Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,296 ✭✭✭✭rob316

That's fair, but we have a once in a generation manager and a word class front XI put together on some smart buying and selling. There is potential there for further success, not investing a little bit in your asset from a position of strength is shortsighted IMO, you will end up paying more at a later time rebuilding the squad.

What happens if we finish outside of the CL places? That's like 60m less in revenue, the vultures circle for your best players, once you fall out of it, its hard to get back in unless you throw money at it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,710 ✭✭✭54and56

All true but in a race where the other competitors are financially doping you can't compete by trying to out finance them or even match their financial outlays, you have to work smarter and harder hance we spend the cash on wages (2nd highest payroll in the PL) which benefits players and makes us more attractive to rising star type players (if identified and recruited early enough) rather than spunking on transfer fees which don't benefit the player and only strengthens other competitors if they are in the PL or CL.

Smart is sustainable long term, spunking by a vanity owner isn't.

• Administrators Posts: 54,113 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I wonder how different things would have turned out if David Moores had sold to DIC instead of Hicks and Gillette.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

That's a fair point, apart from a few lunatics, no one is expecting the club to spend hundreds of millions like City, and Chelsea are, that's totally unrealistic, we'd be bankrupt in no time, all most sensible fans are asking for is a little more investment in players, (15 -20 million a season) we are being outspent by a lot of the league over the last few seasons, (even by clubs who spent a season or two in the championship) not just our direct title rivals, we can only sustain that for so long before we'll see it on the pitch . We rarely us the loan system to bolster weaknesses in our squad, preferring to do without or rely on unproven youngsters, it cost us last season, yet, we don't appear to have learned the lesson. Once Klopp goes it'll become much more noticeable.

No one looking for massive money to be spent, couple of players youngish with potential. Long term is great but their is a short term need too, the squad isn't strong enough to compete. An bad injury to fabinho, or front 3/4 and we are bolloxed lets be honest. Klopp as brilliant as he is, has wrung everything he can out of this group of players.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,930 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

We have seen Klopp & Edwards have their targets and if they can't get those targets in one transfer window they won't waste money on a lesser player they will wait till that player or a player of that standard is available.

We have seen with the Minamino & Davies, being bought on the cheap and not being up to the level needed for the current squad you could even say the same abut Shaq, They can then bee seen a investment players but now Covid is here they aren't even that.

I'd much rather get the right players when we are clearly on a budget than just spend money to get a new body in and I'm glad Klopp & Edwards see it that way as well.

Youngish with potential = Jones and Elliott or what would you be thinking of spending such that they'd be both good enough to cover for the front 3 (we rarely play with all four of Salah, Firmino, Mane and Jota) whilst also not being massive money?

Any such transfers this summer you can point to which meet those criteria?

The major problem for me with the lack of investment is how easy it is for a team to go into a slide that is hard to get out of. IMO even the best teams need some fresh faces injected every year to keep things ticking over, it's natural to see some attrition in players as they age and fall out of form. If you want sustained success you need to keep incrementally changing the squad with players that are seen as starting players.

We don't want to end up back in the position where we're 3 or 4 players short of being a title challenging team again. We all know what that feels like, and how long it took us to sort that out.

For all the talk about "sustainable", last season this squad finished in the top 4 by the skin of it's teeth. Injuries played a part, we are only very slightly less vulnerable to the same problem this year thanks to having one more centre half.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,365 ✭✭✭.red.

I see a lot about us having the 2nd highest payroll in the league. I'm assuming that's the whole squad and not just the first 11.

Fair enough the starters are paid a ridiculous salary, but our bench constantly looks weak and void of any real options.

The first 11 picks itself, the only change might be Jota in. Our non starters are taking home huge money and doing fcuk all to earn any of it.

If Origi broke a leg and missed a year of football he'd realistically miss 3/4 games. Taki is probably the same. Naby and Ox are constantly nursing some kind of an injury.

That's a serious chunk of money wasted every month and could probably cover the wages of 2 exceptional young players plus an established 25/26yo who would get game time and help freshen up the team when we have 3 games a week.

Exceptional young players can also can also end up constantly nursing some kind of injury, Naby brought in aged 23 for big money being the perfect example.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,305 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

The whole squad and full time staff 900 odd people, every club has players on their books they would like to move on but it's difficult to do, sure we still have karius. The good thing is fsg are looking at increasing income to keep the club sustainable going forward, with covid it has been running at a loss.

