Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General chat thread... Links, pictures, banter etc

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

Great thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,252 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

For those around Cork/Munster, and maybe further out.

Rebel Riders MCC in Cork are celebrating our 25th Anniversary this month and arranging a ride on the 22nd of August.

Rebel Riders MCC 25th Anniversary Run | Facebook

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭Skill Magill

This thread used to have about 8 or more posts a day, now none in over 11 days, I hope this isn't the begining of the end, over the years I feel I've built up a certain raport with other members even though we haven't met and it saddens me, its akin to making great friends on holiday but you go home knowing you'll never meet them again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,007 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Yeah gone a bit stagnant in recent week. Looks like the update/upgrade/changes Boards made to things have settled down a bit. Hopefully people will return.

Not been biking much myself lately. Things were grand on here and plenty of useful resources. Can see things slowly getting back to normal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭horse7

Finally managed to get my feet down.

• Advertisement

The good weather has returned, time to get back out there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 657 ✭✭✭flashinthepan

Got out yesterday for a few hrs after replacing the stator

seen a fairly large group down toward the ark north roundabout was nearly tempted to join in as I passed but thought they might tell me to feck off :-) as I'm only a learner

Do AMC motorcycle in Ashbourne repair punctures?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 663 CMod ✭✭✭✭LIGHTNING

Decided to sell the NSR, due to my back I really cant ride it for more than about 15 mins before it hurts. Not worth just having it sit on the driveway.

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭robbie_63

Finally got a test date in Wexford after being on the list for the last 6 months or so, anyone done a test in Wexford?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,085 ✭✭✭✭listermint

No. I hear it's sunny and watch out for the strawberries

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,782 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Taking a bit of time to get back into the swing of things tbh. Post-hols & all that.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

After all that work

That's a pity hope you find somethin a bit more comfy :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 337 ✭✭Betsy Og

How would you upshift??? 😆

(in reference to the finally got feet down)

I fear this is probably a stupid comment....but....(I'll risk it) if bikes were made so that the clutch could be disabled when the ignition is not turned on couldn't it be a basic theft deterrent? Leave it in gear so that the back wheel is locked (unless they get the chain off), so a bit like a disc lock. I know the advice is to lock it to something immovable ....& at the end of the day they could strip the bike or cut stuff off anyway, but but..... on the basis that most theft prevention is making it awkward for them, slowing them down, wouldn't it help?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭Wossack

in practice would it do much more then a steering lock does already?

I guess 2 lads can lift the front and wheelie it away, if the back wheel was locked up they'd literally have to carry it (or pop it on a cart/dolly)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭Wossack

Think a common enough one was to get the front wheel (in the case of a steering lock) onto a biscuit tin lid and man handle it somewhere more secluded to be worked over

same could be used if the back wheel was locked up methinks

the one I’d be worried about is it just getting lifted into the back of a van - why the preference is for the big F off chain. All the steering locks, immobilisers, hidden kill switches, disc locks, clutch lock up mechanisms etc won’t protect against sadly

Currently looking for a new helmet. Whats the story with buying from the uk. Take this helmet https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_prod/382189 whats likely to be the extra charges? Vat etc?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,007 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Not sure about fees but Visor shop have it listed. Certain sizes not in but lead time given. No extra fees

https://www.thevisorshop.com/Mobile/en/ie/Scorpion-Exo-1400-Carbon-Motorcycle-Helmet/m-m-26101.aspx

Seems to be near enough the same price. Thats if I add 23% vat and do a sterling to euro conversion

Don't do it

Got fleeced by an post for €14.50 on a 48 euro part from uk + the 6.50 they charge to deliver ( addresspal ) so that's €21 almost half of the cost of the part on a 48 yoyo transaction tis a feckin joke

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭myclist

No vat or duties from the visor shop to the republic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 277 ✭✭enrique66_35

Bought a part from a UK site (couldn't be got here) for €148 and was charged €50 in import charges by FedEx and delivery delayed a day as I hadn't paid by 8AM for release. I'd be slow to buy from the UK now as any saving is likely to be wiped out by the customs & VAT cost. Might be worth looking further afield as well at the likes of louis.eu or xlmoto etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,085 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Buying from the UK. ? You might as well buy from Japan. These days.

There's lots of news about an Amazon fulfillment center in Ireland in the papers, will this help us ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 663 CMod ✭✭✭✭LIGHTNING

Well the NSR is gone to a new home. Jesus the amount of time wasters on DoneDeal, I forgot how bad it was. Now to decide what bike I would like to replace the CB500X with as well.

First thoughts

1) Royal Enfield Interceptor

2) Moto Guizzi V7 IV Stone

3) MT07

Basically it has to be comfy i.e no sports bikes. There is nothing wrong with the CB500X but I am not doing any touring or any sort of light off roading on it so its a bit of a waste.

Post edited by LIGHTNING on

Advertisement