Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team 2023/24 [old thread]

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,424 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

An 'unshakeable conviction' is something that can be thrown out at in nearly every football conversation. In football people are always rated against the expectations held, standing they have, on arrival at a team.

In terms of Kenny's standing as a manager who came from the domestic game his achievements there will be to his credit for people that followed that and held against him by those who simply don't rate those achievements. Taking a 'side' or 'stance' at the outset and not moving from it rarely adds to an actual discussion. It normally takes something very impressive to change a more negative outlook on a player or manager to a positive one.

While you question the 'unshakeable conviction' some posters may have, your own starting point was one of Kenny should not be there, other may ask about your own convictions. Your final comment about not having hope from what was always going to be a no hope campaign supports how at times any of us can find ourselves posting to confirm our own original stance.

Personally I had low expectations were low for Kenny to start with in terms of early results at least. I have no real expectations of what he can achieve over a longer time frame. I expect almost everyone is disappointed with how poor the results have been overall and in reality Ireland selected a manager who would also have a lot of learning and adapting to do.

In my view the results are not good enough and he should be under pressure. I see him as someone who has done some good things and deserving of more time at this stage.

All of the group fixtures for Ireland so far have been close and one goal would change the result (win,lose,draw). The time to be really worried would be when the games are not competitive.

The team is also low, very low, on real quality that will make the difference in scoring goals. The attack and midfield from the most recent squad have 11 goals between them. The attack has no goal scorer to build around. It is good to have a few Premier League regulars in the squad but when Kenny is selecting most of his team and squad from players at Portsmouth, Sheffield United, Wigan, St Mirren, Wycombe, West Brom, Preston, MK Dons, Norwich (reserves), Cardiff we can't really be surprised to see the team falling short or the wrong side of results when amongst them we have no quality forwards.

The team has capacity to improve thanks to some of the inexperienced players looking good in their own right and the manager can make adjustments to exert more pressure against the 4th and 5th seed teams at the very least. Getting to a point where the side can beat those sides is a must but it is going to be tough considering the selection options overall. The turnover of players between teams, squads so far has compounded problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

Robbie Keane has hailed Giovanni Trapattoni as a "credit to the country" as speculation over the Italian's future intensifies.

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭sterz

"I've seen over the years, people come and go, you have to move with the times."

Sounds more like faint praise tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Yes off the top of my head i recall Coleman had a go at Keith Andrews for talking bad about O'Neill , Enda Stevens also backed him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,129 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Of course the Premier League or it's Irish fans are not to blame for the state of Irish soccer but it has led to a strange disconnect where people have no clue what's going on at home which leads to them freaking out when Ireland are rubbish.

Also due to a lack of geographical connection a lot of Irish PL fans (or in my case Milan) were able to pick and choose a team and usually one that wins a lot which again leads to freaking out when having to support a small team like Ireland.

As for the LOI that then suffers due to a sort of snobbery where people shun it because the games are not in some shiny mega stadium. I understand why soccer fans support United or whoever but for the life of me I can't understand why you wouldn't also want to see a bit of live soccer down the road of a Friday night and it's already "a nice evening out for the family" kids don't give a toss about stadium capacity. The Markets Field is a tenner in the gate you could almost go to every home LOI game for the price of a Liverpool kit

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,989 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Think FB/WB is going to become a problem for us though. Many were asking why is McClean starting if all the talk is building a squad for Euro 24 qualifiers. But when you look at the four main guys who Kenny sees as his current best options:

Seamus Coleman will be 34, turns 35 towards the end of the qualifiers.

James McClean will be 34 a month into the qualifiers.

Enda Stevens will be 33 mid way through the qualifiers.

Matt Doherty will be youngest at 31 when they start.

We need to hope that between now and March/June that younger lads start making the breakthrough and putting there hands up for selection in next year's games.

Manning got his first cap in the nation's league, but played a grand total of 15mins over the three friendlies this year so far. Has so far played CB at club level which might further limit his chances with the national team.

Liam Scales was called into the squad, and has a good chance of making that LB spot at Celtic his own. His versitility will also stand to him being able to play CB.

Lee O'Connor I'll only just mention cause he was in camp this summer. He's back playing league two and his future might not even be at FB/WB.

Danny McNamara looks to be first choice at Millwall, and he's worked with Kenny at U21 level. If he remains Millwall's first choice once back from injury next month he'll surely have to get into some squads next year.

Peter Kioso has gone on loan to MK Dons, much to the disappointment of Luton fans who felt he shouldn't have been loaned out.

Joel Bagan is first choice at Cardiff currently but fans have been somewhat negative about him so far that he's not ready yet to be starting week in week out. But Cardiff don't really have money so he'll probably be first choice for them this season and recently with our U21s.