Do those who want FGS out really think there is a billionaire out there that would pay £3b+ and then fund the club with another billion or two realistically?

They are billionaires for a reason they don't throw £4/5 billion into vanity projects especially ones where they won't make money out of it unless they leverage the club and gut it.

The only ones who have £4/5 billion to throw away on a vanity project are nation states who need to sports wash the evil out of there Countries name and there aren't many of them left now who will do that now.

Would those who don't care about an nation state sports washing have an issue with say the Taliban buying Liverpool to help them put a nice shine on there name and Afghanistan's using the tens of billions take will make from the drug trade now they have total control there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,106 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

I'm not sure if other clubs also include all staff in their annual reports too, along with pension & insurance costs. The one thing that annoyed me about that Swiss Ramble thread, but I guess it's coming from the official end of year accounts, is that there is no breakdown of what costs were actual playing squad members.

The total Liverpool 'staff costs ' shows £325m, but really only £289m of this is actual salary costs, and we don't even know how much of that is playing staff.

If you were to take this £289m figure as only playing staff, and for arguments sake lets say there is 35 playing staff. That would put everyone earning over £150,000 every week. That just isn't happening and is not correct. I'd take a guess that there are some very high director salaries in that figure, along with a lot of scouting & analysis costs plus the high coaching staff costs. Klopp is one of the best paid managers around too, and deservedly too I should add.

So even if we took it as directors, coaches, youth team players & 700 odd other staff making up a total annual cost of around £85m, and for arguments sake lets say that £25m was paid out for squad bonuses for winning multiple trophies during that accounting year, then the playing staff wage costs would be closer to £180m, spread across around those 35 players. An average of around £100,000 a week is probably closer to the mark for the senior squad.

Since we won the league we have added 2 players that we know are good enough to push the starting XI (Konate unknown yet), Thiago and Jota. We have also lost Shaqiri and Gini. The squad is still the 2018 one and is weaker and older now. 3 years is along time in football

Look I'm not moaning, I understand we have a budget and I believe FSG are the ideal owners. I'm merely frustrated with the fact, I have waited for 25 years for this manager and team and we just aren't maxing its potential. This squad was miles ahead of Chelsea and United but they have caught up.

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭BillyHasMates

Who on this thread wants FSG out? No offence but I don't get posts like this. I don't think anyone has posted about wanting rid of the owners, unless you are referring to twitter. It is perfectly ok to post frustrations about our perceived lack of spending on freshening up the squad and strengthening weaknesses in it without having the stance of wanting owners out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

covid destroyed what could have been imo...crest of a wave and everything in the world changed.

bastid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,042 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Definitely true, the swing in income has been huge, from a likely very healthy profit, to a painful loss and stunted momentum.

But, looking at it the other way, imagine if it had happened a season earlier and our momentum was killed just after finishing second with 97 points. Imagine if that win never happened... my god, the heartbreak if we'd not been able to push on and win last year. So, putting on my optimist hat, at least we got that all important big win before the world caught fire.

I still think we'll be in the hunt this year, but we definitely need a fair few things to fall in our favour.

I really don't think we'll be in the hunt. If we are, you are all free to dig this post out in April!

I think this season is going to be pretty similar to last, a fight for top 4. Van Dijk is back for us, but City, Chelsea and United have all improved and I fear we have too many other players past their peaks that we are still completely reliant upon. If Salah picks up a long term injury then our goose is pretty much cooked.

On the Covid subject, I think this one is being over-egged. Even looking at those Swiss Ramble figures, the estimation is that Covid cost us ~150million in income over two seasons, with an annual income of almost 1 billion in that time. While it has certainly cost us money, the idea it has put a halt on quality transfers seems far-fetched to me and an easy excuse to hide behind. A 15% reduction in income is significant but hardly the total game changer that is being suggested.

Haven't seen anyone on here wanting FSG out, just looking for a very modest ( by EPL standards) investment in players, some on here would have you believe FSG aren't making a cent out of Liverpool, yet, in the next sentence will praise their shrewd business acumen. Shrewd business men don't invest in something and stick around if it's not worth their while. I've no problem with that whatsoever, fair play to them, but, we are letting a golden opportunity slip through our fingers, we have a world class team and manager that need a few additions to the squad (even on loan) to sustain our challenges for major honours. We are close enough to the top that for a relatively modest outlay the rewards could be huge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,582 ✭✭✭mormank

While of course it was nice that we won the league in 2020 finally for me it may as well have never happened. After waiting 30 years, with the majority of my friends during that period being loud cocky Utd fans, I never got to do any of the things I was planning for so many years to do including spending a week or so in Liverpool celebrating that title win. So for me we need to win another while Klopp is still here or else it may as well have never happened.

• Advertisement

I think one of the hidden costs of COVID was the inability to sell players for fees that the club would have banked on getting. The likes of Southampton, Crystal Palace, Newcastle, Burnley etc who would have bought players from Liverpool didn't have the cash readily available to spend and buy some of the squad players for the prices Liverpool wanted. It was even harder to sell to the mid-table clubs in the European countries.

In 2019/2020, Harry Wilson scored 7 PL goals for Bournemouth and even though they were relegated, he gave a good account of himself overall. The club expected to be able to sell him for around £20m. Clubs didn't have that sort of money to spend - Burnley offered £12m which was nearly half the asking price and it was declined, so he went on loan again, this time to the Championship before. He then left this summer for £12m to Fulham after the club just decided to take the offer as it was the best option for both parties.

Minamino was rumored to be going to Southampton this summer for over £20m after his loan spell, but Southampton did not have that sort of money to spend on the player and instead chose a HG option to spend the Ings money on his replacement. Likewise Liverpool wanted around £10m for Neco Williams but again Southampton chose the cheaper option in Livramento from Chelsea.

The club would have wanted similar amounts for Shaqiri, selling for around £15-20m. But the foreign clubs did not have this sort of money to spend, and again a reduced fee was eventually accepted.

Nat Philips was probably priced out of a move at £15m where the likes of Newcastle couldn't get the funding to buy him and while some clubs could afford to buy Origi, they couldn't also afford his higher wages and so instead choose to spend similar transfer fees on players with lower wages ed Edouard from Celtic. A similar transfer fee, lower wages and potentially a better player. More on- field risk, more reward, but less financial risk.

Pre COVID, there was probably some German club that would have paid the £2m for Karius.

You're looking at around £65m-£70m extra in sales there that the club could have brought in and re-invested into the squad.

It's being reported today that Klopp himself blocked the club signing Neuhaus as Gini's replacement and Gladbach were ready to sell him for £21m and Neuhaus wanted to join Liverpool.

Naby Lad is on a plane back to Liverpool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

Whilst it wasn't as good a celebration as I'd envisaged...it was still glorious for me, especially after thinking the prior years total points we could never top , strolling the league was a magnificent 9 months for me..they knew it was coming ..I knew..for months I had that grin on my face and they knew why...

Glorious for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,417 ✭✭✭.G.

The club accounts every single year show you where the clubs money goes and it isn't going to FSG. Nor does their money go to the club aside from capital spend projects like the main stand and the training centre. The clubs money is the clubs money and as the Swiss ramble thing shows, the club spent it. He has threads every year when our accounts come out. Its all there. FSG have never invested in the playing squad so I'm not sure why people expect them to now or expect them to have to do in the future if we fall away from the top 4. It would be a complete change in their business model. As far as I'm aware they don't do it with any of their sports teams.

They bought us and then appointed excellent people in various jobs inside the club and those people along with the money the club earns itself got Liverpool to the top table again and if they fall away that's how Liverpool will have to get itself back up. Granted it gets much harder to do now when state backed clubs can lash unlimited cash everywhere. We can pine for them to invest money all we want, its not happening and nor is a golden goose going to buy us and do it either. The biggest killer fir us was not our own covid losses it was everyone else's as we had nobody to flog our shite players to or to flog a star for huge money to allow a rebuild.

United are the benchmark, they don't have Arab owners and have a huge debt to service and still can comfortably spend every summer because their commercial income is gargantuan and has been for 2 decades. That's the target for LFC, get to that level of commercial wealth. Winning makes that a heck of a lot easier of course!

