Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No quitten we're whelan on to chitchat 11

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,550 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Man I know used to give his stallion stout. Not sure if it made any difference.

You'd probably be brought before the courts for animal abuse now for making a horse an alcoholic.

The Guinness family bankrolled hospitals in Dublin.

They were repayed by doctors advising their patients and pregnant women the black stuff.

Carries through to today with all our politicians wanting their photo taken with a pint. Even making it into the foodwise 2030 proposals of expanding the drinks sector.

If alcohol was only invented this year it wouldn't be allowed off the drawing board for health reasons. Same as a motorbike concept, etc, etc. But we're here where we're here. People looking back at the way things were fifty years ago think weren't they quare people then. Same in fifty years time from now.

Coca Cola started out as Cocaine mixed with wine. Endorsed by the Pope as a tonic.

https://www.thedrinksbusiness.com/2019/08/the-coca-wine-fad-a-brief-history/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,595 ✭✭✭StevenToast

Just looking for some expert opinion...i have about 20 acres excess grass that needs cutting......i have a man interested in coming in and baling it and taking it away himself.......what could/should i charge?

5-7 euro a bale or should i charge per acre...bearing in mind its 2nd cut silage and september? I dont want to take the p1ss....something reasonable but not too cheap either!

Thank you.

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Registered Users Posts: 29,550 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Did you put fertiliser out on it?

• Advertisement

How did your daughter get on in the cao offers?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,595 ✭✭✭StevenToast

No...but it got slurry and fertilliser in april before first cut....

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Registered Users Posts: 2,209 ✭✭✭DBK1

You’re definitely not robbing him at €5-7 per bale. If anything it’d be the other way around. Second cut might only have about 7 bales/acre so you’d be giving him the grass for possibly as low as €35 per acre. If you fertilised it you’d hardly be covering the cost of the fert.

Around here it would be generally €10 per bale and I’d think that’s a fair enough price for it for both buyer and seller

Another option around here is giving it to a dairy man for zero grazing if it’s not too strong. They generally pay €40 per load.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,569 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Great thanks.

She got her first choice, she had plenty of points in excess, 150 over

Because of her points she gets an academic scholarship, €1000 and guaranteed access to on campus accommodation with single en-suite room, she’s over the moon about this

hard to see kids getting maximum 625 points and not getting their first choose.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,569 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

• Advertisement

Hard to feel sorry for someone as stupid as that alright.

On another note I think the council should have a procedure in place where they can fine people for not cutting their roadside ditches. The amount of roadside ditches that haven’t been cut in years around here is crazy and there’s a lot of roads where cars used to be able to meet without even slowing down and now one would have to pull into a gateway to let the other past.

Around here the council have the ditches side trimmed.

I'd be lukewarm on this.

He'll probably send the lost revenue bill to the council which he's entitled to do.

With all these rules and regs now people don't know which way to turn. A case in the county here where both contractor and farmer were fined for cutting a beech hedge on the road. Was always cut since squat in July August. Contractor fined 1800 I think and farmer 2000? If they'd have left the top of the hedge they'd be fine. But someone passing reported and..

You can be fined for cutting a ditch.

But if your ditch grows out and blocks the road no fine. 😀

The council just side trim the ditches at junctions and around the bends on any of the smaller roads around here. And even at that they only done a lot of them in the past few weeks which is really too late in the year from a safety point of view.

Also I don’t see why the council should have to pay to maintain someone else’s ditches? Fair enough doing the bends and junctions or trimming back something that a farmer had already done before the closed season. But if the landowners are leaving it to the council to do they’re work then there should be a way for the council to charge them for that.

It’s only through either laziness or greed that the landowners aren’t doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,567 ✭✭✭roosterman71

Disagree. It's only in the last few years (not sure when exactly) that the onus was moved from the council to the landowner to manage roadside ditches. My father spent many a year trimming hedges and verges for the council. It's a cop out for the council to move ownership. Why should it be the landowners responsibility to manage the road? You're not allowed fill potholes for safety reasons. You're not allowed straighten bends for safety reasons. You're not allowed open a gate even in a hedge! Why then is it the landowners responsibility to ensure the hedges are managed? If the road floods do you have to go out and fix it? Or do the council come along and just create a hole and let it flow off in the nearest field and screw you over? A few years ago in the heavy snow wasn't there a lot of talk of farmers being responsible if they damaged a road while clearing it.

Section 70 of the Roads Act 1993 (hereafter “the 1993 act”), provides that the owner or occupier of any structure and land must take reasonable steps to ensure that any structure on the land is not a hazard, or a potential hazard, to persons using the public road.

The obligations of land owners and occupiers are laid out in the 1993 Act.

Under Section 70(2) of the 1993 act, the owner or occupier of land is obliged to take all reasonable steps to ensure that a tree, shrub, hedge or other vegetation on the land is not a hazard or potential hazard to persons using a public road, and that it does not obstruct or interfere with the safe use of a public road or the maintenance of a public road.

Section 81 of the 1993 act states a person guilty of an offence shall be liable on summary conviction, to a fine not exceeding €1,238.70 or, at the discretion of the court, to imprisonment for a term not exceeding six months or to both such fine and imprisonment, or, on conviction on indictment, to a fine not exceeding €12,386.97 or, at the discretion of the court, to imprisonment, for a term not exceeding two years, or to both such fine and imprisonment.

Post edited by Say my name on

Exactly. Pure selective as hedge maintenance is a time consuming annual job. So throw the work somewhere else.

Milk tanker driver has often asked us to fill the potholes our lane, we do it. Why would the driver be expected to drive up a road that would damage his lorry?

• Advertisement

Sorry Roosterman but I think that’s a poor argument. The landowner owns the ditch so should be responsible for maintaining it. If for no other reason than just courtesy to your neighbours and fellow road users it should be done.

There are a few bad 90 degree bends within a few hundred metres of my yard. I don’t own the land on any of them bends and unfortunately the people that do own them are it the lazy/greedy category and don’t want to pay anyone to trim them.

I get my hedge cutter man to trim around the bends every time he does my hedges. For the bit of time it takes him it’s probably not costing me any more than €40 or €50 a year and the neighbours are happy as it makes the roads safer for everyone using them.

And there you are now paying for someone to do a job that someone else is responsible for. Of course the neighbours won't cut it cos they know you will. I've lads like that beside some of my land. Landowner normally owns out to the middle of the road. Are you now responsible for filling the potholes? If someone falls on that road is it your responsibility? It's a joke.

@whelan2 careful with filling in holes on council owned stuff. Anything happens, they'll come after you. Happened to a man outside Portlaoise in 2004. He filled in potholes outside his house. Someone slipped on it in frost and the council sent him to the mans place for compo as the hole wasn't filled with the required components, no H&S when the job was done, no engineer signed off. Cost him 20k in court.

I only do around the bends which would account for a very small percentage of his hedges.

It benefits me to have them cut as I use that road a lot as well as employees of mine driving my machinery. I’d much rather spend the small amount it costs every year to keep the bends safe and help to avoid an accident that could cost a lot more than just money.

Along the straights they are growing wild for years and the tractors and lorries have to drive in the middle of the road to avoid breaking mirrors off the branches.

Maybe I was just brought up different to some people and maybe I’m in the minority but to me it’s just courtesy and manners to try and keep the place safe for everyone.

I suppose I better not tell you I also clean the council gulleys on one of the bends to prevent the road from flooding in the winter too or you’ll really have it in for me!

Haha! Not at all. Do the same myself.

Last weekend there I was cutting hedges across the road from our house. Got up to the entrance to the housing estate up the road and the estate agent and the developer who are in finishing it told me to sling my hook and don't cut the bit at their entrance. It's about 10ft away from the end of our land and cars coming out of the estate have to have the nose of the car on the middle of the road to be able to see out. More than once I've nearly taken the nose off one as it popped out when I passed. Other neighbours have no such issues as it benefits them too around gate entrances, etc.

Luckily enough for me the road hedges are mostly back in off the road with a grass verge between them and the road and don't have to manage them outside of the open season.

I still say roads and their safety are a council issue.

Some people are bastards who do nothing and expect others to do it for them. Actually, was in the pub one night a few years ago and overheard a lad crowing about how my father was out trimming the hedge outside his house so he could have sightline down the road to get in and out safely. Pure delighted with himself that someone else was doing stuff they should be doing themselves. Got some land when I reached in beside him to pick up my pint

• Registered Users Posts: 6,688 ✭✭✭jaymla627

Neighbour decided to peg the remains of her wildflower meadow over to my side on top of electric fence, some neck on her

I'd throw it back over

Same as that. And if it came back into my side again I’d be leaving it at her front door the next time!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,688 ✭✭✭jaymla627

Was back over her side within 10 minutes of seeing it,

• Advertisement

Advertisement