Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scam calls

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

Might be time to fix the search function, or have a ‘Scam Calls’ thread as a sticky. These threads are posted every few days.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,853 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

it's starting to get really ridiculous. I've had about 9 scam calls to my phone today already. Grrrr!!! 🤬

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭wilkie2006

The Irish mobile number that shows on your screen isn't really the person that's calling: the scammers are using programs that display dummy numbers.

If you call them back/ report/ block them, you're taking action against the real owner of that number, not a scammer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,473 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

I also notice it comes up as +353 XXX. Whereas a genuine number is just XXX

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,686 ✭✭✭beachhead

+353 xxx is a genuine code.It is Republic of Ireland international code.I receive genuine calls from the code.

• Advertisement

I like to answer them, talk really low, ask them to speak up, talk even lower and ask can they hear me, THEN SCREAM DOWN THE RECEIVER

The profanities start at that point with me cackling back at them like a hyena

Ahh, its the little things

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭Rock Steady Edy

Similarly, I don't mind answering them if I have time, if they don't hand up at the start. Fortunately they only call the landline, not my mobile. Another Indian sounding person (this time male) called this morning purporting to be from Eircom, so I asked him where he was calling from. "Ireland" was the reply. "Where in Ireland?" I asked, but I couldn't make out what he was saying.

Unfortunately I didn't have time to play along with him anymore this morning, but told him I was going to end the call. I guessed no-one who really worked for the company would call it Eircom.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,073 ✭✭✭Cordell

This is why I disconnected the landline, the scam calls were coming into the odd hours, probably the scam call centre had the timezone wrong :) Or maybe it's a higher chance if you wake up the person...

Please take this one seriously. I have had a flurry of extremely abusive calls to my work mobile because someone has had automated fake calls that were using my number as their caller ID.

They were too thick to listen to or comprehend any rational explanation as to why the caller ID was fake and just kept ranting at me.

Hopefully the authorities aren't stupid enough to actually follow up a complaint like that, but reporting people to call blocking services or publishing their number online is only causing serious hassle for a 3rd party with nothing to do with the call at all and who have been the victims of identity theft basically.

These calls need to be dealt with by the use of authenticated Caller ID. Where a caller ID is dubious, the network should be able to replace it with just "UNKNOWN" or "UNVERIFIABLE" that would reduce the volumes.

There shouldn't be any possibility of displaying a number you don't own. For example, a call coming in from some random VoIP platform shouldn't be able to present an Irish mobile number. They've no legitimate business doing so, so the caller ID shouldn't be passed through.

There are use cases like office systems and so on, but responsible VoIP providers don't let you just set any outbound caller ID, only numbers you have rights to use.

It needs to be cleaned up, as it's causing mayhem and must be trawling in serious amount of money too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭boombang

Not knowing the tech here, presumably the networks should have the capacity to differentiate between a genuine Irish mobile network call vs a scam VOIP or are they just being too lazy to implement effective controls?

• Advertisement

They possibly don’t at present, but the capability needs to be developed.

Caller ID is generally pretty simple. There’s metadata sent along side phone calls, one field of which contains the originating phone number and a flag that tells you whether or not to display it.

In the past, only telephone exchanges, belonging to big phone companies, could connect to those networks and directly send data, but nowadays we’ve a vast array of small VoIP providers interconnected and in some jurisdictions, they’re totally unregulated and can just send anything. Without any regulation, you can send anything you like in the caller ID field and the system at the far end will just display it.

The problem is the protocol never envisaged a world where there were untrustworthy sources of Caller ID. It’s a system that dates from the 1980s and 90s, the technology is modern but the protocol and design concept isn’t.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,473 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

I know that ! I mean when another irish number rings my irish number it comes up 087/5/6 etc XXX. NOT 353 XXX

It depends on your network. I think 3 Ireland always displays incoming calls in full +353 format, while Vodafone and Eir don't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,598 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

The Irish must be suckers coz I'm constantly getting calls to a non published LL, 2 or 3 a day (the number is for a new business not gone live yet) - answer machine kicks in and they don't realise so I sometimes end up with about 30 secs of Indians talking

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,509 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,530 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Well if you need to interact with it then check the URL or go through the website you ordered from.

I find the genuine ones don't need you to login and use the parcel id to track your item.

I think it's very easy to tell the fake ones from the genuine ones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭Glaceon

I agreed with everything you posted until the last paragraph. The numbers are completely spoofed so reporting or blocking them will affect some innocent person who really owns the number.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,611 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

the robot Amazon call are the worst, the other one is some dolt in India asking about an Amazon Coffee maker.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,073 ✭✭✭Cordell

It won't, nothing will be done because nothing can be done.

Something to watch https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VrKW58MS12g

• Advertisement

I just got a call from a number with the prefix (038), it said Ireland, I answered and there was nobody on the other end.

Presume it’s a scam but where even is 038 in Ireland, not sure that exists as a prefix?

It doesn’t exist, most likely inserted an invalid fake number. I wonder if they mistyped 083 as 038?

Post edited by Glaceon on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,815 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

could be a masked number pretending to be from ireland but really from the back arse, could also be an automated call testing for active numbers, answering confirms this, i.e. as others have said, dont answer unusual numbers or blocked numbers, they ll leave a message if important

If you report a number as a scam number in a call blocking app, then anyone else using these apps could find that the real owner of this number is blocked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,512 ✭✭✭Wheety

Anyone getting a load from 'London' now? Initially I thought I had missed a genuine call but 4 in 2 days and all different numbers make me think it's more scam calls. If it was a business surely it would be the same number.

a lot of 0044 calls coming in, but i suspect most arent actually uk calls at all, all masked numbers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,512 ✭✭✭Wheety

Ah yeah, I understand the number spoofing, that's why I put London in quotes. It's not only me getting these ones then.

Yeah thats just messing.

Something can be done, but only at the govt level. As per the link I posted early. They can chase the money.

But it will get to the point where it makes the phone systems dysfunctional.

no i know others getting them also, apparently rampant at the moment, very frustrating

interesting podcast on it

https://player.fm/series/in-the-news-2930202/irelands-phone-scam-plague

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,738 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

I've been getting scam parcel delivery notice texts on my iphone. Had never heard of this before. Obviously a very minor irritant but I'[m wondering is there some virus on my phone that's enabling it...

Advertisement