They've been both shrewd businessmen, AND haven't taken money out of the club. And they've been shrewd businessmen because they didn't take money out of the club. The got an asset at a low price, wiped off the debts, and then put people and practices in place to help the club to grow naturally - like guaranteeing our loans so we didn't have massive interest rates etc. And as a result, the club is worth 10 times what they paid for it. Taking money out would've hindered the longer term growth, and cost them money in the grand scheme of things. They don't not take money out because they're altruistic, they leave it there because it's financially prudent. They've already made their money back by selling a small portion to redbird, and I'd hope that's how their ownership will continue - finding partners who's involvement benefits (or at least doesn't detract from) the club, and selling off chunks to them.

We'd all like if they threw additional external funds at it too, but ultimately I'm content if the club is allowed to simply operate on its own terms - for better or worse - with all the infrastructural benefits the owners bring (significantly improved sponsorships, partnerships, and marketing etc).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,582 ✭✭✭mormank

Haha. Don't get me wrong, the 9 months leading up to the title win were glorious! That win at Leicester only a few days after winning the club world cup was exceptional and being 15-20 points clear in Feb/March, everything was great that year but of all the years for the world to just close the way it did was just typical Liverpool right??

I remember my housemate asked me in December 2019 how it feels to finally know we are gonna win the league (non liverpool fans were far more confident we would win it than we let ourselves be) and I joked that the world would end before Liverpool won a title...I was kinda right! 😐️

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭BillyHasMates

No doubt they are great at managing the finances of the club but there also has to be a balancing act between getting the finances right and trying to maximise the opportunity for on field success. The end of this season will show whether they have got it right. I think we have decided to ride our luck in the hope certain key players stay injury free and a few others somehow rediscover their best form in order to remain financially prudent.

If a scrap for 4th is the best we manage this season then I think we have blown the chance to capitalize on the CL and league win and we will find it even more difficult to get back to the top. We will also be a season closer to losing Klopp with the possibilty of a rebuild to the squad. If there is not investment at this point then I fear us slipping back to CL qualification being our goal each season. It's a hypothetical scenario but one I fear happening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,287 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Van Dijk hobbled off in the challenge that led to the Turkish goal tonight. Fingers crossed.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,723 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Van Gaal said VVD is "a little bit injured" according to Sky Sports News

As long as it's not serious we should be fine for a few games if need be, Matip, Gomez and Konate all available and Philips too if required.

He said he is fine in a post match interview.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭giveitholly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,305 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

Gomez is a forgotten man, international duty.......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,287 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,396 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

third kit released this morning. Goalkeeper jersey is nice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,496 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

I think it was someone here who said the collar and sleeve trim made it look like a uniform for a fast food restaurant, I see they've leaned into that with the set for the photo shoot 😋

It's grand, but nothing special

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,826 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

Welcome to Wowburger….. can I take your order please haha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,496 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

The weekend is going to be very interesting ,

No way VVD plays the next 3 games even more so because he played last night , Matip probably won;t either so interesting to see how gets a game,

Next few weeks will really tell us about the squad ,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,798 ✭✭✭Ken Tucky

Don't know whats worse...The jersey or the promo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

This is a bit ridiculous...

Richarlison can play because of good relationship between Everton and the Brazilian FA?

It's madness! But they can do it. It happened with Matip before too because he didn't want to play in the AFCON so he was suspended for the duration of the tournament instead and not allowed play any football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

But they couldn't have played anyway ? The four Argentina lads got arrested because they came form England .

Makes no sense

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

It's all very strange....

Mad that they can do that...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Daemonic

The quarantine rules the Argentinian players fell foul of only applies to non-Brazilians traveling to Brazil from the UK so they could have played... for 8 minutes before the match was suspended.

It's only going to get worse as FIFA have approved internationals to allow Brazil etc. catch up on qualifiers in January during the PL mid-season break. Klopp will love that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,396 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Liverpool and Leeds should just play their Brazilian players. We can't both lose 3-0.

I can’t believe they’ll uphold the same stuff during Covid though - everything’s more complicated now, from the quarantining times, to the inherent issues with ‘forcing’ players to go to countries where Covid is totally out of control. The reality is they’re waaaay more likely to pick up Covid on international duty in Brazil, which effects their health but also their livelihood.

Hopefully they’ll find a compromise..

Tell FIFA to do one and play the lads.

• Advertisement
Advertisement