Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Currently buying/selling a house? How is it going? READ MOD NOTE POST #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

No wonder people are throwing silly money at houses when it's viewed like that.

220k is a figure I'd find reasonable in a crazy market we are in now, as in I wouldn't view it worth a penny more. In a normal market, I'd say 200k, maybe 210 for a 70 sq m one would be ok.

This market is unsustainable anyways, which is why I stopped looking. Psychology is playing a big part in prices now too. look at the article in the Indo yesterday, prices set to increase by 12%. Now if you're buying, do you step back and be calm and wait for the right property at the right price for you? Or do you desperately throw money to secure a property as prices are going up up and up?

I'm quite calm about the whole thing, I currently house share and the place I'm living is more comfortable than one I'd be buying anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,691 ✭✭✭✭banie01

A neighbour of mine in Limerick City recently sold their house (within the Last month) at 35% above their asking price of the back of 2 viewings over 1 weekend.

They were happy enough to take a quick sale over a prolonged selling process as they are in a chain and had already gone sale agreed themselves on their next home.

The asking price itself was 10% over the price I paid for my similar property in mid 2006. 1980's built, 3 bed semi, in a nice area with decent sized gardens.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

Fair enough. A difference of opinion on the meaning of the word reasonable. I was thinking if it's reasonable at price X then there's a little bit of head room before you'd rule it out. Steal->Bargain->Reasonable->Reluctant->Through Gritted Teeth->No Way 😄

I'd be wary of buying into the idea that's always being peddled here that the market is unsustainable. Maybe the price rises will slow down but I don't see a single event that crashes prices any time soon like a Lehmann Brothers type thing or a dot com bubble burst. There's no runaway credit. There is a huge amount of legitimate demand and there's low supply. I don't see any of that changing dramatically any time soon. If anything, there's a chance the CB will cave to pressure and up the LTI limit to 4.5 which will only drive prices higher.

Psychology can play a part either way. You're using words like "calm" to describe one approach and words like "desperately" to describe another approach. I could rephrase it as "naively sit back and wait for the right property at the right price or shrewdly secure a property now before prices get any higher".

You don't need a crash for prices to drop. Once interest rates begin to rise, prices will fall.

Have a watch of this, it's a great 30 minutes to understand how interest rates control the economy.

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Jafin

Got a phone call this morning from the bank informing me that they had officially transferred the funds to my solicitor and that they should be with her tomorrow. All going well I should get the keys to my first apartment either tomorrow or Friday. It's been almost two years since I first stepped foot into a bank to enquire about a mortgage and there have been a lot of ups and downs along the way since then, but I got there in the end. Best of luck to everyone going through this frustrating process. It will be worth it in the end.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

Heres one for you guys.

A friend bidding on a house in Bettystown.

House was up for €430k.

Friend liked it and they bid €450k.

Other bidders bid it up to €525k.

Friend came in with a final bid of €540k and then other bid €545k. Friend dropped out.

LAst week friends wife (different surname, so agent must not have realized and put their foot in it big time) gets a call from the agent saying the bidding is now at €455k on that house and would she like to put in another bid.

Smells rotten to me. I think they were bidding against themselves. Nearly cost them €100k.

Cheers. I'll watch that later.

I'd accept that interest rate changes might play havoc with REITs involvement here which might very well impact apartment hunting in particular but at the moment, However I think the CB rules, supply, and demand are much bigger factors in controlling prices than interest rates. For so many FTBs out there, their mortgage payment is going to be significantly less than their rent. In my own case, the interest rate would have to be 4% just to cost the same as my rent was before buying. Similar sized properties, same area.

Also, you're assuming interest rates will rise. By how much? And when? Before/after supply is fixed? Will it be enough to offset the equity you might have built up in the meantime? What about all those additional FTBs who can now compete with you since prices dropped?

If prices for a 2 bed apt drop below 200k, that's into the territory of middle class parents buying their college kids a place to live rather than funding their rent. Something to bear in mind.

• Administrators Posts: 53,748 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

More likely a mistake in there somewhere.

Why would an agent ring a buyer out of the blue and offer it to them at almost 100k less than the other person bidding?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

No idea.

I figured maybe they lost their only bidder at €545 (my friend) and went back to the person who bid next highest in reality. Just happened to be the same couple and the agent never copped on.

She decided to play along anyway - put in a bid of €456K and said not to bother ringing her back if it went above that. Agent still doesnt realize its the other half of the couple who bid up to €540k a few days before.

It will be interesting to see what happens.

Appreciate buying now makes sense for some. Personally, I pay 5k on rent and I have no costs related to dishwashers, ovens, washing machines, boilers, no wear and tear costs on blinds, flooring, paint etc that would be a cost if I owned a property so I'm happy enough for now.

I'm not making predictions on interest rates but the central banks are going to keep them as low as possible as long as they can.

It's easy to say now that it's worth paying through the nose as you'll have equity etc. when prices are high. The maths always make sense if you believe the way things are now will be the way things will always be.

But attitudes would soon change if the mortgage you got for 300k was actually now a 250k mortgage. Let's take a 3% interest rate. If your mortgage was 300k, you'd pay 2.5k more per year than if the mortgage was 250k. That's a nice sun holiday for two weeks or the annual loan repayment on a 2nd car.

