Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New Alternative News Channel "GB News" chaired by Andrew Neil launching - read OP before posting

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,429 ✭✭✭Morgans

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,123 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Does this mean back soon or "back soon" in the Andrew Neil sense of the term 😂

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,224 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

That's pretty amazing really.

Clearly they are struggling to get advertisers to spend money with them, but you'd have thought that they would still be able to fill the slots.

Either they are looking for rates that don't match their actual viewing numbers and value or they are holding out for "better" advertisers and refusing the take the typical bottom-feeder type stuff you see on the smaller Satellite channels.

It's probably a bit of both , but no matter what the reason, it's a very worrying sign after only a few months on air.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,615 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

So, this relaunch. Did it ever happen? I googled "GB News relaunch" and didn't get anything. Looks like Michelle "Dewbs" Dewberry is out as well on a "break".

It's not going well, is it? Perhaps they could show TikTok videos instead of ads or something.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,224 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Another week and another set of BARB figures showing the ever declining viewing numbers. They are now managing barely a 3rd of the viewers of Sky Sports News , let alone Sky News..

They have shown a decline each and every week since the original launch barring a single week blip upward the week that Farage arrived.

That allied to the apparent lack of advertisers which cannot be being aided by Andrew Neils very public and obvious absence from the channel , does not make for much of a future for the channel at this juncture.

As it has ever been , the survival of the station will only be for as long as the investors are willing to give them money.

And one would have to imagine that that won't be for a whole lot longer.

They'll probably give this latest "Re-Launch" a few weeks to see if there's any signs of life , but if that fails to shift the needle then I'd say that will be the end of that..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

All the random people they've swiped from Talk Radio has given Talk Radio a schedule hole to put Jeremy Kyle on... which is likely to be of more benefit to TR than retaining the presenters who left!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,664 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

We're still taking about world war 2 as well, didn't mean it was a positive thing.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,537 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

I mentioned it once but I think I got away with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,656 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Was farage back on air tonight?

Mentions on Boards is worth about as much as all them claps the NHS nurses were paid so I wouldn't be worried too much anyway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,664 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,451 ✭✭✭Hoop66

How much, ballpark figure will do, do they get paid when we talk about them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,099 ✭✭✭Rawr

Appeared to have been. I'll only ever go as far as the Youtube Channel page, but it looks like some clips were uploaded.

However, whoever is administering the Youtube Channel should consider working on their thumbnail selections. Farage looks a little extra demented in most of them:

Honestly I don't think I've ever seen a photo of Farage where he doesn't have that open mouthed "teeth and gums" expression on this face.

It's possibly by design by photo editors the world over , but as you say you'd think that his own team would find better pictures of him.

Maybe the better pictures really don't exist??

Neil more than likely not coming back, viewer numbers crashing, absolutely nobodies on as "guests"

Will it make the new year? My guess is no.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,099 ✭✭✭Rawr

Really depends on cash flow. I think I read once that they had enough money invested to run themselves into next year. However it might be that the people running GB News might not want to invest their time and effort into the channel if things don't appear to improve soon. You could get to a situation where the channel is unable to operate before it runs out of cash.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,844 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

Well one thing is for certain Nigel Farage will hang on as long as someone is stupid enough to pay him a wage. The man has no scruples.

All the new hires will be dragging on the bank balance at a higher rate than the original staff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

They're definitely not leaving ad breaks empty so they can hold out for 'better advertisers' because I saw a Cash for Gold firm advertising on it the other night so they're pretty much down the bottom of the barrel at this point. It cant be too long until they're advertising 'British Psychics Live' and sex phonelines.

If they are selling slots to Cash for Gold companies Id say their advertising sales department is in absolute carnage at this point. And they're the folk who are supposed to be bringing in the revenue to pay the weekly wages of the 120+ employees.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

What talk radio employed Jeremy Kyle? Had thought he was persona non grata in the media business but I suppose not.

Yeah he was, I watched him for 10 minutes. He wasnt in the studio though, Im not sure if they have set up a satellite studio outside London or if it was a studio set up in his own house. Either way he intended conducting his full show interviewing guests from their own homes which is fine for one or two guests but not an entire show.

He had the former UK ambassador to the US on except this fella hadnt been an ambassador since 2003 and had little to offer. The two of them were bemoaning the degradation of the 'Special Relationship' between the US and the UK. Farage got his hits in on Obama and Biden and harked back to the glory days of Trump ("a good friend of mine"). It was actually funny though as Farage was saying because the US acted unilaterally in Afghanistan that the UK needs to find itself more reliable allies. There was no mention of the UK burning their bridges with the EU of course though. After the 2003 ambassador he had Sean Spicer on but I turned off at that point

Talk Radio/Talksport have a history of employing those that others won't and seeking the controversial. Keys and Gray after they left Sky for instance.

Part of GBNs problem is that they convinced themselves they were the only voice in a market that already had outlets. Lots of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭KildareP

Their ad sales is outsourced to Sky Media. Sky were at one stage stuffing the breaks with their own ads, you'd often get an ad for Sky Broadband, followed by an ad for Sky Mobile followed by an ad for Sky Sports. Maybe two bullion commercials and perhaps a more "mainstream" ad at peak times. It seems even Sky have given up buying up the ad space if they've resorted to showing holding slates for 3-4 minutes!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭AllForIt

No I think the fact is that TV is still very influential despite those that say that it's all happening online nowadays.

There is nothing like LBC or Talk Radio on Television, but there is now.

If one really believes in democracy you'd wouldn't try to shut anyone down unless they are being extreme, and I don't think GBNews is extreme.

I'd rather see GBNews exist and ya'll take the piss of it than it didn't exist at all.

There is noting worse than biased media and I think it's a good thing that we now have an opposing channel to the norm, even if they are biased as well.

There is no such thing as a complexly unbiased news channels. So the only option left if multiple biased news channels.

I have no problem whatsoever with anyone disagreeing with anything, but I do have a problem with those who wish to shut down a channel because it's the opposite of where their political opinions lie. That's the kind of attitude everyone should be worried about.

I would only personally back GBnews on the basis that it is an alternative to the msm. I agree the ratings are crap and it's production has been woeful, but I don't think it's entirely crap. It's funny because the whole point of it is to raise issues that are ignored in other msm and afaic it is fulfilling it's purpose in that regard. One can say it's all so right wingy, but so what. What's the point in trying to drown out the opinions of right wingers. Fight with them if you are so right, you'd think you'd value the opportunity to do so.

I think that the direction any country goes is, in a democracy, is based off opinions of those in the middle ground, i.e, those that aren't committed right or left wingers. I'd be one of those people. I'm not a lefty, i'm not a rightly. It all depends, at the time. Fight it out but don't try to shut anyone down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,974 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Yeah, I remember Andrew Neil launched the channel he spent about 15 minutes talking about the target that was driving him to get involved in this and risk his journalistic reputation was to have 10 to 15 anonymous accounts on an Irish discussion Board post a handful of posts a day about them. That's the goal, who cares about ad sales or viewing figures.

FFS, what a ridiculous statement. Is that what you're left with to try to defend the channel? Kinda hoping people will stop badmouthing them for fear of being said to be justifying the channel in doing so. No chance, I'm not sure they'll fold, but I'm glad to see the lack of appetite there is for that brand of Faux News.

In regards to this

"It's funny because the whole point of it is to raise issues that are ignored in other msm and afaic it is fulfilling it's purpose in that regard."

What issues are being ignored by other msm but being raised by GB "news"?

• Advertisement

What a load of absolute $h1te. You are trying to sneakily link this to "woke cancel culture" by claiming we want the channel "shut down" because we disagree with it's views.

I want the channel to have no viewers because it means that people don't believe in it's bile. If it has no viewers it goes bankrupt and fails and that is not the same as wanting it "shut down"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,577 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

No one is shutting anything down. Don't be so weak minded. GBeebies is failing under the weight of its own insignificance because the investors thought, or were led to believe, that they were onto a good grift. But they've found out that there just isn't an audience out there for the shite that this channel is peddling.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

The equation is simple here: GB News started under the belief there was a hungry market for "anti woke" reporting and current affairs analysis, within that cognitive bias. The market, however, has repeatedly shown totally apathy and rejection: suggesting that the "anti woke" narrative is either non-existent, or nowhere near the simmering Silent Majority the station and others would have us believe existed. Even a filthy lefty such as myself can understand a basic tenet of the free market such as that 🤣 As had been said fadó in this thread; it speaks to poor business decisions to grossly over-estimate one's market to that degree. They should have started small.

GB News said: we shall fight the mainstream, woke press! The world said: we don't care; this doesn't matter to us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,575 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

And does that sentiment mean that Ofcom were wrong to shut down Press TV? Their contention was that islamic fundamentalism didn't get a fair shake in the Western media...

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,949 ✭✭✭✭banie01

This! 100% this.

If you start a station espousing free speech, libertarian, right wing and free market viewpoints?

Who's fault is it when the free market doesn't switch in? And when those that did, switch off in droves?

• Advertisement

where they presenting themselves as a news station or an opinion station? Despite the name GB News claim they are not a news station, they are an opinion station. There are different broadcasting rules for both.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,615 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

There absolutely is a market for anti-woke crybullying. 100%. The problem is that it is being catered for by individuals operating social media accounts with zero overheads. There's a market for an overhead-laden TV channel the same way there is for first class short haul flights you have to book months in advance via telephone. It's yesterday's business model and the world has moved on. Everyone here knows this but the right wingers will now resort to their victimhood narrative of how "The Left (TM)" needed it to fail when nobody in a country where 17.4 million people voted for Brexit actually wants to watch the thing. I've asked why this is the case and got no answer. I'm also keen to hear which issues the MSM (TM) ignores but GB News alone reports. So far no answer has been forthcoming.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭Butson

What's the story here with people commenting on this station that clearly a) don't watch it, b) don't agree with it's editorial stance and c) want it to fail?

Surely just don't bother with it?

What's the story here with people trying to shut down criticism of GB News with statements like this?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Because when a project starts itself with an almost obnoxious degree of swaggering bluster, pronouncing itself the great bulwark against "woke" culture, it's amusing to watch it flail with an impressive degree of mismanagement, a notably right-wing enterprise failing to exercise understanding of its own market. The ironing is delicious.

Schadenfreude yes, but then why not? Listening to those types waffle constantly on about "liberal tears" or "woke cancel culture" all the time, it's entertaining to watch GB News fail. To cancel itself, if you will. I'm only human.

Also, it's a discussion board. You've literally shot down about 75% of the traffic here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,974 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Because it had/has the potential to a massively significant player in the future evolution of UK society. The chances of this appear to be small right now as if it doesn't generate revenue, it's time might be short unless they were to find some sort of benefactor although they'd want very deep pockets, or be very sure of an outcome they were satisfied with to put their money in to this.

You might think it is far fetched that they become a societal influence but that is what they set out to be given the way they branded themselves in a particular way and you only have to look at the US to see how dangerous this can be. Donald Trump was an objectively bad President, communicator, strategist, politician. That's more than just an opinion, that's a fact and yet a very significant portion of the population believe the election was stolen from him and that the country is doomed without him. More than any other entity, Fox News is responsible for this situation and in a similar fashion for how society feels about climate change, immigrants, science and healthcare.

This isn't just about wanting to see the right wingers taking a loss, it's about not wanting to see society at the behest of a media entity.

I remember being out for a walk at some point in 2020 and I remember exactly when I was listening to a left-leaning, pro-Remain podcast when the panel were discussing GB News and Johnson's attempt to make Paul Dacre head of Ofcom. They expressed concern about the malign influence a Fox News type channel might have in the UK. Of course, they didn't know at the time that nobody would ever watch GB News but it was clearly a more effective (and cheaper) trolling tool before it went live.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Look, I actually agree with the criticisms of the narrow narrative of GBNews. If they are going to go on and on about Woke and cancel culture every day, that is going to get very tired very fast.

But there defiantly are 2 issues they have raised, and I get that's not many, that are not robustly debated in the msm.

On the issue of cross channel migrants/refugees, some think the numbers are going to explode over time, if something isn't done to settle the numbers down a bit. I kinda get that that, without knowing it's a fact. I can't see the numbers reducing, only going up, if some action isn't taken to upset the chain of what is going on. Surely it's not sustainable as it is anyway.

As for other issues, I think the support for Biden is another big one. It's fine to criticize Trump but all I see is soft criticism of Biden. As if because Biden beat Trump, no criticism necessary.

I don't know if anyone noticed, but the channel generally has been very critical of Boris Johnson. Not far-right enough, eh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,429 ✭✭✭Morgans

I think there would be vastly fewer people concerned with immigration/channel crossings if it wasn't used as a distraction whenever the government is in trouble and if it there wasn't media outlets telling them that it's the reason why their lives are miserable.

The fact that GB News presenters are now literally begging Owen Jones to come on in an attempt to rile up the viewership is the surest sign yet that the place is screwed. We're at 'the lads are very worried about their jobs' stage.

Cross channel I'm immigration and Ttump? Trust me, neither of those "issues" are on the tongues of the average person in the UK.

• Advertisement

I read all about the new plan to turn boats back today.

I read it on an "MSM" paper and to be honest I think most people who moan about "MSM" don't actually watch or read it because it doesn't confirm their biases. That's all GBnews is a security blanket for a very small minority who need their horrible views reassured

Precisely. The red tops here have been harping on and on about immigration for decades. Regarding Biden, he's getting it from his own party, the media organisations one would identify as broadly aligning with said party and from the GOP who instigated the various middle eastern wars in the first place as well as Fox News who actively ignore that inconvenient little detail. 

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,949 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Ladies and Gentlemen...

Given the efforts made by the Spectator and the support for the rumoured article and frankly vile accusations levied by EH earlier in this thread.

I give you Marcus Rashford absolutely pwning the right wing, and having them publish it 😂 Rashford has consistently acted with purpose and with an overarching aim of highlighting and combatting childhood poverty and hunger. That made him a target for the Right and Tory media. That he now gives them the story, rather than tells them fúck off is measure of the man.

I wouldn't begrudge him a goal at Anfield, and this further strengthens that thought tbh.

That's a damn good piece. Fair play to him for writing that.

How long before somebody says that he didn't write it himself?

What has been clear throughout the whole sordid affair is that Rashford has remained a class act, his calm and emotional maturity only serving to further highlight the shrieking insanity of those trying to attack an uppity black ma... sorry, a celebrity.

Remarkable too, given the subject. Children starving, like something from Dickens. Rashford is trying to highlight the very real issue of Britons suffering from food poverty and starvation; something you'd think would be a slam dunk for "bi-partisan" support - yet here we are. Shooting the messenger interpreted as an invitation rather than caution.

Give it time. I'd say the line about feckless, lazy working class people needing to work harder and pull themselves up by their bootstraps is more likely.

The fact that Eskimo hunt is nowhere to be seen as the GBeebies viewing figures continue to plummet, Neil washes his hands of the whole thing and even Farage seems to be getting sick of the sound of his own voice, speaks volumes. Either he was on the wind up, or is completely craven in a rat-deserting-the-ship style abandonment of that which he holds dear.

Which also speaks volumes 🙃

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,297 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Which also means we have to miss them eating crow about Marcus Rashford's Spectator article.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement