Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dun Laoghaire Traffic & Commuting Chat

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Homesick Alien

It was a Tuesday night after 11pm! What did you expect mardi gras?! And the people outside pubs after they close are "undesirables" not just patrons having a chat outside after leaving. You're just constantly contradicting yourself trying to find ways to moan about nothing. Either there was no one or there were people outside pubs, it cant be both.

The pedestrianisation is clearly meant to be more of a benefit during the day. Check it out sometime, it's been great. If you're honestly suggesting that because it's not thronged with people at 11pm it's pointless then I don't know what to say to you.

Also next time you could also take a left at York Road to avoid those terrifying narrow residential streets.

I dont like walking where there arent other people around so the seafront at Seapoint is an area I avoid, there will be no one there in the evenings once its dark, no cyclists, no pedestrians, no car lights on the seaside of the road.

Georges Street will now be similar, it will be a no go area where drunks and junkies will congregate, bus stops where people gather and provide security are gone too.

What is the point of closing this short section of road to traffic, its sending motorists driving through Monkstown down unsuitable narrow pedestrian streets while the main thoroughfare is empty once shops close.

You have both roads into Dunlaoghaire now closed to inward car traffic and I didnt see any sign last night advising Georges Street was closed, I may gave been too busy though trying to work out how to get to upper Georges Street as the normal route through is now closed.

By the way if you cycle to Dunlaoghaire through Monkstown im presume you cant cycle through the town now either.

Do you have to take a left at Bloomfield and then come back up the hill at Marine Road and then go via Patrick Street or wherever to get to the shops.

All so off putting, seriously, who would be bothered.

If the street is empty from 6pm on then yes its pointless.

The people hanging around looked like junkies, I didnt look too closely as didnt want to draw their attention.

Why would I take a left at York Road to get to Dalkey, why cant i drive through the main street of the town as i have done for two decades.

I know you will say so its so people can eat on the street but no one is going to do that after this week, it will be too cold and that part of Dunlaoghaire is so unattractive.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Holding a driver licence doesn’t make you a motorist.

Streets that are busy with cars, busses and taxis are by their very nature dangerous. Especially if one is stumbling out if a pub.

Post edited by ted1 on

• Advertisement

"Why would I take a left at York Road to get to Dalkey, why cant i drive through the main street of the town as i have done for two decades."

Indeed, why should you be inconvenienced for the benefit of the many? Why should anything ever change? I'm actually starting to come around to your way of thinking. You're very compelling.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,059 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

the vast majority of licence holders per the CSO are full licence holders, they will have driven a car at some point and are entitled to drive a car at any time, they are motorists unless you are trying to be deliberately obtuse. Which some of you seem to take great pleasure in.

Like I helped out on my uncles farm years ago, that doesn’t mean I’m a farmer..

just because one has a licence doesn’t make them a motorist

Tell you what Ted why dont we just agree to disagree, i stand by my assertion that the majority of adults in Ireland are motorists, if you disagree i really don't care. If you have any evidence to support an alternative position please present it, otherwise....

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭qb123

I said constructive discussion. That doesn't exclude negative comments by any means, and I think this used to be a good place to have some back and forth on these issues. My issue is that since Taxiperson joined he's done little but post the same comments debasing Dun Laoghaire again and again. If there was some variation or development of his argument, fine, but unfortunately that's not the case, it's the same points ad infinitum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭qb123

I'm not "bullying you off this thread." I've just said that you've made your points over and over again. Why not try a new contribution to the discussion?

Why not stop trying to control others opinions and just post some opinions of your own.

I will post what I like when I like, if its all the same to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭BKtje

Myself and the girlfriend are over for a week and absolutely love the changes to Dun Laoghaire. Makes it much more compelling to visit, shop and grab a coffee or whatever. Just spend some time there. There also seems to be much less abandoned/unused shops but I doubt that this is a by product of the road closure since it's recent. We could actually see ourselves moving back with these types of changes. Feels much more European.

I really disliked the old mainstreet when i lived here during my youth. Was narrow , smelly and noisy. Not to mention crowded and dangerous. The one way system was an improvement but this is even better!

As an aside, wasn't it only one way before so driving from monkstown through DL hasnt been possible for years?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,074 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

I daresay the businesses would love the problem of the crowds seen on the main street in my youth also, but that's another story.

You're correct, it hasn't been possible to drive any vehicle eastward beyond the Hospital entrance for 21 years now.

However the return of buses, taxis and cycles on a one-way basis is something a lot of us will be pushing very hard for. There's more to a community than coffee drinking ambience.

You could drive past Dunphys pub and on down that lane to Patrick street etc.

You also had the coastal route to Dunlaoghaire and thats gone now too.

Traffic is building back to normal now so the whole of South Dublin will be one big traffic jam.

Oh well, at least we will be drinking plenty of coffee and hopefully now that cars cant pull up to the charity shops to donate cast offs some of these shops will close down.

More retail space for the coffee shops, it will be great.

Which then meant you had to go down the side of penny's and around to marine road and back up to George's St. This is the ideal scenario you're pining after is it? You were very brave having to drive down all those terrifying dark laneways. I assume you kept your doors locked.

Another case of you contradicting yourself so you move the target again. Charity shops now is it? 🙄

Have you anything intelligent to add to the discussion.

I just received an email from a local TD re the changes to Deansgrange Road.

He has been very supportive of local residents in regard to issues causing unhappiness, very good at replying to queries and keeping residents updated.

I really cant see this being imposed on the local community, too much negative impact.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

Which TD?

Cormac Devlin.

“Cross party group of councillors have submitted a motion under S140 of Local Govt Act 1940 directing council to proceed with improvements but to ensure that Deansgrange Road remains two way”

The meeting should be very interesting, at the end of the day the public will only be heard through the councillors so it isnt right that decisions are railroaded through without elected councillors approval.

We might as well get rid of the Local Government structure if this is the case and just give the officials the power to do as they please.

That's kind of ironic coming from someone whose posts constantly constantly condradict themselves. But yes move the conversation on to something else as you always do when it's pointed out that you're talking nonsense.

• Advertisement

It's almost amusing that DLR exec would proceed with that line on Deansgrange when they know the Strand Road precedent is there.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Zaney

looks like the Deansgrange proposals are back on ice

Yeah the Council exec were facing a Sec 140 motion next week mandating them to implement a two-way traffic with cycling solution and theyve obviously backed down so as not to be hamstrung by that for now, and with that Strand Road precedent hanging over them they knew they'd be on a loser if they pushed it all the way.

I can't see anything changing fundamentally by January, but at least, for the moment, common sense prevails.

I think its traffic returning to normal that made them face reality.

That and the fact that they know councillors are getting it in the neck and the councillors were adamant this wasnt going ahead.

This is a very busy road and there is simply no where for displaced traffic to go. Its used by people visiting the cemetry, Dunnes Cornelscourt, Deansgrange village, the car showrooms, the library, Lidl, Aldi, IADT, the Rehab hospital, the Industrial Park, so many destinations.

why would planning permission be given for two Lidls and an Aldi if there was an intention to make this road one way, why would you move the driving test centre to this location too if reducing traffic is an objective.

Two millions euros is being spent on active school travel, enough of these hairbrained schemes now, an appalling waste of money.

I would agree with much of that. The area is a destination in and of itself, for a whole host of services and local enterprises. A case for diverting traffic from the very places it wants to get to is simply bogus.

You need to understand, when alternative options are provided and they take about traffic being displaced. It’s not too the roads, it’s people leaving the cars at home and using the alternative options

No, that's evaporation. Displacement is literally what it sounds like.

The Cowshed carpark in Glasthule is to have its second vehicle access reopened, to permit the safer one way in/one way out arrangement.

Already done, sanity restored it was a shambles with one entrance and exit combined.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,997 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Advertisement