So now you've overpaid for a property by 50k plus you're paying 2.5k extra per year for 30 years. Total of 125k difference.

There's a whole generation of people in their 20's/early 30's who know nothing but historically low interest rates. All good things come to an end.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,219 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

We just got valuation on my late Da's house and tbh, they are having a laugh.

It's 90k more than a similar in every regard nearby house (approx 900 sq ft,3 bed/1 bath kitch/diner plus living room semi-D, built early 90s, urgent need of modernisation & insulation, windows/boiler shagged originals, Elderly person lived there for decades etc) sold for in Dec 2020, and only 20 k less than a far larger house 1100 sq ft, fully kitted out and decorated, attached garage, 2 bath/3 bed/kitchdiner/dining room/living room sold for in July.

I'd be furious if I found out I'd bought a smaller house that needs a good 20+k work done on it for 20k less than a bigger house in turnkey condition.

Realistically hse is worth 170-190k, with current price inflation raise that to 200-210k - but 250k? No way.

Fair enough if it makes sense for you to sit tight. Your living costs are lower than most and personal circumstances matter w.r.t. future plans, kids etc.

Personally, I don't believe things will always stay the way they are now by any means. I've seen ups and downs and I'm only in my late 30's. What I do know is that I would have been financially better off now had I bought in any of the previous years of my life including 2007/8 and I'm seeing nothing to convince me these hypothetical 10/15/20% drops are on the near/mid term horizon.

BTW I think you might be counting the 50k twice in your calculations. The 2.5k extra per year is because of the 50k. You don't need to pay it twice. So a total of 75k difference over 30 years not 125k.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭ec18

it's one less link though. perhaps the vendor has had sales fall through due to finance not being in place

Its the banks that are the problem in my experience, and the reason why I would always go with a cash buyer. It was the comical overcaution of my bank that nearly made my sale fall through. Almost like they didnt want the business, and were trying to find a reason not to do it. Had a clean survey and yet they were not going to lend without confirming that an 35sq m extension built at the back of the house 60 years ago (easily within the parameters that does not even need permission today), was in compliance with planning of the time. The council had lost the papers. So the they wanted someone to dig out the planning rules from the mid 1960s, and do a retrospective assessment against those rules from 6 decades ago. No-one even knew what those rules were, and eventually just lobbed a surveyor some cash to say it was okay. All parties involved thought the bank were being ridiculous. They delayed the sale months

I think that there are a lot of people out there who are 'once bitten twice shy' when it comes to a bank being involved at any stage of the process

• Registered Users Posts: 17,903 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

4 months and a day after going sale agreed, after no less than 7 different closing dates in the last month, and with one mortgage payment out of the way, we finally got our keys to our dream home yesterday (my fiance's birthday to boot!). I wouldn't wish the stress we went through in the last week on anyone, but we're finally in!

I'll document the key dates in our process over the next few days but thanks a mill to everyone who advised me on this forum, this place is great for advise and info just for a place for someone to rant!

Now back to chasing down Thorntons and Harvey Norman!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,036 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

See above... We've been sale agreed now for 3 months, still waiting on contracts from vendors solicitors, can't blame that one on the banks

Are you sure that the vendors want to sell? That seems like more going on than just a slow solicitor. Surely the vendors would put the pressure on. Seems close to a malpractice issue if they are literally sitting on paperwork for 3 months for the sake of it

First time buying so no idea - hopefully not though

• Registered Users Posts: 17,903 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

You can if it's the deeds! We were waiting nearly 2 months for the contracts because of them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,007 ✭✭✭Shelga

Are you stuck in a chain? I’m a FTB and ready to move in tomorrow, but the woman I’m buying from is unable to find another place apparently, but I have no idea how hard she’s looking or what her search entails. It’s so frustrating.

I went sale agreed on May 17th and there is still no sign of contracts.

Nope, man who owned the house died so his 4 kids (who all own their own homes) are selling

• Registered Users Posts: 34,816 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Almost there myself, looking towards a closing date next week if we get a couple of things sorted by this Friday! I cycled by the new house yesterday and it's empty and ready for us to move in, vendor had moved out - so close to closing I almost wanted to just Jimmy the door open and plonk myself down on the living room floor :D

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭PropBuyer101

so vendor solicitor hasnt even sent the contract yet? has your solicitor been chasing the vendor solicitor? have you also emailed and called the estate agent? could you ask the agency to speak to another agent about the matter and ask if the intention still the same for the vendor? process is very slow but there sgoud be some communication and a timeline as over 3 months is a long wait for even sight of the contract. It still needs to be negotiated, signed etc. It is a very slow process though if that makes you feel better!

whats the status on drawdowns - is it still taking 5 days or are there delays?

i'd be really annoyed. what did the agent have to say for themselves

• Registered Users Posts: 4,766 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

Got keys today. Sale agreed since mid-March.

Relieved its over.

Took me 12 working days from the final checks, but I believe that PTSB is an outlier

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭Amik

Are there any banks that will process a mortgage approval while I'm on probation at work?

I lost my job earlier in the year due to a redundacy. Just a few weeks later my landlord gave us notice that he's selling the house. Best year ever. :P

I've found a new job in the meantime but my probation is as long as the rental notice. I want to be buying ready at the end of probation.

Advertisement