Can't think of anyone I've missed out on. Lyons for the U21s will probably have to move to a higher level before getting near a senior squad and Rooney has said Festy is wasted at RB and will feature higher up the pitch for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,603 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

He's being a bit harsh there. They were battered for 75mins but started to make their presence known in the last 15.

It's amazing though how the end of a game can colour your perception of an entire game. Flip the halves around and the game would've left a more sour taste in the mouth.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭Tchaikovsky

What's up with Brian Kerr? I thought he should have been given another campaign as Ireland manager but it was his conservative approach that cost us qualification for 2006.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Is there anyone at youth level who looks like they may be a goal scorer ?

We are in dire need of goals ,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,939 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

just came in to mention this. didn't he replace Robbie Keane with Graham Kavanagh vs Israel and gave up a 2-0 lead? We should've coasted through that qualifying group for Germany 06, but for Israel to get 2 draws, the one in Tel Aviv being a brutal last minute goal too.

• Advertisement

It's mad we can't find any type of goal scorer. Can't even find a big lump for headers or a Pippo Inzaghi type poacher who is crap at football but gets the right touch

• Registered Users Posts: 3,760 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

I like Kerr a lot but it is very hard not to feel that he is bitter over his time with Ireland. Always negative when discussing the Irish team. I think he feels he was harshly judged during his time in charge.

Ferguson, but the lads only 16 so it's gonna be years before we see him.

Colm Whelan scored for the U21s but he's 21 and currently with UCD. Not sure when his studies are finished but he'll definitely move across the water.

U19s haven't met up yet so not sure that strikers they'll have in the squad.

Think Idah could be a goal scorer for us but he's never gonna score if he keeps having to drop back towards midfield and never gets in the box. Think we need to find players that can support him because anyone coming in will have the same issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭Tchaikovsky

Should've won in Paris in the first game and had led in Switzerland with Roy Keane back. Incredible that we messed that group up. I was at that Israel game; the most infuriating match I've ever been at.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,461 ✭✭✭✭Zeek12

Needless comments from Kerr. He's been bitter towards the FAI for years and has not minced his words about Delaney (which I can understand). But he's allowing his dislike of the association to colour his comments on the manager and the team's performance imo.

To say we were battered is a total exaggeration. Serbia technically the better team yes - no surprise there. But over the two games v Serbia we lost out only by the odd goal in 7 and can consider ourselves unlucky to have just one point from those games.

Kerr's Irish team were not exactly heralded for courage or for putting teams to the sword. There were some limp and lifeless displays against Israel and the Swiss during his time which are better forgotten.

And with a squad packed full of Premier league talent too.

Good to see Jason Knight will be back for Derby this weekend.

Kerr had the greatest team to ever come through an Irish underage set up. It was hard to see at the time because we had been spoiled in the 90s but that team was exceptional. We feel like we are years away from ever having a team with that many or even any Premier League and Champions League winners in it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,914 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

All the corners came in the last 15 mins or even less. I think Bazunu basically saved Ireland literally. If it was 2-0 3-0 for Serbia people could not say it was 'unlucky'. That is the truth of it. Basically Serbia were 'robbed'.

I think the only way around the goal scoring issue, is to practice set pieces like mad, And drill them into the players. Badly need some variation in them, that is a threat as well..

Plus defensively Kenny needs to work on them as well. That is where he should be making a team of them. Otherwise I think Ireland has not much hope of doing much. No dangerous strikers and soft defending corners. Recipe for disaster in the long term.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,373 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Mentioning a player plays for Madrid and comparing him to Ronaldo aren't the same thing. I was making the point that their strengh and their depth is on another level when they are able to bring a Madrid forward off the bench and our option is a wannabe gangster playing for MK Dons.

I think that is a bit unfair on Kerr. Yeah I know Kerr feels he was shafted by the FAI etc. But he never sugar coats his opinions on games. He gives always his honest blunt assessment no matter who is playing. He does not sugar coat it. Going on about some fellas with 'dopey heads on them' during a WC or Euros etc.

If a random neutral pundit saw the last game. I dare say they would say something similar as Kerr's 'battered' comment.

Ok - they might not say 'battered' to be polite. But it would be something like:

'Looking at the number of shots and possession Serbia had, Ireland can count themselves very fortunate, and Serbia will be disappointed to have lost two points.'

--

Let's be honest, when a keeper is carrying a team and named MOTM, it is normally a fair indicator of what kind of game it was.

That particular team were playing not to lose, and were under severe pressure throughout the game. And were riding thier luck.

Post edited by gormdubhgorm on

• Advertisement

Because the rest of the world moved on while the FAI didn't give two **** and left player development to English clubs like it was still the 90s.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,775 ✭✭✭eire4

On the ball there with the lack of even a single striker in the current Ireland squad who is an established goalscoer. I would also add this issue is exacerbated by the fact we lack any playing making number 10 in the squad also and in general lack creative midfielders period. I have said before the current Ireland squad is IMHO the worst from a talent perspective since the early 70's. Thats 50 years! But the issues in the squad are even worse from a balance standpoint. Look at our goalkeeping situation compared to our striking situation. Talk about night and day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

It’s a pity that they won’t support their local club but then they couldn’t really cheer Ronaldo for scoring against their own country. I’d say some of them even put on fake English accents when their over there supporting “their” team.

Keeper situation really annoying, the only position that you can only play one of them. And Ireland has three solid picks now and two of them could be outstanding.

A few naturalised Irish - Brazilians might be the way to go. Belgium got that Olivera fella (who I remember caused Ireland some heart ache), unfortunately I don't think any Brazilian will be taking up residency in Ireland to play LOI football any time soon!

I have heard those fake English accents put on by Irish people in pubs, while singing English club chants. Really odd to me. But is the 'new normal' at this stage?

Post edited by gormdubhgorm on

The "battered" narrative is unfair. And an exaggeration imo.

We had 42% possession and played over 400 passes. The Irish team had the courage to go and play football against a side who are technically more advanced than us and definitely have a superior pool of players. Its a far cry from games like Georgia for example when we had a meager 25% possession, could barely pass the ball and were extremely fortunate to claim a draw.

Maybe we rode our luck at times at the back. And we're also short of a serious goal threat upfront. But we stayed in the game, were competitive, our midfield and wing backs played really well and we did enough to unsettle them and force an equalizer. That doesn't fit the description of battered at all for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

The majority of match going fans seem to be the ones willing to give Kenny a chance, whereas the majority of people who want to see him gone or who never wanted him in the first place are the ones who don't seem to attend matches and watch from the TV. Why is that? Reading back through the thread from during the match last night it was very negative, but then again these are the people who probably never go to games so I'm not sure how much stock to put in those views.

Being in the ground last night the feeling I got was that the supporters are 100% behind Kenny and his team. We have a group of good young players coming through - Bazunu, Idah, Omobamidele, O'Shea, Connolly, Knight, Collins, Parrott, Molumby to name just a few are all players who are new to this level but could have long careers in the national team. We need to give them a chance, you can already see the improvement in them since the opening games of Kennys reign.

Yes results have been terrible and a lot of improvement is needed but we need to have faith in these guys and give them an opportunity. I felt like last night was significant in that it was a night to feel happy leaving the aviva for both players and fans. I can count on one hand the amount of positive results we have had there in the last 5 years.

The fans supported the team when they went 1-0 down last night, they stayed back to applaud the team and management. There was a clear backing of the team by people who care.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,775 ✭✭✭eire4

Two shots the whole game and four corners - the first corner came at about 80 plus?? 'Staying in the game' is a good colloquialism for being 'battered' and not getting hammered on the 'score board' to me. If you were a neutral and watched the game what would you have thought of it, honestly?

You say courage to play football, I saw no fella who was picking passes being a threat. It was huff and puff with less hoofing. Mostly last ditch defending and a string of saves from Bazunu.

I will give you that Serbia are a good side. But they had the game won, were under no real threat until 'harem scarem' stuff at the end. It was desperation stuff from Ireland to try and get a goal. The goal did not result from 'playing football' it was direct old fashioned putting them under pressure stuff. Which said a lot to me what this Irish side is best suited to.

• Advertisement

But being"battered" and still coming away with a point against better opposition is exactly the kind of "pragmatic" football some people on here want

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,167 ✭✭✭shanec1928

Myself and another poster got slated when we said Doyle deserves a call up a few months back. Look at the few ahead of him really don’t understand how he hasn’t got a game when he’s banged them in at a good level when Ireland have been crying out for a striker.

https://twitter.com/SportsJOEdotie/status/1435627526026563591

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,634 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Gavin and Andrew great for ROI, lucky with a draw

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭RoryMac

I was at the game last night and yes there is strong backing of Kenny from the hard core of the support in the south stand and he got a great reception at the end of the game from them

Personally I feel he hasn't done enough to show he's the right man for the job, Serbia got very complacent last night and let us back into the game. I think the players themselves dug deep to get us back into the game in the same way as they did against France with Trap in charge.

Honestly we were very poor last night, sloppy in possession, again far to slow to close down, poor movement off the ball when in possession etc etc

The FAI will be delighted the fans are backing Kenny as it saves them a severance package but I don't see any signs of improvement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

That's interesting, I actually felt quite the opposite of that watching last night. Comparing it to performances against the bigger sides at home in recent years I felt like we looked more comfortable on the ball - Cullen and Hendrick were looking to get on it much more than the likes of Whelan or McCarthy or Hourihane typically did. Bazunu was a great help with his passing. I know we were losing and being outplayed but I didn't have any major issues with our first half performance.

Second half we weren't as good until we rallied for the last 15 mins or so when they allowed us back into the game as you said.

Over the course of the 3 games I think on an individual level, almost every player who was involved has come out the better, maybe one or two exceptions.

If we want to talk about Ireland getting "battered", we should really be looking at the 5-1 against Denmark. Or the 4-1 drubbing to Wales. Being honest I really don't put last night in that category (and I'm being as objective as any Irish fan can be. I still have some concerns about Kenny - but would prefer the commentary to at least be fair minded).

To say Serbia had the game won at 1-0 is of itself another exaggeration. Almost no team has a game won at that scoreline.

As for the frantic stuff at the end, well we've been watching that from Ireland for years. Squads with far more depth and better choice of players under Trap and MON did it all the time. Go back through O'Neill's qualifiers, and you'll see plenty of that last ditch stuff, throwing centre backs forward, forcing late goals etc. Hardly something that can be laid at Kenny's door.

Its a bad habit which has formed over many years and it wont change overnight. We lack forward players with a serious goal threat which is an additional problem. But there is no quick fix or magic wand to change it immediately

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭RoryMac

I wouldn't have said we were comfortable on the ball or at least not until the last 20 mins when the players really went for it. The passing around at the back between Bazunu and Duffy was a bombscare are that achieved nothing but pull the Serbians tight to us and we inevitably lost it as soon as we tried moving it further up the pitch.

The Serbians had great movement off the ball and used little 1-2's to make space and get behind us whereas we were far too slow moving the ball around and apart from the last 20 mins we never tried to get to ball to players facing the opposition goal.

There's certainly plus points with Bazunu, Omobamidele, McClean and Hendricks having very good games but the result for me was down to the complacency of Serbia more than anything we did

Love Doyle obviously being a Rovers fan, but he's 33 now and he was never capable of scoring in the Championship, even in his prime. Excellent League 2/decent League 1 striker but he's not an international for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,279 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Agree on this. Quite prolific at lower levels.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,220 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

Is there any reason that northern Ireland is more competitive than us at the moment? I thought they replaced their old manager when we did and they are a win away tonight from being second place in a competitive group. Their domestic league is worse than ours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

They’re over performing, we’re underperforming.

why? I don’t know. They certainly have no better goal scorers than we do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Really enjoyed the analysis on last night's game from VM. Agree wholeheartedly with Brian Kerr. For those that missed it:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,760 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

Post edited by DM_7 on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Because they don’t have ‘notions’ about thinking they have the players to play the ‘right way’. Instead first and foremost making themselves hard to beat with a bit of structure. Not playing football ‘the right way’ and instead playing to their strengths got them to Euro 2016. When they should of had no notion of getting there really.

Playing football ‘the right way’ when the players are not there to do it = playing football the ‘wrong way’ IMO. Especially at international level a manager of a weak nation has to play to a teams strengths. Use what is there.

The ROI’s strengths are still heart, fight, desire, never say die. And direct corners. It is no coincidence Ireland’s goals are still most likely to come that way. The tippy tappy side to side is way too easy to defend against.

Also the ROI loses its intensity when doing side to side tippy tappy for the sake of it. I am not saying hoof it - but direct fast intense pace is Ireland’s best chance of getting something in games. It was proven against Serbia in the last 15 when the Serbs switched off. All fairly obvious as far as I am concerned.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

So their constant loanee is a Madrid player, and our Spurs owned loanee is an MK Dons player. Hahaha

So against Serbia we played the right way according to you ?

NI never looked like getting more than a draw. The Swiss missed a poor penalty too.

Lots of effort from the North but they created nothing. One shot at goal in 90 mins.

No only in the last 15min Ireland were a threat when it was desperate stakes. And the opponents (Serbia) dominated the game prior to that spell.

Serbs were under feck all pressure prior and Ireland were lucky it was not 3 or 4 thanks to the obvious. That is just the reality. People are just talking the game up because it was less sh!te than the previous game. Plus the scoreboard said 1-1.

But the result was not because of Kenny’s ‘philosophy’ it was in spite of it. Direct intense football brought Ireland the most threat in the game. The very thing Kenny wants his players to move away from.

"Constant loanee" - He was loaned once for 6 months. He's currently a part of the Madrid squad. They paid like €70m for him and he was one of the best forwards in the Bundesliga. Parrott meanwhile has struggled to have any sort of impact in League One.

Your argument that Jovic has struggled to oust one of the best forwards of this generation (Benzema) and therefore he's basically irrelevant is hilarious.

But being a threat to Serbia for 90 mins would be considered "notions" by your standards

Again we were not lucky it was not 3 or 4 down some of our players players played well which made us not be 4 down

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement