Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rugby Championship 2021 Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,708 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

You'll see more red cards now I believe if this new system stays in. I think rugby has gone a little bit over cautious but of all the red cards for a lack of duty of care that one was clear enough in my opinion.

20 mins in the bin then a sub on is a good move in my opinion, too many games ruined after 10 or 20 mins with a man sent off

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭theVersatile

That's 100% a red, so reckless and no need for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

That's a ridiculous statement. It was a natural movement but it was dangerous contact to the head so an understandable red. It was the perfect example of why 20 minutes for a red is a good thing. Being a man down for the rest of the match for that would have been an injustice.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,096 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Don't have an issue with the red card decision. We've seen similar over the last 18 months being given as reds. I don't see why he's so surprised about it tbh.

It's an extremely fine line. Had it been boot to shoulder and not to face, and Jordie was upended, it could have been a red the other way. He was never looking to compete for the ball.

• Advertisement

Really enjoying watching Akira this season. It's been a breakout season for him and he seems to be finally realising the potential that everyone could see was there. He's been around for a few years now but appears to have matured and could make the 6 jersey his own for a good years. He's only 26.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭ersatz

No, Koroibete had stalled and timed his tackle perfectly. Barrett's foot would have been on the ground on impact if he hadn't shoed him in the head. There is nothing controversial about that card and Barrett should be looking at a ban, he could have blinded him.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,046 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

Match showed large gulf that still exists between NZ and Australia. NZ have far more strength in depth and without 3 of their front liners still won comfortably. Dave Rennie has his work cut out. NZ vs S. Africa fixtures will probably decide the tournament.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,738 ✭✭✭irelandrover

He didn't look off balance to me. He had his knee up and then stuck out his foot which made contact with the face. Players don't normally jump foot out like that so its not like a natural jumping position.

It probably wasn't on purpose but he put out his foot to keep a player at distance and hit him in the face.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

There is no question at all about that red. It was a secondary movement by Barrett to bring his foot up. He wasn’t falling backwards and it wasn’t a natural movement. I can understand the instinct but it was a red all day long.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭Eoinbmw

No one jumps with and out stretched leg and foot that high I'd even go as far as to say he meant to kick him in the face!

He was only surprise because its the All Blacks and they usually get away with stuff like that!

Judging by the comments here, the entire All Black's team should have been red carded 😂

Jordie was absolutely off balance, and leaning back while twisting, and to outstretch a leg is a natural movement to balance yourself.

Anyway, it's just one of those freak things which you couldn't repeat again if you tried.

This still shows him a lot more straight and also karate kicking someone in the face. It's almost like stills don't show the full thing.

That old tired line. The ABx don't get away with stuff more than other teams. That was the third red against Australia in the last couple of years.

No doubt you will now post a list of AB infringements that you think should have been red cards.

I'm not sure whether you're being serious or not. My still was only to show that he was leaning back. Of course he's more upright in your still, because he put his leg out to help regain his balance 🙄

• Administrators Posts: 53,730 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Players jump like that all the time tbh, and it was only a matter of time before something like this happened.

It wasn't intentional, that flailing leg is a by-product of going for a high ball and misjudging the flight, but it has to be a red because contact to the face with the boot is very dangerous.

I wasn't being fully serious. I just don't think stills show anything.

It's a clear red to me. Barrett jumped to catch a ball, raised his foot and went studs first into another players face. Its reckless and there wasn't any mitigation.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,485 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

its a red

but a good example of why the 20 min red is a good rule (though i know the majority are against it)

its caused by poor technique that anything maliciously dangerous.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,754 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

I didn't see the Barrett incident, but it sounds like a carbon copy of Hastings on Kelleher in the Leinster-Glasgow game last season. Hastings saw red for that too.

It was very similar.

As Syd said, it was poor technique and accidental so the 20 minutes down to 14 was a fair result. The Wallabies still couldn't score any points during that time 🤣

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,491 ✭✭✭swiwi_

So.... The judiciary has rescinded the red card and it has been expunged from Barrett's record. This leaves 2 options for interpretation I suppose

1) The "All Blacks control world rugby" take. This is the option that appeals to the uninformed, unintelligent bigoted masses. Doesn't require any insight, just ingrained prejudice and a chip on the shoulder. Available to anyone.

2) The "I was wrong" take. Requires self-awareness, intelligence and the ability to read (the judiciary's findings for example). The road less-travelled.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

1)

20 min red cards are a great idea !! :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,548 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Secret option number 3 - Sanzaar judiciary panel is a joke.

“The accidental nature of the incident lead the judicial committee to find that there was no intentional nor reckless act of dangerous play, with the result that the red card is expunged from the player’s record.”

Something can be both accidental and reckless. World Rugby may as well give up pretending it actually cares about player welfare.

"intentional nor reckless" does not mean they have to be both.

it can be either intentional or reckless, similarly it can be accidental and reckless and still warrant a sanction.

in this case they determined it was neither intentional nor reckless.

I am aware. Their stated logic is that because it was accidental they found it not to be reckless. Which is terrible logic.

If you can't catch a ball without shoving your studs out at head height near someone's head, then don't catch the ball. That is the behaviour that needs changing.

Also, this from McLeod is utter horseshit

McLeod pointed out that Koroibete encroached into Barrett's landing space before he hit the ground. "We believe we do have a defence. There's some mitigating circumstances from our side so we'll put forward a case," McLeod said. "He won the space in the air so in previous cases the person who has done that everyone else has to look after that person underneath or be aware of that. That would be one. I'm not on that committee and I'm not presenting the case but in my opinion that's what I reckon."

Koroibete clearly stopped dead precisely so as not to encroach on Barrett in the air and got a kick in the face for his efforts.

• Administrators Posts: 53,730 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I am surprised to be honest.

Is intent now a factor? It is hard to keep up with this stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,560 ✭✭✭bennyl10

If intent is now a factor, this could set a seriously dangerous precedent.

foul play is foul play. a red card, as clear as this, is a red card.

how many high or in the air shots have real “intent”? It doesn’t change that they are red cards!

this is a baffling decision.

• Advertisement

"intent" has always been a factor in red cards. "either intentional or reckless"

go and read any judiciary report of a striking red card, intent is always part of the charge.

for "reckless" red cards however intent does not have to be a factor, thus you can have accidental, but reckless, red cards.

in this case they are saying it was neither intentional nor reckless.

Advertisement