the loons, fruitcakes and conspiracy theorists. As mentioned, there's a pandemic, Covid is still around, masks reduce that, it's not a big ask.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Hego Damask

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Hego Damask

Indeed this is true, but why do you think 99.99% of people outside in Spain are still fully masked up ??

Maybe cos the media are blathering on about how the removal of the outdoor mask mandate removal was responsible for the delta wave ?

And are still calling for the rule to come back ?

Basically people do what the man on the telly tells them to do , and make no mistakes, if there ever was an outdoor mask mandate in Ireland people like you would be singing a different tune, Luke O Neill would probably be all over the radio/TV telling us peasants how important it is to have the mask securely in place from the moment you leave your door to the moment you get back.

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭Unicorn Milk Latte

It's a challenge for politicians to interpret what scientists tell them.

It's also a challenge to find the middle ground between following scientists and political self interest.

If politicians in Spain recommend outdoor masking, the only thing it means for us is that politicians in Ireland are better at understanding and following scientific advice.

It's also crucial that, by being overly cautious, politicians in Spain are doing no harm - as opposed to the idiots in the US, who want to create as many outbreaks in schools as possible with their anti-science policy - in part - as in Florida - so the wife of the politician in charge can make a better profit with her shares in Covid medication when more people fall ill.

Firm not aggressive, stop making stuff up and playing the victim.

Nobody is asking you to justify your emotional reaction to a non pharmaceutical intervention. Nobody bar me is engaging with you about your emotions and masks but low and behold your not interested because you don't like my tone.

I suppose I wasn't clear. It's not your tone that's the problem. You're being a jerk. You won't discuss your own thoughts on masks post-vaccination and why you think masks should remain. You disregard anyone's reasons for wanting to be rid of masks with passive aggressive crap like "How noble of you". You've spent this entire exchange talking about me instead of the topic at hand.

Honestly, I'm done talking to you. You're either trolling or have a chip on your shoulder about this topic so large it makes you lash out at anyone who doesn't already agree with you. Enjoy the beautiful evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Getting rid of the masks will be great, was at a festival in Denmark at the weekend and it was great to walk around and in go in and out of shops without having to wear a mask. There are enough people vaccinated now, the situation is not going to improve any further. We just have to live with it as it is now.

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭Unicorn Milk Latte

the situation is not going to improve any further

Yes, it is going to improve further. Over 31 million vaccine doses are still administered globally every single day.

Sure, Ireland is in a good place - we're in the world's top 10 for the share of people vaccinated in the population. But it's still ongoing, and it is a global pandemic, it won't be over till it's under control everywhere. And it's an evolving situation, with new variants appearing daily (perfectly normal for virus evolution..). Approval process for age 12 and under - probably with reduced vaccine doses - still ongoing.

So, I agree with the positive outlook in general, including likely ending of mask mandates for vaccinated as a part of the phasing out of the non-pharmaceutical measures. But we're not quite there yet.

Happy Respiratory Protection Week.

You're being a jerk.

You're either trolling or have a chip on your shoulder about this topic so large it makes you lash out at anyone who doesn't already agree with you.

Far from it. BTW I havn't lashed out at you, your making a lot of presumptions, none of them are correct.

• Advertisement

What Face Mask-Related Consumer Behaviours Can We Expect Post-Pandemic

Some changes are forever.

The one sentance that stuck out at me from this article was "Personally the reasons I do not like the mask is the way it brings me too close to myself. Make no mistake I love myself. Very much actually. The mirror can bring you close to yourself. But the mask….that’s close. Really close." 🤣

Advertisement