Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mayo GAA Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,734 ✭✭✭muddle84

The majority of them are tied to a club lotto though aren't they? I always wondered why they doubled up that way but now I know!!!

Would I be right in saying that if you win in these raffles you still have to buy the ticket, so technically you win the ticket allocation, not the ticket itself. That must be the loophole around the terms you were talking about on the ticket @irishgeo

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Well in the ST raffle you win the right to buy a ticket. But the raffles are saying "to be won", so they can't charge u when u have paid to enter the draw?

I have never won one that way so I'm not sure. But I seen someone here say that their dad won a ticket in the breaffy raffle one year and was disgusted when he found out he actually had to buy the ticket from the club after winning the raffle. I was wondering with these raffles is it the same as the season ticket raffle?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,345 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

He wasn't disgusted, how could you be getting your hands on tickets... He just found it very unusual and "a bit Irish" as he would say, that he had only won a chance to purchase tickets.

And it was unusual, if you're buying into a raffle and a club is making thousands on it, the winning tickets are almost always free.

The Season Ticket draw was obviously much different, there was no money raised / entry fee.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Lads, does anyone know if it's a draw when the replay is scheduled for? Ive holidays coming up in 2 weeks and afraid to book anything just in case

I'd imagine it would be the normal two weeks so probably the weekend of the 25th?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Sebastian Dangerfield

Even if McLaughlin is fit, I can't see him starting. If Mullin is fit I think he'll be joined in the HB line by Durcan and Coen, maybe McLaughlin in as an impact sub against tiring legs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,426 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

I'm really getting excited about this now.

Just looking back on the two SFs the extra two weeks for Mayo I think has been very handy.

It has given them the time to get down off the high of beating Dublin, and lets admit they would have been on a high and right so, and then also have had two week to concentrate on their opponent.

Tyrone don't have that luxury and they to would have been on a high from beating Kerry.

Also looking at the two games it I think there is a big difference around how the two winning teams where in control of them.

Obviously Mayo stood off Dublin early on, but once they took control 10min into the second half, they never relinquished it, Dublin only got 4 points in 60mins, and even though a last gasp free brought Mayo to ET that free was all part of reducing the 6 point deficit or whatever it was.

Tyrone were never really in control of their SF, and it could have gone either way down to the last minute.

Kerry lead by 3 in the 68th minute, it was the 2nd Tyrone goal that saved them at that stage.

And even in ET Tyrone went 5 up I think and it was whittled back down to 1.

Now as discussed on one of the podcasts it's unlikely that Mayo will play the same 'rope-a-dope' v Tyrone that they did v Dublin (and you could say Galway also).

So the anticipation is that they will take the game to Tyrone from the start, and have Tyrone chasing the game.

Over all I think Mayo have a better team and squad than Tyrone, I think they are more experienced and just better. I think them being favorites reflects that.

I think Tyrone are flatterer by Kerry.

They just about got past a ill prepared, overrated Kerry, where as Mayo came back against a strong (albeit declining) Dublin and controlled the game from early in the 2nd half.

All of that of course is with a huge amount of confirmation bias towards Mayo, but sure why not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

I heard our president will be taking his 2 digs Misneacht and Brod to the final. Shameful to see a Galway fella using up 3 priceless tickets in this fashion just becos he has to do a elbow tap with the players before throw-in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 DavidL22

Saw somewhere scheduled for the weekend after? (Sunday)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,256 ✭✭✭✭km79

It’s seems extra time is now back on the cards according to the official GAA website

They really don’t know whether they are coming or going at this stage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,529 ✭✭✭irishgeo

That's always been there. But prenty said it's a replay.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Silent night

Hope it's not true but Looks like Mattie ruane may have a broken wrist

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,354 ✭✭✭naughto

1st time posting in the gaa/ mayo thread and you come out with that

• Registered Users Posts: 7 DavidL22

Not his first time, but think you've to go back to Dec 2020 for his last post here

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Silent night

Yes it maybe i don't bother just follow it's what I heard form a reliable source hoping it may not be true

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭spakman

Heard that couple of weeks ago, but if there was any truth in it I'm sure Aidan Henry would have let everybody know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭ultrapercy

No that's the problem, if there was no truth in it Aiden Henry would have let everyone know.

Great insights from Seamie O'S and Chris B in the latest Mayo News podcast.

I'm expecting a very cagey affair for the first half from listening to it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,527 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

Hopefully these words don't come back to bite me but I can't see Mayo conceding 3 goals like Kerry did. Those 3 Tyrone goals were fairly soft with players just waltzing through the Kerry defence. I think Tyrone will need goals to win this game as in a point scoring shoot out I would favour Mayo. So if Mayo can do like they did against Dublin and stop the goals and win the battle of attrition they have a great chance. Mayo have to be fresher given the 4 week break. 4 weeks is about right as any longer and they'd be rusty!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

Replay is down for the 19th, after extra time if needed the first day. I don't think we'll put Tyrone through all that though!!!😃

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,793 ✭✭✭Raoul

Can you add me to the list please? I am a long term Boardsie. The ticket wouldn't be for me but for my sister in law who is a Mayo ST holder.

It really frustrates me to see all these draws and raffles making money when ST holders who have gone to all the games and some of them travelled all across the country (not this year) can't get tickets.

And you can take me off the list.

I have decided to head for Mayo rather than looking for a ticket.

Hopefully it will be a special night in Mayo on Saturday.

Mayo have had a habit of conceding goals though.

Galway had two in the first half.

Remember the chances Tipp created early last year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭BandMember

Can you add me to this list as well, please? ST holder for years, but went to every game I could anyway, so the ST was a great bonus. Never missed a final yet (apart from last year obviously) and I REALLY don't want this to be one!! It's a sickening and depressing place to be - ticketless with hope fading fast as game day approaches......

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Call me Al

Dyou know I'm betwixt and between here too.

Even if I got a ticket I'd probably be there on my own.

Head to Mayo and the whole clan will be there. That's a very tempting prospect, so what's not to love!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭SomethingElse

+1 for the list just in case something comes up! The hunt isn't looking good so far

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Current boardsie looking for tickets

fowler87

blockfighter

Irishgeo

sebastian dangerfield

muddle84

BandMember

Raoul

Blackjack

happyoutscan

paddb1975

mayo.mick

mrs gilhooley

SomethingElse

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,654 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Would you mind adding me to that list as well yop? Long time lurker here! Myself and my cousin have being going to games together for years and neither of us have managed to get a ticket this time. Will likely head up anyway and hope for the best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 265 ✭✭pdiddy

Can ya add myself to the list as well please, could never get a season ticket because they were always sold out and my contacts that have sourced tickets before have all came up dry, it's bad when my only hope is a few prize draws and raffles

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭Crybabygeeks

The constant ticket talk is really taking the joy out of the run up I feel. It's all consuming. Such a shame that so many dedicated (both financially and in attendance) supporters won't get to be there.

Anyway. Onwards we go. I'm resigned to the couch at this stage. Maigh Eo Abu!

I'm like one of the posters above can't decide between the pub or the couch if I can't get a golden ticket.

The couch offers a better view of the telly and being able to listen to the half time analysis but the pub offers a much better atmosphere and Pints

Decisions decisions

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

So what's posters thoughts on the match 15?

Will Michael Plunkett lose out to Enda Hession?My gut says Enda will be left in reserve.

Oisin will obviously start if fully fit,bring in otherwise.

Don't know what to believe re Eoghan,much speculation that the double jaw fractures were'nt as severe in nature as initially thought.Query hairline fractures.

Still borderline incredulous that he'll start with even the 4 week turnaround.

Bionic man.

The medical care via the maxillo facial unit in St. James's Hospital was of the highest order by all accounts.

Could Darren McHale be the man to lose out on a starting berth?

Will Brendan Harrison be back to his best and ready for some meaningful game time if called upon?

So many potentially fascinating matchups.

Padraig O Hora to take McCurry?

Much speculation Meyler will attempt to stymie Paddy?

Lee taking up Donnelly.

Hession/Plunkett taking McKenna.

Peter Harte matching up with Kevin Mc.

Lots of sticky defenders in the Tyrone full back line Hampsey,McNamee who'll make life very difficult for Tommy Conroy and Ryan O Donoghue.

I speculate Aidan will spend the majority of time drifting between the middle and centre forward but may on occasion go inside to offer the lads a bit of physical support.

I'm hoping we'll have an edge i lar na pairce.

2 very decent benches.Can Darren Coen shoot the lights out uponst his introduction?

Yikes McShane,Tiernan McCann,Rory Brennan,Darragh Canavan and Mark Bradley to come in.

So many imponderables.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,256 ✭✭✭✭km79

You can add me to the list as well Yop

Getting fairly desperate now. Relying on winning random kilkenny hurling raffles !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭blockfighter

I've opted for the house but watching with a few friends to generate that atmosphere. I live in Dublin though and they know that if a last minute ticket did appear on the day I'd be out that door like lightning. Haha!

So I am hearing a few more getting tickets. One of the 2 I was looking for have been sorted, so its down to 1 now and then after that I will post any I hear or can get access to up here, I'd still be confident lads will get them though. List here is growing though!

fowler87

Crybabygeeks

PDiddy

KM

Extra Gravy

blockfighter > Will I take you off?

Irishgeo

sebastian dangerfield

muddle84

BandMember

Raoul

Blackjack

happyoutscan

paddb1975

mayo.mick

mrs gilhooley

SomethingElse

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

I thought I'd be ok not getting a ticket, but I'm starting to go **** demented.

Could you add me to the list as well please Yop

Was listening to the Andy Moran and Flynn podcast earlier and even they cudnt decide on player match ups.

Can't see Eoghan playing but would love to see him coming on in second half.

Hopefully Hession is kept in reserve for his pace in the second half

Don't think Mchale will start, can see Bryan Walsh coming in for him

O Shea I think will operate between the 2 45s he just won't get space at full forward. Midfield is going to be a war zone I think.

Ryan and Tommy are going to need to work hard to get space for shots hopefully the Ref calls the fouls on them.

The benches will be another brilliant battle hard to call either way but hopefully Mayo have enough to see them over the line.

• Advertisement

So many potentials but one of the key ones I feel will be Harte. I don't think they'll want him to sacrifice his game to do a job on anyone... And I think we might throw someone like Paddy or Oisin (if fit) into the HF line to try to do a job on him as well causing him a few headaches. His stock mightn't be as high as it once was but he still keeps Tyrone ticking imo. They look to him a lot and stopping him is key.

I think Horan's approach has been to "not lose" games in the first quarter/half. He's been conservative in that sense and there's a lot of merit in it. Rather than making sure we didn't concede early goals Vs Dublin, I think his MO (pun intended 😉) will be to ensure we keep ball in the first half... Make sure we don't get caught out and let them hit us on the break, a cagey approach and basically everything Kerry didn't do.

With that in mind I can see runners like Eoghan McL (if ready) and Enda H being held in reserve for a looser/more Horanball game in the second half.

If I was to try to pick his team, I think he'll go for as strong as possible middle 8 to start, lads who can control the game in the first half, lads who can slow them down as they attack through the middle...and lads that can dominate for their long kick outs.

Mullin, Coen, Durcan,

Ruane, Loftus,

McLoughs, O'Shea, Diarmuid

With one of the HBs doing a job on Harte with Diarmuid showing his versatility to balance that out... Wouldn't be surprised to see him sweeping (not full time) a lot in the first half.

Full back line will probably be Lee, O'Hora, Plunkett... They should match up well with their FF line.

Full forward line Tommy and Ryan with the third man being the key call for me... I've a feeling we might see a little surprise in the form of D Coen for the first half... It would fit into a cagey approach when we try to pick off a few medium to long range ones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

I've a feeling Darren Coen will get the start as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭flasher0030

Instead of who? McHale.

I don't think Darren has started for a while now. Could be wrong in that. He seems to do better when brought on when the game has settled a bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭dunnerc

Really think you shouldnt be getting to excited ,Mayo held Dublin to 4 points in 60 mins correct , but this wasnt Dublin from 2015-2019 , i wont include Dublin from 2020D either , i think they got lucky in 2020 , Dublin in 2021 were a spent force and in serious decline ,it was there for eveyone to see all through the league and the Leinster campaign , they were there for the taken and Meath could have and probably should have taken them out , Tyrone will be a tougher proposition and will be a lot harder to beat than a seriously in decline Dublin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,439 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

Not a hope IMO

If Mullin & McLaughlin are fit then Mullin comes in for McHale. Not sure which one goes in the half forward line though. It’s not like Horan to go maverick like that, although Higgins in the 13 final springs to mind

You are reading to much into that Mayo victory over Dublin , that Dublin camp was not in a good place and were there for the taking

Tyrone will be a different kettle of fish

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭Audioslaven

I hope he does not start Coen as I think he would be better introduced in the second half with defenders a little tired. I think we need strong runners in the first half and Coen is down the pecking order for me on that front. I think the key is to get a head of Tyrone and make them play more open. We may get a more open game if we could be a few points up.

A few musts for me is that we need Hennelly to be on top form and more importantly composed in the goals. I expect a bit of verbals also and that nobody does anything stupid that would get anyone sent off. Conroy and ROD need to get into it earlier. I don't expect our defenders to be the weak link as POH, Keegan, Durcan, Mullen, McLaughlin are as good as anyone around and to a lesser degree Coen, Hession. Our midfield are very mobile so it is the forwards we need to deliver in buckets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭dobman88

Far from it for me to be back seat modding but the new report function is shìte, so at the risk of a ban or whatever.

Would you not just let the lads in this 1 thread enjoy the build up to a final without posting this nonsense. The general 2021 championship thread is fair game but jaysus, no need for it in a county thread at all imo. Just reeks of sour grapes by yourself too.

Ah here get a grip ,a mod asked for thoughts on the match , and i gave them , no sour grapes here , my post was an honest assessment of

Mayos chances in the final

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭RedDevil55

Serious decline is a bit of an exaggeration. I don't think Dublin lost a game from pre covid to the semi final this year. They were 7 points up late in the first half against Mayo. Similar to 2015 we fought back for a draw.

• Advertisement
Advertisement