Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit discussion thread XIV (Please read OP before posting)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,831 ✭✭✭RobMc59

I can't stand the tories or brexit,I've just stated facts.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,074 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

I misunderstood then. It sounded to me like you were claiming that the expanded non EU trade routes were negating the losses

No,I realise UK's trade has suffered as a result of brexit.In addiction I'm unhappy at the thought of hormone-treated beef,chlorinated chicken or pork from horrendously inhumane pig farms.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,194 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

But isn't that a trick of the figure?

On your pie chart of trade partners, if trade with the EU declines by 10%, trade with other people must increase by 10%.

It doesn't capture the overall value of trade has decreased by £X billion.

Following brexit all countries in Europe are finding new trading partners.Germany(Europe's largest economy)is doing that(as is Ireland as you have pointed out).The UK, Europe's second largest economy is also doing that.Pointing that out isn't anti EU.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,657 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

But that's terrible news for the UK. It's not as if there is a rival European Single Market it can do business with.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

You make it sound like all countries around Europe, including the UK, are rejiggjng their trading partners as if it were a routine spring clean when in fact EU countries are simply moving away from UK sources. As for the UK, they are desperate for trade deals because of the void created as a result of Brexit. Hence why the UK government celebrate any new trade deals as victories from Brexit, hiding the fact that the new deals are not better than what they once had.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,511 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

They're not "drifting apart". They are being driven apart. By policies freely and unilaterally adopted by the UK.

The UK isn't finding new trading partners so much as finding fewer trading partners. UK exports are falling because fewer people want to buy them. Currently, exports to non-EU countries are not rising to partly offset the fall in exports to the EU; they are in fact falling faster than exports to EU countries are.

Imports (from both EU and non-EU countries) are still rising, though modestly, but this is almost certainly due to the fact that the UK has not yet begun to apply the bulk of its import control processes. When they do, the expectation is that imports will fall.

If trade between the two largest economies in Europe is reducing both parties have to try and offset this by trading elsewhere Whether this is with new trading partners or increasing trade with existing trading partners is splitting hairs.Your claim UK trade with non-EU countries is stagnant is incorrect as illustrated in this US link.

https://ustr.gov/countries-regions/europe-middle-east/europe/united-kingdom

If EU-UK trade is diminished by barriers resulting from Brexit, both the EU and the UK may hope to develop alternative markets. It doesn't follow that they will succeed. Things don't happen just because we would like them to. Brexit gives the UK a reason to want to increase trade with non-EU countries, but it does nothing - nothing at all - to position the UK to actually increase it.

Your claims that trade with non-EU countries is increasing is backed up with information only about trade with the US. More to the point, the figures offered only go up to 2019, and so of course relate to the period before the UK brexited. Brexit happened on 31 January 2020, and the transition period ended on 31 December 2020.

The UK's Office of National Statistics provides figures which cover all of the UK's trade, not just trade with the US, and it provides more up-to-date figures. The most recent trade statistical bulleting covers the period up to June 2021; it was issued in August. It confirms that total UK exports fell by 2.2%, with exports to non-EU countries falling faster, by 5.6%. That fall is probably down to Covid-related issues rather than to Brexit but, nevertheless, it doesn't do much to support the notion that non-EU markets have been successfully developed to offset the inevitable Brexit-related fall in EU exports.

The bottom line here is that Brexit will inevitably tend to reduce the UK's trade with the rest of the world. People will hope that the reduction can be minimised by keeping it focussed on trade with the EU, and perhaps even partly offset by developing trade with the rest of the world, but this won't be easy and, so far, there isn't a lot of evidence that it is being achieved. There can be no assumption that it will happen; Brexit does nothing to leave the UK better-positioned to develop its trade with the rest of the world; anything the UK can do in that regard it could have done before Brexit. And, if it was likely to be effective, wouldn't they have done it before Brexit?

• Advertisement

I'm not making stuff up. It's literally the first point in the latest ONS trade bulletin that you link to:

"Total exports of goods, excluding precious metals, fell by £0.6 billion (2.2%) in June 2021, driven by a £0.8 billion (5.6%) fall in exports to non-EU countries; mainly because of falls in medicinal and pharmaceutical products and cars."

• Registered Users Posts: 33,951 ✭✭✭✭listermint

I'm not making anything up so there's no need to resort to insults..

I posted a US link which clearly shows US-UK trade has increased. Also,why are you constantly trying to introduce Ireland into a discussion about how trade between Germany and the UK(The two biggest economies in Europe)is changing?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,716 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

It is a fact of gravity in trade that you will do more business with your immediate neighbours than anyone else.

The loss in European trade can never ever be made up elsewhere.

Even the most ambitious possible US trade deal with the UK is estimated at best to only add 0.3% total to UK GDP.

It's miniscule.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,194 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Think the issue is that your source is slightly out of date.

It's hard to get a clear picture because of COVID and year-on-year trade can vary wildly.

Personally, I think looking at trade is a moot point for the next year. Until the shadow of COVID disappears.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,756 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

You used an out of date source that predates the pandemic. Relying on this isn't a good idea to project how the UK will trade with the US going forward.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

Future UK governments will have to try and undo the damage done by Brexiteers and Leave voters. The idea that Britain can shut out the EU Single Market and do the bulk of its trading with the Far East and the Americas for decades to come is ideological nuttiness. It would be like Japan refusing to trade with anyone in Asia and insisting on doing the majority of its trade with Europe or the US only.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,998 ✭✭✭Christy42

I see the DUP are launching another assault on the protocol. I don't get it, Boris went into the election on the back of his oven ready deal and won a large majority on the back of it. If the DUP decided that they will go against this and stop it from happening then Nationalists should just refuse to deal with the assembly until the UK rejoins the EU. I am no fan of Boris by any stretch of the imagination but this is what the UK voted for just like Brexit.

Never mind that it is the first piece of good news for the NI economy since I don't know when.

• Advertisement

You're using ONS figures to support your claims and yet in your earlier post from a couple of weeks ago you're questioning the accuracy of ONS..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭Fionn1952

Edit: misread

I think at this stage everyone knows the DUP's default position on everything is either "No! No! Never!" "Grrr Dublin!!!" or "It's a Popish plot!"

If they collapse the NI Assembly nobody really cares. It suits all other NI political parties (on both or even all sides), the Irish Government, the British Government and the EU to have the DUP face an election, or to have them just out of the picture for a few years.

They don't seem to even comprehend that.

From the EU's point of view they are a far right/ultra nationalist and religious fundamentalist party in a region of a 3rd country. Nobody in their right mind is going to engage with them and they do a horrendous amount of damage to Northern Ireland's reputation abroad.

I know there's a bubble of myopia in Northern Irish commentary, but they need to take a look at how it seems from a distance. It's the same kind of politics as being spouted by the fringes of the GOP in the US deep south most of the time.

If they want to collapse the assembly - go for it! It'll be a huge sense of relief for most people and opinion polling would suggest their chances of getting back into this position of power are extremely low.

If they collapse the NI Assembly nobody really cares. It suits all other NI political parties (on both or even all sides), the Irish Government, the British Government and the EU to have the DUP face an election, or to have them just out of the picture for a few years.

Bear in mind that NI is still not in a good way in terms of the pandemic. Bringing people together to vote would not be in the pubic interest.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,311 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

But I'd argue kicking DUP out of assembly (their mandate shrinkage will be insane) would be and hopefully stop Boris to treat DUP as some kind of NI representative...

Honestly, I don’t think at this stage that would make much difference.

People can socially distance. Polling stations are easily and well managed environments. Voting just isn’t a high risk activity.

You can also make good use of postal ballots for anyone who has to avoid voting in person.

I really don’t think COVID practicalities would factor in to it, but the public analysis of the parties’ responses to COVID would likely weigh heavily on how people might vote.

The problem with the DUP position is that they are proposing no alternative. If the protocol is scrapped, where does the hard border between the third country UK and the EU go? There has to be a hard border and customs checks somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,998 ✭✭✭Christy42

I believe that is the point. They can't outright state that the border has to go within Ireland but they can oppose anything that doesn't involve a hard border on the island.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,706 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Would the EU agree to anything the DUP are suggesting? And will the UK Gov countenance the repercussions of the DUP getting the NI protocol binned?

There will be a new German Chancellor soon who will want to make his mark - what better way than hold Johnson's feet to the fire?

• Advertisement

The EU are not going to negotiate with a small party in a province of the UK. I think the DUP were well under 20% in the most recent NI opinion poll. They will insist that all negotiations are between the British govt and the EU.

Advertisement