Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leo Varadkar story in The Village??? - Mod Notes and banned Users in OP updated 16/05

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Getting a bit silly now mark, sometimes it's best to own the spoof.

You obviously and evidently "used it" as a reference point yesterday alone, and (no I won't be bothering my hole to "link to them") countless times on this site before that too. I haven't looked but you have probably even used it inside the last 12 hours on here.

In comparison, I "don't have" a Wikipedia account, but I'll often use it as a reference point, or research tool.

You have absolutely no problem in the world "using Twitter" when it's to back up some mundane point you're trying to make, or to goad/bait "bantz" I think is your buzz word.

I'll leave it with you.

Post edited by McMurphy on

• Registered Users Posts: 19,476 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Stop digging Francie, it’s unbecoming of a supposed grown up person.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,838 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

• Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭Shebean

TBF they've had a bad couple of weeks and have lost their trousers. All they have is pretending people were believing the government jet story, even though they know full well it's barrel scraping looking for a win. There's no wins for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,914 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,890 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

There was no due diligence in taking the witterings of a nonentity and repeating them, that is the issue I have with it.

I mean, if I was to come on here and say that a man down the pub told me that Francie Brady was seen in a hotel with a woman not his wife, you would be outraged that I was repeating a nonsensical allegation. By repeating something, you give credibility to it. Pretending that saying you are not sure it it is true absolves you of the responsibility is nonsense.

A man claiming to be a journalist posts a scurrilous accusation on Twitter and you repeat it with the prefix "if true", gives credibility to the scurrilous accusation and takes credibility away from your seriousness as a poster. That is all.

It is getting a bit silly around here when even the most speculative scurrilous nonsense on Twitter is being seized upon with breathless anticipation by the permanently outraged.

You treat allegation as fact on this site. I don't and never do, even though it might suit me to. And at no stage did I treat this breaking story as fact or share the source material, due to my own standards. I posted every single post I made to prevent lies being told about them.

I don't care or pay the slightest credence to what you have issue with. As a result of your previous behaviour you don't get to take the high moral ground here, not with me anyhow.

End of interaction with you on this.

No, let's be clear here. I do not treat allegations as fact. What I do is look at the credibility of the allegation, the credibility of the source, the context of the allegation, and apply critical judgement before deciding whether, on the basis of probability, that I am inclined to believe the allegation. If I find any of those criteria to fail, then I won't go near the allegation. However, if I am inclined to believe the allegation, I will discuss it and repeat it. That does not make it fact, only that my opinion finds the allegation credible. I stand over my judgement in that regard.

You will not find me using "if true" to allow me to repeat the most baseless scurrilous allegation from a nonentity on Twitter. I won't be taken for a fool by such. Standards, my friend, standards.

How about Gerry being in the 'RA, that a fact? You certainly like to peddle it. All you are saying here is it's okay to mention allegations if you believe they might be credible 😁

People posted about an as yet unconfirmed, later debunked story and ye lads are clinging to it for dear life because the top three lads in FG are found out for being liars engaging in cronyism and Varadkar also criticised the UK reopening, said we shouldn't be following it, but attended a festival in the UK all the while allowing our own events remain closed.

But sure go on, people read about a story and mentioned it, while making clear it wasn't verified.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,656 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Sorry blanch but you have made unfounded allegations on here before about Maurice McCabe and Michael D Higgins, you werent able to back them up and you refused to retract them. Where were your standards then? They were non existent so Im not sure what you are doing up on your high horse going on about standards when trying to twist Francies words into something they were not. At no point did he or anyone on this forum state that the Varadkar jet story was true, if Im wrong then prove it by posting up the quote. Otherwise you are just blustering here.

Just stating facts, yet you dismiss this. Care to show that what I said is wrong?

His rationale reads like that of a totalitarian police force...we are gonna believe what we want.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,249 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Take Zappone discussion to the dedicated thread

The fact that they lied and were caught out lying, more than once in Coveney's case, can't be acknowledged by them because the next step would be accountability and they don't hold themselves to account. I blame Martin and Ryan for allowing Fine Gael get all Fine Gaely.

Michael D Higgins???? What are you talking about?

As for McCabe, some of what I said was backed up in the reports, some was not. I was clear on that.

I am not the only person who holds the opinion that Gerry was in the 'RA. I would guess that most people on this island hold the same opinion. Balance of probabilities suggests that he is, especially as he has never sued anyone for saying he was in the 'RA, despite him being quick to sue on other issues.

You called Michael D Higgins "a danger to humanity" on here as well you know. Which strangely enough would be a pretty similar opinion held by the far right group who were issuing him with death threats earlier in the summer, that's some bedfellows you've got there blanch.

So where's your so called standards now because I don't see any with that type of posting.

Oh yeah, that malign twist on my words. I had forgotten about your crusade on that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,476 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Seems to be the ‘Good Republicans’ best line of defense Mr B.

Accuse one of something one didn’t say.

Carry on.

• Advertisement

Well you actually claimed he was a lot worse than a 'danger to humanity', you claimed he he had actually caused a lot of damage.

You could ask the same of Higgins, and arguably by eulogising the likes of Castro and Chavez, Higgins has actually caused a lot of damage to humanity.

Post 859 here https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2057890154/so-michael-d-is-running-again/p29

That's the one Francie, blanch is fine with holding the same views as the Irish far right who were literally issuing him death threats but then rides in here on a high horse going on about posting standards. The hypocrisy is astounding.

Maybe he will enlighten us as to what damage Higgins has caused to humanity? I won't hold my breath 👍

Have a read of the exchange again.

Someone commented that Gallagher had done nothing for humanity in seven years. I commented (and it is a fair comment) that the same could be said of Higgins, and went further (again fair comment) that in supporting dictators like Chavez and Castro, men who should be reviled for their cruelty to fellow men, Higgins had done damage to humanity. I stand over that.

But, as your friend does, taking it out of context puts it in a different light. But, hey, I am used to that happening from certain sources.

It is never long before the homophobic references arrive around here when Leo's name is invoked. What does it matter what taste in music he has?

You claimed Higgins had actually done damage to humanity. My claim was correct.

They are your words blanch, I just find it interesting that your bedfellows are the Irish far right. And you still haven't explained how Higgins, a man who has spent his entire life fighting for social justice caused damage to humanity. Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence and you have provided none, instead preferring to throw out slurs on a persons character without being able to back it up. That's some standards blanch, maybe take a look in the mirror before you fall off that high horse.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

That's pretty damning tbh, and hard to defend. There was "twisting of words" but imo it was possibly to be kind.

Eg. Which of these two sentences sound the worse?

"I wouldn't trust him with that, as he might damage it"

"I wouldn't trust him with that, as he's already damaged it"

Ouch.

'Somebody else made me say it', isn't really an excuse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,608 ✭✭✭Fionn1952

What in the bejaysus bearing does this have on anything?

As much as it pains me to defend Varadkar, who he sleeps with and what music he listens to would be somewhere around the absolute bottom of the list of things to judge him on as a politician. I'm all for criticising the cronyism, the leaking, the talking out of both sides of his mouth....but who gives a f*ck if he listens to sh*te music and likes his partner to have swinging bits? Why should he have to hide it away to the extent that he has to, "let it out" once a year?!

It completely undermines legitimate criticism of Leo, as can be seen by one of his usual supporters jumping in and using your nonsensical post to dismiss all of the other criticism he faces.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement